Warrior: Pin down to 3/4.. any compensation?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

2nd page bug

/15char

Same will happen with Warrior longbow, already see less using it after nerfing the F1 skill on Longbow, skill 5 is where the majority of a Warrior’s Longbow damage comes from, so after nerf it will be rarely used/seen.

Edit: Yes, put down Longbow and never use it again in tPvP. It’s going to be… er.. so unplayable – you Warriors wouldn’t even find it fun anymore. Scouts honor.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

(edited by Chaith.8256)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

2nd page bug

/15char

Same will happen with Warrior longbow, already see less using it after nerfing the F1 skill on Longbow, skill 5 is where the majority of a Warrior’s Longbow damage comes from, so after nerf it will be rarely used/seen.

Edit: Yes, put down Longbow and never use it again in tPvP. It’s going to be… er.. so unplayable – you Warriors wouldn’t even find it fun anymore. Scouts honor.

What is this? Coming on the forums and using LOGIC and REASON?!?! Don’t you know they have no place here?

I think its really funny that many warrior’s honestly think that this nearly-undodgeable skill (no real animation, hits instantly in pvp-type ranges) that is nearly an “I-win” button against a lot of classes, on a class as strong and sturdy as a warrior is reasonable. These people would probably also think that an instant-cast, 1-Million damage, 10s evade, 10s CD skill would be balanced if it were on a warrior too…

Edit: Almost forgot, longbow is still incredibly strong, especially when you can drop a really-strong fire-field as big as mid-foefire (seriously, it doesn’t have to be aimed 90% of the time, just anywhere you cursor lands on screen usually works), has a nice blast if you land it, and a couple of controls/other burn, ON A RANGED WEAPON, is all that bad. Also, it guarantees 3x condi-clear as fast as you can get adrenaline (pretty much when this skill is off CD) when using cleansing ire. I second what Chaith said, if you think longbow is weak now, PLEASE don’t use it. I will thank you fore playing worse specs.

(edited by BlackBeard.2873)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Swagg.9236

Swagg.9236

Trouble is, ANet goes about giving [Pin Down] a nice little telegraph, but then turns around and gives [Burning Speed] evasion frames.

1) Burning Speed is easy to dodge.
2) Burning Speed is attached to Elementalist, a HYPER-squishy class in sPvP that doesn’t even warrant spots in tournament teams at the moment. You think everyone can lay back as much as a Warrior? Get real. Evasion frames on one skill isn’t even close to bringing Ele to tPvP viability any day soon.

A negligible increase in cast time to a skill that will still connect through the thousands of particle effects anyway, attached to a class that won’t die in an instant if the intended skill doesn’t land/work. Boo-kitten-hoo.

Balancing powerful skills properly in a game without a global mana system requires making them risky for the user to activate in a fight.

Trouble is, ANet goes about giving [Pin Down] a nice little telegraph, but then turns around and gives [Burning Speed] evasion frames.

Two completely different things. Burning speed has a HUGE tell which allows you to evade/block the skill if necessary. Pin down on the other hand.. Has a very low cast time and no noticeable animation. The only way I can tell the difference is from the difference in the way the projectile looks.

Balancing powerful skills properly in a game without a global mana system requires making them risky for the user to activate in a fight.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

I agree, but we’re talking about the elementalist, where their passive defense already makes them incredibly risky, and where most of their skills are under high cooldowns and are highly telegraphed.

Generally, the burning speed change will still involve skillful playing and some risk: it needs to be timed very well – and sometimes that might come at the cost of delaying your burst sequence (or alternatively, burst without taking advantage of the evasion), to dodge a burst that would kill you.

It is, in no way, comparable to the current state of Pin Down.

Even other melee skills that serve a specific purpose to the new burning speed (burst + defense to naturally “squichy” classes), like mesmer’s blurred frenzy, are slightly easier and safer to use than the new burning speed will.

I’d even argue that the nerfed Pin Down is still potentially less risky than the buffed Burning Speed.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

Pin down was dumb before, glad they nerfed it

Phaatonn, London UK

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

compensation for what?
lol wtf.

The great forum duppy.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Lazy Mesmer.7923

Lazy Mesmer.7923

Pin Down was trying to do too much; piercing, bleed stacks, immob, swirlyness… but I think removal of the bleeds would’ve been a far better direction to go in, rather than telegraphing. I realise ANet love adding telegraphs atm as they feel it makes combat more reactive, but I’m sure they’ve also said that one of the keys to a warrior is being able to stay on a target.

Choose one or the other; CC or damage (like you said warriors were meant to do with the hammer), don’t keep both and make it an “ah well, I might as well push this button and see if it works”.

Klaev
[PRXM] Praxium

(edited by Lazy Mesmer.7923)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

Comparing warriors to eles is just silly. They have the biggest base stat disparity in the game between the two and wars already have better healing and condi removal without having to spend 30 points in a defensive tree just to be able to cleanse. If you want everything on one class it should at least have longer cast times and less burst otherwise who would ever play anything but a warrior.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Rarnark.5623

Rarnark.5623

The problem with this skill is purely the lack of telegraph, not the cast time.

Just update the animation so it’s as obvious as smoldering arrow and remove some of the bleed stacks.

Problem solved.

Spirit Bae
Bad Boy Teenager Club [BBTC]
twitch.tv/rarnark

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Kahrgan.7401

Kahrgan.7401

The point of a nerf is to bring the power down, why in the world would you be compensated?

Play another class, then QQ.

Don’t call anyone out on their BS, that’s an infraction and a deleted post. —Anet.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: squeezebag.4618

squeezebag.4618

Anyone that PvPs that has half a brain (even warriors) agree that longbow#5 needs a telegraph. Right now it just looks like an autoattack, basically unavoidable unless you dodge randomly and get lucky. I myself play a warrior in PvP and this change is needed.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Are you serious? Compensation for nerfing one of the principal weapons in a low-skill build that has had free reign over both PvP game modes for three months? And you still have healing signet, the most overpowered skill in the game, which got away with nothing but an inconsequential pity nerf.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Swagg.9236

Swagg.9236

I agree, but we’re talking about the elementalist, where their passive defense already makes them incredibly risky,

You’re using the word “passive” incorrectly. Passive defense is in fact the most overpowered defense in the game. Just say that Elementalists are inherently squishy.

and where most of their skills are under high cooldowns and are highly telegraphed.

That is not a bad thing. Moreover, [Burning Speed] isn’t exactly something that sticks out in a messy midfight anyway. It’s very easy to successfully land.

Generally, the burning speed change will still involve skillful playing and some risk:

No it won’t, the balance team took the risk out of it by giving it evasion frames. [Burning Speed] is on the same level as [Blurred Frenzy] or [Pistol Whip] now. There’s no skill, timing or risk in using a skill that negates incoming damage while you use it. By your definition of skill, they should give [Meteor Shower] and [Churning Earth] evasion frames during their cast-times because people can sneak up to you and interrupt the channel.

it needs to be timed very well – and sometimes that might come at the cost of delaying your burst sequence

[Burning Speed] IS the "burst sequence. Moreover, it’s a 240-radius blast. There’s barely any timing or aiming to be done.

I wasn’t comparing anything. I was calling out the balance team on its repeated poor decision making.

Even other melee skills that serve a specific purpose to the new burning speed (burst + defense to naturally “squichy” classes), like mesmer’s blurred frenzy, are slightly easier and safer to use than the new burning speed will.

If a player can’t use positioning, timing or aim to get away with using a given offensive skill in combat without getting absolutely wrecked 100% of the time, then the skill shouldn’t exist in the game. ANet doesn’t realize this and just band-aids poorly made offensive skills and play-styles by adding in evasion frames. It’s an awful skill balance paradigm.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

I agree, but we’re talking about the elementalist, where their passive defense already makes them incredibly risky,

You’re using the word “passive” incorrectly. Passive defense is in fact the most overpowered defense in the game. Just say that Elementalists are inherently squishy.

and where most of their skills are under high cooldowns and are highly telegraphed.

That is not a bad thing. Moreover, [Burning Speed] isn’t exactly something that sticks out in a messy midfight anyway. It’s very easy to successfully land.

Generally, the burning speed change will still involve skillful playing and some risk:

No it won’t, the balance team took the risk out of it by giving it evasion frames. [Burning Speed] is on the same level as [Blurred Frenzy] or [Pistol Whip] now. There’s no skill, timing or risk in using a skill that negates incoming damage while you use it. By your definition of skill, they should give [Meteor Shower] and [Churning Earth] evasion frames during their cast-times because people can sneak up to you and interrupt the channel.

it needs to be timed very well – and sometimes that might come at the cost of delaying your burst sequence

[Burning Speed] IS the "burst sequence. Moreover, it’s a 240-radius blast. There’s barely any timing or aiming to be done.

I wasn’t comparing anything. I was calling out the balance team on its repeated poor decision making.

If a player can’t use positioning, timing or aim to get away with using a given offensive skill in combat without getting absolutely wrecked 100% of the time, then the skill shouldn’t exist in the game. ANet doesn’t realize this and just band-aids poorly made offensive skills and play-styles by adding in evasion frames. It’s an awful skill balance paradigm.

I think burning speed has a tell called fire attunement. Warriors can afford to stay in longbow indefinitely; an ele can stay in fire for maybe 5 seconds max.

I like the fact that fights revolve around twitch dodging as well as traditional MMO stuff like buildcrafting, knowledge of your opponent’s skillset, and anticipation.

Both changes are justified.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: nicknamenick.2437

nicknamenick.2437

compensation for what?
lol wtf.

Yes, after 3 nerfs for just one weapon I do think they can do better compared to this..
They nerfed combustive so much it doesn’t do any damage.. anyone can just walk over it without even see your health bar dropping.

And ofc I agree Pin down was to fast before.. I did agree on MANY topics about pin down to increase its casttime to 1/2 sec + some animation and maby remove 1 or 2 bleeding from it..

But now I think they overdone it again.. 3/4 sec and I can already tell its going to be a huge animation..

Did you also read the comments about the combustive shot nerfs?
They did it because you get to much adrenaline back from this skill… many MANY comments where about this because it issnt true..

Anet doesn’t care, zero response on those topics..

About the compensation, after 3 nerfs I rather have a less bleeding pin down (if you ask me I would say give me the OLD pin down back before it get buffed with 6x bleeding) but on a 1/2sec castime.. and some faster/better AA.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

compensation for what?
lol wtf.

Yes, after 3 nerfs for just one weapon I do think they can do better compared to this..
They nerfed combustive so much it doesn’t do any damage.. anyone can just walk over it without even see your health bar dropping.

And ofc I agree Pin down was to fast before.. I did agree on MANY topics about pin down to increase its casttime to 1/2 sec + some animation and maby remove 1 or 2 bleeding from it..

But now I think they overdone it again.. 3/4 sec and I can already tell its going to be a huge animation..

Did you also read the comments about the combustive shot nerfs?
They did it because you get to much adrenaline back from this skill… many MANY comments where about this because it issnt true..

Anet doesn’t care, zero response on those topics..

About the compensation, after 3 nerfs I rather have a less bleeding pin down (if you ask me I would say give me the OLD pin down back before it get buffed with 6x bleeding) but on a 1/2sec castime.. and some faster/better AA.

Nah it’s a good change, pin down is a huge attack and needs a substantial wind up

Phaatonn, London UK

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I play a condi warrior and I agree with this. If anything I might not accidentally haveit miss fire so much by barely being out of angle. I’ll have more time to align, but still press my shot when kiting. :P

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: JETWING.2759

JETWING.2759

Combustive shot get 3 nerfs:
1 – damage per tick
2 – amount of tick (was removed 1 tick)
3 – tick duration (now is easily avoidable, no more land 2 or 3 ticks)
With this nerf in pin down, they could just increase raw damage of combustive shot in 25% to compensate the reduction in the amount of tick.

About Pin Down, Anet could just buff in function and nerf in damage, ex:
- Replace 6 bleed for 2 poison. The duration keep the same.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Still better then the necro dagger 3 skill. And that weapon needs the control probably more than a longbow warrior…

Lol no.

Dark pact is not a projectile. Which means, you can’t hide behind an AI to block it. A necromancer can be running away with the back facing the enemy as he uses it.

It is well balanced between the two.

Yes. I always try run as far as possible when wielding my melee dagger.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Maesk.8753

Maesk.8753

I don’t get all the people in this thread asking for compensation or whatever. Thats not how nerfs work. Your class is OP, this particular skill is also OP, so the devs nerf it to bring it in line/add some counter play to it, and you ask for compensation? For what? Balancing your class?

top lel m80

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

Pin Down was so strong, any nerf it receives would be justified.

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief

in Profession Balance

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Still better then the necro dagger 3 skill. And that weapon needs the control probably more than a longbow warrior…

Lol no.

Dark pact is not a projectile. Which means, you can’t hide behind an AI to block it. A necromancer can be running away with the back facing the enemy as he uses it.

I do run as far as possible when wielding my melee dagger. My Minions will attack them from behind. It also cause enemies to spam their best abilities thinking they are going to land.

If you don’t like running, then you can uses it as the enemy dodges behind you and then turn around to get your back.

Your sarcasm is terrible. Just like your skills if you don’t even know DP use.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

They should also nerf the radius for combustive shot. In sPvP if you fight for a spot you have to eat it for the full duration or the point is decaped. No way to avoid it.

in Profession Balance

nicknamenick.2437

They should also nerf the radius for combustive shot. In sPvP if you fight for a spot you have to eat it for the full duration or the point is decaped. No way to avoid it.

They already did on stage 1.

Btw warr is not alone in this, engi can do this much easier or necro landing all his marks..

Also cumbustive shot damage is a joke, get of your point and fight and get back or something..

You dont stay on capture point if engi is bombing you to dead i hope..

in Profession Balance

nicknamenick.2437

Pin Down was so strong, any nerf it receives would be justified.

I rather have a less damaging pin down on 1/2 sec compared to this..

Longbow is designed around pin down before it get the huge amount of bleeding..

They added bleeding to make it a strong skill.

And now its 3/4 sec + ofc a massive message so everyone see when you need to dodge…

why not give the old pin down back or remove some bleeding so it issnt that strong, but on 1/2sec.

Anet does this all the time, buff a skill to a massive skill, nerf it so it issnt viable anymore vs any decent player

in Profession Balance

Lupanic.6502

Btw warr is not alone in this, engi can do this much easier or necro landing all his marks..

Also cumbustive shot damage is a joke, get of your point and fight and get back or something..

240 radius (for 10points in explosives) with a delay of 1sec (or 3sec for BigBomb)before it explodes makes it easy to dodge and run around. The fire field is only 3 sec in place. Most important you still can stay on point.
For warrior 360 radius and 9 sec duration fire field on a 10 sec cooldown is not avoidable and you have to eat it.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: laquito.5269

laquito.5269

Mhh, delicious warrior tears. It’s gonna be hard for the average warrior player, because now they actually have to think about when to use pin down, or bait the oppo into dodging, which is something they’re naturally not used to.

Attachments:

Retired GW2 Player

in Profession Balance

nicknamenick.2437

240 radius (for 10points in explosives) with a delay of 1sec (or 3sec for BigBomb)before it explodes makes it easy to dodge and run around. The fire field is only 3 sec in place. Most important you still can stay on point.
For warrior 360 radius and 9 sec duration fire field on a 10 sec cooldown is not avoidable and you have to eat it.

Talking about spamming bombs/grenades on points. Does more compared to 1 combustive shot..

in Profession Balance

Lupanic.6502

Talking about spamming bombs/grenades on points. Does more compared to 1 combustive shot..

yes sure spamming. You see a big circle every time and you have space and time to avoid damage. If he hits you with a bomb than this is not the end of the world but you can evade run away most of the bombs (you can also push him back, root him and so he is not able to hit you with a bomb). If you are fighting against a warrior on the point you are burning the complete time because you can not evade or run away. It covers the complete point for 9 sec.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Arlette.9684

Arlette.9684

I foresee a “bright” future for Guild Wars 2 once that patch rolls out and everyone realizes that Warrior is still king.

8% Signet nerf, 10% damage nerf… some nerfing that is.

e-sport my kitten

Moira Dreamweaver lvl 80 Guardian [TG], Sky Mira lvl 80 Ranger [TG]
Isle of Janthir
All is Vain

in Profession Balance

Posted by: xXxOrcaxXx.9328

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

Horrible :/
One more wrong and unnecessary LB nerf :/

They may remove the weapon from warrior :/

Serously, you can start complaining if you’re ever as bad as the ranger LB, which I doubt would happen.
People complain about warrior going to be nerfed, despite being still incredible strong, while ranger is still useless in any kind of structured PvE.

Ranger - Guardian - Warrior - Elementalist - Necromancer - Mesmer
EU Elona Reach – Void Sentinels

(edited by xXxOrcaxXx.9328)

in Profession Balance

nicknamenick.2437

Do we really care about pve? These topics are about pvp/wvw. And i think ranger longbow is great there. Good damage on rapid fire + you have stealth and knockback and nice aoe skill on point or wvw

+ great damage on AA on some range

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Bear on the job.6273

Bear on the job.6273

I think ANet should reconsider this and adjust the animation time to 1/2 second first, instead of going all the way to 3/4 second. See how that plays out and work from their.

When they made the skull crack change, it went from 1/4 to 1/2 second animation, and that was for a melee attack where you have even less time to react. Changing pin down to 3/4, and still including the travel time…this will probably never land unless the target is already CCed. For me, this attack already misses more than 50% of the time due mainly to dodging and the ubiquitous “obstructed” message (when the target is 5 feet in front of me…)

Also, from a condi war perspective, do NOT reduce the bleed stacks on this, ever. The hambows only use this skill for the ranged immobilization, so they are eager to give up the bleed stacks if it buys them some other advantage in bargaining. But for the players that use the weapon for the condi damage, pin down is our bread and butter. If anything, increase the bleed stacks, but shorten the duration. 8×8 instead of 6×12 would be good.

in Profession Balance

Arlette.9684

I think ANet should reconsider this and adjust the animation time to 1/2 second first, instead of going all the way to 3/4 second. See how that plays out and work from their.

When they made the skull crack change, it went from 1/4 to 1/2 second animation, and that was for a melee attack where you have even less time to react. Changing pin down to 3/4, and still including the travel time…this will probably never land unless the target is already CCed. For me, this attack already misses more than 50% of the time due mainly to dodging and the ubiquitous “obstructed” message (when the target is 5 feet in front of me…)

Also, from a condi war perspective, do NOT reduce the bleed stacks on this, ever. The hambows only use this skill for the ranged immobilization, so they are eager to give up the bleed stacks if it buys them some other advantage in bargaining. But for the players that use the weapon for the condi damage, pin down is our bread and butter. If anything, increase the bleed stacks, but shorten the duration. 8×8 instead of 6×12 would be good.

Yea, while we’re at it they also need to reconsider nerfing HS by 20% instead of 8% so that it’s actually nerfed (10% dmg drop) and not just labeled as nerfed.

Isle of Janthir
All is Vain

in Profession Balance

nicknamenick.2437

Yea, while we’re at it they also need to reconsider nerfing HS by 20% instead of 8% so that it’s actually nerfed (10% dmg drop) and not just labeled as nerfed.

You have no idea how balance work do you?
because the 10% damage nerf is for all classes so also warrior, warriot get a8% HS nerf.
So you think warr heals less but you deal less damage also.. Thats right!
But you forget that the warr does 10% less damage also and your heal didnt get reduced..

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Lol no.

Yeah it not a projectile but you still need to face your target to make dark pact work (so back facing doesnt work and it can be LOSed) and dont forget it is only 600 range and has a 1sec cast time and an obvious animation. Normally you can hit with dark pact only against bad players or with a proper set up. But hey i would take pin down over dark pact all day, even with the nerf.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Serdoc.7261

Serdoc.7261

Strong skills should be more telegraphed. That’s just how it is.

Absolutely.

Hopefully all powerful offensive abilities across all professions will get similar treatment, perceivable animations with a 1/2 or 3/4 sec cast time.

I’m not sure, can you, umm…. do that again? ROM – 2015
#allisvain

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

Isn’t the problem is that it is a 4s ranged immobilize (bleed stacks aside which is arguably the best part)? The activation time increase just makes things more clunky.

I would think you would just nerf the immobilize down to 2s, leave the attack/travel time remain and then consider moving it to a 20s cooldown instead of 25s (reducing bleed stack to 5 instead of 6). It seems more balanced than proposed…but what do I know

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Lol no.

I do run as far as possible when wielding my melee dagger. My Minions will attack them from behind. It also cause enemies to spam their best abilities thinking they are going to land.

If you don’t like running, then you can uses it as the enemy dodges behind you and then turn around to get your back.

Your sarcasm is terrible. Just like your skills if you don’t even know DP use.

There were comparions showing imobilizes and pindown was way ahead. Especialy for same CD , a no mana game and a crucial ability with no cast or tell.

The nerf is justified, there are 100 other big skills who also needs animation nerfs , and maybe 10 who need buffs. Its a good start , stop whinning.

The necro comparison is not point of thread, but ill take the bait:
-its a niche scenario
-1v1 necro is already strong , u cant run from group focus with dagger#3
-no bodyblocking helps, but clutter needs to be solved by reducing it, not making mechanics ignore it
-game doesnt a necro weapon which works best with AI builds.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Paulie.6215

Paulie.6215

Is it wrong that I get happy when I see warriors complain about ANYTHING? I love it. God I wish warriors were deleted from the game.

Anet would never do anything to hurt their precious pet class. I mean 30 hps nerf on healing signet????

My ranger in full cleric gear gets 160 hps with passive regen!! That’s with 1565 healing power. It’s laughable now. I wish anet would just come out and say they want everyone to play warriors.

in Profession Balance

nicknamenick.2437

Is it wrong that I get happy when I see warriors complain about ANYTHING? I love it. God I wish warriors were deleted from the game.

Anet would never do anything to hurt their precious pet class. I mean 30 hps nerf on healing signet????

My ranger in full cleric gear gets 160 hps with passive regen!! That’s with 1565 healing power. It’s laughable now. I wish anet would just come out and say they want everyone to play warriors.

Hmm so now you compare a utility skill with a healingskill?

in Profession Balance

Arlette.9684

Freshly baked, I give you decision making in Guild Wars 2

Attachments:

Isle of Janthir
All is Vain

in Profession Balance

nicknamenick.2437

Freshly baked, I give you decision making in Guild Wars 2

Lol