rapid fire shouldn't track through stealth

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

Stealth is not invulnerability. They cant target you while in stealth with a direct attack, but if they hit you before you stealth, that’s part of that skill.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

I can’t believe this thread is still going…

in Profession Balance

Posted by: STRanger.5120

STRanger.5120

Arrow speed was never buffed and you can’t dodge RF by just walking left and right in the past. In the past there are latency between each arrow shot, the patch just address those latencies, not making the arrows go faster.

Well, this is half-true statement.
Arrow speed wasn’t buffed directly, however the new traits gave the opportunity to make LB/Harpoon projectiles faster, for a 6 points in the Marksmanship line, yeah, it’s a grandmaster trait, and the investment is heavy for it.
I know it’s a hard hit to those who abused the strafing “glitch”, let’s be honest, arrow flying at a basic speed (without the trait) should never been implemented in the first place, because it would hardly take off from the bow…
A lot of projectile attacks have this problem, the anticipating in target movement makes them totally unusable against a human target on longer ranges, because it can be simply “out-strafed”, meh…

RF before the patch had a high projectile speed by default. It was actually the only reliable way to hit moving targets. RtW did not change reliability on the skill.

Hmm, no LB skill have high projectile speed as a default, it’s caused by this:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Read_the_Wind
which was exactly what I have written in the post you replied to.

I was always laughing at my friend (who mains a Ranger) regarding the slow projectile speed before RtW was added in the game, so I’m pretty sure that it’s not “default”.

#ELEtism 4ever

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Bryzy.2719

Bryzy.2719

I can’t believe this thread is still going…

I know right.

What thread boils down to, in essence, is “I activate stealth after someone has started channeling a skill on me, but instead of me slightly adjusting my gameplay to avoid this problem, I need to get all channeled skills nerfed”

It’s both QQ and an admittance of being a bad player.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sandrox.9524

Sandrox.9524

Please teach me how to see behind me aswell as infront of me or above me.please.

The funny part here is that this is written by a guy who plays the two classes in game who have access to stealth and can walk up to people undetected

Heh,maybe so,but the differences betwin,stealth,and juking from 1200m with a almost instant channel,is that the proffesions who do uses stealth like the two you were aiming at,the huge burst is from melee range,not 1200m away.It is like backstabbing have range now :o

but when the ranger is not in your LOS you pretty much screwed.

When the ranger is not in your LoS, then that means that their rapid fire will be obstructed.

Argument dismissed.

This comment could happen for one of these reasons:
1.This user is completely ret_rd
2.This user have diffculty reading English.
3.This user maybe have a user,but never played the game.
4.This user simply a bad troll.
5.This user have 8 characters level 80,all rangers.

Maybe all,but that is very rare.

lol? I prefer not to argue with ad hominem, so I guess I’ll just be on my way.

Please teach me how to see behind me aswell as infront of me or above me.please.

Rangers aren’t magically appearing out of thin air. If you aren’t constantly scanning around yourself in any PvP game you need to step up your performance. Not to mention this game provides you with a big red sign above your enemy so that they can’t just blend in somewhere.

If you gonna say that you never ever in your whole (lets say 3k hours) time playing this game,didnt got flanked or hit behind without noticing(Exluding stealth),i’d ask what are you smokin’,cause it is a kitten good one.Cause,part of stealth,rangers can hit you from miles away,so yeah,w/o notice you will get barrage.and it happens alot.With or w/o high situational awareness.

but when the ranger is not in your LOS you pretty much screwed.

When the ranger is not in your LoS, then that means that their rapid fire will be obstructed.

Argument dismissed.

That was incredibly unnecessary and basically offensive. You could have just put forth your counter argument without resorting to ad hominem. You represent the more cancerous vein of the GW2 community.

Actually,it wasnt so offensive,and the people who represent the “more cancerous vein of gw2” is the ones which invented this term.Learn to accept critque,it is not like I offended on ethic level or on somthing personal.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Rangers aren’t magically appearing out of thin air. If you aren’t constantly scanning around yourself in any PvP game you need to step up your performance. Not to mention this game provides you with a big red sign above your enemy so that they can’t just blend in somewhere.

If you gonna say that you never ever in your whole (lets say 3k hours) time playing this game,didnt got flanked or hit behind without noticing(Exluding stealth),i’d ask what are you smokin’,cause it is a kitten good one.Cause,part of stealth,rangers can hit you from miles away,so yeah,w/o notice you will get barrage.and it happens alot.With or w/o high situational awareness.

Sure it’s happened on the rare occasion when I was being lazy or I was already engaged in a fight with a good player that required all of my focus.

The thing is if I get blindsided I still rarely get downed because I react with the appropriate counter. If I’m being hit by a channeled ranged attack I will dodge roll, block or reflect depending on my character and what skills are available.

I wouldn’t stealth in this situation, just like I wouldn’t pop a stun break when I get immobilized.

If I was stupid enough to use the wrong skills, or get instadowned by some roaming thieves because I was being lazy and not paying attention, I would be upset with myself for screwing up and then I would go hunt those players down. I wouldn’t come cry on the forums that something needs to be changed because I screwed up and reacted poorly.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

[quote=4568395;Sandrox.9524:]

9 Guardians later…

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

Mod if you’re out there please close this thread, for it has lost direction and flames are everywhere.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Mod if you’re out there please close this thread, for it has lost direction and flames are everywhere.

:D

Attachments:

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Profession Balance

Bran.7425

Just had to whip out your Woody, didn’t you Zero

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

That was incredibly unnecessary and basically offensive. You could have just put forth your counter argument without resorting to ad hominem. You represent the more cancerous vein of the GW2 community.

Actually,it wasnt so offensive,and the people who represent the “more cancerous vein of gw2” is the ones which invented this term.Learn to accept critque,it is not like I offended on ethic level or on somthing personal.

You resorted to attacks on my intelligence. That’s incredibly personal and completely irrelevant to critique.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Just had to whip out your Woody, didn’t you Zero

Yeah I had to whip out my Woody, it’s a nice warm and cozy place in this thread…

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Profession Balance

Sandrox.9524

Sure it’s happened on the rare occasion when I was being lazy or I was already engaged in a fight with a good player that required all of my focus.

The thing is if I get blindsided I still rarely get downed because I react with the appropriate counter. If I’m being hit by a channeled ranged attack I will dodge roll, block or reflect depending on my character and what skills are available.

I wouldn’t stealth in this situation, just like I wouldn’t pop a stun break when I get immobilized.

If I was stupid enough to use the wrong skills, or get instadowned by some roaming thieves because I was being lazy and not paying attention, I would be upset with myself for screwing up and then I would go hunt those players down. I wouldn’t come cry on the forums that something needs to be changed because I screwed up and reacted poorly.

First, who said something about stunbreak or stealth?

Secondly,unless you are The Flash(which will be very cool) I cant see how can you dodge a 2.5sec(almost insta) surprise RF,maybe in the last 3 arrows.

In conclusion,I didnt came here to cry,my first post was actually very reasonable,thieves gets nerfed with thier bursts,warriors gets nerfed with thier bursts,so why not rangers?
And let me save you some time,if you gonna say it is not a burst,debate is over for me.

You resorted to attacks on my intelligence. That’s incredibly personal and completely irrelevant to critique.

I didnt resorted to any attack,as I didnt stated anything,I just said all the possible reasons to comment like you did.Saying that I called you stupid,is what you interpret from that.

in Profession Balance

Jim Hunter.6821

Secondly,unless you are The Flash(which will be very cool) I cant see how can you dodge a 2.5sec(almost insta) surprise RF,maybe in the last 3 arrows.

In conclusion,I didnt came here to cry,my first post was actually very reasonable,thieves gets nerfed with thier bursts,warriors gets nerfed with thier bursts,so why not rangers?
And let me save you some time,if you gonna say it is not a burst,debate is over for me.

I didnt resorted to any attack,as I didnt stated anything,I just said all the possible reasons to comment like you did.Saying that I called you stupid,is what you interpret from that.

Who said something about stealth!? You might want to look at the title of this thread again. And reacting to a channeled skill that does it’s damage over 2.5 seconds doesn’t take the reflexes of the flash. If it takes you longer than that to react to something you might be playing the wrong game, maybe you should try something like minesweeper.

LGN

in Profession Balance

Sandrox.9524

Who said something about stealth!? You might want to look at the title of this thread again. And reacting to a channeled skill that does it’s damage over 2.5 seconds doesn’t take the reflexes of the flash. If it takes you longer than that to react to something you might be playing the wrong game, maybe you should try something like minesweeper.

You might want to look at my 1st post here again.Replying to someone without knowing about what do you reply is not very smart.And like I said,you will dodge,but you first take more than 50% of the dmg and it is still alot.(in situations when RF comes from nowhere).

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Chicago Jack.5647

Chicago Jack.5647

In a game where people can potentially jump you from equivalent range literally without any warning, the last thing I’m worried about is a 2.5sec channeled skill.

in Profession Balance

Black Box.9312

You said this:

That has zero informative value. If you honestly think that that is a logical argument and not a string of insults, then I fear you’re even worse off than I thought.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

You might want to look at my 1st post here again.Replying to someone without knowing about what do you reply is not very smart. And like I said,you will dodge,but you first take more than 50% of the dmg and it is still alot.(in situations when RF comes from nowhere).

A few things.

First: People assume that all they can do to avoid a Rapid Fire is dodge. You forget that you have blocks and invulnerabilities, reflects, etc. etc. To those who try to reason “Well why should I have to waste a utility or block on Rapid Fire?” my counter to that is “Well why should I have to waste a utility or block on an Earthshaker, or an Eviscerate?”

Second: If you are completely caught off guard and eat 50% of the Rapid Fire, that is no one’s fault but your own. Hell, I’ve had zergs “sneak” up behind me and I’ve been insta downed by a group of roaming thieves plenty of times but I don’t go around saying that its not fair that I have to pay attention in a competitive environment.

Third: If you are only staring straight ahead of your character in WvW or PvP, you need to fix that. Even if I don’t know where the ranger is the second my health starts dropping, I know I’m going to have to figure out some way to avoid the damage until I can eliminate the source.

Fourth: You shouldn’t play PvP if your reaction time is that slow. 50% of the damage is a whole 1.25 seconds you have to dodge or avoid it and if you don’t, then that sucks for you.

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Shrapnel.7249

Shrapnel.7249

As a person who plays most classes I’ve gotta agree w the initial argument entirely. Going stealth mid-channeling should lose the tracking. I’ve exploited this playing ranger before, it’s all too easy. Sic ‘em is already a very good utility against perma stealthers; I normally switch that utility immediately upon seeing a thief close in. With the basis of thief combat being shifty and dependent upon correctly timed stealths I see the channeling exploit as overkill, especially considering thieves have a trait investment that will put them stealth upon hitting a certain health treshold that is entirely useless if they are caught in a Rapid Fire.
On a related note though, I also agree successful blocks from another character should definitely take a thief out of stealth (if it doesn’t already, I cannot recall).

in Profession Balance

Sandrox.9524

You said this:

That has zero informative value. If you honestly think that that is a logical argument and not a string of insults, then I fear you’re even worse off than I thought.

I agree that it has zero informative value,but it is very very very very logical argument,cause your comment was so narrow minded,there are worse things that could be said about it and there are nicer things,I chose this comment cause this is how I feel it should be.If you gonna be so kitten over this,by all means.I dont really care.All I know that my comment was standard.

in Profession Balance

Sandrox.9524

You might want to look at my 1st post here again.Replying to someone without knowing about what do you reply is not very smart. And like I said,you will dodge,but you first take more than 50% of the dmg and it is still alot.(in situations when RF comes from nowhere).

A few things.

First: People assume that all they can do to avoid a Rapid Fire is dodge. You forget that you have blocks and invulnerabilities, reflects, etc. etc. To those who try to reason “Well why should I have to waste a utility or block on Rapid Fire?” my counter to that is “Well why should I have to waste a utility or block on an Earthshaker, or an Eviscerate?”
My counter to this is Why should I waste block just on the 1st arrow while I get the rest of the arrows? while on eviscerate-blocking really blocks all the attack?

Second: If you are completely caught off guard and eat 50% of the Rapid Fire, that is no one’s fault but your own. Hell, I’ve had zergs “sneak” up behind me and I’ve been insta downed by a group of roaming thieves plenty of times but I don’t go around saying that its not fair that I have to pay attention in a competitive environment.
The moment you compare zergs and thieves groups to a single RF ranger just prove my point thank you

Third: If you are only staring straight ahead of your character in WvW or PvP, you need to fix that. Even if I don’t know where the ranger is the second my health starts dropping, I know I’m going to have to figure out some way to avoid the damage until I can eliminate the source.“The SECOND my health starts dropping…you said it requires 1.25 seconds to get 50% health down,so SECOND is like 40%?and that’s like 1200m away.

Fourth: You shouldn’t play PvP if your reaction time is that slow. 50% of the damage is a whole 1.25 seconds you have to dodge or avoid it and if you don’t, then that sucks for you.The average reaction time for human is 0.50 seconds if you doing other things,that is half second of RF already,and most ppl cannot react in half second nor pop dodge or anything in middle of a fight

Commented on every point you made.

In a game where people can potentially jump you from equivalent range literally without any warning, the last thing I’m worried about is a 2.5sec channeled skill.

totally agree with you.

(edited by Sandrox.9524)

in Profession Balance

STRanger.5120

The answer to this is easy, both classes you mentioned had their burst since beta, Ranger got his with the recent patch, and if you take in consideration the amount of counterplay options and lower damage than melee burst abilities over longer time period, I don’t know where is the problem? I just have a feeling you guys are making these problems up instead of learning how to prevent such gameplay change. That’s all….

#ELEtism 4ever

in Profession Balance

STRanger.5120

The average reaction time for human is 0.50 seconds if you doing other things,that is half second of RF already,and most ppl cannot react in half second nor pop dodge or anything in middle of a fight

This argument is quite flawed m8.
With this reaction time, what portion of Thief’s burst (ambushing you from stealth) you can avoid?

/topic

#ELEtism 4ever

in Profession Balance

Jim Hunter.6821

And like I said,you will dodge,but you first take more than 50% of the dmg and it is still alot.(in situations when RF comes from nowhere).

Rapid fire never comes from nowhere. If you aren’t capable of scanning your surroundings and are too slow to react then you shouldn’t play so glassy.

My counter to this is Why should I waste block just on the 1st arrow while I get the rest of the arrows? while on eviscerate-blocking really blocks all the attack?

You really just don’t know how the game works do you? Block skills end after 1 melee hit, for projectiles they block for the full duration of the block skill.
Example: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Riposte “The riposte only activates if an attack is blocked while in melee range of a target. However, the riposte will not not activate when a ranged attack is blocked; therefore, all ranged attacks will be blocked for the duration of the block.”

The moment you compare zergs and thieves groups to a single RF ranger just prove my point thank you

I have never once since this game was in beta been instantly burst down by a RF ranger. In fact I am struggling to remember ever dying to a solo RF ranger. The few rangers I’ve run into that gave me a hard time were condi regen.

The SECOND my health starts dropping…you said it requires 1.25 seconds to get 50% health down,so SECOND is like 40%?and that’s like 1200m away.

He said it takes 1.25 seconds for a rapid fire to deliver half of its damage. If 50% of rapid fire = 50% of your life then, once again, you need to stop playing so glassy.

The average reaction time for human is 0.50 seconds if you doing other things,that is half second of RF already,and most ppl cannot react in half second nor pop dodge or anything in middle of a fight

Average human reaction time falls between .15 and .3 seconds. If you can’t react in over half a second then that is because you are much slower than the average person.

LGN

in Profession Balance

Sandrox.9524

And like I said,you will dodge,but you first take more than 50% of the dmg and it is still alot.(in situations when RF comes from nowhere).

Rapid fire never comes from nowhere. If you aren’t capable of scanning your surroundings and are too slow to react then you shouldn’t play so glassy.

You really just don’t know how the game works do you? Block skills end after 1 melee hit, for projectiles they block for the full duration of the block skill.
Example: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Riposte “The riposte only activates if an attack is blocked while in melee range of a target. However, the riposte will not not activate when a ranged attack is blocked; therefore, all ranged attacks will be blocked for the duration of the block.”

I have never once since this game was in beta been instantly burst down by a RF ranger. In fact I am struggling to remember ever dying to a solo RF ranger. The few rangers I’ve run into that gave me a hard time were condi regen.

The SECOND my health starts dropping…you said it requires 1.25 seconds to get 50% health down,so SECOND is like 40%?and that’s like 1200m away.

He said it takes 1.25 seconds for a rapid fire to deliver half of its damage. If 50% of rapid fire = 50% of your life then, once again, you need to stop playing so glassy.

Average human reaction time falls between .15 and .3 seconds. If you can’t react in over half a second then that is because you are much slower than the average person.

Wow……How can one become so ignorant.Dude your loved proffesion,doing sick dmg 1200m away,and yes 50% of rf is like almost 40% of your health,while backstab does 50% at most.You giving me a kitteng warrior skill and say that all blocks work that way ? omfg and you say I DONT KNOW how the game works…..and on top of all you think that average reaction time is 0.15 sec to 0.30 and think it is the real reaction time that you have in gw2.That time is in perfect conditions,for example when you drive it is much higher and it is higher with each varieble that is added to the equation(like weather).Unless you have like zen powers or on kittenload of ritalin.And dont worry about me playing glassy,I pretty much deal very nice with RF rangers,what is kittenes me off is the occaisonaly,RF ranger coming from out of my LOS from huge distance and burst me.And I would not argue with you anymore.Im tired of this balance wars anet is doing which set this forum a blaze.

in Profession Balance

STRanger.5120

Wow……How can one become so ignorant.Dude your loved proffesion,doing sick dmg 1200m away,and yes 50% of rf is like almost 40% of your health,while backstab does 50% at most.You giving me a kitteng warrior skill and say that all blocks work that way ? omfg and you say I DONT KNOW how the game works…..and on top of all you think that average reaction time is 0.15 sec to 0.30 and think it is the real reaction time that you have in gw2.That time is in perfect conditions,for example when you drive it is much higher and it is higher with each varieble that is added to the equation(like weather).Unless you have like zen powers or on kittenload of ritalin.And dont worry about me playing glassy,I pretty much deal very nice with RF rangers,what is kittenes me off is the occaisonaly,RF ranger coming from out of my LOS from huge distance and burst me.And I would not argue with you anymore.Im tired of this balance wars anet is doing which set this forum a blaze.

Stop making things up and all will be happy. Thanks for participating though….
Also, why do you QQ if you don’t have any problems with LB rangers? That seems weird….

#ELEtism 4ever

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

I agree that it has zero informative value,but it is very very very very logical argument,cause your comment was so narrow minded,there are worse things that could be said about it and there are nicer things,I chose this comment cause this is how I feel it should be.If you gonna be so kitten over this,by all means.I dont really care.All I know that my comment was standard.

Just to point this out, because you actually believe you’re using a logical argument.

ad hominem: Meaning against the man. An arguer who uses ad hominems attacks the person instead of the argument. Whenever an arguer cannot defend his position with evidence, facts or reason, he or she may resort to attacking an opponent either through: labeling, straw man arguments, name calling, offensive remarks and anger.

That’s a logical fallacy. It contributes nothing to a discussion and looks pretty bad when trying to defend using it. It actually hurts your argument, taking from both your position and your credibility.

in Profession Balance

Jim Hunter.6821

Okay… Shield of Absorption, Zealot’s Defense, Shield Stance, Static Shield, Counterattack, Whirling Defense, Refraction, Parry, Counterstrike, Shelter, Smoke Screen, Gear Shield, etc. all work in this way. There are a few that end after 1 projectile hit but that is usually because they have some kind of ranged counter attack added to the skill.

And unlike you, my average reaction time is definitely quick enough that I don’t eat a rapid fire, whether I see the player or not. Maybe you are just bad at PvP, did you ever think of that?

LGN

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Irina.7418

Irina.7418

I just googled the average reaction time, found this : http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

So, it seems like the average reaction time is around 0.25 seconds when you expect something to happen. It’s probably impossible to give an accurate reaction time against unexpected danger. Some sources say 0.5 sec, other say 1 sec…

Anyway, unlike a thief or a mesmer, a ranger doesn’t come from nowhere. If you don’t look around from time to time, that’s your problem. And, if a rapid fire from a ranger kills you, what about a backstab thief, who can actually pop from nowhere?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

Ok. In exchange, I expect the following to reveal a Thief:

1. Successful blocks/misses/hit invulnerable (duh)
2. Burning effect (flame = bright)
3. Nearby pets (hounds have good sense of smell)

Edit: Changed 1 a bit.

The first suggestion just make sense for decent game mechanics for PvP……the other two less so.

in Profession Balance

Bran.7425

Obviously the issue is stealth isn’t working to the satisfaction of the thief players, lets remove stealth from sPvP and WvW.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: endersluck.4708

endersluck.4708

Sorry if this already been mentioned. My main problem besides stealth tracking is how rangers can pop a huge burst anytime from a “safe” distance. Even if they miss or the arrows only partially hit, thier cd is only 10 seconds.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: endersluck.4708

endersluck.4708

Anyway, unlike a thief or a mesmer, a ranger doesn’t come from nowhere. If you don’t look around from time to time, that’s your problem. And, if a rapid fire from a ranger kills you, what about a backstab thief, who can actually pop from nowhere?

1500 range + lb 3 +lb 2

pseudo thief ranger

in Profession Balance

STRanger.5120

1500 range + lb 3 +lb 2

pseudo thief ranger

Yeah, really “pseudo” because LB #3 has to actually hit to stealth the ranger, therefore making the target aware of his presence.

#ELEtism 4ever

in Profession Balance

Black Box.9312

You said this:

I said that if you can’t see your enemy, then your enemy can’t see you. The exception to this rule is if they are simply out of your field of view (i.e. behind you), in which case you are at fault for not covering your six. There’s nothing narrow minded about it; it’s just very, very simple physics.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

You said this:

I said that if you can’t see your enemy, then your enemy can’t see you. The exception to this rule is if they are simply out of your field of view (i.e. behind you), in which case you are at fault for not covering your six. There’s nothing narrow minded about it; it’s just very, very simple physics.

Exactly. You are responsible for your own situational awareness.

“If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn’t sit for a month.” – Theodore Roosevelt.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c