WvW appeal to usual non pvp players?

in WvW

Posted by: DrDivine.5378

DrDivine.5378

I recently decided to try WvW for the first time, I usually don’t play pvp in mmos, the closest I’ve gotten to that was in Warcraft and even then it wasn’t my main focus.

After playing WvW for about a week so far with friends and guild mates, it’s quickly becoming my favorite game mode. xD

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Word. The reason I bought gw2 was for the gw part. There isnt quite anything like seeing 60 red names all charge at you.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

DrDivine.5378

Word. The reason I bought gw2 was for the gw part. There isnt quite anything like seeing 60 red names all charge at you.

I feel somewhat disappointed I never gave it a chance before because WvW is awesome. I thought it would be more similar to a standard pvp match, but it’s a lot more strategic.

in WvW

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

More Strategic???.. you really haven’t played WvW a whole lot for sure.
Strategic WvW passed into the ether a year ago.. today all that is left is Zergwars and PvD. there is nothing more than someone shouting “X” server is at “Y” tower 30+ and a blue tag answering on our way, stack and go…

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

Strategic WvW passed into the ether a year ago.. today all that is left is Zergwars and PvD. there is nothing more than someone shouting “X” server is at “Y” tower 30+ and a blue tag answering on our way, stack and go…

move to a competitive WvW server

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

I recently decided to try WvW for the first time, I usually don’t play pvp in mmos, the closest I’ve gotten to that was in Warcraft and even then it wasn’t my main focus.

After playing WvW for about a week so far with friends and guild mates, it’s quickly becoming my favorite game mode. xD

WvW is very fun. Being with friends and a wvw focused guild enhances the experience. Enjoy your stay

in WvW

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I’m in CD, a Tier 5 in the moment so probably not a ‘’competitive WvW server. But still a 30+ Zerg is not that frequent and not a lot of group can PVD a door to death except maybe against a unprotected, unseige paper tower. A lot of commander are only staying follow me and shut up which can ruin the experience of some people. I prefer to explain what are my plan so people can understand what I’m trying to do. Usually i get really good comments when i do that and people seem to feel more their importance in the game.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in WvW

Posted by: Arnon.1563

Arnon.1563

People on the upper tiers think their experience is the norm. I have never experienced and organized karma train. If we get a 40 person zerg it’s considered big. I’m used to being outnumbered in fights. We have to try and use strategy because of this.

in WvW

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

I’m in CD, a Tier 5 in the moment so probably not a ‘’competitive WvW server. But still a 30+ Zerg is not that frequent and not a lot of group can PVD a door to death except maybe against a unprotected, unseige paper tower. A lot of commander are only staying follow me and shut up which can ruin the experience of some people. I prefer to explain what are my plan so people can understand what I’m trying to do. Usually i get really good comments when i do that and people seem to feel more their importance in the game.

By ‘competitive’, he means 60 man BG blobs running into 20 man SoR guilds. Outcome is about 50-50.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

DrDivine.5378

This is my opinion, and I’m someone who doesn’t normally play PVP in mmos, but some of these extra elements in WvW really do make it more strategic. Yes there are zergs, but it has to be organized. S Imply going to the gate head on got us killed by the enemy faction who were using the castle mechanisms to kill us. I joined a guild that does competitive WvW regularly and I’ve learned a lot of what I know from them. Even when we’re outnumbered, we still come out on top half the time because a well organized team is much more deadly.

in WvW

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

I hate spvp, but I love WvW….same here Doc. I’ve played since the early Betas, but it took me a couple of months out of roll out before I ventured in.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I’m from IOJ, and our current match u…… eerrr….

The scores this week between the 3 servers currently fighting eachother in our tier this whole week have been 3k point difference, it’s not always this exciting but welcome to WvW and try to keep in there when you faceroll or get facerolled

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

in WvW

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I agree sephiroth, this ’’things’’ will decide in a couple hours and its gonna be close. RIght now we are feeling IoJ right in our back ; ) An epic week.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in WvW

Posted by: Sreoom.3690

Sreoom.3690

WvW is very strategic and tactical…the most fun I have is running with a small havoc team capping supply and guard points deep behind enemy lines.

“The Leaf on Wind”
JQ Ranger

in WvW

Posted by: albotelho.2931

albotelho.2931

I like both sPvP and WvW, but I just cant play sPvP for more than 1 or 2 hours… and sometimes I stay days without playing it….

But I play WvW everyday and spend a lot of hours on it, it is just because open world PvP is much more dynamic, anything can happen, a thief may try to get you, a zerg can be just on the corner… you have space to kite, there are many different strategies… it could be better for sure I see much more issues to be fixed in WvW than sPvP but nevertheless I still prefer WvW.

Turig Wolfsbane Norn Guardian
Rangrorn Charr Necromancer
Ultimate Legion [UL]

in WvW

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

I play almost exclusively in WvW these days, and have been for nearly 10 months now. It’s much more strategic than any other game mode currently. Move to a competitive tier or find a good guild.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I just feel maps and towers are dammn to small and easy to take, the rest is the only thing i like in the game.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Aeonblade.8709

I just feel maps and towers are dammn to small and easy to take, the rest is the only thing i like in the game.

Now this I agree with. The fact that you can fit all 4 maps in GW2 into one realm’s map from DAoC says a lot.

I mean seriously, one of the great things about DAoC was the size and scope of RvR, which is one of things really missing from WvW. It would take you 20 minutes to run across a single realm’s RvR map in DAoC, whereas you can traverse and entire borderland in about 3-5 minutes in GW2.

in WvW

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Welcome to the wonder that is WvW!

I play wvw for the teamwork and the strategy. Just the way I did in DAoC and Warhammer Online. Other MMO’s (WoW/RIFT, etcetera) are usually more individual-focused and rarely strategic.

There’s also that old thing called realm pride.

I’ve yet to ever run in a Karma train. My 4-man guild loves playing swat team and doing things that should not be possible (like taking a keep or tower with seconds ticking on the timer.) We love coordinating with our server family to assist where we can, updating keeps if it’s strategic to do so, +5 ing those necessary supply camps, taking ruins, enjoying the challenge of siege placement and those delightful skirmishes when we run into other small groups. And if we need to defend… there we are. We will help out PuGs and other guild groups when the call goes out. Then break back off and go back to our preferred playstyle.

Yes. That all happens on BG.

There IS variety of playstyle in WvW, even on a crowded T1 server.

Find what you love most and enjoy!

Much <3 to BG family since release.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

in WvW

goldenwing.8473

Now this I agree with. The fact that you can fit all 4 maps in GW2 into one realm’s map from DAoC says a lot.

I mean seriously, one of the great things about DAoC was the size and scope of RvR, which is one of things really missing from WvW. It would take you 20 minutes to run across a single realm’s RvR map in DAoC, whereas you can traverse and entire borderland in about 3-5 minutes in GW2.

Amen.

Although most of the action ended up in Emain, lol.

Bigger maps would be fantastic!

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

in WvW

Posted by: Liza.2758

Liza.2758

By ‘competitive’, he means 60 man BG blobs running into 20 man SoR guilds. Outcome is about 50-50.

such a sad time for SoR …..
Being in T1 is like a waste of spot now. You should go down to play with Magswag.
anyone that still wanna play to win … should move to JQ…

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

WvW is actually a lot of fun.

It’s too bad that most people on Blackgate apparently don’t know anything about WvW (bigger maps? transfer off lower population servers to higher population?).

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: Liza.2758

Liza.2758

It’s too bad that most people on Blackgate apparently don’t know anything about WvW (bigger maps? transfer off lower population servers to higher population?).

I admit that there are probably a lot of pug transferring in but what make us steady are those core guilds. They have been with server since mid tier and never left.

in WvW

goldenwing.8473

styx, you ever play pre-Frontiers DAoC? The RvR zones were huge, all of them different worlds, large lands that required careful travel. GW2 WvW has managed to have everything in a small repeatable instance which can make for easy (travel-wise), quicker turnover. That’s not a bad design given the overall point structure.

However, it has more of the feel of a WoW/WoW clone mini-map, than something, I dare to use the word, epic.

As for population, BG is a family. Haven’t seen a lot of BG folks advocating transferring one way or another.

-BG since release

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

in WvW

styx.7294

styx, you ever play pre-Frontiers DAoC? The RvR zones were huge, all of them different worlds, large lands that required careful travel. GW2 WvW has managed to have everything in a small repeatable instance which can make for easy (travel-wise), quicker turnover. That’s not a bad design given the overall point structure.

However, it has more of the feel of a WoW/WoW clone mini-map, than something, I dare to use the word, epic.

As for population, BG is a family. Haven’t seen anyone on this thread advocating transferring one way or another.

I haven’t played DAoC but I’ve played Guild Wars 2. A lot. Much of the WvW maps are fairly empty. I wouldn’t mind if they did away with waypoints to increase transit time but spread out what might be less than half a dozen people across larger maps is a lil’ divorced from reality.

And….

Move to a competitive tier

I’m not making fun. I understand after being on Blackgate so long, your family telling others to transfer to higher tiers has just become so natural to you that you don’t notice it.

Incidentally, my server is also a family. Keep that in mind.

Gate of Madness

in WvW

goldenwing.8473

As for population, BG is a family. Haven’t seen anyone on this thread advocating transferring one way or another.

I haven’t played DAoC but I’ve played Guild Wars 2. A lot. Much of the WvW maps are fairly empty. I wouldn’t mind if they did away with waypoints to increase transit time but spread out what might be less than half a dozen people across larger maps is a lil’ divorced from reality.

And….

I’m not making fun. I understand after being on Blackgate so long, your family telling others to transfer to higher tiers has just become so natural to you that you don’t notice it.

I respect that, sir.

And realize that in GW2 my experience on a high pop server is different. I have played multiple MMO’s over the last almost 14 years where that has not been the case (forced transfers, merges, and decimated population.)

Was not trying in anyway to diminsh your experience.

I get exasperated with “just transfer” remarks because that may solve the problem for a few individuals, it does not address any of the core issues.

/salute

in WvW

styx.7294

And….

I respect that, sir.

And realize that in GW2 my experience on a high pop server is different. I have played multiple MMO’s over the last almost 14 years where that has not been the case (forced transfers, merges, and decimated population.)

I get exasperated with “just transfer” remarks because that may solve the problem for a few individuals, it does not address any of the core issues.

/salute

Sorry about all the snark. There’s fewer posts comin from the lower tiers, so I try to be extra loud!

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Aeonblade.8709

And….

I respect that, sir.

/salute

Sorry about all the snark. There’s fewer posts comin from the lower tiers, so I try to be extra loud!

Hehe, another thing to keep in mind is DAoC’s entire end game was based around RvR, so you have several hundred people in each realm at any given time, as well as having fewer servers total I believe. The population was much larger than WvW has ever allowed in GW2, so the bigger zones seemed more full.

[A guard from your guild’s keep has been killed with 177 enemies in the area!]

:D

in WvW

Posted by: Arnon.1563

Arnon.1563

In my experience the RvR zones weren’t full. There were no quick response ways to get to a keep. The call went out an a huge force showed up and ran for a long time. You couldn’t smash down doors quickly. You had to carry the right kind of supplies and it made you slower and cost money. Taking a keep was an undertaking not a quick zerg activity. Defending a keep was far easier than taking one. Each realm had unique but similar classes. Ah the forums would be a joy with ranting of this and that class is OP.

in WvW

goldenwing.8473

In my experience the RvR zones weren’t full. There were no quick response ways to get to a keep. The call went out an a huge force showed up and ran for a long time. You couldn’t smash down doors quickly. You had to carry the right kind of supplies and it made you slower and cost money. Taking a keep was an undertaking not a quick zerg activity. Defending a keep was far easier than taking one. Each realm had unique but similar classes. Ah the forums would be a joy with ranting of this and that class is OP.

Well, 52 classes is a lot to try and balance. We’re having “trouble” here with just 8.

RvR was a long time investment and no, I do not miss being encumbered, or paying for door repairs, never mind having to cart all the materials back to the keep to repair it. And for all that, if you went to take a keep, you meant business. There was an almost epic feel to it.

I do miss the almost grandiose territorial feel of keeps in RvR. And DF.

Back to the topic at hand

For GW2 PvE players or PvP players who have never experienced RvR, I can see the attractiveness of this “next gen” hybrid that GW2 has. There are players that can jump in and get their feet wet and get “rewards” in a very quick fashion. They can do that solo, in a small guild group or a large guild force. Players can log on and in an hour feel like they have done something. Even it it’s just supply camps.

Thing is, DAoC also ended up with BGs and Passage of Conflict. WoW/clones had the ability for just pure RPG-PvP in small contained areas.

I see posts out here with folks looking for “real” skirmishes, for clashes that aren’t strategic but mostly tactical. Much like those fights in DF when it turned and PoC.

Not sure what the new maps in GW2 will provide, or how they will end up being used.

One thing that GW2 got right was a “low barrier to entry” for WvW. Sometimes it means folks like the OP try it out and like it.

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

How many people you think are going to run 20 min. across the map? I know people who complain about running across the BL maps.