[ELE] RTL cd

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

Warriors have 20 weapon skills (we are talking about weapon skills here) -snip -

What is this ignorance? Warriors do not have 20 weapon skills. They have exactly twelve weapon skills available at all times, including the burst skills. Learn to Warrior.

On topic: RTL does not need a reversal of the nerf.

The skill is not really comparable to Rush. Sure, both have 1200 range, but rush does not track it’s target as RTL does. RTL is effected by knockdowns, but not by other movement imparing effects (such as cripple). Rush, on the other hand, is effected by all movement-impairing effects. RTL can be used to negate fall damage, and to even attack a foe from off of an elevation ( a cliffside) without taking the falling damage that would normally result, or to cross gaps that are too far to jump. Rush can do none of that. RTL has an AOE attack at the end of it, Rush has a single player attack, which does not even cleave. Both skills are buggy, but that is a bug issue and not a balance issue. Comparing RTL and Rush also ignores other factors related to balance between both professions.

RTL needs to be bug-fixed, as does Rush, but does not need a reversal of the previous nerf.

The tracking only helps you when it is used as intended, a gap closer. Furthermore not taking damage from falling, what server are you playing on because I’d like to play there.

The OLD rtl projected you in a straight line, now you simply stop and fall at the end of it, sure you can trigger it close to the ground but the extra momentum will likely kill you if the fall was high enough anyway.

As for crossing gaps, yes I’ll admit we have a range advantage, but Savage Leap can be used with way more finesse than RTL every could.

True RTL isn’t affected by certain movement impairments but it also isn’t affected by movements aids like swiftness which benefit every single other movement skill available to Warriors.

As usual you show your bias Havoc, asking for fair treatment for Elementalists isn’t that much to ask for.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Kyon.9735

Kyon.9735

Warriors have 20 weapon skills (we are talking about weapon skills here) -snip -

What is this ignorance? Warriors do not have 20 weapon skills. They have exactly twelve weapon skills available at all times, including the burst skills. Learn to Warrior.

The skill is not really comparable to Rush. Sure, both have 1200 range, but rush does not track it’s target as RTL does. RTL is effected by knockdowns, but not by other movement imparing effects (such as cripple). Rush, on the other hand, is effected by all movement-impairing effects. RTL can be used to negate fall damage, and to even attack a foe from off of an elevation ( a cliffside) without taking the falling damage that would normally result, or to cross gaps that are too far to jump. Rush can do none of that. RTL has an AOE attack at the end of it, Rush has a single player attack, which does not even cleave. Both skills are buggy, but that is a bug issue and not a balance issue. Comparing RTL and Rush also ignores other factors related to balance between both professions.

RTL needs to be bug-fixed, as does Rush, but does not need a reversal of the previous nerf.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ride_the_Lightning

Please.

- Both RTL and Rush don’t track targets.
- Both Rush and RTL doesn’t give you ANY damage immunity.
- RTL is not affected by cripple/chill but not buffed by swiftness while Rush is affected by cripple/chill but buffed by swiftness. Compare how much time you’d be crippled/chilled to how much time you have swiftness.
- RTL does not negate falling damage.
- Both skills are buggy and is hard to hit but RTL rubberbands, Rush doesn’t.

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Mbelch.9028

Mbelch.9028

Please.

- RTL is not affected by cripple/chill but not buffed by swiftness while Rush is affected by cripple/chill but buffed by swiftness. Compare how much time you’d be crippled/chilled to how much time you have swiftness.

This response is accurate. RTL SHOULD be compared to Rush. They’re a very similar skill, and Rush is on a super low cool down.

It does need a revert. It just doesn’t need a revert on distance. 1200 (unaffected by swiftness) is perfect.

-Nex, [FEAR] Elementalist
https://www.youtube.com/user/GW2FearGaming

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Posted by: MonMalthias.4763

MonMalthias.4763

RTL for elementalist honestly needs only a few changes to make it useful again. The first is to fix the skill such that a “hit” is registered as such on Block or Aegis as originally promised on the GW2Guru April 26th 2013 SOTG .

• As a further buff (optional), RTL could also be made to go into short CD on Evasion or Blind because it was used as a gap closer. But I think making RTL go into short CD on Block or Aegis is definitely the first thing to alter. Giving short CD on Evasion or Blind may take a little too much risk out of RTL.

The second thing to change about RTL is to change the cooldown from 40 seconds max cooldown, 20 seconds when halved to 30 seconds max cooldown, 15 seconds when halved.

• 30 seconds max cooldown is still punishing for Elementalist and 15 seconds definitely re-emphasises RTL as an engagement tool over its escape utility.

I’m honestly confused as to why there is so much discussion revolving around Warrior’s GS Rush and comparing RTL to it. It’s completely off topic – not to mention entirely useless as comparing 2 professions is an apples and oranges thing. Why persist?

Iva Malthias – 80 Engineer
Marellune Malthias – 80 Elementalist
Devil’s Dominion [DD] – Yak’s Bend

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Mbelch.9028

Mbelch.9028

The persistence is because other classes should be punished similarly, or ele should be reverted. Simple.

I’d accept 30/15, but I would prefer 20 or 25 seconds across the board.

-Nex, [FEAR] Elementalist
https://www.youtube.com/user/GW2FearGaming

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ancient Ranger.3276

Ancient Ranger.3276

So then you are tell me that warriors do not have a weapon swap? All professions Except Elementalist and Engineers have access to 20 weapon skills at any given time (if they are above level 7) due to weapon swapping.
You also need to check you sources on RTL the AoE damage at the end of the spell is only triggered if you hit the target, and RTL is only non-affected by cripple and chill but also not buffed by swiftness. Rush can be traited to remove your conditions upon activation so we can also say rush or any movement skill on a warrior is unaffected by immbo, criple , and chill making it better than RTL.
Also Rush it affected by swiftness making it a longer range than 1200 while RTL is unaffected by swiftness giving it the same range at 1200.
You can’t use RTL to negate falling damage, when in fact it will actually increase the fall damage you take. On another note some of the time if you RTL down a Cliff (I don’t mean off the cliff I mean like down the ramp) you will take continuous fall damage.

Before you go around calling people ignorant you need to make sure you have valid information.

Éleura Elementalist’s on YB
Elementalist
#Ele

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

agree that CD needs dropped (and bug fixed). 25 seconds.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

RTL was a problem in WvW !

No
Never was and never will be….

Nobody said that! devs declared the opposite…

P.S: and no anything over 20 makes your gap closing abilities rubbish.
20 is a lot already….
D/D need rtl at 20 fixed if not 15 at least used as gap closer even against stealthing opponents…

If RTL stays as a long CD skill it remains only a disengage skill because nobody will risk wasting it and that makes offensive/balanced D/D builds uneffective and kitable

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(edited by LordByron.8369)

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

RTL
- 20 sec CD
- Chained Skill: You teleport back where you start RTL
- Total immunity during skill.
- Utilites are enabled.

Just compensating needless nerf.

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Posted by: piffdaddy.8014

piffdaddy.8014

Rtl absolutely needs it’s cd reduced. 20 or 25 seconds. The skill never hits the majority of the time, even when used in a pve rotation for damage it will still go on the 40 second cd which is absurd and also the biggest evidence of class bias (since warrior rush and 3 gs skill are spamable and put you way farther than 1200 range all on a much shorter cd)

(edited by piffdaddy.8014)

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Posted by: havoc.6814

havoc.6814

As usual you show your bias Havoc, asking for fair treatment for Elementalists isn’t that much to ask for.

I have no bias, and have thrown my support behind buffs to the elementalist profession in other threads, the last example being the thread asking for a reveal mechanic for eles. Calling me biased is a pretty cheap trick on your part. But hey, if that’s the only way you can discuss things, then go ahead and stoop….

So then you are tell me that warriors do not have a weapon swap? All professions Except Elementalist and Engineers have access to 20 weapon skills at any given time (if they are above level 7) due to weapon swapping.
-snip-

All professions do not have 20 weapon skills available due to weapon swap. Your weapon only decides your first five skills. Swapping weapons gives you another five skills in these slots. The last five skills (Skills 6-10) are based upon weapons and do not change with a weapon swap. Thus every profession except elementalist gets 2 sets of skills 1-5 (for a total of 10 skills available in those slots), plus 5 skills in slots 6 – 10 (bringing the total to 15 skills, of which only 10 are weapon skills) Professions also get their profession specific skills, which in the case of the warrior is a single burst skill on each weapon swap. Thus the warrior has a total of 12 weapon based skills (including their burst skills) and five additional skills (one of which is a heal and one an elite). Elementalists get a few more skill (a total of 25; 20 of which are weapon-based skills), Engineers can also get more skills by using kits in their utility slots. I am totally surprised at the need to explain this to you. Do you even play the game at all?

On topic: it seems some of the things I stated about RTL are no longer valid, although the Wiki link still claims them to be so. It is also apparent that many of those asking for a revert know little or nothing about the very skill they are so apt to compare RTL to.

RTL is basically fine. A small reduction in the cooldown would not hurt it though. A total revert would. From me a huge “no” to a revert, but a “maybe” to a cd reduction.

All in all, I think the skill should be fixed before it is buffed in any way.

(edited by havoc.6814)

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Kyon.9735

-snip-

All professions do not have 20 weapon skills available due to weapon swap. Your weapon only decides your first five skills. Swapping weapons gives you another five skills in these slots. The last five skills (Skills 6-10) are based upon weapons and do not change with a weapon swap. Thus every profession except elementalist gets 2 sets of skills 1-5 (for a total of 10 skills available in those slots), plus 5 skills in slots 6 – 10 (bringing the total to 15 skills, of which only 10 are weapon skills) Professions also get their profession specific skills, which in the case of the warrior is a single burst skill on each weapon swap. Thus the warrior has a total of 12 weapon based skills (including their burst skills) and five additional skills (one of which is a heal and one an elite). Elementalists get a few more skill (a total of 25; 20 of which are weapon-based skills), Engineers can also get more skills by using kits in their utility slots. I am totally surprised at the need to explain this to you. Do you even play the game at all?

On topic: it seems some of the things I stated about RTL are no longer valid, although the Wiki link still claims them to be so. It is also apparent that many of those asking for a revert know little or nothing about the very skill they are so apt to compare RTL to.

RTL is basically fine. A small reduction in the cooldown would not hurt it though. A total revert would. From me a huge “no” to a revert, but a “maybe” to a cd reduction.

All in all, I think the skill should be fixed before it is buffed in any way.

Please give a VALID reason why you’re so opposed to it? All your comparisons to RUSH were made invalid already. We’re trying to compare “gap closers”, not weapon sets. What’s the point of having many skills when you’re having trouble closing the gap between you and your target?

(edited by Kyon.9735)

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

havoc.6814

Please give a VALID reason why you’re so opposed to it? All your comparisons to RUSH were made invalid already. We’re trying to compare “gap closers”, not weapon sets. I don’t see why you’re bringing it up. What’s the point of having many skills when you’re having trouble closing the gap between you and your target?

Double post? There is an edit feature….
I am opposed to a revert of the previous nerf because I feel that that nerf was a valid step in the right direction. I feel that if the bugs were fixed, this would be a really good skill. I am not opposed to a small redction in the cd of this skill, just to a revert of the nerf. Also, all of my points regarding the caomparison of RTL and Rush were not invalidated. A few of them were, most of them still stand. (RTL still tracks, is still not effected by movement impairing effects such as cripple or chill, still does AOE damage….).

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Kyon.9735

Please give a VALID reason why you’re so opposed to it? All your comparisons to RUSH were made invalid already. We’re trying to compare “gap closers”, not weapon sets. I don’t see why you’re bringing it up. What’s the point of having many skills when you’re having trouble closing the gap between you and your target?

I am opposed to a revert of the previous nerf because I feel that that nerf was a valid step in the right direction. I feel that if the bugs were fixed, this would be a really good skill. I am not opposed to a small redction in the cd of this skill, just to a revert of the nerf. Also, all of my points regarding the caomparison of RTL and Rush were not invalidated. A few of them were, most of them still stand. (RTL still tracks, is still not effected by movement impairing effects such as cripple or chill, still does AOE damage….).

Did you even read my earlier post? Let me copy paste it for you…

Again, it’s pretty much crystal clear. Anet nerfed RTL because it wasn’t being used as a gap closer like it was intended. The range fix was fine but the cooldown penalty is an overkill. GW2 has the very same issue right now, why is it that other classes get to enjoy that “privilege” while one class was punished for it?

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

havoc.6814

Again, it’s pretty much crystal clear. Anet nerfed RTL because it wasn’t being used as a gap closer like it was intended. The range fix was fine but the cooldown penalty is an overkill. GW2 has the very same issue right now, why is it that other classes get to enjoy that “privilege” while one class was punished for it?

From the very RTL link you provided:
-“If a foe is targeted, you continue moving until you hit your opponent, tracking its forward motion.”
-I spend a great deal of time crippled and chilled as a warrior. Don’t even think you get to dictate to me how often I am effected by movement impairing effects. You do not.
-Rush can also rubber band, it has happened to me. Rush will also get hung up on very small rocks or other obstacles, RTL will not. Both skills are bugged, that is not a balance issue however.

I stand on my points and call you wrong on your corrections.

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Kyon.9735

From the very RTL link you provided:
“If a foe is targeted, you continue moving until you hit your opponent, tracking its forward motion.”
I spend a great deal of time crippled and chilled as a warrior. Don’t even think you get to dictate to me how often I am effected by movement impairing effects. You do not.
Rush can also rubber band, it has happened to me. Rush will also get hung up on very small rocks or other obstacles, RTL will not. Both skills are bugged, that is not a balance issue however.
I stand on my points and call you wrong on your corrections.

Without a target, you will move forward the full distance or until you hit an obstacle. If a foe is targeted, you continue moving until you hit your opponent, tracking its forward motion. However, if the target changes course during the two seconds, you will miss.

Really? You CUT out the LAST SENTENCE to make your argument valid? RUSH will miss as well if your target moves during the animation. Seriously, I don’t know how to reason with you anymore.

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

havoc.6814

Without a target, you will move forward the full distance or until you hit an obstacle. If a foe is targeted, you continue moving until you hit your opponent, tracking its forward motion. However, if the target changes course during the two seconds, you will miss.

Really? You CUT out the LAST SENTENCE to make your argument valid? RUSH will miss as well if your target moves during the animation. Seriously, I don’t know how to reason with you anymore.

You should really begin editing your replies to not include huge amounts of text which are not relevant to the point you want to make.

I did not cut out the last sentence, I merely copied only the middle sentence because I felt only it was relative. I try to keep my posts somewhat clean. Rush will miss if the target moves at all. RTL only if the target changes course. There is a difference. RTL will hit a moving target which did not change course if it manages to close the gap, Rush will not.

Edit: As I feel that this discussion is increasingly off-topic and pointless, I will not reply further. I have stated my position and stand on it, whether others like it or not.

(edited by havoc.6814)

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

piffdaddy.8014

I am opposed to a revert of the previous nerf because I feel that that nerf was a valid step in the right direction. I feel that if the bugs were fixed, this would be a really good skill. I am not opposed to a small redction in the cd of this skill, just to a revert of the TheO nerf. Also, all of my points regarding the caomparison of RTL and Rush were not invalidated. A few of them were, most of them still stand. (RTL still tracks, is still not effected by movement impairing effects such as cripple or chill, still does AOE damage….).

We are asking for a cooldown reduction, not to have the range nerf reverted. Why does a warrior with the highest health per second and top damage also get 2 spammable mobility skills when eles one gap closer had to get gutted and a 100 percent cd increase? And you say rtl tracks to a target and rush doesn’t….nonsense. Rush hits as often as rtl does. Not to mention you can use rush without a target for a lot of extra mobility.

When an ele uses rtl without a target, it is the equivalent of a warrior using rush without a target. Only thing is, the ele has their mobility always put on a harsh 40 second cd while a warrior has a very low cd on rush. Not to mention that rush also goes much much farther than 1200 if traited for 25 percent speed and have swiftness up.(I have tested this before; it goes 1550 range like old rtl which was GUTTED) Warrior gs also has a 2nd spammable ability for mobility as their gs 3 skill. If warriors are allowed to have this much mobility, it is an absolute slap in the face to eles telling them that their rtl nerf was a “good” thing.

You obviously play a greatsword warrior with healing signet. Sorry for suggesting that a squishy class that is underrepresented should have some.mobility. sorry, forgot that everything in this game is reserved for warriors.

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Kyon.9735

You should really begin editing your replies to not include huge amounts of text which are not relevant to the point you want to make.

I did not cut out the last sentence, I merely copied only the middle sentence because I felt only it was relative. I try to keep my posts somewhat clean. Rush will miss if the target moves at all. RTL only if the target changes course. There is a difference. RTL will hit a moving target which did not change course if it manages to close the gap, Rush will not.

I copy-pasted the whole thing because you cut it, leaving out the most important part which you claim is not relevant. With all the flaws in your arguments and how you try to cover it up, I don’t see a reason to make a valid and progressive argument with you. I will let the others decide whom to believe based on our previous posts.

My stand will be: Either change the nerf on RTL or give all other gap closer skills the same treatment. Elementalists were punished for not using a gap closing skill as it was supposed to be, why do other classes get a special treatment? This argument is about “Gap closers” being actually used as Gap closers, why bring up arguments not related to gap closers at all?

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Frye.4608

Frye.4608

Really, just stop the RTL discussions. THEY KNOW AND IT IS WORKING AS INTENDED! Just check the dev comments in november : eles are fine. Then suddenly in december Grouch acknowledges that ‘eles have a problem’ but that was a one time only thing. My guess is he was not supposed to say it.

It is quite absurd to assume you can build a video-game of this complexity and not realize that trapping a low-hp/armor character in melee range would kill it in pvp. I would bet a year’s wage that the guy who came up with RTL in the first place MEANT for it to be a disengage.

You either let eles disengage or you don’t. That’s the bottom line.

Remains the question : what problem was fixed with the RTL nerf apart from SpiritWatch?

I feel like they have been stringing pvp eles along for 8 months, saying just enough to stop people from quitting the game. If it werent for wvw i would have quit a long time ago. If we still suck in pvp in march then i am gone, never playing a ‘cheap’ mmo ever EVER EVER again. My time is too precious to be toyed with like this.

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

My ele which has been sitting for a year now would love this but the devs haven’t addressed this at all. I support this despite my ele being more of a bank toon now but I do not thin the devs really care at this point.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

The reason this hasnt been changed and most likely will never get changed is because it doesn’t suit the Devs. Had this issue been about warrior lacking mobility then you can bet within days they would have an update to fix that, after all – they do play Warriors themselves.

This game has simply become MORE and more UNBALANCED as time has gone on and i think its because the Devs have no idea what they are doing and play one class: Warrior. Which just so happens to be the most broken…

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

There are a lot of assumptions being made incorrectly here. The first and biggest being that you (general you, as this applies to many people in this thread) are assuming that all movement skills that happen to chase a target are intended solely for the purpose of gap closing. What if, by design, Rush is for mobility in general? We don’t know what the design goals are because they haven’t been communicated to us. We cannot say that Rush deserves the same treatment as RtL because maybe RtL is specifically for engaging foes and Rush is intended to give the Warrior greater mobility in general while using a GS.

Anyway, if we’re looking at what we think is a ‘fair’ amount of mobility, I’d say Savage Leap deserves the nerf far more than Rush.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

I’m really sick and tired of this discussion. Nobody likes nerfs, every other class is staunchly defending their mobility skills, I totally understand. I like the freedom it gives you as a player.

But can anyone objectively (even putting aside the myriad of issues facing Ele’s) say it is fair that ONE SKILL was treated this way?

Seriously, all I and many of us are asking for is consistency and fair treatment. Is it really too much to ask for?

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

That epic double CD implementation was by far one of the biggest nerf hammers in all of GW2 history IMO.

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

piffdaddy.8014

The devs don’t seem to care. Ride the lightning used to be so fun…now it is just a souvenir from a time when eles used to be something

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

Ride the Lightning should have a dual functionality:

- If you have something targeted, you teleport to them, do damage, and incur a 15 second cooldown.
- If you have nothing targeted, you do the current RTL, and incur a 30 second cooldown.

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ATMAvatar.5749

ATMAvatar.5749

The RTL nerf, like so many other ele balance decisions, makes a lot more sense when taken in the context of someone who has only played against eles.

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

Hypothetically if they did revert the cool down change would you except it range being effected by cripple and chill?

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

(edited by Bran.7425)

[ELE] RTL cd

in Profession Balance

Posted by: MonMalthias.4763

MonMalthias.4763

The problem with some of these posts in this thread are the constant diversions to Warrior GS Rush/Warrior Mobility in general as some kind of tu quoque for “parity” in Elementalist mobility. It’s not constructive and it is a false analogy to draw direct comparisons between the two.

This thread seems to have run its course somewhere in the first page:

• Reduction of Ride the Lightning Cooldown from 40 seconds full cooldown, 20 seconds halved to 30 seconds full cooldown, 15 seconds halved
  • Fixing the longstanding problem of RTL going on full 40 seconds CD when Blocked or Aegis’d ; contrary to Jonathan Sharps claims

It’s simply a waste of time to post negativity (as an Elementalist QQing about the Ele’s current state) or to somehow draw in Warrior forum warriors by calling for nerfs to Rush.

Honestly, the amount of ad hominem and negativity in this thread is probably what will consign it to be further ignored by the developers.

Iva Malthias – 80 Engineer
Marellune Malthias – 80 Elementalist
Devil’s Dominion [DD] – Yak’s Bend