15,000 Candy Corn for a 20 Slot Box

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

I’m not sure what Arenanet was thinking with this one.

It’s 1,000 candy corn to make one Candy Corn Cob. And it takes 15 Candy Corn Cobs to get a 20 slot Halloween Pail.

At those costs, it’s far easier to just farm 10 gold and buy a regular 20 slot box outright.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Indeed, but there is a MASSIVE amount of CC out in the game already from last year, and it will most likely be the same after this year (which is live even longer no less) and thus they need a high price in order to kill off some of the supplies.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Glad I sold ~750 of the candy corn I had left over from last year. At ~2.5g per stack it almost pays for a 20 slot bag itself at less than 1/15 the corn.

Also lunawisp you can turn 4 stacks of candy corn into 1 cob (and the bag is 15 cobs) like ziataffy and jawbreakers, so the inventory space isn’t as bad as you think.

I was hoping that you’d still be able to mine candy corn out in the world though :/

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

Also lunawisp you can turn 4 stacks of candy corn into 1 cob (and the bag is 15 cobs) like ziataffy and jawbreakers, so the inventory space isn’t as bad as you think.
/

Yep, thanks. I saw that after I made the post. That’s why I deleted it – but not fast enough it seems

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: BoogerSammich.7189

BoogerSammich.7189

Yeah w these mat costs i really hope they are planning on making it rain candy corn… because if not, i’ll have my legendary before the crossing.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: imaginary.6241

imaginary.6241

At least you dont need 25.000 chattering skulls like for the weapon-skins …
Thats just insane they were never as common as candycorn. They brought back only the more common skins for insane prices and added some real ugly ones. Whatever I don’t care.

Klakk Bumm. One of the Leaders of TxS, the European Tequatl Slayer Alliance.
Click to apply for Daily EU Tequatl Kills here
My Guides: xPvP Mighty Stealth Bomber

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

This should be changed. Anet limiting inventory space does not help sell items in the long run.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

/me dawns tinfoil hat. “It’s a scheme for us to buy more inventory slots.”

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

/me dawns tinfoil hat. “It’s a scheme for us to buy more inventory slots.”

Or just eat up the excess supply from last year. Though, I still think it’s a bit extreme. It’s not like we can’t get ~10g 20-slot bags from crafting or “free” ones from fractals.

I know this doesn’t help the supply issue, but even if the bag cost 1k candy corn, but was limited to 1 per account (just to avoid people creating characters to get more if they were 1 per character) at least then everyone who took part would most likely have enough to get a cheap bag by the end of the event.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

I don’t mind if it took a bit of a grind to get one, as long as that grind came through doing various Halloween activities for the Candy Corn Cobs. But assuming you bought 15000 candy corn to turn into cobs, you would have to buy nearly 150 Gold worth of candy corn. A cob itself is right around 9 Gold right now.

Maybe we’ll see those prices drop, but I’m not so sure when Candy Corn nodes are less plentiful than before.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

15.000 candy corns. Which means, they need to be at 7 copper each to buy a 20 slot bag for ~10g.

uhm… what. I somehow knew this would happen though.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

Maybe cobs can drop…or come out of CC nodes? idk but who thinks this stuff up? holiday events tend to be RNG or ridiculous grind in this game instead of fun – kinda stupid.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: ElenaDragon.8401

ElenaDragon.8401

Maybe these boxes can drop like the shatterer wings? They were ridiculously expensive to buy with candy, but as a drop much more obtainable via the TP.

in Blood and Madness

Charming Rogue.8071

Keep dreaming…

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

Maybe these boxes can drop like the shatterer wings? They were ridiculously expensive to buy with candy, but as a drop much more obtainable via the TP.

I’m hoping that’s how it is. The amount of candy corn required is just absurd. Buying it would cost over 150g, and farming enough for a single item would take more than most people will get throughout the whole event. How many people actually have the time or patience to get 500 candy corn per day for the next month?

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

This is stupid.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

Did someone say the LS is grindy?

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Lies… everyone knows Anet doesn’t make grindy games!

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

And 20k for the account bound miniature

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Yeah I am aiming for the mini first. I can’t imagine how I am going to get 20k though.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: EgonVenkman.1907

EgonVenkman.1907

Yeah I am aiming for the mini first. I can’t imagine how I am going to get 20k though.

Be glad you don’t want one of the craft-able skins… they require 100k.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.”
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-27-guild-wars-2-preview?page=3

in Blood and Madness

mrstealth.6701

I suppose they don’t make grindy games, but they sure make a lot of grindy add-on content for their non-grindy game.

In GW1 events like this usually brought us 2 costumes for $8 (temp bundle price) that we could freely retrieve copies of at any time from an NPC, item rewards from quests/instances, and a bunch of free for-fun items(booze, tonics, etc). All we have left from that in GW2 are the tonics and food we get for free. All but a select few items are stuck behind ridiculous grind or $60+ worth of RNG with Black Lion chest keys.

I would have already spent my $8 for costumes in GW1. Here, they won’t see a penny from me for this event. I don’t have a problem the mini packs, but I don’t buy them since I can’t use them while they are in the bank (another thing missing from GW1).

(edited by mrstealth.6701)

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

That’s rather disappointing. I was hoping the 20 slot pail would be a one off item reward like Rox’s bag and the gift sack, not something I would never bother trying to buy with a stupid currency. If I wanted a 20 slot bag I could just make one. Or make an 18 slot bag for a tenth of the price.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I suppose they don’t make grindy games, but they sure make a lot of grindy add-on content for their non-grindy game.

In GW1 events like this usually brought us 2 costumes for $8 (temp bundle price) that we could freely retrieve copies of at any time from an NPC, item rewards from quests/instances, and a bunch of free for-fun items(booze, tonics, etc). All we have left from that in GW2 are the tonics and food we get for free. All but a select few items are stuck behind ridiculous grind or $60+ worth of RNG with Black Lion chest keys.

I would have already spent my $8 for costumes in GW1. Here, they won’t see a penny from me for this event. I don’t have a problem the mini packs, but I don’t buy them since I can’t use them while they are in the bank (another thing missing from GW1).

In GW1 events like this also brought us an opportunity to grind Lucky/Unlucky and Gamer titles to try and make a tiny dent in the insane number of points required.

I’m not saying it’s ok, but after some of the GW1 titles I can’t imagine anything in GW2 looking like an excessive grind.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Blood and Madness

mrstealth.6701

In GW1 events like this also brought us an opportunity to grind Lucky/Unlucky and Gamer titles to try and make a tiny dent in the insane number of points required.

I’m not saying it’s ok, but after some of the GW1 titles I can’t imagine anything in GW2 looking like an excessive grind.

The difference is in the reward. In GW1, it was just for a title, not for items or other tangible/beneficial rewards. The worst of the grind in GW2 is for weapon skins, which are a huge thing in a game where the end-game prestige primarily about style.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Lucky did very much give actual advantages though.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

The difference is in the reward. In GW1, it was just for a title, not for items or other tangible/beneficial rewards. The worst of the grind in GW2 is for weapon skins, which are a huge thing in a game where the end-game prestige primarily about style.

Titles and weapon skins amount to the same thing in my eyes. They;re both either for showing off or making your character sound/look cool.

in Blood and Madness

mrstealth.6701

Lucky did very much give actual advantages though.

True, it did have a benefit to it, but a 2-12% extra chance to retain a lockpick is (in my opinion, at least) less significant than an exclusive reward hidden behind such grind, and was negated by the cost of obtaining the title. And Luck was also something you could keep working on during several events, or even in normal gameplay, not an item that you had a very limited time to obtain.

Luck was a ridiculous title, though. Most of us that maxed it did so by afk’ing on the boardwalk, at the cost of a good bit of gold. At 12% better retention, you would have to go through a lot of lockpicks to actually see a benefit from spending the 1.5.-2.5 million gold it took to get.

in Blood and Madness

mrstealth.6701

Titles and weapon skins amount to the same thing in my eyes. They;re both either for showing off or making your character sound/look cool.

I think a weapon, or a mini, in GW2 stands out more than a title, especially a GW1 title. You didn’t even see titles in GW1 unless you moused over or targeted someone. And in either game, you don’t see your own title unless you go looking for it. You always see the weapon you have equipped in GW2.

The items are what I see, so that’s more important in my eyes. I don’t really care what someone else sees, or what they think of it.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Kedryn.2981

Kedryn.2981

I saw on Dulfy that the 3 weapon Gift of *, needs 10 Corn Cobs and 100 of one of the other (i.e. 100 Gibbering Skulls). That means 10.000 Corns and 100.000 chattering skulls… it’s plain stupid… it’s nearly impossible to get 1k chattering skulls alone… but 100k ???

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

If the only way for most players to get enough of the holiday event currency to buy the best holiday stuff is to buy the currency on the auction house, then the game developers failed.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

I want to see a daily stream of someone at Anet making this Gift. I want to see how they accumulate the 100,000 nougat and the 10,000 candy corn before the end of this event and make this weapon.

I am seriously curious if they even know themselves how much of a grind they have just put into their game. I want to know how many hours they are playing every day just to get the amount of materials they are going to need to make this before the event ends. And no cheating either. Don’t buy it cause you guys have an endless amount of gold, and don’t use the stuff from last year’s event. Treat it like you are a new player who never did the event last year.

Then I want to see them justify it. I want to see them justify that this is fun and enjoyable content. Seriously.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

(edited by SpyderArachnid.5619)

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I am seriously curious if they even know themselves how much of a grind they have just put into their game.

Of course they know, and there’s a very specific reason they did so.

I want to know how many hours they are playing every day just to get the amount of materials they are going to need to make this before the event ends.

I highly doubt anyone at ArenaNet wastes time playing the filler content they keep shoveling out the door with each Living Story update.

in Blood and Madness

Charming Rogue.8071

kitten it. I just crafted my own 20 slot bags. Cheaper than this candy corn stuff.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Bathos.6341

Bathos.6341

Overall. GW2’s second halloween is looking like being far less enjoyable than the first. Not just the the insultingly overpriced items, but there’s less to do. And compared to year 1 the weapon skins suck. At least you can buy the things for tokens now rather than hope for the vanishingly slim chance of the thing actually dropping. But it’s a sad thing that the only item I wanted to buy this halloween was the costumed mini pets.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

15,000 Candy Corn?? O.o

… Welp, guess that means I’m just gonna sell my leftover 1000 Candy Corn from last year then. No way am I gonna get that many even over a month. >.>

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

Working as intended.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

Having to play around the economy yet again. Why bother even playing?

I know I might be the minority here, but I don’t particularly care enough about playing dressup to warrant grinding months and years for a single item, and I’m certainly not going to pay to do so since you put it out of reasonable reach in the first place.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: bradderzh.2378

bradderzh.2378

Seems they have become disillusioned on what is an achievable reward.

In reference to ascended items:
Nar: I love that it will take me time and money to
reach the same level I’m at right now… …said no one, ever.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

Yet again prove they don’t think through what they put out.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: magicweaver.2695

magicweaver.2695

kitten it. I just crafted my own 20 slot bags. Cheaper than this candy corn stuff.

Heck yeah, and who cares if it is a halloween pail or a box or a bag, it’s the space that matters. No one can even see what you have for a bag/storage.

Piken Square

in Blood and Madness

mrstealth.6701

Seems they have become disillusioned on what is an achievable reward.

This looks to be the path they are heading with all of these event-related items. It’s either something so easy that everyone gets one (or more) or so ridiculously grindy/expensive (often in real money) that few have a chance at it. This would be fine if they knocked the item requirements down to a few thousand, instead of 15,000-100,100. They’ve lost sight of the mid-ground, and all we get are the extremes.

I think they were on the right track back during the Dragon Bash, with fairly rare items from RNG boxes that dropped from every mob in the game. I’d rather take my chances with that RNG than have the reward stuck behind 100,000 items I know I’ll never get in the time allotted.

The most appalling part of this is the fact that they continue with this terrible Black Lion Claim Ticket/Scrap scheme. Average of $45-55 worth of keys for the current weapons, which goes up 5x in price in a month. That’s $250 (average) or over 1100 gold for a single “old” weapon skin. Anyone doing this for a Zodiac skin right now would be crazy, because you can currently get any of them on the TP for 50-170g.

How they can justify a $250 pricetag on a single item in a game is simply beyond me. I could buy 4-5 newly released games for that price, or a dozen (or two) recent games from Steam sales.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

I…

Wow am I disappointed. Unless I’m seriously missing something here, these weapon skins only seem obtainable by elite hardcores who play 24/7 from now until November 11th. There has got to be another part to this event…

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

I now think the Candy Corn rewards are meant to be a long term reward. That’s why a home candy corn node is the meta reward.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

I want to see a daily stream of someone at Anet making this Gift. I want to see how they accumulate the 100,000 nougat and the 10,000 candy corn before the end of this event and make this weapon.

I am seriously curious if they even know themselves how much of a grind they have just put into their game. I want to know how many hours they are playing every day just to get the amount of materials they are going to need to make this before the event ends. And no cheating either. Don’t buy it cause you guys have an endless amount of gold, and don’t use the stuff from last year’s event. Treat it like you are a new player who never did the event last year.

Then I want to see them justify it. I want to see them justify that this is fun and enjoyable content. Seriously.

Right?

Getting the gold for 20-slot bag runes is a million times easier. WTF were they thinking?

The obstacle is the path.

in Blood and Madness

mrstealth.6701

Getting the gold for 20-slot bag runes is a million times easier. WTF were they thinking?

I was expecting the 20-slot bag to be a reward we could reasonably get one of, maybe a couple for those with a lot of time to play. As it is now, the bag is a complete waste of money/candy corn just to have an inventory bag with a unique icon. You’d be better off putting that towards the mini or just selling the candy on the TP.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Tachyon.5897

Tachyon.5897

I saw on Dulfy that the 3 weapon Gift of *, needs 10 Corn Cobs and 100 of one of the other (i.e. 100 Gibbering Skulls). That means 10.000 Corns and 100.000 chattering skulls… it’s plain stupid… it’s nearly impossible to get 1k chattering skulls alone… but 100k ???

Not to mention that 100,000 equates to 400 stacks. I wonder how many people have 400 spare storage slots to store all this stuff?

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I’d love to hear a developer explain the rationale behind this.

in Blood and Madness

mrstealth.6701

Not to mention that 100,000 equates to 400 stacks. I wonder how many people have 400 spare storage slots to store all this stuff?

Once you have 4 stacks (1000), you can covert them to single higher quality item. The max slots you would need is 4. 1 for the high quality item and 3 for stacks of the dropped items, with the 4th stack being in the collections tab.

Of course, this does nothing to rationalize the absurd number of items required.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

You weren’t meant to grind for candy corn in order to get the pail, you were meant to buy it off of the TP and take the millions of units out of the economy. Unfortunately, at the moment it looks like they may have miscalculated on how much inflation would effect the final monetary value of the item.

100, 000 units get upgraded into higher tier mats. 100 units, or less than a stack.