WvWvW is so empty!

WvWvW is so empty!

in WvW

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

I’m glad it’s not just my server. The shinies are so shiny in pve right now it feels like we’ve lost everyone, even those who don’t think wvw sucks now, is dying, etc. I’m putting a lot of nervous hope into tonight’s announcements.

WvWvW is so empty!

in WvW

Posted by: Dutchares.6084

Dutchares.6084

WvW has become/or always was a game to farm.
Join the karma train and get rewards.
At the moment the reward is better somewhere else, so the karma train has moved too.

I hope they change WvW soon so it becomes about the fights.
Not the loot, or other rewards.
Being in a challenging hard fight should be rewarded.
Not some brainless no skill karma training.

So hard challenging fights = good and fun (should be rewarded)
Easy, no skill stuff = bad and mostly boring (should be less rewarded)
At the moment it is the other way around.
Meaning wvw attracts the brainless farmers.
And WvW players getting bored and quit.

Any suggestions on how they measure “hard challenging fights” and then reward them appropriately? Not being sarcastic, but unfortunately that seems far more difficult than reward concrete objectives like tower defense/capture.

What would be the QUANTITATIVE (not qualitative) pieces of a challenging fight? Equal numbers? Length the fight lasts? If you increase rewards because your 5v5 is fighting for 30 minutes…that is too easily exploitable by both sides getting together and agreeing to drag it out. Do you punish someone when a fight is 5v5 for running into and helping (thereby making it 6v5 and no longer balanced)? It is much more difficult to decide a reward system around “challenging fights” which is a much more qualitative statement than “You captured this tower, +100 points awarded”.

Now one slight change they could do is adjust the rewards for objectives (Towers and such) based on the number of enemies present. You cap a tower that had 30 enemies defending it? You get a larger reward than that zerg that just stole a tower with no one there.

But then you could make the argument that perhaps no one was there because that zerg was ultra sneaky and they just stole that tower using grand strategy. Should that not be rewarded?

Reward for objectives:
Every objective has a certain reward this reward will be divided over all the players that help take the objectives, or (if to many) a random x number of players.

Reward for killing enemy players/npc’s:
Every player and NPC is worth a small amount of reward. For every x minutes(or point thick) this person/npc didn’t die, he/she/it will be worth a bit more . For every player a person kills he/she also will be worth a bit more.

Both objectives and Players:
All rewards will increase if the total of players of your server in the zone is smaller then all enemy players / 2. How bigger the difference how bigger the extra reward is.

Point ticks:
Decrease the point thick you get for objectives (camps:1, tower:3, keep:7, sm:10)
But the points you get for objectives will grow for every x enemies in the zone.
(so taking objectives(pvdooring) when everyone asleep gives a lot less reward and points then having objectives during prime time)

Above a few small changes that would make WvW a lot challenging since players will run in as small as possible groups (of course they will increase in size if the enemy group is better or bigger, but the reward they will get if they do will be smaller)
And the point system becomes less about who has best 24/7 coverage. And more about who performs best during prime time. Having more numbers during off hours while the enemy doesn’t isn’t a defiantly win.

(edited by Dutchares.6084)

WvWvW is so empty!

in WvW

Posted by: drwookie.6391

drwookie.6391

Drwookie

its simple, the more people used to do ANYTHING in wvw…the less of EVERYTHING you get. DONE bro, its not a new concept to gaming.

What MMO has implemented a method like that? The major problem I foresee in that is you have a free roaming PvP environment where you actively encourage people to be exclusive, to not like other people to come near them or their group, to “kick people out” of the group because they want to maximize their reward. The problem with that is A. It seems like it would create a nasty atmosphere and B. You would either end up with tools implemented to effectively kick those people out, or get them away or you would end up with essentially just people getting angry and yelling at each other

I’m just curious what games out there have successfully implemented it so I can look at how they did. You make it sound like it’s been done plenty of times before so clearly those issues have been dealt with. Just curious. In a very shallow way it seems like a nice idea for sure though.

WvWvW is so empty!

in WvW

Posted by: Ranger Hussy.9523

Ranger Hussy.9523

Hate that for ya. I don’t G v G, I think its a pretty cool concept though. One thing that bugs me in WvW is people getting upset because your not playing the content the way they want you to play it. My philosophy is have a good time. Be it by Zerging, Roaming, PVDoor, Epic 50+ people fights, or 3v1, and many many more things. Letting someone or some guild make you quit because they play in a style you don’t like, well that’s too bad.

it is a cool concept, do it where its supposed to be done, oops anet doesn’t think gvg is so cool, no place made to do it which totally blows because it was fun in gw1, and as to how folks want to do it is why i don’t bother anymore, they have their choice as do i and it’s better for all involved for me to move on to something or someplace else rather than try to foist my ideas or opinions off on anybody else

Guild {PPP} Guild Leader

WvWvW is so empty!

in WvW

Posted by: BlazeQ.1095

BlazeQ.1095

Hate that for ya. I don’t G v G, I think its a pretty cool concept though. One thing that bugs me in WvW is people getting upset because your not playing the content the way they want you to play it. My philosophy is have a good time. Be it by Zerging, Roaming, PVDoor, Epic 50+ people fights, or 3v1, and many many more things. Letting someone or some guild make you quit because they play in a style you don’t like, well that’s too bad.

it is a cool concept, do it where its supposed to be done, oops anet doesn’t think gvg is so cool, no place made to do it which totally blows because it was fun in gw1, and as to how folks want to do it is why i don’t bother anymore, they have their choice as do i and it’s better for all involved for me to move on to something or someplace else rather than try to foist my ideas or opinions off on anybody else

I hear ya, Even if they did a Guild arena like they did with guild halls in GW1 I am not sure people would be happy. Especially if it followed PvP skill nerfs and Equipment limitations. Too many people have learned that WvW gives you a greater range of builds because you can tweak your equipment slightly enough to make other builds viable. I see GvG bieng in WvW for a long time coming.

More recently I have also seen a ton of new commanders pop up that make me question why I still do WvW. But then I have to remind myself “each to their own”. I don’t how many people I have upset because I don’t see things the way others see it and just try to play the game the way I enjoy. But having people complaining and coming to me crying because I wasn’t where they wanted me to be has become cumbersome.

Cold Beerdrinker
PB Officer
NSP

WvWvW is so empty!

in WvW

Posted by: Ranger Hussy.9523

Ranger Hussy.9523

lol that too blaze, i haven’t left nsp and seriously doubt i will, been here since the pre beta so lets call it a break from drama, dragons and kitten never seem to im spouting crap lol and as to the gvg yeah if they did it like w v w for setting up and maps folks might go for it but if they slap all the limitations of pvp on it then no way which sucks monkey rear end

Guild {PPP} Guild Leader