[Ranger] Agility Training Should Be Passive

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Valtarius.8671

Valtarius.8671

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Agility_Training
Why is this a trait? It seems like this should be added as part of the pets mechanic because of how easily pets can be kited and the unreliable auto attacks that misses all the time cus they cannot reach an opponent. Just my perspective. Either that or at least combine it with Pet’s Prowess
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pet%27s_Prowess
I do not think anyone wants to use two traits for a pet that is mostly unreliable on the precision line. There are a lot more superior traits.

I put this up first on the Ranger Forums first and someone suggest to come here instead.
Previous Conversation:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Why-is-Agility-Training-a-Trait/first#post4087548

(edited by Valtarius.8671)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: gawker.8340

gawker.8340

You’ll hardly find an objection here. It seems logical that Jaguars run faster than men.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Arkus.2814

Arkus.2814

I agree with the Agility Training pet should be a in the pet design. Having 130% movement speed instead of 100% build in. Try using signet of the Hunt that give +25% on pet and the pet do get a couple more hits on in Spvp try it out and see for your self.

If pet hits stealth targets or follow them i would be happy.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Only pets i would “argue” should be as slow as player chars is spiders, devourers and drakes. Because lizards and invertibraes does not have the ability to maintain higher speeds for longer periods of time due to biological limits.

Pet speeds that would make sense:
Dogs, bears, pigs – 15% faster then players
Cats, moas – 33% faster then players
Birds – 40% faster then players

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Profession Balance

Prysin.8542

I agree with the Agility Training pet should be a in the pet design. Having 130% movement speed instead of 100% build in. Try using signet of the Hunt that give +25% on pet and the pet do get a couple more hits on in Spvp try it out and see for your self.

If pet hits stealth targets or follow them i would be happy.

I think any thief will agree that ranger pets ignoring stealth all together would be OP.
Ranger pets can easily hit a glassy thief for 10k hp. Giving them default stealth tracking would be over the top, traited stealth tracking however would be a little bit more fair.

in Profession Balance

Valtarius.8671

This would be a great design. Adds some variation to which pets to choose. However because of the difference in increase speed would kind of be unfair to the other pets. I wouldn’t mind if this happened but a believe a flat speed boost to all pets will do.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

You’ll hardly find an objection here. It seems logical that Jaguars run faster than men.

Not to mention birds. Or why birds can’t attack people on walls.
poor design is poor.

downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Only pets i would “argue” should be as slow as player chars is spiders, devourers and drakes. Because lizards and invertibraes does not have the ability to maintain higher speeds for longer periods of time due to biological limits.

Finally, a +1 from me to Prysin XD

in Profession Balance

Posted by: KehxD.6847

KehxD.6847

*cough* Pet’s Prowess is one of the best adept traits for the ranger *cough*

Agility Training... Well. I like Prysins idea, where every pet has a slightly different movement speed, since it would make sense. Agility Training also is pretty worthless, but making it passive?

The trait actually is a "how do I wanna play?" trait.
For example:
- Pets often run berserk, attacking stuff you don’t want them to go for, pulling stuff you don’t want. You need it under control. Making it faster means, you have less time to control it there.
- However, making it faster allows it to run out of aoes if used correctly, or allows to chase stuff and so on.

So it has negative and positive sides. I wouldn’t want it passively all the time to be honest. So yeah, a different set of movement speed for the pets sound right to me, and Agility training should straight up be replaced with another trait.

Founder and former leader of TxS Community! For more information, please look here =)
http://www.reddit.com/r/txs

in Profession Balance

Prysin.8542

This would be a great design. Adds some variation to which pets to choose. However because of the difference in increase speed would kind of be unfair to the other pets. I wouldn’t mind if this happened but a believe a flat speed boost to all pets will do.

Actually the difference in speed wouldnt hurt choice diversity, but rather it would strengthen it.
Birds are pure dps
Cats are melee dps, moas are melee support, thus you want those close to you at all times.
Dogs, bears, pigs are control/support, so you want them close, but they need to be a bit more responsive to perform.
Drakes, spiders and devourers are semi ranged/condition. So they do not need to rely on speed that much.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

Difference doesn’t mean diversity, it just means that one works out better than rest and that’s the one that everyone uses in the meta.

If they put 33% on pets that’s job done for me.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

really need this, maybe then we’ll bother taking Zephyr’s Speed since currently it’ll be over before your slooooow dam pet reaches the target.
a pet speed increase trait just isn’t worth taking compared to the other things in the tree.

make it default NAOW ANET!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: dylan.5409

dylan.5409

Good idea +1
As to tracking a thief, maybe lower the cd on sic’ em to 20 secs when traited? Would add more counter play and make a thief think twice before attacking a ranger.

in Profession Balance

Valtarius.8671

Good idea +1
As to tracking a thief, maybe lower the cd on sic’ em to 20 secs when traited? Would add more counter play and make a thief think twice before attacking a ranger.

sic em cooldown can already be traited down with wilderness knowledge but only to 32sec? I believe. 20sec though I wouldn’t mind that lol People would fear the pets. But I would much rather have a stunbreak skill.

in Profession Balance

Valtarius.8671

Actually the difference in speed wouldnt hurt choice diversity, but rather it would strengthen it.
Birds are pure dps
Cats are melee dps, moas are melee support, thus you want those close to you at all times.
Dogs, bears, pigs are control/support, so you want them close, but they need to be a bit more responsive to perform.
Drakes, spiders and devourers are semi ranged/condition. So they do not need to rely on speed that much.

Make’s sense now. Yep This or a flat speeds boost. I am up for any. Hope this one gets picked though

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

Most of the pet related traits are basically trait tax on the ranger that should be reworked into traits that effect both the ranger and the pet or the ranger, the pet and their allies in some cases.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Absent Minded.5821

Absent Minded.5821

If we had faster pets and birds that could scale walls instead of flying up the stairs I would be sooo happy.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aerathnor.8305

Aerathnor.8305

If we had faster pets and birds that could scale walls instead of flying up the stairs I would be sooo happy.

Rangers sending birds to take out enemy AC’s… Finally a place in WvW!

in Profession Balance

Prysin.8542

2 seconds after first AC is brought down by a bird:
Wubwub subforum; NERF RANGER PETS.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: DiamondMeteor.8345

DiamondMeteor.8345

Didn’t people used to do that with the pre-nerf “Guard!” back when the game came out?

I still don’t know why that was removed, Mesmers can still spawn Izerkers on towers…

Ranger / Revenant – Crystal Desert

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Birds are pure dps

+1. I like this idea because of the diversity it offers!

But, to be technical here (and since I am really bored…..), Real world arthropods can move quite fast relative to their size, and house spiders can outrun a cheetah if the two were the same sized animal.

And also, As far as endurance/long distance running goes (which would be the case running across a WvW map), humans are actually the fastest animals on the planet, due to our superior heat regulating abilities compared to other animals (mostly that we sweat a lot more). While any animal can outrun us in short distances, research has shown that humans can outrun dogs, ostriches, horses, and antelope, given enough distance. (Char would actually be the opposite of humans in a marathon run. It doesn’t matter that they can run on all fours and their initial speed burst would be much greater than humans could ever achieve,… their fur would hinder their ability to expel excess heat, even if they could sweat as much as humans do, and they would have to slow down eventually.)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aerathnor.8305

Aerathnor.8305

2 seconds after first AC is brought down by a bird:
Wubwub subforum; NERF RANGER PETS.

Which rangers could simply respond to with the standard “It’s not op, l2target birds nub. We’re just using the tools given and if you don’t do it ur just a scrub”

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Abrilete.1439

Abrilete.1439

Didn’t people used to do that with the pre-nerf “Guard!” back when the game came out?

I did that many times, with Jaguar and Quickening Zephyr, but I used it to force Eles and Mesmers to retreat off the walls. Jaguars used to hit really hard those days… I miss it…

Baruch Bay, Ranger.

in Profession Balance

scerevisiae.1972

+1

Aside from rangers gaining some WVW usefulness/uniqueness, it would be good for ACs/siege to have more counterplay anyways (over and above simply counter-sieging).

in Profession Balance

Posted by: hunterkiller.5419

hunterkiller.5419

I find that it should be buffed as a trait, or else currently implemented to pets.

Regarding control wise, it is best to keep pets as passive almost all the time, until you know there is a group of enemies in front of you. It worked for me in PvE and WvW. But still, they are squishy when players are the enemies.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sarision.6347

Sarision.6347

I would like it to affect both the pet and the Ranger, so I don’t have to rely on the signet.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

I would like it to affect both the pet and the Ranger, so I don’t have to rely on the signet.

This.

in Profession Balance

scerevisiae.1972

yeah there’s really a suite of things that stand out to me on ranger relative to my other classes:

• untraited pet is too slow
  • pets are very generic, basically no differences other than F2 skill
  • signets only affecting pet is really bad, should affect ranger by default and GM trait should make it both.
  • traps are in the wrong trait line, and should be 900 range when traited
  • sword #1 is really broken

in Profession Balance

Posted by: TheBlackHanzo.5028

TheBlackHanzo.5028

• signets only affecting pet is really bad, should affect ranger by default and GM trait should make it both.

This is one of the things about rangers i have always hated. Not to mention that not every signet passive works for our pet. What i mean is Signet of Renewal passive gives no benefit to our pet while the active only does harm. Last i checked the whole idea behind ranger was a “Two fighting as one” approach. SoR should cleanse a condition per tick on the pet as well and not just the player. Not asking for too much is it? Do that and make heal as one do something other than simply healing.

A shadow lives, fights and dies in darkness so the light may continue to shine.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

This is one of the things about rangers i have always hated. Not to mention that not every signet passive works for our pet. What i mean is Signet of Renewal passive gives no benefit to our pet while the active only does harm. Last i checked the whole idea behind ranger was a “Two fighting as one” approach. SoR should cleanse a condition per tick on the pet as well and not just the player. Not asking for too much is it? Do that and make heal as one do something other than simply healing.

At least half of the ranger’s condition removal is based on the harm of the pet so design wise that whole “two as one” is mostly flavor text garbage like (I am going there) “unparalleled…”

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Teckos.1305

Teckos.1305

I did that many times, with Jaguar and Quickening Zephyr, but I used it to force Eles and Mesmers to retreat off the walls. Jaguars used to hit really hard those days… I miss it…

remember those good days when I did 3 shot a lv 80 thief with a jungle stalker + sick’em on a lv 38 toon, the good ol’ days T_T.