Clock Tower - Tribulation Mode

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

For those of us who love to be punished, we need to have a Hard Mode/Tribulation Mode for the Clock Tower. The mechanics from last year are ok, but could be improved to induce more stress this time around!

What do you think about having PvP unlocked while we do this Jumping Puzzle? There’s nothing more punishing than being pulled off a platform by a Thief’s Scorpion Wire. Or a Mesmer’s greatsword knockback. Wouldn’t get anymore challenging than that!

:3

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

That would be a nightmare to balance.

Get it? Nightmare?
mwahahaha

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: BoogerSammich.7189

BoogerSammich.7189

OMG, lol.
/15char

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Spendingallmytime.7249

Spendingallmytime.7249

I like a man that can take some punishment. The safe words are “Yes, please.”

Why you bein’ cute?

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

one fear me is all it would take so no would be horrible

in Blood and Madness

Smooth Penguin.5294

Stability counters Fear and all other CCs, so Guardians would be the new JP meta.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Not to mention that attacks slow your run and jump speed. An interesting idea, but not one that should be implemented.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Klonex.4562

Klonex.4562

i see them adding tiers to this JP the regular old place to jump in is tier 1 and if you want to keep going up for tier 2 and 3 becoming increasingly more hard to make it to.

~Krystal <3 Angela ~
~ I taught cows how to Moo! ~

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: McFly.2134

McFly.2134

To be honest, the first year’s clocktower was pretty hair-pullingly rough until your 50th time when you’ve memorized an exact rhythm for the entire puzzle. You literally could not really stop moving at all through the whole thing.

I would also like a few “tiers” of difficulty this year but they shouldn’t do something lazy like simply increasing the speed or adding mobs. These tiers need to be all new platforms, with increasing amount of maneuvering difficulty.

Wisdom through suffering.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Hexxen.7216

Hexxen.7216

Could anyone do it though? When in combat your movement is drastically slowed so really they might have to remove that aspect from the JP.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Uden Reavstone.3426

Uden Reavstone.3426

Easy, medium, and hard modes will be nice, but make the names to theme. For example, you can call hard mode Nightmare Mode, or Total Madness Mode, or you get the idea!

“Blue team for life.”
“They can’t see me. I can’t see them.”
Michael J. Caboose ~ RvB

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

ok i like the idea as long as there are the old mode too

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Awe.1096

Awe.1096

Meh. Sometimes I just cant understand people. For those of us who love to be punished? Induce more stress? Why would someone play games to get punished and to experience stress? I’m getting too old for this kitten :/

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

Ultimate masochist mode

make it fractal dark.

make the platforms invisible.

make random CC

make lots of people running together viable

make RNG timing

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

Too transparent.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I can see…I can see a lot of Asuran Engineers camping on the top of it, pulling/knocking back/nading/laughing at people trying to finish the JP ;p

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

OP’s skillz are OP, yo!

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServer™, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Acidicore.3264

Acidicore.3264

I like a man that can take some punishment. The safe words are “Yes, please.”

Harder is a better safe word.

Any who, not entirely sure how they could make it harder, unless the camera just spins in a 360 and you can’t control it what-so-ever.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

Not to mention that attacks slow your run and jump speed. An interesting idea, but not one that should be implemented.

I think you are missing the point here. Attacks should instagib you. mwahahahaha If you watch a decent trib mode player they are long gone before they draw aggro, probably because they know the jumps off by heart from doing them so many times.

Love the idea.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Exosferatu.2961

Exosferatu.2961

Call the tribulation mode tower Fifty Shades of Thorn.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Love this one. Have invisible spikes too so you never know where the edge of them are.

Oh, randomly chosen insta-deaths… just ’cause. Maybe with a gemstore item you can buy to prevent it.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Blazing Rathalos.1904

Blazing Rathalos.1904

Randomise the lay-out.

Then again, I’m not Arenanet, and everything in
the above post could be complete and utter nonsense.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Just make it so entering this mode turns off your screen and you’re being led by echolocation, since you’re transformed into bat. You can also catch and eat flies to buy some time.Ah and if you fail… I’d like to hear famous quaaa quaaa quuaaa quaaagan

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

Do it with your screen turned off and there you go. Tribulation mode achieved.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: McFly.2134

McFly.2134

Meh. Sometimes I just cant understand people. For those of us who love to be punished? Induce more stress? Why would someone play games to get punished and to experience stress? I’m getting too old for this kitten :/

The level of difficulty in a task positively correlates to the level of satisfaction received by legitimately succeeding. That feeling you get when you beat a game/challenge that is unbearably hard (but still achievable within game mechanics) is a “high” rarely artificially replicated.

Wisdom through suffering.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Awe.1096

Awe.1096

The level of difficulty in a task positively correlates to the level of satisfaction received by legitimately succeeding. That feeling you get when you beat a game/challenge that is unbearably hard (but still achievable within game mechanics) is a “high” rarely artificially replicated.

I get what you are saying and I understand that reasoning. But I dont blindly agree with it. If a “high” justifies all means, we should all be junkies becouse who cares if meth will ruin our lives if we can feel that amazing euphoria from time to time? There is a cutoff point past which it is simply not worth it. This point may vary from person to person but you need to place it somewhere for general population. I experienced that “high” state in both life and games several times. I know how it feels and I know it is amazing. But I tend to look back and consider if all that hard effort was worth it. Sometimes it was, sometimes it wasnt. So taking an example of GW2. Would 5 hours of complete rage be worth it to experience 5 minutes of cathartic euphoria? IMO it would not. Stress and rage are bad for our health and this has been proven. I know for sure I would never decide to play a game where the majority of my time spent would consist of feelings which are actually hurting me.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

Make your character model show up asura and everyone else max height norn. 20 people to a run.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Guardian pops Shield of Absorption on starting platform; voila, solo instance

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Whitey.6185

Whitey.6185

More challenging? Yes. Enable PvP? No way.

What they should do, is add like levels or tiers to the puzzle. When you reach the top, you can either collect your reward and end it there, or you can gamble your rewards and advance to the next tier, where things get more difficult by objects moving when you’re on them, reduce the time you have, and so on.

If you make it to the top of the next tier run, you get better rewards, but if you do not make it then you get nothing and lose the reward you would have got from tier 1.

This gives a sense of risk and reward, if you make it you can either take it and go or risk what you’ve won to get bigger and better rewards.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I get what you are saying and I understand that reasoning. But I dont blindly agree with it. If a “high” justifies all means, we should all be junkies becouse who cares if meth will ruin our lives if we can feel that amazing euphoria from time to time? There is a cutoff point past which it is simply not worth it. This point may vary from person to person but you need to place it somewhere for general population. I experienced that “high” state in both life and games several times. I know how it feels and I know it is amazing. But I tend to look back and consider if all that hard effort was worth it. Sometimes it was, sometimes it wasnt. So taking an example of GW2. Would 5 hours of complete rage be worth it to experience 5 minutes of cathartic euphoria? IMO it would not. Stress and rage are bad for our health and this has been proven. I know for sure I would never decide to play a game where the majority of my time spent would consist of feelings which are actually hurting me.

You can’t compare games to addictive drugs, games have no physical side effects that go with the satisfaction of beating them. Having a hard mode for more skilled players to be satisfied with beating is great. I never beat tequatl but when we got her to under 50% on my server the feeling was awesome

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Well, honestly, I’d never do it… but hey go for it! I’m perfectly cool with other people wanting it to be even harder, so long as I don’t have to do it. Lol, I can’t even complete it as it stands. XD

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Just make it so the last jump has a wall in front of it that you can’t get past. When people /bug report it, ArenaNet can just tell them, “It’s working as intended” and leave it at that.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Lodovicus.1562

Lodovicus.1562

They could make different tiers of the Clocktower by increasing the size of the tower in each tier and making the jumps on these new portions even trickier.

So where the original Clocktower ended, this is just halfway through the puzzle and the top is actually much higher up now.

More waiting for those that fail? Sure, but that sounds pretty reasonable for the frustration that most of the other deliberately more difficult content induces.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I vote they add pumpkin bombs, that randomly drop from the sky, as part of tribulation mode. Not one-hit insta kill, but they could stun you or slow you down, making the jumps that much harder, in addition to reducing some of your hp. Get hit enough times and its back to the starting line for you.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Problem with this is that if there is any kind of AP or item tied to it you will get completionist whiners cry about how hard it is and that it’s not fair to have content that is so difficult, completely ignoring the fact it is optional. If it gives AP, to them it is no longer optional content. It is “required”.

Easiest solution would be to simply not care about those QQers. I know I don’t. Hopefully Anet doesn’t either.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: LinkR.6190

LinkR.6190

Some people have actually gotten pretty good at the tower last year and would like to see another tier of difficulty this year rather than just a repeat of something they already cracked.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

im pretty sure somewhere they said that theyd never make a jumping puzzle this hard ever again

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

You have to get all the chests or you die.

Done, next?

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in Blood and Madness

LinkR.6190

im pretty sure somewhere they said that theyd never make a jumping puzzle this hard ever again

Not to be that guy, but the tower wasn’t really as hard as people make it out to be. People are probably a lot more acclimated to them at this point. I’m sure people will have a much easier time this year around.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

Not to be that guy, but the tower wasn’t really as hard as people make it out to be. People are probably a lot more acclimated to them at this point. I’m sure people will have a much easier time this year around.

not to be that guy, but i gave up after about 12 hours (not all in a single day) of trying

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

Odd i don’t feel any “high”. Just the relief i never have to touch it again.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Blade Syphon.4325

Blade Syphon.4325

For those of us who love to be punished, we need to have a Hard Mode/Tribulation Mode for the Clock Tower. The mechanics from last year are ok, but could be improved to induce more stress this time around!

What do you think about having PvP unlocked while we do this Jumping Puzzle? There’s nothing more punishing than being pulled off a platform by a Thief’s Scorpion Wire. Or a Mesmer’s greatsword knockback. Wouldn’t get anymore challenging than that!

:3

I really like the idea of adding a free-for-all PvP mode to the Jumping Puzzle. There’s just something fun sounding about griefing one another on a desperate climb to the top of an already forgiving tower of death.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Lol, there is too much room for grieving here and people will say the usual untrue statements. That class is OP etc.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Who knows, maybe they changed the JP on the way up… so everyone expecting the same route will have to learn a new way up. I believe the mastermind Josh could have something up his sleeves with the tower; the clocktower 2.0 – after all, I don’t see him as the type to rest on his laurels.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Blood and Madness

LinkR.6190

not to be that guy, but i gave up after about 12 hours (not all in a single day) of trying

God forbid they give everyone something and not just cater to people who drag the difficulty of the game down. Liadri was one of the best things to happen to the game (though her execution could have been largely improved) and I hope they add hardcore portions of their living story more often. Just because it’s there doesn’t mean everyone is entitled to completing it. You don’t give everyone in the Olympics gold medals just for showing up.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Sampo.9678

Sampo.9678

One thing they could do is make different clocktower jumps.
And you always teleport into a random one so it’s not the same way up every time.

Because after a while you just remember every single jump.
And you can almost do it blindly.

Just like fractal paths that are randomly generated (like dredge paths).
But then different ways in clocktower!

“Be brave, little rabbit. Take a chance.”

in Blood and Madness

LinkR.6190

One thing they could do is make different clocktower jumps.
And you always teleport into a random one so it’s not the same way up every time.

Because after a while you just remember every single jump.
And you can almost do it blindly.

Just like fractal paths that are randomly generated (like dredge paths).
But then different ways in clocktower!

I would prefer they just add a new tier. For me at least, it’s much more fun to struggle initially until I finally get it just right. They give you incentive to do it daily after all. Would be a pain in the butt if I couldn’t improve at it.

in Blood and Madness

Smooth Penguin.5294

There’s a lot of people who feel the Clocktower got a lot easier this year. Mostly due to the fact that the FPS increased, and other players are now spirit balls that allow you to see jumps. There needs to be a mode that allows for punishing mechanics for us who crave that.

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

“Difficult stages are like drugs so they are bad!”

Are you seriously trying to talk people out of enjoying a particular type of gameplay?

Methinks someone couldn’t get through tribulation mode, and is bitter.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

in Blood and Madness

Posted by: ndrangles.5183

ndrangles.5183

Ultimate masochist mode

make it fractal dark.

make random CC

make lots of people running together viable

make RNG timing

someone somewhere would have a speedrun video guide within a couple days, needs to be harder

Majyyks [Os] – NSP