New Mesmer trait ...seriously?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

This thread is now about Ele GM trait vs Ranger GM trait.

People really don’t read OP posts beyond the thread title do they?

What do Rangers get? 2x faster arrows. Something so simple that should be implemented as standard, and not brought in as a Grandmaster trait. I know these are just 1 of several new traits, but it just goes to show Rangers are on the verge of being shafted once again. It also shows that little attention has been paid to the discussion of Ranger bows in the CDI.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Profession Balance

Posted by: johnsonade.9547

johnsonade.9547

Oh my god if I see any more ranger tears… Look if you’re trying to max-distance longbow without cc’ing or having your pet cc your enemy or even assisting a teammate with a distracted opponent then your attack deserves to be sidestepped. IT DESERVES TO BE SIDESTEPPED. People aren’t world bosses or dumb champs so they will try to get away from both your damage and your pet’s damage. Heck even some champs strafe like champion trolls. Try this. Cat/Canine knockdown, offset LB#5 for crippling, and then LB#2 them. Add traps for more soft cc. Hey it’s magic, now you can actually hit your target at max distance, . And If they dodge, guess what you can have ready for them at the end of the roll? That’s right, Longbow Skill #4. If they heal, stealth or cast some type of stability or invuln then you’ve just applied pressure and put some of your enemy’s key skills on cooldown. I know it’s complicated but actually having to think instead of simply rotating your own skills would put you on par with what a lot of other classes have to do at all times.

What the new ranger trait does though is please complainers that want to fight people like they are regular NPC monsters at the cost of a trait points that more adept rangers can use elsewhere. So basically if you’re a good ranger you won’t even need this, and if you’re still learning then you can play “with a net” so to speak. I wonder if highly skilled rangers will be able to to tweak the meta with a trait like this though. However, Please don’t be mad that you got this. This is the product of your very own CDI.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

we don’t know the trait’s cooldown (or if it will have one)……..the panic is silly until then.

conceptually….i love the trait……………reward skilled shutdown play (mesmer passive options are just so strong right now)….the cooldown will determine whether its OP broke or underwhelming.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Relshdan.6854)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Chuck Nizzle.6283

Chuck Nizzle.6283

The only thing that bugs me is how when they announced this, they said it will help keep that one necromancer from using consume conditions…seriously? Mesmers pretty much already own most necros, and comparing it to this professsion? What does that accomplish? Proving that it’s super OP?

Personally, I don’t really like the new traits the’re adding. Some are too bad, some are too good. It negatively affects profession balance.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: johnsonade.9547

johnsonade.9547

we don’t know the trait’s cooldown (or if it will have one)……..the panic is silly until then.

conceptually….i love the trait……………reward skilled shutdown play (mesmer passive options are just so strong right now)….the cooldown will determine whether its OP broke or underwhelming.

I don’t play mesmer but I have to agree with Relshdan. A lot of times mesmers focus on evasion, countering or spike setup, but this sounds like a great control trait that’s more in the spirit of what mesmers are made to do. If you’re a knowledgeable mesmer that’s familiar with the tells of other classes, this trait sounds like it’s made for you.

Also let it be put on record that I defended you so don’t Moa Morph me so much in pvp anymore pls.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

They’ve literally only revealed one of the five new traits for each new class. We have no idea how powerful or weak the other traits are going to be yet.

Also complaining about a trait that encourages the most underplayed and highest skill cap build that the Mesmer has, is a bit unreasonable. If a Mesmer times an interrupt to knock-out an important skill, that Mesmer deserves to be rewarded as much as possible.

Gandara

in Profession Balance

Posted by: shimmerless.4560

shimmerless.4560

Wha? You’re just a noob! Just dodge the insta-cast, 1200 range, Power Lock .

Why did you let the Mesmer channel the skill in the first place?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: OneManArmy.9732

OneManArmy.9732

i dont care bout this trait. needed high skill for it, you must be enough skillful to use it, not just spam condi with staff or phantasm spam.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Preliminary whining about non-final balance changes? Really?

I mean come on, at least wait until you know the actual number. And besides, I can’t see this new trait replace Confounding Suggestions. The ability to not only daze for 25% more time but also stop runners momentarily feels much more useful than twice the CD on the one interrupted ability. I’d rather interrupt again, plain&simple.

What this does is make single-interrupt-setups (basically things like Sword+Pistol / GS but no interrupt utilities!) more useful, because those cannot truly “lockdown”. Then again I doubt those’d pick 30/20/20 to begin with.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Not only do Rangers need to choose between piercing arrows, eagle eye, spotter, and signet of the beastmaster, but you honesstly think this new trait isn’t the worst of the ones announced, but that it would ever be chosen over the alternatives? Come on dude… you must be trollin’

It is FAR better than the one Ele got. The class that needs sustain…gets a healing bonus to everyone BUT the ele…

We are the only ones that get a trait that has NO affect on us what so ever.

lol far from it. The ele trait could at least be of some use to teammates. Read the Winds has no team utility and barely makes the ranger stronger. It forces us to waste a Grandmaster Trait to compensate for a game engine fault that borders on a mechanical failure. Why waste endurance when you can just side step to avoid arrows that do crap damage at any range but maximum?

It also don’t help that the bow, and this trait, is near pointless when the enemy inevitably gets into melee range with the buttload of gap closers in the game. It also only really affects the Long bow. The short bow is often used too close for arrow speed to be an issue and the axe doesn’t fire arrows.

You don’t really understand Ranger traits.

Ranger traits acts as the final puzzle piece to make the build actually work instead of being a bonus like other profession traits.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

Necro got access to a regen boon!

OVERPOWERED! NERF NERF

Sometimes i think this company is deliberately trying to sabotage their own game.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Ranger traits acts as the final puzzle piece to make the build actually work instead of being a bonus like other profession traits.

It never ceases to amaze me to what extreme ends of mispresenting information forum posters go just to keep their point alive.

You realize that traits are needed for all classes? There’s no “bonus” with traits. There are sometimes individual slots, but good luck playing any class without the traits. And you know, half the threads on this forum are about warrior traits being too strong, so yeah, they’re definitely just a bonus. :P

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

New Mesmer trait …seriously?

GW1 Mesmers are (kinda) back :> im happy, does this mean Anet is preparing classes for gvg ala gw1?

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

It never ceases to amaze me to what extreme ends of mispresenting information forum posters go just to keep their point alive.

You realize that traits are needed for all classes? There’s no “bonus” with traits. There are sometimes individual slots, but good luck playing any class without the traits. And you know, half the threads on this forum are about warrior traits being too strong, so yeah, they’re definitely just a bonus. :P

I’m not yet 80 on all classes.
But, I do feel that, except for engie and rangers (and some extent thief), I can put pretty much anything in the skill bar that’s untraited, and they’d still be usefull, as they are. This is not something that I feel with rangers and engie.

I’ll just look at the skills 7-9…
Do you know why ranger’s shout “guard” has a cast-time? Because there is a GM trait that makes shout effect other things than just the pet. So, what it does is that this skill is the only one I have to tell my pet to go out of harm’s way; the cast time makes it so it is way less reactive than a pet placement skill should be…
Signets… most do not work on rangers, unless they have a GM trait… Untraited spirits… they’re meh, but well, in a situation where the plsyer is not moving much and where there’s not too much AoE’s, I guess they could be called ok untraited… Traps… are a joke untraited… Awful damage with no trait – not worth wasting an utility slot in pretty much all settings.
The only skills we can select that are good enough untraited are survival skills… (maybe because the only trait we have for those is a CD reduction… which is nice to have, but not mandatory).

Now, yes there are downsides to other professions utilities, yes, some are bugged, or whatnot, but i would be very curious to know which skills from other professions are “never to be used untraited”. War banner – great effect untraited… shouts; same, Guard, except for spirit weapons, all looke pretty useful untraited, mesmers… are any of the things they have are underpowered untraited? don’t think so… Necro… maybe some spectral can be called underwhelming untraited, though they look balanced on paper… Elem: ain’t tested arcane and glyphs, yet, but they don’t look like things I wouldn’t want on my skill bar untraited…

So… If anyone who has those professions as mains can tell me why their skills are not worth putting on the bar untraited, I’d love to know!

I do not think the intent of the person to whom you replied was to say that traits are useless… but that the problem is that med armours are given base utilities that are not so good, that they have to trait to have somewhat good, and heavily trait to make them as good as most other’s professions traited ones.

See, the difference is that let’s say profession A got a trait that makes a weapon 20% more efficient… the base damage of the weapon is made 10% less efficient to compensate.
Profession B, on the other side, has a trait that makes it 10% better…

Untraited Profession A hits for 90%, untraited profession B hits for 100%, both traited professions hit for 110%…
Now, add to it that, to justify A getting 20% from traits, they put it as GM trait, player A has to go 30 points in one branch to get it’s worth… Player B having it be only 10 % has the trait as Adept or master… which means a trait investment of 10 or 20 to make it’s weapon better, while player A needs 30 points to achieve the same results, and, failing to do it, has it’s untraited weapon being sub par…

Now, you see what we mean, when we say some professions need heavy trait investment to work, while other profession’s traits are bonus?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: musu.9205

musu.9205

op, basically u are saying u know nothing about mesmer , tpvp and pve as well.
do we have a 1v1 pvp mode yet ?
do we have conditionmancer ,hambow , mindless spam 1 ranger , mindless spam 3 thief ,decap engi and so on “they have making them one of the worst professions to 1v1 with” so beside ele every class could be worst to 1v1 since u count mesmer into meta
do we have a lot of illusion bugs and least constant dps ,after iwarden bug how mesmer could be one of top class in pve ? or u didnt see pve group already drop mesmer from speedrun?

and in the end , do u realize thats a mesmer trait not a thief trait . spam interripu lol

in Profession Balance

Posted by: dylan.5409

dylan.5409

Useless trait for mesmers to be honest. A regular interupt 5 sec cooldown is enough to insure death for most classes. So its a little like moa i suppose, an “I win” button whenever you see your opponent waving its hand in the air.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: E Tan.7385

E Tan.7385

Finally a trait that brings back a bit of the GW1 Mesmer we know and love (or hate).

Well, yes and no, because the gw2 interrupt is freaking random without seeing the foe skill bar.
Also, since we still CANT change the weapons skills even if its with the pistol – offhand sword – GS – focus, its only one interrupt per switch and i dont count the “diversion” because it rely on clone movement, so its even more only luck.
yeah, there is the mantra.. but… but cast time of a mantra is just a crap.

It might look like a bit more, but its still a poor GW1 mesmer version since you cant a single second really rely on the interrupt success..

wasting a grand master skill for that over poor PB version.. lol !

“we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
Mike Obrien
Legen – Wait for It – dary joke

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

I think the new Mesmer trait is awesome.

Imagine popping a thief with it and putting his stealth/heal on longer cool down.

Can’t believe people are complaining about it.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I think the new Mesmer trait is awesome.

Imagine popping a thief with it and putting his stealth/heal on longer cool down.

Can’t believe people are complaining about it.

“Mesmer: Power Block

Enemies of mesmers beware: they’ve learned how to mess with your skill recharge! The new trait for mesmers allows them to gain additional benefit when disrupting enemy skills. Power Block will be introduced to the Domination line and will change the recharge of an interrupted skill from 5 seconds to 10 seconds. This will not affect skills that have no recharge, but I’d imagine that stopping a necromancer from consuming conditions would surely put a nail in their coffin."

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/traits-unleashed-forty-new-traits-and-more/

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

@OP

Mesmer’s aren’t the best at anything right now, and even if you can completely outplay another class they can still be substituted by virtually anything else and achieve similar outcomes much easier.

Your points about invis and clones are redundant. No one falls for clones. Maybe one off attack at the miss tab, but no one really falls for them within at least rank 20 of sPvP and lets say… a week or two in WvW. The invis is very minor unless they are rolling PU, At which point you can walk away doing typing “/laugh @” as long as your not a glass cannon.

As for guardian we’re talking about a tiny healthpool to begin with, 3000 is mostly going to be some sustain to hold off on the C/D of a clense and located in a supporty tree >>

Also Rangers can’t complain (well maybe as a Power Ranger). Unless your inept and can’t utilize doge spam, and passive survivability, with auto attack as a main damage source.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in Profession Balance

Posted by: BlackDevil.9268

BlackDevil.9268

@ Daishi
Actually, mesmer are the best roamers atm.

It’s actually good they buff the interrupt builds for mesmer as (imo) that should be one of the playstyles for mesmer. The only thing they forget to do is give mesmers 0.25sec and AoE dazes…. Buffing the solo aspect for mesmer makes a support class really selfish and also really boring since the meta of it isn’t changing or it’s only getting easier to play.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

As a part time lockdown mesmer, I approve of this trait. I giggled evilly when I read it. I don’t think its overpowered because let’s face it, its a high skill level issue and requires not only amazing reactions, but at sometimes sheer predictive abilities in pvp. Or maybe I just suck..

But I only run lock down in teams anyway, so maybe I just don’t know nuthin

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Axelifus.3269

Axelifus.3269

While you’re getting that simplicity implemented, do the same to ele’s staff autos, see how it goes.