@The New Ranger GM Traits

in Profession Balance

Posted by: rpfohr.7048

rpfohr.7048

Strider would be good if it was 15% chance to block ALL incoming attacks, not just projectiles,

It might also be good if its within a certain range, so you can get this proc on your skirmishing SB or Axe ranger that likes to fight between 0-500 range.

I do feel that power builds got whacked again which is the wrong direction it needs to go.

I really liked the combine eagle eye and read the wind ideas. I thought of that too when it first came out, others just beat me to posting.

As for striders it seems to be trying to help the power melee builds which have built in evades, Something like “When you evade an attack your next attack crits” would have worked much better.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Terravos.4059

Terravos.4059

Striders makes zero bloody sense..I can’t see this being used by anyone..

But of course…Allie thinks we should test this crap because ya know.. we can’t tell a kitten when we see it according to the Anet Devs

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Xsorus – Ranger PvP movies Creator of the BM Bunker

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Striders makes zero bloody sense..I can’t see this being used by anyone..

But of course…Allie thinks we should test this crap because ya know.. we can’t tell a kitten when we see it according to the Anet Devs

It’s developer hubris. They always think they know more/better than the playerbase. It’s not exclusive to this MMO.

in Profession Balance

Terravos.4059

This game needs a PTS like every other bloody game does

Take SWTOR, it has a PTS, and when they were getting ready to add a really overpowered ability to Sniper in the coming patch, the PTS showed how overpowered it would be.

a Competitive PvP game with no PTS for the population to test and point out overpowered stuff before hand? Completely stupid

in Profession Balance

Posted by: AEFA.9035

AEFA.9035

That poison grand master was a direct result of the CDI I can tell you that much.

Yup! He’s right. A few people suggested for us to get a specialization in poison, which I didnt agree on honestly cause when I think poison I think Thieves.

The read the wind and striders defense were probably made in prompt of those of us asking for more gw1 ranger skills. Only none of us would have wanted them as a grandmaster trait so while they listened they implemented it wrong. Plus it it should be at least 25% chance to block to bbe worth taking and be able to use at ranger.

Read The Wind I actually suggested and a few PVP players, but as a QoL improvement for Rangers, not an actual GM trait -_- and if they’re going to implement Read The Wind I suggest make it give us extra precision or power if equipped, this trait is just pure garbage, right now.

I also told ANet, if you look at my CDI Ranger post, the very first one I said for them to give us healing per pet switch similar to how Elementalists change attunements I suggested to change Masters Bond, I think thats how they got the new Beastmastery trait. But then put into GM trait is too much though

Success is my only option, failure is not.

in Profession Balance

AEFA.9035

Strider would be good if it was 15% chance to block ALL incoming attacks, not just projectiles,

It might also be good if its within a certain range, so you can get this proc on your skirmishing SB or Axe ranger that likes to fight between 0-500 range.

I do feel that power builds got whacked again which is the wrong direction it needs to go.

I really liked the combine eagle eye and read the wind ideas. I thought of that too when it first came out, others just beat me to posting.

As for striders it seems to be trying to help the power melee builds which have built in evades, Something like “When you evade an attack your next attack crits” would have worked much better.

Still garbage even if its ALL attacks, 15% doesn’t even put this GM trait into Major and its RNG who the hell wants that for a 30 deep investment?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

I also told ANet, if you look at my CDI Ranger post, the very first one I said for them to give us healing per pet switch similar to how Elementalists change attunements I suggested to change Masters Bond, I think thats how they got the new Beastmastery trait. But then put into GM trait is too much though

the healing on F2 is perfectly fine, if it has a healing value of 500 or greater + X% of healing power. That or it should be affected by the “Medic” bonus that are granted through WvW score. Either way, less then 500 hp/activation, and it will be completely underpowered compared to Natural Healing.
However, i like that they added it. Either way, it increases pet functions, and pet survivability alongside our group support and general survivability.

I do however believe they should have elaborated a bit on how it works. If there is any internal rules to it such as an ICD. Or how much it heals for.
They did reveal how the necromancers life blast healing worked and the values, so i think it was a mistake/oversight that they did not do so for rangers too. It may have been intentional, it also may not. Who knows. Time will show. Either way, i will be playing GW2, i will be checking out the feature pack, AND I WILL BE IN TOP 3 OF THIS GOLD LEAGUE.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

It’s just hard to make a real verdict when so much of the landscape is changing at once.

Read the Wind seems patch-like on our current Longbow, but god only knows if they made any baseline adjustments to the weapon. Strider’s Defense seems niche, but, niche is less of a negative with mobile trait respecing.

I can confidently say I love the gameplay direction behind Invigorating Bond and Survival of the Fittest.

Invigorating bond encourages position gameplay, and not only rewards having a pet alive – but actively using them afeild. Survival of the Fittest gives us active condition cleanse and adds alot of much needed interplay between traits. Whatever the actual impact of those two may be, the funfactor is definitely going in the right direction.

Credit where credit is due these two traits are active and thoughtful.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sarision.6347

Sarision.6347

Now that I think about it, do we really need these traits? What I mean is that, why not bake them into existing traits instead of new traits?

Read the Wing: Should be default for not only longbow, but also shortbow and harpoon gun. Or bake it into Piercing Arrows, Eagle Eye, or Quick Draw.

Strider’s Defense: Agreed that it’s useless. If you want to bake it, why not Martial Mastery?

Poison Master: I honestly can’t think of anything for this. Some suggested improved healing deficiency in addition to the DoT increase.

Survival of the Fittest: I will say that this is sorely needed, to the point that I’m willing to give it a pass. That being said, it would be great if this is baked into Wilderness Knowledge, or at the least Oakheart Salve, and possibly have the fury removed.

Invigorating Bond: I also have no idea what to do with this. Like some said, I have to see the healing value. But even then, I wouldn’t use it since I wouldn’t touch the trait line with even a ten-foot pole in the first place.

PS: I haven’t looked into other professions, but honestly I think Anet should focus what’s currently broken before adding new.

(edited by Sarision.6347)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

Yet again ANeT buffs other classes and gives rangers the finger. You’d think we are the most powerful class in the game with the number of lame traits they are creating.

I want the Read the Wind trait to make it so I can detect and target stealthed creatures. “I’m reading the flow of the wind around the area and something doesn’t seem right. Oh, there’s a thief/mesmer over there.” “Draw arrow and fire.”

Give us more damage output for kitten’s sake! Rangers continue to remain useless to WvW.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Take SWTOR, it has a PTS, and when they were getting ready to add a really overpowered ability to Sniper in the coming patch, the PTS showed how overpowered it would be.

a Competitive PvP game with no PTS for the population to test and point out overpowered stuff before hand? Completely stupid

Anet prefers to crowd source on the live servers and then wait 6-7 months to fix things that prove to be grossly overpowered coughHealSigcough

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sasajoe.1509

Sasajoe.1509

i just came back to the forums to see whats going on with rangers & to be honest im glad i switched back to wow on my hunter & not having any more headaches with gw2

cya in wow lol

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

This 1000×.

It’s lol really. Like a perpetual beta test on live.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

This 1000×.

lol I was just thinking about an aircraft maker having that philosophy.

“Hey Bob, I have a great idea on a new wing design”
“Sounds like a great idea Frank. Lets implement it”

6 months later

“Hey Bob, my idea didn’t work out very well. 9 planes have crashed and thousands have died”
“That is awful Frank. Lets fix it. I have an idea how e can do it”
“Should we test it first?”
“lol why?”

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

That poison grand master was a direct result of the CDI I can tell you that much.

Yup! He’s right. A few people suggested for us to get a specialization in poison, which I didnt agree on honestly cause when I think poison I think Thieves.

That is not entirely correct. Someone mentioned improving Poison. However, Karl said that they were already discussing this idea internally.

However, where is the point in arguing who created or inspired those traits? If you feel they are bad it is more important to rationally point out their flaws so the devs may consider alterations. And I’m not talking about ‘Duh! This trait should be innate because, duh!’ or ‘Buh! Class B got better traits than mine!’. Be reasonable. Otherwise the devs won’t care.

There is another thing people need to realize. While not all of the new GM seem very appealing they certainly are too powerful to be merged with other traits or to be given away for free. They were not introduced to buff the overall performance of a class but to offer alternatives to existing options and open up new builds. If this is not the case for certain traits, then feel free to complain. But don’t complain about them not catering current (personal) builds.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sanduskel.1850

Sanduskel.1850

Pass the Wind will not be used because it’s not close to being worth 30 pts. 10 pts maybe. same for the other gm traits.

OP’d thief, lol

in Profession Balance

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

This 1000×.

lol I was just thinking about an aircraft maker having that philosophy.

“Hey Bob, I have a great idea on a new wing design”
“Sounds like a great idea Frank. Lets implement it”

6 months later

“Hey Bob, my idea didn’t work out very well. 9 planes have crashed and thousands have died”
“That is awful Frank. Lets fix it. I have an idea how e can do it”
“Should we test it first?”
“lol why?”

this is actually pretty close to the truth. i work in game development and nowhere else in the software industry have i found such a contemptuous attitude to one’s customer base. It’s definitely a game industry thing.

On topic, I think the ranger GM traits are pretty weaksauce. Specifics:

• survival GM trait in the nature line? should be in the same line as the 20% survival CD reduction trait (currently in wilderness)
  • a GM trait just to make basic attacks hit reliably? this is a bugfix, not a GM trait. Also, there are way too many bow traits already as others have said.
  • 15% chance to block ranged attacks while in melee seems very weak and more like an adept trait TBH.

Lastly, rangers are easily the worst class to have around in WVW, as they don’t do much damage, have much utility and die fairly easily. I don’t think any of the proposed changes stand a chance of changing that.

downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

in Profession Balance

Forzani.2584

Pass the Wind will not be used because it’s not close to being worth 30 pts. 10 pts maybe. same for the other gm traits.

lol I see what you did there

in Profession Balance

Posted by: gawker.8340

gawker.8340

Relax my Ranger bros. Even I thought Strider’s Defense is smelly poo-poo, but i gave it some thoughts. I figured the 30/30/0/10/0 full glass valkyrie would be better off with it than MoC. Trust me, it has high potential usefulness for retreating with Broad Sword.

Of course we would lose +50% damage on interrupt because we can’t have 2 nice things. That would be too OP for warriors.

in Profession Balance

Aridia.3042

Relax my Ranger bros. Even I thought Strider’s Defense is smelly poo-poo, but i gave it some thoughts. I figured the 30/30/0/10/0 full glass valkyrie would be better off with it than MoC. Trust me, it has high potential usefulness for retreating with Broad Sword.

Of course we would lose +50% damage on interrupt because we can’t have 2 nice things. That would be too OP for warriors.

I run GS on wvw and there’s no way I’d take strider over MoC.

You can slap a hydromancy and intelligence sigil on it post patch and have a frost burst, hilt bash, maul combo that’ll guarantee to be crits.

GS already has a block and swoop for gtfo out of dodge, strider brings nothing to the table.

Make it a 5 second span that’ll grand me evade on every attack that I do then I might think about using it.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aggrostemma.1703

Aggrostemma.1703

@Aridia:

GS with Sigil of Intelligence + Sigil of Air and traited MoC will be OP as hell.
10/30/30/0/0 with double Greatsword. 8 seconds and two foes down in wvw

No way any GS users will take the Strider. A trapper certainly will not. Basically I cannot see any build will take this trait.

Poison Master is good if you run x/x/30/30/x so you can take a condi remove.
Survival of the Fittest is good but it’s in a BLOODY WRONG TRAITLINE!
Invigorating Bond: we will see the numbers…

#I no words have"

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Erro.2784

Erro.2784

What frustrates me most of all, is that Ranger’s still have no place in a group. Its ridiculous for a game that is supposedly designed around playing as a team. That long CDI was a waste of everyone’s time…

The ranger already has 1v1 specs that are viable, why focus on that more?

[VII] – Aurora Glade
VII youtube channel
Erro youtube channel

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zatoichi.1049

Zatoichi.1049

You guys think read the wind is bad huh? You think rangers are godly now? Well just wait till the finalized patch notes come out.

Anet: " We thought full zerk longbow power rangers were hitting too hard, too easily from max distance with little to no associated risk, so we made an adjustment to the base arrow velocity."

Longbow – lowered base arrow velocity by 50%

Added: Read the Wind (new GM trait) – Longbow arrows fire twice their base velocity.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

We needed more condition removal, so they make it a grandmaster trait in competition with EB?

This is the stupidest change I’ve ever heard of. New condition removal needs to be easily accessible, not a kittening 30 point grandmaster trait. Who’s going to run a build running around survival skills? No one.

They should’ve scrapped the five point minor trait in BM and changed it to a trait that cures 2 cd’s when pet swapping imo. This would’ve gone a long way for rangers as it’s easily accessible for many builds.

And not only that, but we need trait COMPRESSION. We did not need another trait competing in the marksmanship line. Four longbow traits is RIDICULOUS. Piercing arrows and Quickdraw should’ve been merged, the new lb trait should be scrapped, then increase base arrow speed by like 10% and make a new trait.

And for christ’s sake, get rid of Signet of the Beastmaster. You guys are bad at balancing.

Stormbluff Isle

(edited by Soilder.3607)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

You guys think read the wind is bad huh? You think rangers are godly now? Well just wait till the finalized patch notes come out.

Anet: " We thought full zerk longbow power rangers were hitting too hard, too easily from max distance with little to no associated risk, so we made an adjustment to the base arrow velocity."

Longbow – lowered base arrow velocity by 50%

Added: Read the Wind (new GM trait) – Longbow arrows fire twice their base velocity.

That’s what I’m worried about as well. Present this new GM trait and doing a stealth nerf on the base velocity at the same time. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see them ‘accidentally’ removing the 25% they added a while back (just like that ‘animation fix’ on shortbows). But this reduction of the base velocity would only be for the Ranger longbow ofcourse; not the one Warriors are using (that one will probably see a stealth buff by at least 25%).

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in Profession Balance

Aridia.3042

@Aridia:

GS with Sigil of Intelligence + Sigil of Air and traited MoC will be OP as hell.
10/30/30/0/0 with double Greatsword. 8 seconds and two foes down in wvw

Hydromancy will be better than Air IMO.

Frost burst can crit and it’s on demand via swap unlike Air, which is only at 50%.

Plus frost slows recharge and has the added bonus of slowing your target which helps you land the hilt bash. It has more synergies with Intelligence’s 3x crit using GS.

The only thing about hydromancy is that it’s more defensive in nature as your combo can’t lead off with swoop like Air can, but it makes sense if you have a range weapon. Spam your lb/sb/axe and make them blow their dodges on you and then freeze them when they get up to you. Plus, you have that added optionality of freezing them and then swooping away also.

in Profession Balance

Terravos.4059

I wouldn’t use Hydromancy with Sigil of Intel, because when you swap, you’d crit with Hydro wasting the intel procs

in Profession Balance

AEFA.9035

I wouldn’t use Hydromancy with Sigil of Intel, because when you swap, you’d crit with Hydro wasting the intel procs

Intelligent Sigil would give you 3 guaranteed crit though

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Dave Pare.2069

Dave Pare.2069

Now that I think about it, do we really need these traits? What I mean is that, why not bake them into existing traits instead of new traits?

Read the Wing: Should be default for not only longbow, but also shortbow and harpoon gun. Or bake it into Piercing Arrows, Eagle Eye, or Quick Draw.

Strider’s Defense: Agreed that it’s useless. If you want to bake it, why not Martial Mastery?

Poison Master: I honestly can’t think of anything for this. Some suggested improved healing deficiency in addition to the DoT increase.

Survival of the Fittest: I will say that this is sorely needed, to the point that I’m willing to give it a pass. That being said, it would be great if this is baked into Wilderness Knowledge, or at the least Oakheart Salve, and possibly have the fury removed.

Invigorating Bond: I also have no idea what to do with this. Like some said, I have to see the healing value. But even then, I wouldn’t use it since I wouldn’t touch the trait line with even a ten-foot pole in the first place.

PS: I haven’t looked into other professions, but honestly I think Anet should focus what’s currently broken before adding new.

You should take a look to other professions new traits: it’s almost unbeliveble how Ranger’s new traits look useless compared to other classes.

in Profession Balance

Terravos.4059

Intelligent Sigil would give you 3 guaranteed crit though

you hit 3 people with that Sigil of Hydro it’ll waste all 3 hits

in Profession Balance

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Looks like it will take more than a CDI to fix rangers…

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Kaino.4913

Kaino.4913

@Terravos You ‘do’ realize the CDI thread ended only a couple of weeks ago, correct? Also everything mentioned in the thread isn’t expected to happen, there’s also the blatant disregard you have for the current Grandmaster Traits in the game at the moment. Some folks do run berserker builds with sword or players who enjoy using Bark Skin’s trait as an indicator to back out of a fight. Do be more considerate of others instead of being an uneducated and utterly outrageous waste of characters on this post I just typed.

Garen Traycekin [Level 80 ASH Ranger]
Roaming Spotter Build

(edited by Kaino.4913)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

As others have said this looks like it adds more options for x/x/30/30/x, and does absolutely nothing for 30/30/x/x/x.

We probably needed the NS trait in Skirmishing…

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Profession Balance

Posted by: meikodesign.6471

meikodesign.6471

At the beginning Natural Magic was a spirit trait line now is a spirit/shout/survival trait line.
Seems legit -_-

About the new traits :
Read the Wind : Bug fix

Strider’s Defense : Maybe when we’re running away with GS#3 or S#2 it could bring something… but it probably won’t be used (15% ?? moar rnd)

Poison Master : Wrong aim → Poison is used to counter heal + ty pet to apply a weaker poison on the target

Survival of the fittest : Wrong trait line (Cf. 1st sentence)

Invigorating Bond : Wait’n see, we don’t have enough precision

Lunavi – Ranger 80 ~ Charr Kuttery – Warrior 80
Little Lunavi – Ranger – Rank 4x
[CPC] Insert Coin – Vizunah Square [FR]

(edited by meikodesign.6471)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I must say that all of them are moving to the right direction, BUT they all feel underwhelming, and all of them have some serious issues. I’m going to propose some changes/alterations to them:

Marksmanship: Read the Wind

The idea of this trait is to make Longbow attacks more accurate, therefore increasing Ranger DPS. However, this is a terrible trait that competes with Spotter, Piercing Arrows and Eagle Eye, which are all better than Read the Wind (and are Master tier) and it does’t deserve to be Grandmaster tier. Usually, traits that affect SINGLE weapon types are Master tier, Grandmaster traits are supposed to be powerful, not sooo weak.

Suggestions:
1) Merge Read the Wind effects with Eagle Eye trait
2) Make arrows 100% faster by default and remove the trait

As for the actual new Grandmaster trait, the other way I can think off that increases projectile speed is Quickness. Read the Wind could be used as a Quickness buff, not sure how though. Or maybe a fixed damage boost while the Ranger is standing still (helps with Bows)????

Skirmishing: Strider’s Defense

Excellent idea, adding a trait that gives some sort of DEFENSE to the Ranger and on the Skirmishing (DPS) traitline. However, the effects are simply terrible! Devs had already realised that RNG is bad for the game and they are “fixing” some Randomness on Runes/Sigils, then they are adding THIS trait? More/better defensive options? YES. RNG Defenses? NO.

Now my idea for a defensive trait:
Strider’s Defense: Everytime you use an Evade skill or Dodge, your pet gets Distortion (blocks attacks) for 2s. Maybe it should be moved to Beastmastery though. Would synergize well with Sword and Greatsword, making certain pets a lot better in melee combat.

Wilderness Survival : Poison Master

I agree that Rangers need to be better at using poisons, it fits the Theme of the profession. But increased damage on the weakest damaging condition? Also, on a condition that doesn’t stack?

An idea is to make the trait improve the potency of the Poison effect, make healing skills heal for even less. Poison is not a dps condition after all.

Alternatively, some other ways to buff the Trait and make it powerful without messing around with the poison efficiency:
1) Make poison also apply weakness, making Poison Master a nice debuff trait
2) Have the Ranger either take less damage from, or do more damage to, poisoned foes

Nature Magic: Survival of the fittest

My favorite trait out of all the new ones as Rangers need some active condition removal. However, I’m not alone to think that this is a trait excellent for the Wilderness Survival traitline and doesn’t fit in Nature Magic. Other than this “simple” change, this is a nice trait.

Beast Mastery: Invigorating Bond

Although in theory the devs want to make pets stronger support, can’t say for sure about this because we don’t know the actual heal amount. I guess it’s going to be very low anyway, making this trait bad like the other new ones.

On Pets:
I’m disappointed that after countless threads on pets, even a whole CDI on Rangers, there is still nothing being done about Pet Survivability in certain situations, like Dungeons, WvW sieges, Open World bosses etc

Improving their Hit Points didn’t help at all, they still die in a second, while improving F2 abilities won’t help either. A dead pet can’t use their F2 ability right?

And they had such an excellent opportunity with the new traits to add something to pet survivability, but of course they didn’t, they neglected pet survivability once again.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: nagymbear.5280

nagymbear.5280

My views on Read the Wind:

Read the Wind:
I think in a PvP setting the worst enemy of ranger is terrain, all those obstructeds are quite annoying. I think I can see what the idea here was, being LB ranger becoming better at point capping (unless they wanted to throw a bone to zerker LB duellers). But I just don’t see this ever being taken over other traits. Beastmaster’s signet is something that a lot of zerker rangers with LB utilize since the passives of signets work really nice for them. Other options are eagle eye, piercing arrows, spotter and I just don’t see this being taken only to be able to hit a player 1v1 at 1200 range. In a group scenario people won’t ADADAD obviously. Its a too narrow effect for such investment. The problem zerker LB rangers face (or other power rangers for that matter) is that investing into survivability comes with giving up too much damage. In case A-Net want’s ranger to be survivalists I think this is the spot to introduce a trait to help keep them alive.

Khert Devileyes – Ranger / Mano Negra – Thief / Nagymbear – Warrior /
Elona Bonechill – Necro / Fionna Gymirdottier – Guard /// RoF

in Profession Balance

nagymbear.5280

My views on Strider’s Defence:

Strider’s Defence:
This trait seems useless for many reasons. It is RNG, just like spirits, and a passive one as well. Not something rangers were lacking. Then if you look at what weapons take advantage of it seems even worse. Sword and Greatsword are the melee weapons that a ranger could utilize this on, and Sword and Greatsword already have great defensive utility in evades and the block. And then factoring in what damage we could avoid with this and what trait line it is located in it just doesn’t make sence at all. A trap ranger (already having trouble with survivability) won’t take this over the trap trait… see CDI for ranger utilities being lackluster untraited. A berzerker ranger will not go into melee range in pvp, and if it does what build would it be useful again without weaponswap? Staff eles? I just don’t see this being taken ever.

in Profession Balance

nagymbear.5280

My views on Poinson Master:

Poison Master:
When I read Karl’s comments in the CDI thread I got super excited. I hope this was a rushed decision, because this trait seems lackluster as well. Without considering where it is, we are looking at 100 damage per second on a 1200 condition damge build, and 140 on a 2000 condition damage build. That is totally lackluster. And with pets having access to soooo many poison application, why would we need them to apply more poison? Poison should get some utility not just become a bit better (50% on craptastic damage is still only a bit). And this coming when a lot of our traits are just making things a bit better (like giving 350 traits to the pet only), which was also acknowledged in the CDI thread as well. A condi build won’t take this over the other 2 defensive traits ever, power build won’t go 30 into Wilderness Survival and support builds (if there are any) won’t take such a selfish underwhelming damage trait. Poison needs utility, some kind of added effect to make it worthwile using.

in Profession Balance

Forzani.2584

Poison Master:
When I read Karl’s comments in the CDI thread I got super excited. I hope this was a rushed decision, because this trait seems lackluster as well. Without considering where it is, we are looking at 100 damage per second on a 1200 condition damge build, and 140 on a 2000 condition damage build. That is totally lackluster. And with pets having access to soooo many poison application, why would we need them to apply more poison? Poison should get some utility not just become a bit better (50% on craptastic damage is still only a bit). And this coming when a lot of our traits are just making things a bit better (like giving 350 traits to the pet only), which was also acknowledged in the CDI thread as well. A condi build won’t take this over the other 2 defensive traits ever, power build won’t go 30 into Wilderness Survival and support builds (if there are any) won’t take such a selfish underwhelming damage trait. Poison needs utility, some kind of added effect to make it worthwile using.

Should be torment instead.

in Profession Balance

nagymbear.5280

My views on Survival of the Fittest:

Survival of the Fittest:
One of 2 traits anticipated by many, even though it just doesn’t have enough condi clear to be taken over empathic bond with survival skills having such high cooldowns. This could (maybe) work on a hybrid build depending on the fury it gives, or maybe with a weird mix of soldier/cavalier/knight stats. Maybe a tanky power build can utilize this skill, but it has to give at least 10 seconds of Fury for anyone to consider this trait over tail wind. Unless the Fury provided is significant and without a 30+ second of ICD I’d say that a sigil of purity is more useful than this skill. And I guess this will be a ranger only fury in a traitline that gives boon duration right? Not my cup of tea based on what we know now, this is something that could be useful for a build or two.

in Profession Balance

nagymbear.5280

Poison Master:
blablabla.

Should be torment instead.

I would take 3 stacks of torment for 10 seconds on a 10 second ICD on my Rabid ranger. Wouldn’t help with survival, but a nice condition addition at least.

in Profession Balance

nagymbear.5280

My views on Invigorating Bond:

Invigorating Bond:
This just might be something to help make support rangers feel a bit better in the world of water fields and blast finishers. I did ask for a support heal skill in the BM trait line in the CDI, and this is it. Based on the amount of heal provided, scaling and changes to Pet F2 abilities this could be anything from ridiculously overpowered to ridiulously overpowered. Maybe if more pet skills were blast finishers… hmmm. This could be interesting.

in Profession Balance

Terravos.4059

@Terravos You ‘do’ realize the CDI thread ended only a couple of weeks ago, correct? Also everything mentioned in the thread isn’t expected to happen, there’s also the blatant disregard you have for the current Grandmaster Traits in the game at the moment. Some folks do run berserker builds with sword or players who enjoy using Bark Skin’s trait as an indicator to back out of a fight. Do be more considerate of others instead of being an uneducated and utterly outrageous waste of characters on this post I just typed.

I’m not even taking the CDI into account, the last Balance Patch was in December, That should of been more then enough time to come up with viable traits.

As for folks running berserker builds with sword or players who enjoy bark skin, That’s great….I’m sure some people enjoy Bearbow as well..but adding more crappy traits because some players enjoy crappy traits and specs doesn’t make those crappy traits better now does it?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

“Survival of the fittest” isnt better than empathic bond, but it is good because it gives us build options. For starters power builds can get out of the wilderness line where condition damage was doing nothing for them.

Martial mastery is looking kind of lost in that line too, hoping they move it.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

“Survival of the fittest” isnt better than empathic bond, but it is good because it gives us build options. For starters power builds can get out of the wilderness line where condition damage was doing nothing for them.

Martial mastery is looking kind of lost in that line too, hoping they move it.

But we still have to invest 30 in a non-power line, ie. Marks or Skirmishing. As well as 10 in Wilderness for the Survival skill CD.

x/x/30/10/x is probably still better than x/x/10/30/x

This does absolutely nothing for power. Needed to be in Marks or Skirmishing…

We need to be able to go 30/30/x/x/x and survive.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

My views on Invigorating Bond:

Invigorating Bond:
This just might be something to help make support rangers feel a bit better in the world of water fields and blast finishers. I did ask for a support heal skill in the BM trait line in the CDI, and this is it. Based on the amount of heal provided, scaling and changes to Pet F2 abilities this could be anything from ridiculously overpowered to ridiulously overpowered. Maybe if more pet skills were blast finishers… hmmm. This could be interesting.

It is sad that the only one that seems like it will be genuinely useful is the only one we can’t really discuss because we have no idea how powerful it will be or if it has any kind of cooldown.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Profession Balance

nagymbear.5280

Based on the amount of heal provided, scaling and changes to Pet F2 abilities this could be anything from ridiculously underpowered to ridiulously overpowered.

It is sad that the only one that seems like it will be genuinely useful is the only one we can’t really discuss because we have no idea how powerful it will be or if it has any kind of cooldown.

Ooops, corrected….

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

But we still have to invest 30 in a non-power line, ie. Marks or Skirmishing. As well as 10 in Wilderness for the Survival skill CD.

I hear what you are saying, but its better than in wilderness where the condition damage does nothing at all for power. The extra buff duration benefits things like RAO and that warhorn buff which helps my power build, and extra health is always good.

Honestly, I wouldnt expect good healing type abilities directly in power lines like marksmanship or skirmish. If you build full dps you shouldnt expect to get good healing/cleansing, its all about compromise.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Dave Pare.2069

Dave Pare.2069

I hear what you are saying, but its better than in wilderness where the condition damage does nothing at all for power. The extra buff duration benefits things like RAO and that warhorn buff which helps my power build, and extra health is always good.

Honestly, I wouldnt expect good healing type abilities directly in power lines like marksmanship or skirmish. If you build full dps you shouldnt expect to get good healing/cleansing, its all about compromise.

Totally agree, my only doubt is that these new traits (especially the NM and Beastmastery trait lines ones) will just create the possibility of more bunker builds which ranger already has, but not new options for DPS builds for PvE and PvP. This consideration came up after seeing the 2 new traits for Marksmanship and Skirmishing trait lines: I read lots of people considering these traits terribles and I agree with them so the only “build diversity” the devs were and are aiming for will be limited to Bunker or condition builds.
Anyway this is just my opinion, there are lots of great players that will probably come up with new viable DPS builds in any case I hope.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

I’m not even taking the CDI into account, the last Balance Patch was in December, That should of been more then enough time to come up with viable traits.

As for folks running berserker builds with sword or players who enjoy bark skin, That’s great….I’m sure some people enjoy Bearbow as well..but adding more crappy traits because some players enjoy crappy traits and specs doesn’t make those crappy traits better now does it?

You do know that you sound awfully arrogant and condescending the way you always tell people to “play your way or reroll” ?

Just thought i’d let you know.

- lynx

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU