Bazaar is NOT a jumping puzzle

in Bazaar of the Four Winds

Posted by: Shirogatsu.3150

Shirogatsu.3150

Puzzle is a toy, problem, or other contrivance designed to amuse by presenting difficulties to be solved by ingenuity or patient effort.

to jump – to spring off the ground or other base by a muscular effort of the legs and feet.
What are you talking about and complaining is NONSENSE. In all meanings!
This game have VERTICAL and HORIZONTAL movement system. If you need to jump over the pit to proceed further – it’s okay. It’s not a puzzle. It’s just a simple jump.
You should press “1” and then forward. Or “3” 3 times in a row. Or “2” if you see waterfall.
Stop confusing everyone and yourself, please.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

By the definition you have posted, it is indeed a puzzle. Especially considering the limited recharges of each ability, which creates a challenge to overcome (against resources), and demands you to go back to point 0 every time you fail, requiring patient effort. Also, the twitch required.

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

Getting to the crystals can be a “puzzle” in that sense, indeed. If a person isn’t reading a guide or watching videos they will likely need to “puzzle it out” and try different strategies of reaching a certain destination. And likely die a few times during the effort even if they have high latency.

And I agree that the ability to only hold 10 charges does indeed make some destinations require an amount of strategy and “patient effort”.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I would argue that simply travelling from the boat up to the airship up top does not qualify as a jumping puzzle. It’s simply travel. With new skills. It’s not hard, it’s not confusing. It’s a single path (indicated by glowy bits on the ground to guide you). It’s actually far less complicated than 1/2 the vistas in the game.

However, I would classify collecting the crystals in the Bazaar as a sort of JP. While not a single continuous puzzle, this is more akin to many tiny JPs spread throughout the zone. A different design from the typical GW2 puzzles, but still a jumping puzzle nonetheless.

Some of the crystals are quite easy to attain. Others require some thought, planning, and perserverence. All in all though, I would say even the hardest crystal was easier to attain that the most challenging of our JPs.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Finding SKY CRYSTALS and managing your movement resources DOES make it a “puzzle” and if you leave the ground it is “jumping”.

Not sure why it would matter if the term exactly fits some dictionary definition anyway…. The complaints are that some do not enjoy this type of activity (whatever you want to define it as). They have every right to present these complains (however invalid I or anyone else feel they are). Arguing the semantics of what it’s called is just silly.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I would argue that simply travelling from the boat up to the airship up top does not qualify as a jumping puzzle. It’s simply travel. With new skills. It’s not hard, it’s not confusing. It’s a single path (indicated by glowy bits on the ground to guide you). It’s actually far less complicated than 1/2 the vistas in the game.

Those glowy bits are only there during the dynamic event where you pick up goods downstairs and take them to the kite ship upstairs.

Most of the jumping puzzles in GW have a clear single path. Some don’t even require many individual jumps. Yet they are classified as jumping puzzles.

So, some are shorter than Cliffs (Under New Management), some are easier (Spelunker’s Delve), some are more straightforward (Chaos Crystal Cavern) and some are… even less jumpy (Behem Gauntlet).

What differenciates the Cliffs map from them is that there is no chest waiting at the end.

However, I would classify collecting the crystals in the Bazaar as a sort of JP. While not a single continuous puzzle, this is more akin to many tiny JPs spread throughout the zone. A different design from the typical GW2 puzzles, but still a jumping puzzle nonetheless.

Some of the crystals are quite easy to attain. Others require some thought, planning, and perserverence. All in all though, I would say even the hardest crystal was easier to attain that the most challenging of our JPs.

Finding and getting to the sky crystals is essentially the same as collecting orbs in Scavenger’s Chasm.

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Getting from the bottom of the thing to the very top, could indeed be seen as a jumping puzzle, a very easy one though, fortunately. Finding the crystals though is a jumping puzzle, since some of them take skill to get. The 4th one for example, where you need to dash over that thin wooden plank.
And to be honest, I’m so sick of all those jumping puzzles. With every update we get a new one, and I never liked them to beginn with, since I just can’t do them with a keyboard. I need a game pad for precise jumping, which I don’t have for the pc. That means a sizeable chunk of the content of new updates is not possible or immensely frustrating and not the least bit fun or rewarding for me.
I would be in favour of no more new jumping puzzles for a very long time. GW1 didn’t have them and the new content was still fun and diverse, so GW2 doesn’t need them either.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I would argue that simply travelling from the boat up to the airship up top does not qualify as a jumping puzzle. It’s simply travel. With new skills. It’s not hard, it’s not confusing.

That is not entirely fair. I know several players that have a very hard time jumping. One of these players, just cannot get the knack of the new high jump skill. She still hasn’t gotten passed the four jumps to get her to the upper level. She is very frustrated. We are going to portal her up tonight because she has such a hard time with jumping.

So saying that it is not hard, is incorrect. It is not hard for you.

As for it just being travel, that is also not true. You have to use these skills to ‘travel’ throughout the bazaar. So it isn’t simple travel.

I would just suggest that you realize that not all peoples’ skill levels are as good as your own.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I would argue that simply travelling from the boat up to the airship up top does not qualify as a jumping puzzle. It’s simply travel. With new skills. It’s not hard, it’s not confusing.

That is not entirely fair. I know several players that have a very hard time jumping. One of these players, just cannot get the knack of the new high jump skill. She still hasn’t gotten passed the four jumps to get her to the upper level. She is very frustrated. We are going to portal her up tonight because she has such a hard time with jumping.

So saying that it is not hard, is incorrect. It is not hard for you.

As for it just being travel, that is also not true. You have to use these skills to ‘travel’ throughout the bazaar. So it isn’t simple travel.

I would just suggest that you realize that not all peoples’ skill levels are as good as your own.

I was having troubles with the last jump on those high jumping platforms (I’m assuming it was a bad connection that night since I went trough it with no problems the night before several times on other characters). There’s one trick there, there’s a lightning aspect near some stairs very close to that point (near where the fire spirit shows up). Using that instead of the high jump makes those platforms trivial to go trough.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Jumping Puzzle is it’s own noun and is not necessarily the sum of the two words jump and puzzle. However, Jumping Puzzle is named that way, because it is a puzzle where you jump, but that does not mean every puzzle where you jump is a Jumping Puzzle. I hope that makes sense.

For the definition of a Jumping Puzzle – from GW2 Wiki -

Jumping puzzles are open world mini-dungeons with platforming elements that require the player to find the correct route to the end of the puzzle. The reward for solving the puzzle resets daily and is typically a Grand, Magnificent or Splendid Chest. Completing a jumping puzzle will also reward the player with a Jumping Puzzles achievement.

This is clearly not a mini dungeon, there is no chest at the end, and the player is not rewarded with a Jumping Puzzles achievement. So I agree with OP that this is not a Jumping Puzzle.

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

One of the real problems with getting up is that it’s buggy. I’ve lost count of the number of times when I’ve attempted to high-jump across the platforms and they literally disappeared from the screen after I jumped and I fell to my death (to add insult to injury, it’s a long enough fall that falling damage reduction traits don’t help). And the lightning leap skill sometimes just inexplicably over- or under-shoots, often resulting in falling and death. This is bad enough when you’ve made it once and can waypoint up, but when you haven’t got that top waypoint yet… ouuuuch.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Getting the crystals can be puzzles in which you jump, but not necessarily Guild Wars 2 official Jumping Puzzles.

I think that’s really what we’re arguing about here.

Getting from ground to top is in no way a Jumping Puzzle or a regular puzzle, it’s more of an obstacle course. I see the glowing bits even though I’ve never done the DE, plus it’s obvious to any half-intelligent person where you need to go to get to the upper WP.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

Considering you can get to the top without jumping even once (Including pressing space bar or using assisted leap) I don’t see how people can call this a jumping anything.

The lessons from the sky achievement requires a bit of jumping and puzzle solving, but just getting to the top? There is 1 path with only one split ever. Just walk forward and use the skills the NPCs give you.

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

Really guys? This is called semantics.

The sky crystals are not a Jumping Puzzle, but they are a jumping puzzle.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Really guys? This is called semantics.

The sky crystals are not a Jumping Puzzle, but they are a jumping puzzle.

Semantics are important for communication. If you are saying that you do not like the new jumping puzzle, it could be confusing. One could assume that you are talking about the bazaar, while someone else could assume you are talking about Aetherblades JP (as that is the most recently added JP), and even someone else could think you are talking about the kites at the end of the JPs.

Using proper language will help others understand your meaning more clearly. Using incorrect language is not useful and will only confuse the issues.

An example: This dungeon is really hard! It says recommended level is 36 and I am 36, why can’t I beat it?

Well first, that isn’t a dungeon – it’s a personal story step. You can tell, because there are no dungeons that have a recommended level of 36, whereas there are personal story steps at that level. The statement is incorrect and confusing. There is no point in using incorrect terminology, so why not use correct terminology?

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Puzzle is a toy, problem, or other contrivance designed to amuse by presenting difficulties to be solved by ingenuity or patient effort.

to jump – to spring off the ground or other base by a muscular effort of the legs and feet.
What are you talking about and complaining is NONSENSE. In all meanings!
This game have VERTICAL and HORIZONTAL movement system. If you need to jump over the pit to proceed further – it’s okay. It’s not a puzzle. It’s just a simple jump.
You should press “1” and then forward. Or “3” 3 times in a row. Or “2” if you see waterfall.
Stop confusing everyone and yourself, please.

When they included environmental problems to over come it became a puzzle. I suggest reading definitions