How to balance classes

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Forestgreen.7981

Forestgreen.7981

Right now, what is popular is to go sustain/tank build and to stack boons. You got classes like ele, warrior and what makes them strong is the ability to easily stack might with no reliable way to remove it with the exception of a heavily traited boonstrip necro.

A-Net needs to first lower the CD on Sigil of Nullification “http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Sigil_of_Nullification”, then change which boon is removed and also change “on crit” to “on hit”. Priority should be based on duration, #of stacks, type. Example, 2s stability should be lower than, 7 might stacks for 20 seconds, but not 15s of protection.

Current situation is that single boon strip abilities (ex. guardian remove a boon on burn), remove boons either randomly making it inconsistant/unreliable, or by type. Against eles which gain 2-3 different boons on attunment swap alone removing their 25 might stacks is impossible for most classes. I do not believe the classes abilities needs to be nerfed but there is a need for counterplay. Sigil of battle’s counter play should be sigil of nullification, much like how condition application sigils have their counter condition cleanse/transfer available.

I would also include a new sigil for aoe boon removal, something like the hydromancy sigil as most boons applications are aoe based.

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Silferas.3841

Silferas.3841

Warrior, Ele and Engi stack might fast

Mesmer, Necro and Thief meta specs all have plentiful boon stripping capabilities

Mesmer – every clone shattered removes a boon. That’s up to 9 boons stripped just by using the class mechanic, while also dealing damage

Thief – not only does thief strips boons, he steals them and grants them to his team. Along with dazing the enemy, dealing damage, closing the gap, healing himself and gaining a new skill that helps him fight said class more effectively. Every 20 something seconds.

Necro – Path of Corruption, Corrupt boon, some weapon skills as well, all of which not only remove the boons, but turn them into conditions as well…

Guardian is a special case, since DPS guardian is a strong 1v1 spec even without boon stripping and bunker guardian is unrivaled as a point holder.

I’d say current meta game is the best one we’ve had since launch. There is no big prevalence of instagib specs or condi burst mayhem, instead, we have prolonged fights where mistakes accumulate and the better player/team wins. I don’t see that as a bad thing. Another thing to mention is that there is the highest number of viable pvp builds in this game since launch as well right now.

Not saying the balance is perfect, but I would be against doing anything too drastic to shift the meta back to instagib specs or condi.

[Path] of the Immortals – a guild for veterans – Join us
[S]illy [L]ittle [U]gly [T]rolls – our little dungeon forum community
“My mind has left, my body follows”

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

The meta is solid.

The individual balancing problems which lead to said meta is not.

A perfectly-balanced game will not have a meta. Contemplate this.

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: godofcows.2451

godofcows.2451

don’t even bother. balance won’t be happening in our lifetime for this game.

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

To balance class they need to do a super simple thing:
Change the AoE limit according to the armor class.

Heavy armor, AoE limit of 3
Medium armor, AoE limit of 5
Light armor, AoE limit of 7

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

Guardian Searing Flames btw prioritizes Might when choosing which boon to remove. A bigger problem than boons in this game is the ability to spam conditions, not boons

But hey that’s just my biased opinon and so on

9 Guardians later…

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: DejaVu.9825

DejaVu.9825

To balance class they need to do a super simple thing:
Change the AoE limit according to the armor class.

Heavy armor, AoE limit of 3
Medium armor, AoE limit of 5
Light armor, AoE limit of 7

Here are the things that ruin the game and make it -hardcore + and casual gamer…

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/balance/ideas-to-make-the-game-skill-based

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Guardian Searing Flames btw prioritizes Might when choosing which boon to remove. A bigger problem than boons in this game is the ability to spam conditions, not boons

the thing is that conditions, while being spammable, is possible to cleanse. Every profession CAN cleanse.
However not every profession CAN get boons or certain boons without investing heavily into getting them.

Warrior cannot easily get protection, Aegis.
Ranger cannot get Aegis easily.
Thief cannot get protection, aegis, stability.
Necromancer cannot get aegis and stability easily, it can get protection through investing in utilities although they has long cooldowns.
Mesmer can get lots of boons, but not that easily without investing in traits.
Engineer can get most boons, but sometimes it seems you gotta choose certain builds in order to get em.

Only guard and ele has almost all boons avaliable at all times, easily. These two professions uses boons, ontop of their normal stats, to litterally wreck havoc.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

Yeah that’s one of their strengths while other classes that lack “easy” access to boons have their own strengths. Btw try using boons around a Mesmer or Necro and you’ll see them gone in a second and replaced with some nasty red stuff instead

9 Guardians later…

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Forestgreen.7981

Yeah that’s one of their strengths while other classes that lack “easy” access to boons have their own strengths. Btw try using boons around a Mesmer or Necro and you’ll see them gone in a second and replaced with some nasty red stuff instead

My point exactly, mesmer/necro. What if I don’t play those classes? I’m not looking to abolish these strength, I’m suggesting counterplay on them, something which is just impossible at the moment due to how irregular boon strip is and limited. Also, you will notice that unless you get every single boon strip ability, stripping the 25 might stacks on someone is impossible because they always have multiple boons and the lesser effects are the ones which are removed (ele, engineer, warrior).

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: zapv.8051

zapv.8051

My point exactly, mesmer/necro. What if I don’t play those classes? I’m not looking to abolish these strength, I’m suggesting counterplay on them, something which is just impossible at the moment due to how irregular boon strip is and limited. Also, you will notice that unless you get every single boon strip ability, stripping the 25 might stacks on someone is impossible because they always have multiple boons and the lesser effects are the ones which are removed (ele, engineer, warrior).

If every other class gets boon strips even close to the level of mesmers and necros, why would you run mesmers and necros? Furthermore, what is to stop necros and mesmers from saying, “they got the boon strip we have, why don’t we have the boon application they have?” Keeping boonstripping to just a few classes gives a unique reason to take those classes in a team.

Necros don’t have reflects, invulns, vigor, blocks,
extra dodges, real stability, mobility skills,
burst skills, sustain, or good support. GG ANET.

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: unlucky.9285

unlucky.9285

eh… a complete corruption necro is not very good tbh =\… at least boon rip is just an added bonus for shatter mesmers if you go all out boon rip on a necro you are stuck with condi and you miss out on utility. if it was necromancers thing it should be added to weapon skills with decent cooldowns

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

Don’t know why people say engi stacks might fast, the only might they get is from sigils and thats it.

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Don’t know why people say engi stacks might fast, the only might they get is from sigils and thats it.

Because people have a bad habit of making poor assumptions when it comes to crying balance rather then playing all of the professions and learning about them.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

Mesmer, Necro and Thief meta specs all have plentiful boon stripping capabilities

Mesmer – every clone shattered removes a boon. That’s up to 9 boons stripped just by using the class mechanic, while also dealing damage

Thief – not only does thief strips boons, he steals them and grants them to his team. Along with dazing the enemy, dealing damage, closing the gap, healing himself and gaining a new skill that helps him fight said class more effectively. Every 20 something seconds.

Necro – Path of Corruption, Corrupt boon, some weapon skills as well, all of which not only remove the boons, but turn them into conditions as well…

Guardian is a special case, since DPS guardian is a strong 1v1 spec even without boon stripping and bunker guardian is unrivaled as a point holder.

I’d say current meta game is the best one we’ve had since launch. There is no big prevalence of instagib specs or condi burst mayhem, instead, we have prolonged fights where mistakes accumulate and the better player/team wins. I don’t see that as a bad thing. Another thing to mention is that there is the highest number of viable pvp builds in this game since launch as well right now.

Not saying the balance is perfect, but I would be against doing anything too drastic to shift the meta back to instagib specs or condi.

Engi and Ele probably hold points better than Guards

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Engi and Ele probably hold points better than Guards

Engi doesn’t hold points better than a guard, what are you taking about hotjoin? Bunker staff ele might be able to hold almost just as good.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Forestgreen.7981

If every other class gets boon strips even close to the level of mesmers and necros, why would you run mesmers and necros? Furthermore, what is to stop necros and mesmers from saying, “they got the boon strip we have, why don’t we have the boon application they have?” Keeping boonstripping to just a few classes gives a unique reason to take those classes in a team.

You are misunderstanding what I’m saying. It’s not about stripping “all” boons, its about prioritizing which gets stripped. For example if an engineer has 25 might stacks, and 3 other boons, if you attempted to use “well of corruption” and the engineer stands on it for 3 seconds you will corrupt 3 of the 4. With how it presently works, might boons are almost always the last to get removed meaning that necro failed to remove the crucial one.

This is much like conditions, if someone inflicts 20 stacks of confusion and 1 stack of bleed and you use “shake it off”, you will remove that 1 stack of bleed instead of that 20 stack of confusion. The difference is huge is the reason why conditions is so kitten effective and broken.

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

How to perfectly balance game:

A.) Turn off the Servers
B.) Export all class data to a storage library
C.) Stand that Library upright

You cannot perfectly balance anything in this game. What is OP to one person is UP to another, and vice versa.

We will be whining about what is ‘too stronk’ and ‘too week’ until the game dies, No matter what Anet does.

Anet already figured that out, thats why they only bother with our qq twice a year.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

the thing is that conditions, while being spammable, is possible to cleanse. Every profession CAN cleanse.
However not every profession CAN get boons or certain boons without investing heavily into getting them.

Warrior cannot easily get protection, Aegis.
Ranger cannot get Aegis easily.
Thief cannot get protection, aegis, stability.
Necromancer cannot get aegis and stability easily, it can get protection through investing in utilities although they has long cooldowns.
Mesmer can get lots of boons, but not that easily without investing in traits.
Engineer can get most boons, but sometimes it seems you gotta choose certain builds in order to get em.

Only guard and ele has almost all boons avaliable at all times, easily. These two professions uses boons, ontop of their normal stats, to litterally wreck havoc.

Your ignorance is toxic. Ele’s require 10/14 or more traits to start spamming boons.

Problem is people can spend 10/14 traits and still not build a counter to their boons. On any class.

And I agree with the OP, what boons and conditions get stripped is a big issue.

On my condition stripping Warrior, Burn is about the last thing to go. It’s the one thing doing me real damage and it’s the last removed. It’s a huge pain in the rear. I would put my condition priority as Big Stack, CC, Burn, then whatever…

Same thing with Boons, priority should be Big Stack, Stability, Regen then whatever…

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

(edited by Relentliss.2170)

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

How to balance classes:

Swap the frequencies of balance updates with that of living story updates.

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Tyreal.5230

Tyreal.5230

Warrior, Ele and Engi’s might doesn’t hinder your ability to kill them. Stripping their might away isn’t going to make them go away. Should focus more on learning to fight them and killing them more quickly.

Guild: guildless
Elementalist: Sheva Alamarr
Guardian: Stella Alamarr

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

If they want to balance the classes, all they need to do is start looking at classes other than guardian and warrior. And maybe change how overpowered boon stacking is, or how underpowered conditions are (in PVE).

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

How to balance classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I would say that a solid first step would be to remove sPvP, or at least break it off into a fully separate game.

Once that is done, balancing can begin. The mechanics are too disjunct from PvE/WvW for that to ever work out well.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.