[general] Thief Traps.

[general] Thief Traps.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Suggestions for Thief traps on a couple points.
1. Thief traps are visible to enemies
Visible traps means a conscious level of zoning, the idea is not to make thief traps blatantly stand out, but however for an indicator to be there for one paying attention. The exception to this idea is shadow trap, that trap would stay invisible but give a visual que when triggered. Now making the remaining three traps is a necessity in order for point two to work.

2.Thief traps are unevadable and unblockable
With traps being visible, their activation is on the opponent. Dodge roll is especially powerful and invalidating needle trap and tripwire with a dodge roll if made visible greatly removes their threat, by being unevadable and undodgable they must specifically be avoided through positioning. Ambush trap already cares not if the opponent is evading which makes it reliable.

3. Thief traps can have more than one instance of themself on the field
Not all traps are created “equally” and a certain level of flexibility is needed for what the thieves traps ideally do. Unlike Ranger traps, thieves would not be invisible (with 1 exception), as of current they lack the point assault potential of ranger traps both when traited and untraited. A trap like Shadow trap, needs only to have one instance of itself on the field. However Needle trap could have say two or three instances on the field as a maximum instead of the current one. The quantity increases success and the zoning potential.

An example of how Traps could function as a result
Current:
Needle trap
30s cooldown 1/2s cast.
Damage: 81
Immobilized: 3 s
Poison: 6 s
Range: 900
Unblockable

Template:
Trap
20s Cooldown 3/4s cast. 3 initiative cost
Damage: 81
Immobilize: 2s Does not trigger if foe is already immobilized.
Poison: 5s
Amount: 3
Unblockable
Unevadable.
———————-
On discussion playing with traps the frequent issues I find are.
1. Needle trap and Tripwire are* often evaded*, by well random dodges out of nowhere. There are enough on dodge traits, and hell just ADD random dodging that invalidates these skills.
2. Thieves generally are not point defenders, traps don’t make them as such but allow them to assist in point defense and set-up situations for them to weaken/down threats. That only works if they hit though. Their shape isn’t in tune with the nodes of conquest. Which makes them to an extent less reliable than ranger traps again.
3. Layering traps (Trap procs, and your trap already off CD, you plant again while the current ones effects are present) are a bit of a worry, and it’s just how it is given that the effects will directly stack given the chance, and the cast times to make them considerable within combat even if they are generally unwieldy.

The great forum duppy.

(edited by ensoriki.5789)

[general] Thief Traps.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

I personally think every single trap needs to be removed and turned into aoe team utility skill that thieves lack.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

[general] Thief Traps.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ens.9854

ens.9854

I personally think every single trap needs to be removed and turned into aoe team utility skill that thieves lack.

I agree, I actually used traps as an example of skills that simply could not be balanced without being totally reimagined because they have such strong effects only kept in check by being completely unreliable.

Or maybe we remove them and give thieves their own thief petting zoo!?!?

[general] Thief Traps.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

I agree, I actually used traps as an example of skills that simply could not be balanced without being totally reimagined because they have such strong effects only kept in check by being completely unreliable.

yeaaaahhhh ninja mastermind!!! jk, i would uninstall if thieves turned into another minionmancer :s

and i play thief doh

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

[general] Thief Traps.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: fierotecknics.5961

fierotecknics.5961

Removal of traps would be awesome. I never ever use them. I would, however, use useful skills.

[general] Thief Traps.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

The unreliability is why I think they have to be nudged into a more accurate direction. Can’t reliably hit with dodge roll around unless they ignore that. Can’t just have undefendable utilities unless they are visible either.

As far as removal goes I find that well pointless. It’s been quite some time since I’ve slotted a trap so I figure I’d say exactly what irks them around me.
Even Shadow trap only really became useful because it got a guaranteed effect which was the teleport on deconstruct. Unless every Trap skill is going to get some kind of Chain skill to increase reliability, which may not be a poor route to go either.

The great forum duppy.

(edited by ensoriki.5789)

[general] Thief Traps.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

the only trap i have ever used really is shadow trap … but i really don’t like to use it because when u teleport if there is a bush of a tree or a hill it will catch on that . and because u got stuck on a tree and did not teleport to your rightful position it was a total waist of a ulitility .i really wish that they would fix it so u don’t catch on every lil hill tree and bush and be stopped in your tracks. will this ever be fixed?
it feels like a broken skill even though it can be strong

[general] Thief Traps.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Arkantos.7460

Arkantos.7460

the only useful ground ae “trap” is caltrops, and for the reason it isnt a trap, it is more useful

traps have to high cd, low effects, no personal control, so would also agree with @Cynz

Good Thiefs are average,
Skilled Thiefs are dangerous