Improving Healing Power & Support Play

in Profession Balance

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

@OP – I really like your ideas about being able to fill a more supportive gamestyle, the “Quicker Rezzing” you mentioned would fit perfectly, and I’m sure there are be plenty more ideas out there regarding this subject.

+1

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Profession Balance

Posted by: deathTouch.9706

deathTouch.9706

Bumping this.

First, I think it worthwhile to point out that irrespective of the game, and even genre, there are individuals who enjoy playing particular roles (DPS, Tank, Support) and will tailor their builds to these roles whether the game has a specific, defined class for them or not. Supports in this game are currently viable and Anet supported because specialization down a support line provides much more healing and condi clear than any individual player can provide him/herself. The support role exists in this game and will continue to exist…what remains is trying to further define the role as something other than a heal/condi-clear/boon dispensing bot, and increase the personal reward/utility of the support role in general.

In line with achieving these goals, the changes suggested by the OP and Potato give support players powerful, potential battle-changing abilities with “boon amplification” via the proposed Support Power mechanism. Additionally, it allows for unique abilities that are not possible via other, less specialized builds. For example, most classes have a way in which to provide themselves with swiftness. The only factor that modifies swiftness currently is boon duration, and thus the only way for supports to actually provide boon utility that surpasses the quality of that provided by non-supports is through stacking boon duration. These proposed changes modify boons in such a way as to allow supports to gives something truly unique to their teammates that can dramatically change the outcome of any particular fight.

This expands the niche that supports currently fill from simply healing, handing out longer-duration boons, condi-clearing and CC to a more dramatic force-multiplier that can spike the damage or survivability of their teammates depending on what the group needs. My favorite of the above suggestions is that concerning swiftness, where a support could “supercharge” their group for a small duration to allow for chasing down a group, or quickly disengage. These types of temporary “overcharges” of buffs are a truly unique idea that would add a whole new layer of depth to gameplay, and in the process make both the game, in general, and the support role, in particular, more enjoyable to play.

V deathTouch V – Warrior
STD [Scarlet Gave Me Harpies]
Maguuma

(edited by deathTouch.9706)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

I’m not arguing the nature of passive stats and traits. I’m saying that an improved support system along with condition spec combat would turn a lot of people off to the game. I’m pretty sure this is why guardians will never have a viable condi spec.

If said combos didnt exist, and going really high into condition damage and support power was impossible (settler/apothecary), then I fully support this idea. I really like playing support, and its disheartening to have that absence in this otherwise awesome game.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

(edited by Stand The Wall.6987)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Bumping this.

First, I think it worthwhile to point out that irrespective of the game, and even genre, there are individuals who enjoy playing particular roles (DPS, Tank, Support) and will tailor their builds to these roles whether the game has a specific, defined class for them or not. Supports in this game are currently viable and Anet supported because specialization down a support line provides much more healing and condi clear than any individual player can provide him/herself. The support role exists in this game and will continue to exist…what remains is trying to further define the role as something other than a heal/condi-clear/boon dispensing bot, and increase the personal reward/utility of the support role in general.

In line with achieving these goals, the changes suggested by the OP and Potato give support players powerful, potential battle-changing abilities with “boon amplification” via the proposed Support Power mechanism. Additionally, it allows for unique abilities that are not possible via other, less specialized builds. For example, most classes have a way in which to provide themselves with swiftness. The only factor that modifies swiftness currently is boon duration, and thus the only way for supports to actually provide boon utility that surpasses the quality of that provided by non-supports is through stacking boon duration. These proposed changes modify boons in such a way as to allow supports to gives something truly unique to their teammates that can dramatically change the outcome of any particular fight.

This expands the niche that supports currently fill from simply healing, handing out longer-duration boons, condi-clearing and CC to a more dramatic force-multiplier that can spike the damage or survivability of their teammates depending on what the group needs. My favorite of the above suggestions is that concerning swiftness, where a support could “supercharge” their group for a small duration to allow for chasing down a group, or quickly disengage. These types of temporary “overcharges” of buffs are a truly unique idea that would add a whole new layer of depth to gameplay, and in the process make both the game, in general, and the support role, in particular, more enjoyable to play.

I agree with everything in this post. Anet, please look into changing the way support works in this game. What was suggestyed in this thread is definitely a step in the right direction.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

Traits and Runes that improve reviving needs to be looked at. I’ve never known anyone using them. Ever.

Party wide boons, heals and what-not need some better sharing mechanic other than stacking on top of one another within 240 radius or so just to get the boon or heal. It forces ranged support classes (Staff ele) to be in the thick of the battle just to share some boons and heal partymates. 1200 range become kitten for support roles.

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

in Profession Balance

Posted by: P Fun Daddy.1208

P Fun Daddy.1208

Traits and Runes that improve reviving needs to be looked at. I’ve never known anyone using them. Ever.

Party wide boons, heals and what-not need some better sharing mechanic other than stacking on top of one another within 240 radius or so just to get the boon or heal. It forces ranged support classes (Staff ele) to be in the thick of the battle just to share some boons and heal partymates. 1200 range become kitten for support roles.

I’ve seen mesmers and guardians use their protective ones, and thieves as well to a lesser extent.