15,000 Candy Corn for a 20 Slot Box

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

The fact that the merchant is permanent means I’m actually ok with the cost.

I don’t mind spending a lot for minis (my most expensive so far in GW2 is about 65g but I’ve spent insane amounts on them in GW1)

Speak for yourself. I do not in any way find this level of grind even minimally acceptable.

At the end of the day, I at least remember that this is just a game and that I play it to have fun and not take the place of a second job.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I can get the reasoning behind ANet making the prices for this year’s Halloween stuff so high (to act as massive sinks for festival items, and to bestow “prestige”), although I do still think the prices are a bit excessive. While I do appreciate the fact that Sonders will sell the mini and the Pail year-round, I also think that getting a festival item 6 months after the festival is over kinda ruins the point of it being, you know, a festival item.

Personally I’d have lowered prices for the mini to 10k, the Pail to 5k, and the recipes to 5 of the upgraded items. What the TP might lose out on in higher prices, it should make up for in volume.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Did someone say the LS is grindy?

Lies… everyone knows Anet doesn’t make grindy games!

“We don’t make grindy games.”

“We make grindy patches instead!”

For things that you absolutely need to remain relevant in game!

Oh, wait. No. That’s not true at all.

Considering this is a game that is supposed to be about—

Let me stop you there.

Sorry. 20-slot halloween bags don’t count as absolutely essential to be relevant to in game content.

That’s something you want. Not something you need. If you’re on a grind for it, that’s something you choose to do. You want to do that.

You can’t blame Anet for giving you the option.

If you don’t like it (grind), don’t do it. You don’t need it. (The trick or treat bag you could get last year for fighting the Mad King is cooler anyway)

If you’re grinding for the thing, first of all, if you’re posting here about it you’re a hypocrite.

Second of all, you send the message it’s not so bad a grind since you’re doing it anyway, invalidating any complaints you had about the supposed grind, twice over.

Send a message with your actions, not empty hypocritical words.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Did someone say the LS is grindy?

Lies… everyone knows Anet doesn’t make grindy games!

“We don’t make grindy games.”

“We make grindy patches instead!”

For things that you absolutely need to remain relevant in game!

Oh, wait. No. That’s not true at all.

Considering this is a game that is supposed to be about—

Let me stop you there.

Sorry. 20-slot halloween bags don’t count as absolutely essential to be relevant to in game content.

That’s something you want. Not something you need. If you’re on a grind for it, that’s something you choose to do. You want to do that.

This is true for everything in the game. There’s absolutely nothing that we need in this game, because there is noone standing behind us with a gun forcing us to play.
Please, think of a better argument, because this one just won’t cut it.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Edit: This was meant to follow CETheLucid’s post, before Astralporing’s, which is why I didn’t quote anything.

I’m not sure why you felt the need to devote three paragraphs to the hypothetical that KorKor is complaining about the grind here, but doing it anyway in-game. Dramatic, but hardly seems productive.

As for blaming Anet for giving you the option…In a way, that’s true; it seems like an expensive option is better than no option. However, that’s hardly the whole story; by making it so expensive, it teases players with a reward that is, for many of them, out of reach. That happens all the time, (including Halloween weapon skins, etc.) and that’s normal…but this is an extremely minor reward, for the most popular holiday of the GW year— It hardly seems like the time or place to be dangling “the expensive carrot,” for a bag that’s functionally identical to an everyday item that costs a fraction of the price, without even being visible on your character, which is one of the main benefits of aesthetic progression.

Players being generally unable to afford an item isn’t unusual, but that’s only the small part of the problem with the Halloween Pail, which is easy to do without. The real problem is that it suggests a major disconnect between whoever set the price for it and what people in general are happy to pay for it, considering they can get the same thing with a different name and icon for 12g. The price doesn’t feel like it had much thought put into it, and whether or not it did, that impression is important, and devastating for morale. Players might not like high prices, but they can understand them; prices that are inexplicably high, however, are more discouraging than a goal to work towards. Thanks to the Pail, a reward which is obviously out of whack with its cost, players have to doubt that the other Sonder the Seller items are meant to be as rare and expensive as they are, rather than also being strangely disconnected from player experience.

Messaging is important, and for whatever reason the Halloween Pail awkwardly mumbles the message “We don’t know what this should cost.”

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

(edited by Redenaz.8631)

in Blood and Madness

CETheLucid.3964

This is true for everything in the game. There’s absolutely nothing that we need in this game, because there is noone standing behind us with a gun forcing us to play.
Please, think of a better argument, because this one just won’t cut it.

Don’t have one for you. Sorry.

I can’t get around your obtuseness about this if you don’t understand the gist of what I’m saying.

There is no “you can only run this content if you have XYZ gear” thing going on in this game.

There are certain people, speed runners that will impose a standard for their chosen method of accomplishing their goals.

But the game and indeed the greater community does not do this because it is not necessary. It is arbitrary.

Edit: This was meant to follow CETheLucid’s post, before Astralporing’s, which is why I didn’t quote anything.

I’m not sure why you felt the need to devote three paragraphs

Lol. Complains about three paragraphs, writes 11. Okay.

in Blood and Madness

Redenaz.8631

That’s because it was nearly half your post on a straw man.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I can’t get around your obtuseness about this if you don’t understand the gist of what I’m saying.

There is no “you can only run this content if you have XYZ gear” thing going on in this game.

That’s a blatant untruth, unless you erroneously consider minipets and vanity skins non-content, in which case it is just misinformed opinion.

(edited by Manasa Devi.7958)

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t mind spending a lot for minis (my most expensive so far in GW2 is about 65g but I’ve spent insane amounts on them in GW1)

Speak for yourself. I do not in any way find this level of grind even minimally acceptable.

At the end of the day, I at least remember that this is just a game and that I play it to have fun and not take the place of a second job.

I always do speak for myself. There isn’t anyone else I can speak for.

If you don’t consider the method of getting these items acceptable than that’s up to you. You don’t need any of these items to play and won’t miss out on anything by not having them, so if you don’t want to put in the effort to get them you don’t have to and it won’t have any impact on your game.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

That’s a blatant untruth, unless you erroneously consider minipets and vanity skins non-content.

I’m confused. Other than the final Halloween instance, which requires the candy corn mini, what content is there that you can’t do without a mini pet or a specific weapon skin?

I admit I’m not an expert on this game but minis are one of the things I’m most interested in so I would have thought I’d have heard about it if they now unlock new activities.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Blood and Madness

CETheLucid.3964

That’s because it was nearly half your post on a straw man.

Congratulations? lol

Half of 11 is three?

Attachments:

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: BoogerSammich.7189

BoogerSammich.7189

I half agree with both arguments in this thread. As far as the 20 slot pale? That should have been cheaper. Maybe like 1 cob or something. The mini? could have been a little cheaper, but it’s also a collectable and i can see them wanting to make it rare. The halloween weapon skins? well it took me a while to come around but i think they are right where they need to be as far as the cost goes. If they were any easier, then they would have not prestige and would be worthless.
TLDR: Halloween pale should have been the “easy” item that everyone could earn. The other items are pretty fairly priced

in Blood and Madness

Manasa Devi.7958

That’s a blatant untruth, unless you erroneously consider minipets and vanity skins non-content.

I’m confused. Other than the final Halloween instance, which requires the candy corn mini, what content is there that you can’t do without a mini pet or a specific weapon skin?

I admit I’m not an expert on this game but minis are one of the things I’m most interested in so I would have thought I’d have heard about it if they now unlock new activities.

The minipets themselves are content. Everything you can have in your inventory is content. Every pixel, every sound, it’s all content.

in Blood and Madness

Redenaz.8631

Edit:

I did write a response, including a comically over-exact, color-coded version of the post I’m complaining about, but I was getting carried away and disrespectful, so I’m trashing it. Just read KorKor’s posts and you’ll see “items you need” aren’t the subject of complaint, but rather the larger application of “grind for it” to the game in general and holiday items specifically, even ones that aren’t valuable or flashy like weapon skins.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

The minipets themselves are content. Everything you can have in your inventory is content. Every pixel, every sound, it’s all content.

So now we are down to semantics of the word, “CONTENT” and not the actual concept trying to be pointed out? I.E. That specific items in the game are not NEEDED to actually PLAY the game. The personal choice to pursue these items to whatever extent is 100% on the player.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Minor clarification/reminder: Sondar the Seller who converts candy corn into cobs and sells the mini is permanent. He will still be around after Halloween is over.

Therefore the mini Bloody Prince is not a limited-time mini. You have as long as you want/need to gather or buy the candy corn to get him.

No. He’ll stick around until around December. After that, he’ll be gone.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Psycho Robot.7835

Psycho Robot.7835

Minor clarification/reminder: Sondar the Seller who converts candy corn into cobs and sells the mini is permanent. He will still be around after Halloween is over.

Therefore the mini Bloody Prince is not a limited-time mini. You have as long as you want/need to gather or buy the candy corn to get him.

No. He’ll stick around until around December. After that, he’ll be gone.

Incorrect. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/bam/Zhaitaffy-Vendor/first#post3029348

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Holidays should be fun. If you make holiday content exactly like the rest of the grindy LS content, then that takes away from their uniqueness.

in Blood and Madness

Manasa Devi.7958

So now we are down to semantics of the word, “CONTENT” and not the actual concept trying to be pointed out? I.E. That specific items in the game are not NEEDED to actually PLAY the game. The personal choice to pursue these items to whatever extent is 100% on the player.

It’s no more a player’s personal choice to enjoy having minipets than it is a player’s personal choice to enjoy any other aspect of the game. There is no difference at all between the pleasure a person derives from having a certain minipet and the pleasure a person derives from playing through a dungeon.

If you think it’s just about semantics, you’re letting your conviction that your personal preferences are the norm cloud the fact that other people may have different preferences that are just as valid. That’s a disturbing lack of empathy.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Imaginos.3756

Imaginos.3756

I sure am enjoying the stupid level of grind added to get something like that bag…oh wait i’m not.

I sure am enjoying spending real money on the gem store to support this current path anet has taken…oh wait i’m not spending a dime.

Totally agree with you.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

I still say 1-2k for an accountbound bag once per account would have been a better approach. They’ve given us a soulbound 10-slot bag last year, a 15-slot back for wintersday, and a 20-slot bag for southsun (at least I think they were “free” I can’t quite remember).

They can do limited purchases (see the laurel merchant and the start mats), and they can do soul/accountbound bags (see last Halloween).

It would take candy corn out of the tp (because people would actually be able to afford it) and everyone gets something to remember this Halloween.

If I remember, last year they “sold” a 0 gem devil horn hat, gave us a witches hat, a 10-slot soulbound bag (remember the game had only been out for ~2 months and no fractals for “free” 20 slot bags, so it was still a nice gesture and useful to some), and let us get both versions of Mad Memories.

This year we got a free mini, a candy corn node, and the mask. And we have to buy the bag and another mini.

The candy corn node is great, but it would have been nice if there was less grind (or at least obtainable grind for those that really wanted it) for festive items.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

I can get the reasoning behind ANet making the prices for this year’s Halloween stuff so high (to act as massive sinks for festival items, and to bestow “prestige”), although I do still think the prices are a bit excessive. While I do appreciate the fact that Sonders will sell the mini and the Pail year-round, I also think that getting a festival item 6 months after the festival is over kinda ruins the point of it being, you know, a festival item.

Personally I’d have lowered prices for the mini to 10k, the Pail to 5k, and the recipes to 5 of the upgraded items. What the TP might lose out on in higher prices, it should make up for in volume.

What reasoning? What is the necessity of making an event to get rid of the CC from the same event a year ago? Would the entire game turn into a massive black hole if Anet didn’t get rid of all the hypothetical CC that is still remaining from last year? Would it be impossible for players to have fun knowing that there is potentially a large amount of CC left over from last year?

Who benefits from Anet prioritizing removing CC over having obtainable goals instead? It certainly isn’t the players with little money and no saved up CC. And it isn’t the players with lots of gold (who don’t want to have to use it up to buy a 20 slot bagf they can get for less elsewhere) nor the players with lots of CC (who would have prefered to be able to buy a lot of things with all that CC instead of just one thing or no things) as the low CC item exchange rate drastically devalued their CC. No one benefitted from Anet’s prioritization of removing CC over making a fun holiday event with obtainable rewards.

To me, the unrealistically high price of CC was really just a case of Anet running around screaming the “sky is falling” upon finding out that some players might have still had some CC saved up from last year who wouldn’t have had to grind out CC this year. But even if they did, so what? So some players don’t have to do as much grind this year as Anet wanted, that would hardly be the end of the world. The purpose of this event needed to be prioritizing fun and by failing to prioritize fun Anet showed itself to be a failure of a game developer.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I never said I agreed with their decision. I think the prices are too high myself, as I mentioned. I just think that the two reasons I stated (eliminating excess supply, and creating “prestige” by inflating prices and thus reducing the number of people able to get the item) are the reason why ANet did as they did.

Like you though, I personally don’t see any reason why we couldn’t have massive amounts of CC at rock bottom prices on the TP. I’m of the opinion that festival content should be fun and easily accessible to all. So what if everybody is running around with a Bloody Prince mini or rubber scimitars? Most of those people will get bored in the future and switch to something else. It’s better in my opinion to stand out in a game by using an abundance of choices to create a unique look, not by just buying whatever is the most expensive or tedious to grind.