WvW Team Priorities

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: ThunderCat.8395

ThunderCat.8395

Why is it that WvWers constantly ask for things that everybody would be happy with, and what they get is stuff that either divides the community or almost everybody in the community adamantly opposes?

I don’t think you would hear a single complaint if the next WvW patch notes looked something like this (except for the people who would complain that you did not take these solutions far enough):

-Fixed issue where party members who go offline could not be kicked from group

-Fixed glitch in NW tower of borderlands where people attacking the gate in a certain way (won’t post how here) can get inside the tower

-Upgraded and optimized servers to reduce skill lag in large confrontations

-Fixed the queuing issues where a player who just queued can get in with a 5 minute wait while a player who has been waiting for half an hour is still stuck.

-WvW rank chests now drop a guaranteed rare just like world boss chests and the chances of an ascended item or an exotic increase with your WvW rank.

-All ascended crafting mat drops in WvW have been increased so that they can be gathered at the rate PvE players can acquire them

-Enemy players now have a low chance to drop one of the PvE champion chests

-Badges of honor can be traded for basic ascended crafting materials

-Separate GvG arena has been added which can accommodate even teams of 10-25 players. Players will be allowed to use consumables and PvE gear sets. Some sort of round system has been set up. Teams may GvG unofficially, or compete in paid, ranked GvGs in which each guild will be ranked on a leaderboard similar to the ones used by tPvP players. Spectator mode will be allowed. Stacks will be cleared between rounds.

If you were to take WvW in a direction like this, instead of deploying updates that will drive people away, like we fear that the coming orbaggeddon will, you might see a fewer threads constantly complaining about these issues and more players thanking you for giving the WvW community things that it actually wants.

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I would be very happy with those changes.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Obscure One.4357

Obscure One.4357

WvW is a sinking ship. We know it. The development team knows it.

Patching up the holes is hard when the ship is already out to sea. Thus all they’re capable of doing is just having the band play their violins for everyone who hasn’t abandoned ship. They’re grabbing buckets and bailing water when they should be changing their course to patch up the ship in the shallows.

To costly to justify development of something that was essentially never finished before launch.

By December this year WvW will be nearly dead. By February 2014 Arena Net will have a layoff. By Q4 2014 GW2 in its entirety will no longer be relevant to market competitors, as most servers will be ghost towns.

Feel free to quote me as these events occur.

Circumventing profanity filters one kitten at a time.

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Ostra.3927

Ostra.3927

Sad… so sad but I think you are right Obscure. The date may be extended however if some of the big named MMOs flop… the GW2 is on the verge. One good MMO release for PvE (Everquest Next maybe) will draw all the carrot on a stick people Anet catered to instead of their loyal fanbase… and one good PvP/RvR game (Archeage? Camelot Unchained? Elder Scrolls Online?) is all it needs to suddenly and dramaticly become yet another in a long list of flash in the pans MMOs.

They had a chance… and they ruined it by deciding the quick buck was better then the long stretch. So many things they should have focused on to become the next truly unique MMO that could stand for years, wasted by targeting the wrong group of players.

They wanted WoW…. they got Warhammer.

Please get your priorities straight Anet.
Stat increase = gear grind.
Gear grind = no money from me ever again.

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Arja.3594

Arja.3594

True, WvW is a sinking ship. But why? Is it because of flaw design or because of Anet not caring? I believe it still can be saved. But only with fixing issues and adding new staff. Not with adding siege masteries and supporting zergs…

In February there was promised big WvW update. 6 months later, where is it? Was it canceled?

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

While I would appreciate better loot I would still complain because those aren´t the changes they promised us.
Fixing things like the party issues or skill lag and adding new content doesn´t exclude each other. Especially since different people work on them.

In February there was promised big WvW update. 6 months later, where is it? Was it canceled?

That would have been the removal of culling and the addition of world ranks and wxp I believe.

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Konrad Curze.5130

Konrad Curze.5130

despite its innumerable flaws, Warhammer was a billion times better RvR game than this one

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I think the problem is that the dev team doesn’t know it. They appear to be extremely out of touch with how most of WvW looks like and is played.

It’s probably time to rotate the current WvW dev team to, say, the Living Story and move some new people in.

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Manuelito.6081

Manuelito.6081

Patching up the holes is hard when the ship is already out to sea. Thus all they’re capable of doing is just having the band play their violins for everyone who hasn’t abandoned ship. They’re grabbing buckets and bailing water when they should be changing their course to patch up the ship in the shallows.

To costly to justify development of something that was essentially never finished before launch.

By December this year WvW will be nearly dead. By February 2014 Arena Net will have a layoff. By Q4 2014 GW2 in its entirety will no longer be relevant to market competitors, as most servers will be ghost towns.

I may add: don’t forget that the market will soon provide players with better structured games (especially for PvP: arena, various battlegrounds and 40vs40).
Time to catch up with them or lose your player base, Anet.

[ROCK]
Desolation

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Mizhas.8536

Mizhas.8536

I would add to that list boon and buffs party priority so if any of a party members gives aoe boons is that party members in range the first that will get those buffs.

This would be a hell of a change for WvW.

Oh and copy the warhammer warband group system too.

(edited by Mizhas.8536)

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

It’s sad now when any discussion with fellow WvWers always ends up with “can’t wait for XXX <new game>”

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Elochai.1280

Elochai.1280

Captain doom and gloom has showed up folks. We’ll see how it turns out. I think their capable of improving wvw. Biggest concerns should be ui, matchup balance, and breaking the zerg meta.

Elochai Rendar 80 Warrior/Anskar Rendar 80 Necromancer/Rylea Rendar 80 Thief/Kento Rendar 80 Ranger
Commander

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Elochai.1280

It’s sad now when any discussion with fellow WvWers always ends up with “can’t wait for XXX <new game>”

Pfft don’t you know a large chunk of gamers and mmo players go through games like a fat kid goes through cake these days? Its a fact. People in general go through video games much faster these days. MMOs take a bit longer. This doesn’t surprise me. There’s not many games out there were most of the initial population sticks with after a while.

Elochai Rendar 80 Warrior/Anskar Rendar 80 Necromancer/Rylea Rendar 80 Thief/Kento Rendar 80 Ranger
Commander

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Chiolas.1326

Chiolas.1326

Captain doom and gloom has showed up folks. We’ll see how it turns out. I think their capable of improving wvw. Biggest concerns should be ui, matchup balance, and breaking the zerg meta.

Captain doom and gloom is right.

Since the game launched, for over 1 year now, we haven’t been able to do a simple thing as kick a party member who is offline. Based on that, thinking that they can improve WvW is simply idiotic.

Quit WvW and Gw2 in August 2013

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Elochai.1280

The wvw team isn’t in charge of the ui. They’ve said that. It’s bad that they havent changed it yet. Their capable of improving it. We’ll just see if they do. However, if you are only capable of seeing negative outcomes why are you still here?

Commander

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Pfft don’t you know a large chunk of gamers and mmo players go through games like a fat kid goes through cake these days? Its a fact. People in general go through video games much faster these days. MMOs take a bit longer. This doesn’t surprise me. There’s not many games out there were most of the initial population sticks with after a while.

Short attention span kids. I would not want to call them gamers.

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Elochai.1280

Like it or not much of the people who populate these games are kids and regular players/gamers who do in fact go through games much faster than they used to.

Commander

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

despite its innumerable flaws, Warhammer was a billion times better RvR game than this one

True. It’s truly sad they couldn’t keep that game running and even more tragic they decided to go for 2 factions only.

One – Piken Square

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Arja.3594

That would have been the removal of culling and the addition of world ranks and wxp I believe.

Not sure. Fixing culling didn’t add anythink new into game (except skill lags). It was just fixing half year old issue and beta test for later PvE fix.
WXP… It didn’t add a lot for wvw players as well. It has same value as server score for me. We’re getting both while playing and it doesn’t improve time spend in game. It only supports zerging, wxp trains and bragging. It does more damage than good.

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: MarMaster.6241

MarMaster.6241

WXP → rank 10 guard defense → 5 stacks applied vitality

I see a lot of this now. WXP fotm.

Not imbalanced at all.

Dragonbrand (JQ) [FIRE]bats ~ Trusted member of the Universe
Mar Steadfast G, Silent Intrigue T, Mar Fidget Engi, Mar Fierce W, Silent Awe M
In GW2 since BWE1 ~ ~ ~ Guild leader of Legio Romana [LR], too

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Chiolas.1326

Chiolas.1326

The wvw team isn’t in charge of the ui. They’ve said that. It’s bad that they havent changed it yet. Their capable of improving it. We’ll just see if they do. However, if you are only capable of seeing negative outcomes why are you still here?

Being another team’s responsability is no excuse, the other team should have worked on that ASAP (like one year ago). Being occupied with PvE is also no excuse, since WvW is what makes GW2 unique.
I’m not only capable of seeing negative outcomes, however I stopped calling them out after WvW was ignored for the first two months of the game, I’m not going to start now that the WvW team (that has 2 devs as far as we know) is appearing to move, in the not so right direction it seems. It takes little time to lose the customer’s faith, it takes a lot more to regain it.

Quit WvW and Gw2 in August 2013

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Yid.3024

Yid.3024

I agree there are a lot of obvious issues being untouched, but the things mentioned in the OP, while very frustrating, seems like smaller fishes that can be fried on the side while they steer the big ship. I am more concerned about WvW itself as a game type, and very unhappy thakittens core issues are seemingly not getting enough action.

For example, they say WvW is not supposed to always be fair and balanced, which I understand, but then they often treat WvW like it was one of the 90%+ of competitive games that are built with the premise of being fair and balanced. The game is supposed to be often played in unfair/imbalanced scenarios, but it does little to keep itself engaging for all players involved in said scenarios? That’s a gigantic issue in my eyes(both when you are on the winning or the losing side), which they have been way too timid on fixing.

Adding additional objectives, cool, hosting a big event to renew some hype for wvw, great, adding nice little things like new wvw abilities and rewards, sure. But to me that feels like adding cool icings and fruit bits on a cake that’s half-baked. People play WvW cuz there’s nothing quite like it(at least in gw2), and they often enjoy themselves, but I think Anet can and should provide them with something a lot better.The game type right now feels way too fragile and missing vital parts, it’s not nearly up to the standards anet has set for themselves, building on top of that can wait a little.

Polish the core of the game type itself. That’s my personal priority list.

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Luiz Swordbreaker.6547

Luiz Swordbreaker.6547

Honestly, some of those things would take more coding time, which I think ANet doesn’t allocate much to WvW. Almost all the changes we’re seeing are map design/balance etc. That said, I think everyone would be happy with the patch if it was.

-Everything they are doing, except for removal of the stat buff on the Bloodlust.

I don’t think anyone wanted to keep the lake there. The revamp of the map could bring some new life into the game. What I don’t understand is why they are willing to throw all that (6 months?) work down the toilet because Devon wants to go through with the stat buff no matter what, even if that single BALANCE point is pretty much making everyone rage over a patch that would otherwise have people praising them for the design changes.

[Scnd] Use Your Illusion

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

Player driven development… this can’t possibly go wrong. :rolleyes:

But seriously. Your suggestions unlike so many others are actually nice. Just put them where they belong and let developers decide what to implement or not.

One question about GvG. Why do people insist playing it under WvW/PvE context rather than sPvP where all guilds would have access to equal gear?

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Arja.3594

One question about GvG. Why do people insist playing it under WvW/PvE context rather than sPvP where all guilds would have access to equal gear?

Mainly because of gear variety. In sPvP you have limited options (8? 10?) of amulets. In WvW you can choose what you want. For example knight armor + zerker jewelry is not available in sPvP. Or the new dire set. And more diverse stats provide more builds. Each person can choose by switching few pieces of armor if their stats will be more tanky or more glasscannony.
Other reasons are: sPvP wil never be 10+vs10+ or deathmatch type. GvG guilds do more WvW than GvG so why to split the community?

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

True, WvW is a sinking ship. But why? Is it because of flaw design or because of Anet not caring? I believe it still can be saved. But only with fixing issues and adding new staff. Not with adding siege masteries and supporting zergs…

A bit of both in my opinion, they clearly didnt expect it to be as popular as it has become and with the the fact that is has ALOT of issues, lag and everything else with numbers they kind of shot themselves in the foot

then we got on to the fact that because the messed it up from the start they cant now fix it without it costing money and they clearly dont want that. So its just a matter of time before its death is confirmed as Anet seems intent on making it die a slow and painful death with everything they do adding another nail in the coffin

They are ignoring what we want and adding stuff that we dont want, dont need and only makes the experience worse….

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

Why is it that WvWers constantly ask for things that everybody would be happy with, and what they get is stuff that either divides the community or almost everybody in the community adamantly opposes?

I don’t think you would hear a single complaint if the next WvW patch notes looked something like this (except for the people who would complain that you did not take these solutions far enough):

-Fixed issue where party members who go offline could not be kicked from group

-Fixed glitch in NW tower of borderlands where people attacking the gate in a certain way (won’t post how here) can get inside the tower

-Upgraded and optimized servers to reduce skill lag in large confrontations

-Fixed the queuing issues where a player who just queued can get in with a 5 minute wait while a player who has been waiting for half an hour is still stuck.

-WvW rank chests now drop a guaranteed rare just like world boss chests and the chances of an ascended item or an exotic increase with your WvW rank.

-All ascended crafting mat drops in WvW have been increased so that they can be gathered at the rate PvE players can acquire them

-Enemy players now have a low chance to drop one of the PvE champion chests

-Badges of honor can be traded for basic ascended crafting materials

-Separate GvG arena has been added which can accommodate even teams of 10-25 players. Players will be allowed to use consumables and PvE gear sets. Some sort of round system has been set up. Teams may GvG unofficially, or compete in paid, ranked GvGs in which each guild will be ranked on a leaderboard similar to the ones used by tPvP players. Spectator mode will be allowed. Stacks will be cleared between rounds.

If you were to take WvW in a direction like this, instead of deploying updates that will drive people away, like we fear that the coming orbaggeddon will, you might see a fewer threads constantly complaining about these issues and more players thanking you for giving the WvW community things that it actually wants.

you forgot to add:

-A reward will be given to players successfully defending a base.

-Event’s and other activities have been added inside bases that: can speed up the process of various activities and updates, offer a rare chance to get top tier mats upon completion, and generally keep players busy when staying inside a base!

-Dolyaks walk/run faster when they are escorted by players.

-Now the champion reward chest will be given upon succeeding an even of taking over a base instead of beating the champion him self.

…and don’t be toxic!

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Manuelito.6081

Manuelito.6081

Short attention span kids. I would not want to call them gamers.

it is true that a portion of ‘gamers’ jumps relentlessly to another <new game> as soon as the neighbor’s grass is greener; however, I think we are at a stage where committed/dedicated players are really gonna move to other fields (PvPers and WvWers are the ones who interest us in this threat, but the migration of PvErs will be even bigger), in my case I sadly saw/see in-game friends, IRL friends and big guilds simply abandoning the game every day.
The WvW Season is a nice concept, but I think it came too late and not followed by enough novelty and simple/important fixes (at least from a players’ prospective).

[ROCK]
Desolation

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Nothing they add to WvW matters as long as the skill lag makes all large battles unplayable (and at the same time make most of the map unplayable at the same time).

One – Piken Square

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Yid.3024

Yid.3024

you forgot to add:

-A reward will be given to players successfully defending a base.

-Event’s and other activities have been added inside bases that: can speed up the process of various activities and updates, offer a rare chance to get top tier mats upon completion, and generally keep players busy when staying inside a base!

-Dolyaks walk/run faster when they are escorted by players.

-Now the champion reward chest will be given upon succeeding an even of taking over a base instead of beating the champion him self.

Nice ideas. I especially like the dolyak one. Maybe it can have a little ring around it like a capture point, and give everyone inside the circle(including the dolyak itself) a speed boost when out of combat. And at the end of its course, it can give event success credit/wxp to everyone who was inside the circle, so people can feel encouraged to care about dolyaks even when they are not being hit by monsters.

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

I think it’s blatantly stupid to proceed with the orb buffs when 95%+ of forum responses are steadfastly against, & even more stupid to kill off a grassroots competitive PVP mode like GVG when Anet’s version of competitive PVP (sPVP) has totally flopped.

downed state is bad for PVP

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

all i want for christmas is my player to automatically pick the loot in WvW.

whats the point of AOE loot when i still have to press the button to pick them up?!?!

I should be focused on fighting not stopping to see where the loot drop

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

I would like to see repaired party UI so I can kick those offline users and invite new users by clicking on their name in chat.

WvW Team Priorities

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

To answer the question:

1. The technical fixes you list clearly cannot be fixed. Or it is extremely difficult. Or the fix would break something else. So we can stop asking for those.

2. The rewards, sure, who knows why they don’t give WvW more rewards. But I would also say be careful what you ask for. I don’t think we want the rewards in WvW to be equal or greater than PvE – because then people will just come in to PvE. Witness the ascended drops leading to people just training around flipping stuff and letting the oponents flip it back that people have been posting about.

3. GvG Arena. They can’t even fix the bugs or create a new WvW map. How do you expect them to create a whole new arena and game type – essentiall a whole new game? That would take years.

(edited by Johje Holan.4607)