Extreme Precursor Inflation

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The “gem barrier” gets more expensive as long as more people convert gold to gems than the other way around. The fact that it is getting more expensive means that players continue to see converting gold to gems as a good choice. If the price of gems goes down it means less people are converting gold to gems than are converting gems to gold.

Which is not a bad thing for ANet unless the active player population also goes into a steep decline.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

There’s nothing to spend gold on other than luxuries.

People are therefore hoarding gold. It’s value therefore goes down and prices of said luxuries increase.

Actually… if everyone is hoarding Gold and not spending, that would mean prices of goods would fall in order to entice spending. When the US had our recession in the past few years, a lot of people started saving money, thus having a negative impact on the overall economic recovery. There were a lot of deals popping up all over in retail to get people to start spending.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

The “gem barrier” gets more expensive as long as more people convert gold to gems than the other way around. The fact that it is getting more expensive means that players continue to see converting gold to gems as a good choice. If the price of gems goes down it means less people are converting gold to gems than are converting gems to gold.

Which is not a bad thing for ANet unless the active player population also goes into a steep decline.

I’m not saying it’s good or bad, just correcting the previous poster’s misconception. He claimed that the price of gems (in gold) going up meant that less people were converting gold to gems. It’s actually an indication of the opposite, the price goes up as more gold is converted.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

Legendaries are not endgame. Exotic with a progessive upgrade to Ascended is endgame. Obtaining Fractal PR 50 is endgame. Legendaries? That’s the “I’m so kittening bored now that I have everything I have to waste my money on SOMETHING” content.

You really need to stop seeing everything outside of what you do as wrong…

Did I say getting a Legendary was wrong? Did I say wanting to get a Legendary was wrong? Did I say anything was wrong? No, I havent. Another way to put what I said is that Ascended gear, being top Tier equipment, is an endgame goalpost. Legendary weapons, being as involved as they are, are beyond being an endgame goalpost.

Take Twilight for example:
~500 Globs of Ectoplasm: 194g
250 Powerful Venom Sacs: 99g
250 Powerful Blood: 125g
250 elaborate totem: 98g
250 crystalline dust: 50g
250 vicious fangs: 102g
250 vicious claws: 115g
250 armored scales: 125g
250 ancient bones: 105g

And that’s just for the Gift of Fortune, at roughly 1k gold. For a full set of Ascended gear, You can spend as little as 1/2 or 1/4th of that amount if you buy most of the materials.

You are wrong about the legendary not being end-game.

You also earlier called out someone based entirely on what you alone do.

It seems that if it you do not personally feel or experience something, it must be wrong…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I think legendary are more than just a skin having switchable stats. And there is a chance there is going to be new tier after ascended and it is probably not going to be cheap.

But I think everyone play the game differently, some may felt legendary is endgame, so probably don’t. not everyone play the game the same way.

in Black Lion Trading Co

laokoko.7403

I’m not saying it’s good or bad, just correcting the previous poster’s misconception. He claimed that the price of gems (in gold) going up meant that less people were converting gold to gems. It’s actually an indication of the opposite, the price goes up as more gold is converted.

there’s probably no sure way of knowing it. I think for the last fiscal year, Anet’s sales went up. But it is hard to say now, since with China joining in, it is hard to know if the GW2 population went up or down.

I think in the long run, the hardcore cashshop spender might go down, unless Anet’s is really pushing the cashshop.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It’s tough to say because the game transitioned from box sales being the primary source of income to gem sales. Next week (I’m guessing) will reveal 1Q14 numbers which shouldn’t really have much if any China numbers folded in. All I can be sure of is the number will be lower than 1Q13 considering the sales strength of 4Q13, being a holiday quarter.

GW2 Sales as reported by NCSOFT

3Q12 – 45,841 million KrW (roughly one month plus pre-orders)
4Q12 – 119,013
1Q13 – 36,382
2Q13 – 28,889
3Q13 – 24,481
4Q13 – 33,555

Edit: Best 12 month period for Guild Wars was 57,790 million KrW or roughly $62 million from 2Q2006 to 1Q2007.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

It’s tough to say because the game transitioned from box sales being the primary source of income to gem sales. Next week (I’m guessing) will reveal 1Q14 numbers which shouldn’t really have much if any China numbers folded in. All I can be sure of is the number will be lower than 1Q13 considering the sales strength of 4Q13, being a holiday quarter.

GW2 Sales as reported by NCSOFT

3Q12 – 45,841 million KrW (roughly one month plus pre-orders)
4Q12 – 119,013
1Q13 – 36,382
2Q13 – 28,889
3Q13 – 24,481
4Q13 – 33,555

just to give some perspective
the amount in US dollars according to current conversion rates:
3Q12=44.76million
4Q12=116.20 million
1Q13=35.52 million
2Q13=28.21million
3Q13=23.9million
4Q13=32.76million

160 million in 2012
120 million in 2013

in Black Lion Trading Co

tolunart.2095

So? Over 3 million box sales in 2012, at full price or more for collectors edition. That’s at least $60 per account. After the rush to buy the game dies down, the next year is mostly gem store sales.

It’s well known that most players aren’t going to spend money on the game beyond the initial box sale, so $100+ million annual in gem store sales is a big deal.

(edited by tolunart.2095)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

So? Over 3 million box sales in 2012, at full price or more for collectors edition. That’s at least $60 per account. After the rush to buy the game dies down, the next year is mostly gem store sales.

It’s well known that most players aren’t going to spend money on the game beyond the initial box sale, so $100+ million annual in gem store sales is a big deal.

Are digital downloads included in box sales?

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

tolunart.2095

Are digital downloads included in box sales?

Yes, I use “box sales” as a generic term, “account sales” would be more accurate.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: getzzzonked.7609

getzzzonked.7609

So much rage right now ANet. I’ve been playing this game casually since freaking release. I have a life, I can’t spend hours and hours a day playing. I can’t put real money into gem store exchanges for gold. I can’t spend my time flipping the trading post. I get home from work and all I want to do is spend a little time gaming, doing my daily, earning some silver, collecting mats.
That said, as soon as I saw The Bifrost, I knew I needed it. I’ve been saving mats, karma, the lot. I now have all the gifts, ready and waiting for the day I get my Precursor.

I’ve been saving now for about 6 months, little by little, selling all the mats I find, exchanging my laurels for things to sell. I’ve sold my mini pets, everything. And a month and a half ago I hit 500 gold. I was so close to being able to buy the precursor out right on the Trading Post and make my beautiful Bifrost. An hour of gaming a night for 21 months. I come back from an Easter Holiday with my family, and guess what.

I’m now 900 gold away from affording a precursor. What was a mere 200 gold gap is now nine-kittening-hundred. Genuinely, sort your kitten out. I’m no kittening economist, but this kitten has to stop. Some how, some way. The community seem to have a lot of input, maybe listen to them.

Don’t worry yourself, you won’t lose a player. I bought this game and I’m going to continue to play most nights for about an hour for the forseeable future. But any hope you had of me buying gems from you is long gone. I won’t support a system that kittens all over the casual player while preaching about horizontal progression.

/rage over

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
[EXE] Piken Square EU

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

So gold-to-gems should mitigate the gold inflation we are seeing somewhat. I wonder to what degree this is the case.

as soon as I saw The Bifrost, I knew I needed it.

This is your problem. Get used to disappointment.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

(edited by Svarty.8019)

in Black Lion Trading Co

phys.7689

you are entirely too combative, i said nothing but translated the amounts into US dollars since many people dont have an idea how korean money translates.
Its just an informational post, i am not your adversary.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

So people are now complaining to anet why they cant afford a luxury item.

Why not complain to your government why you can’t afford to buy a helicopter?

in Black Lion Trading Co

tolunart.2095

I’m now 900 gold away from affording a precursor. What was a mere 200 gold gap is now nine-kittening-hundred. Genuinely, sort your kitten out. I’m no kittening economist, but this kitten has to stop. Some how, some way. The community seem to have a lot of input, maybe listen to them.

Supply and demand in action – the addition of the wardrobe system increases demand for cool-looking items, and the supply stays the same. Thus, price goes up. When the impatient players have bought their precursors they’ll drop out of competition for them, and the demand will decrease while supply stays the same. Thus, price goes down.

You just need to be patient and wait for the market to adjust, in the meantime keep saving gold and you’ll meet the market price as it comes down. This is a temporary situation, and Anet cannot move fast enough to “fix” precursor supply before the demand goes down, thus crashing prices because there are too many dropping.

(edited by tolunart.2095)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

When it comes to “Entitlement”, anything can turn into a legitimate complaint.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I did that ages ago. They didn’t reply.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Except when you buy a game there is some legitimate entitlement to actually experience the entire game. MMOs break that mold a bit, but it’s not entirely unexpected.

Real cash has traded hands, and although the EULA gives no guarantees of any sort, it should not be surprising that Customers perceive a diminished sense of fairness when aspects of the game are out of reach.

Using lame RL “entitlement” arguments just shows your lack of understanding of the situation. But if it makes you happy tossing out catchy slogans and sharp comments, knock yourself out — don’t expect a pat on the back tho.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

Except when you buy a game there is some legitimate entitlement to actually experience the entire game. MMOs break that mold a bit, but it’s not entirely unexpected.

Real cash has traded hands, and although the EULA gives no guarantees of any sort, it should not be surprising that Customers perceive a diminished sense of fairness when aspects of the game are out of reach.

Using lame RL “entitlement” arguments just shows your lack of understanding of the situation. But if it makes you happy tossing out catchy slogans and sharp comments, knock yourself out — don’t expect a pat on the back tho.

Real cash transactions after the initial purchase of the game are not required. One can enjoy this game without ever having to spend a cent beyond that. I choose to support Anet by spending money beyond the box. Where is the sense of “fairness” to players like me who spend lots of money on microtransactions, and players who want everything for free or easy don’t spend anything?

That is where the “Entitlement” comes in. I fully understand the situation. Perhaps the lack of understanding comes from your end?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

I’m pretty clear on it — but you still used the term “free” so I think you are not so clear. Nothing in GW2 comes “for free” as everyone playing as spent at least the box price.

I’m not stating that everyone deserves or is entitled to a precursor. What I’m stating is the entitlement is not unexpected as Players are also Customers and they purchased a game which contains such items.

If you bought something from the cash shop, then you received what you bought. You should not feel entitled for anything beyond that as it was a pretty clear sale. The original box however should grant you access to everything in game that is not a cash-shop item — and it does!

So in short, don’t belittle your fellow players with some lame “entitlement” rant which is a stretch at best. I’m sure you can find another way to mock people who disagree with you… I’ve read your other forum posts.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

If you’re read my posts, you’ll also know that I say that “Entitlement” isn’t inherently a bad thing. It’s human nature. Having a sense of Entitlement, and using it as an excuse to make change are two different beasts.

You can’t cherry pick my previous posts out of context to support a failed idea. If you’d like to have a good debate, be sure your arguments have solid merit.

in Black Lion Trading Co

phys.7689

Real cash transactions after the initial purchase of the game are not required. One can enjoy this game without ever having to spend a cent beyond that. I choose to support Anet by spending money beyond the box. Where is the sense of “fairness” to players like me who spend lots of money on microtransactions, and players who want everything for free or easy don’t spend anything?

That is where the “Entitlement” comes in. I fully understand the situation. Perhaps the lack of understanding comes from your end?

dont get how you are connecting money spent in the gem store to any of these issues, their are plenty of people who spent money in the gem store and have no precursors, and plenty of people who may be upset with large inflation.

not to mention as people said, everyone here bought the game, every one feels entitled to get some enjoyment. I mean you could say people who go to six flags and complain about crappy food, or long lines are entitled, but they payed for it, i think they have a right to complain. One could say they earned it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

dont get how you are connecting money spent in the gem store to any of these issues, their are plenty of people who spent money in the gem store and have no precursors, and plenty of people who may be upset with large inflation.

not to mention as people said, everyone here bought the game, every one feels entitled to get some enjoyment. I mean you could say people who go to six flags and complain about crappy food, or long lines are entitled, but they payed for it, i think they have a right to complain. One could say they earned it.

That post was purely in response to the quoted player.

I do agree that everyone is entitled to some enjoyment, and that everyone is entitled to complaining as well. I can understand if someone complains if their personal preferences aren’t met. To that end, I’ll argue against making game wide changes due to same personal preferences that the complainers pass as fictitious game wide problems.

in Black Lion Trading Co

laokoko.7403

To that end, I’ll argue against making game wide changes due to same personal preferences that the complainers pass as fictitious game wide problems.

I suppose, unless they get into as much complaint as diablo 3 or final fantasy 14, there probably wont’ be any game wide changes.

in Black Lion Trading Co

phys.7689

That post was purely in response to the quoted player.

I do agree that everyone is entitled to some enjoyment, and that everyone is entitled to complaining as well. I can understand if someone complains if their personal preferences aren’t met. To that end, I’ll argue against making game wide changes due to same personal preferences that the complainers pass as fictitious game wide problems.

well its up to the business men, and the customers to decide what are big problems. People giving their opinions are not necessarily wrong, and not necessarily right. But that doesnt mean you should ignore/dismiss them. The best bet is to probably investigate, or think on what type of improvements you as a business can make while still keeping the integrity, function, aethetic, economics, and structure of your product strong, or improving it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

Using lame RL “entitlement” arguments just shows your lack of understanding of the situation….I’m not stating that everyone deserves or is entitled to a precursor. What I’m stating is the entitlement is not unexpected as Players are also Customers and they purchased a game which contains such items.

I understand the situation very well and how it developed, but understanding it does not mean I have to be nice about it nor do I have to be empathetic. It was a jab at the situation which is not uncommon, and the analogy fits since GW2 has a capitalist-like economy by design. Some people don’t like it – oh well.

I will act empathetic if it is to my benefit, otherwise I do with it as I please.

(edited by Bread.7516)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

You can experience the entire game. You don’t need specialized gear to do it either.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Axialbloom.8109

You need to learn what entitlement actually means. Also comparing a game to the real world is absolutely ridiculous.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Axialbloom.8109

Using lame RL “entitlement” arguments just shows your lack of understanding of the situation….I’m not stating that everyone deserves or is entitled to a precursor. What I’m stating is the entitlement is not unexpected as Players are also Customers and they purchased a game which contains such items.

I understand the situation very well and how it developed, but understanding it does not mean I have to be nice about it nor do I have to be empathetic. It was a jab at the situation which is not uncommon, and the analogy fits since GW2 has a capitalist-like economy by design. Some people don’t like it – oh well.

I will act empathetic if it is to my benefit, otherwise I do with it as I please.

If you only ‘act empathetic’ when it is to your benefit, then you are never empathetic.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

This thread looks like it has derailed a lot, but the reason why precursors are so expensive is because a few people are manipulating the market.

It’s no secret that many people have thousands and thousands over thousands of gold.

They see a precursor on the TP? Buy right away and hoard. They’re controlling the supply and set the price they want.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

John Smith and his believers will oppose this, but either there’s almost zero “The Legend” Precursor supply a day (topping at 5 maximum) or someone is seriously controlling the market. The amount of people putting a buy listing over 800g has NOT changed. That means demand is SAME. The same amount of people want Bifrost (and are close to getting it). But the buy orders don’t get filled. People get disparate, and relist buy offer higher then competition and keep going on and on, until it gets fullfilled, but it doesn’t, and that’s the problem.

Zap? dropped 100’s of gold last days. Dawn? Check (dropped in price). The Legend? nope. This just means someone is controlling the market. 1) RNG is messed up leaving only 3-5 drops a day (even less then prepatch where 10-20 was not an exception, but more a rule). Dev on purpose is reducing drop rate, to accomodate ‘1 per account’ habbit (like with dye nerf), but then again almost nobody made more then one, (especially 2h) so this argument is moot, and the proof is there with the destruction of the market atm. 3) price manipulation.

Everyone (like Wanze & co) keeps telling over and over: It’s just a rise in demand. If the rise in demand really is the cause, then we would have seen a 100-200g, spike prepatch and a 200-400g spike after patch. Guess what!? After patch 2-3 weeks all prices remained INCREDIBLE stable with only minimal increase. Then last week, 1000g on several suddenly gets easely broken, and then one by one their supply get totally emptied. And that is not normal. ‘what why is empty stock not normal when demand is high’? Because it just doenst happen. Empty means at least on person is gonna spam mystic for (or get lucky) and set price so high people are scared to buy it with means another ‘locked’ item on tp. With locked i mean, there is one for sale without a doubt, but it won’t sell due to, to high price tag, and thus the TP demand/supply/speculators combination will make sure there is supply again in tp (weither for reasonable price or not). Like if Bifrost truly is such high demand item, all the 5 stocked ones should be sold by now, and they aren’t. 2-3 of them actually have been 4+ days in TP (after the ‘0 supply manipulation moment). So demand isn’t high enough to steal the ‘high priced ones’ away. And the buy order are only rising in price, NOT IN QUANTITY. (i only take the 800g+ ones seriously cause everyone below that knows he won’t get a success (not now at least). The ones actually now wanting want bid over 800g. And that amount of people has not changed. And don’t give me arguments like ‘but you can’t be there every moment, but you can’t know that for sure’. I’m plenty sure. I’m all but set for legendary except precursor. It’s only logic that i will put a lot of research in the evolution of the last item I need. I check it daily over 60 times in TP (12hour timeframe), and i pressed F5 non stop in Spidy (wich is remarkable accurate, if one get sold, and I refresh it almost always immediately shows without delay in spidy). Meaning the 12 buy orders above 800g (not changing in quantity) is complete proof the demand hasn’t spike (not more since the patch). But SUPPLY has dropped significant. And that’s our prob. Either the mystic forge nerf alone is so big (people got so scared to MF) that that impact alone, is what causes this, or they nerfed precursors drops globally (drop kills/chests) everywhere. Not sure what to think.

Kudzu is a very popular Legendary that i see about as much as bifrost if not more. Yet price is still very peacefull at 540/650g. A lousy 100g more then patch. Even 5 profession compatible legendary precursor Zap (bolt) – better then The Legend in this btw – has dropped below the legend, restocked supply, restored buy orders, etc, etc etc. The Market is normalizing (as it should), Zap market. Why is not the same happening to Bifrost? only explanation for me is to low supply. If 80 really exchanged per day (looking at you Wanze), then the price would have dropped 100-250g by now. Or there’s like 200-300 people owning the legend, and either just keeping it, speculating for later, or deciding to make bifrost after all (not as planned), keeping the supplies empty, where there otherwise wouldnt have been a gap. It’s weekend now, more ppl play, more ppl farm, even RNG can’t avoid that ‘more ppl famring means more precursor drops’ (at least past weekends have proven to have higher precursor exchange rates). So let’s see if logic will normalize the market, or that one of the problems will keep on troubling the precursor market.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

in Black Lion Trading Co

tolunart.2095

It’s the Illuminati, they want to give every member a Bifrost so they buy up all the Legends for themselves. The recent change to dyes was their work too, they wanted to collect a few thousand unid’d dyes to use, cheap.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Given any sort of a choice between

The game’s first legendary being crafted after only 43 days despite what should have been a ~225 day time gate in the mystic coins (those should have been account locked like laurels since day 0)

and

Precursors costing in excess of 1,000 gold

I’ll actually take the situation we have now. The game’s premier show-off item class is still ludicrously EASY to produce and almost comically based on coin-earned rather than any sort of actual performance.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

Phoebe:

The Legend is just the most popular precursor atm. I disagree with you that Kudzu is as popular. Beside the 4 popular professions (and builds) that use bifrost compared to the 2 that can use kuzdu, Crafting Bifrost got alot cheaper due to the changes to the gift of color recipe and UIDs tanking in price, you save 75g compared to before patch.

Then you have to consider where the supply of new Legends comes from:

First of all, form random lootdrops. I dont think that supply faucet cant be opened by farmers and has been very consistent compared to the active player base.

Then there is forging. That faucet can be opened to a certain extent and has been. You can see that by the price rise of fine t5 mats (up to 100%) and rare inscriptions (50%, due to some of them being sold under value by people that lvled their crafting).
Also, staves are the most expensive lvl 80 rare weapon to craft, right now it costs 3.5s more to craft a rare staff compared to a greatsword, for example.
Crafting exotics is not feasable but buying them on buy order to forge them. But those average prices also went up nearly 50% since patch. You also have to keep in mind that more exotic weapons are being salvaged atm, be it for skins or sigils, it doesnt matter. The price tank for salvaged exotic inscriptions since patch is a good indicator for that.

So forging precursors has gotten alot more expensive on average as well, due to its main ingredients (rare/exotic weapons from crafting and loot drops). As long as their supply doesnt increase (and their price goes down again), at least the popular pre cursors will keep rising in price. Unpopular precursors will drop faster, or didnt spike as much in the first place due to their relatively high droprate compared to demand from random loot drops and unspecific forging with 4 random weapon or 3 weapons and a mystic stone.

Usually, if people see market shifts that they cant explain, they think its people manipulating the market. But in order to efficiently calculate supply and demand of one item, its extremely important to also check supply faucets of the item in question as well as the items involved in crafting/forging it.

(edited by Wanze.8410)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

I’m sure lots of people had 1000g at patch. And if among them a big group changed their mind on Legendary (getting Bifrost now because more advantages then before), it means, right after patch the problems should have started. And they havent. It’s been superior stable for 2,5 weeks after patch. 2,5 weeks is an INCREDIBLE long time (trade post wise). Panic, demand, speculators, you name it, are much faster then 2,5 weeks. Yet it took this long to spike. Also curiously all the popular precursors (Zap, spark, dawn, dusk, the legend) within 4 days (coincidance? I think not), had their supply emptied, while their supply had never been empty between patch and 2,5 weeks after). Then all the legendaries spiked 1400-1700g, depending on how high people dared to price the items, then they slowly went lower again.

If demand is the explanation for the empty precursor moments, then the emptyness should happen right now again on several precursors, cause demand doesn’t stop now. It’s still high. Yet you look. Noone of them empty. Dawn went from a 0 supply to 19+.

But you have some points that may explain why Bifrost is in a bad position now (combination of ‘advantages’ due to patch, making ppl want bifrost faster then normal). There still are inconsistancies that cannot be explained by this though.

By my math, if 30 The Legends are sold to buy listings (not sell listings), and this doenst take ages, then the market has no choice but to recover to 1000g/sub 1000g again. And I hope this happens. But with the ‘empty market’-mysterie, (that can happen again) i’m not holding my breath.

Basically from past research: Precursor prices EVOLVE, they don’t change drastically in short time except if their is a good reason (supply increase, karka queen), or demand spike (feature patch). While the demand has risen, my research indicates that demand maybe doubled or tripled, definetely not 10-fold demand. This means that panic, low patience, a little manipulation (empty market-mystery?), etc might have risen the price faster then normal. And since precursor supply will always remain slow (but steady), it will need days/week to recover. The only way the market will not recover is, if another 30-100 ‘Legendary wanters’ (of one specific weapon), pop up right when the supply of the current demand is met. Let’s see how it unfolds.

Anyhow imo Bolt is much more wanted then Bifrost atm. Especially with 5 profession compatible feature. Yet Zap magically spike over the Legend (empty market happened earlier on zap then legend), stayed higher then The Legend even after the empty market situation for The Legend, and now peacefully lowered 150-300g in price. If that is an indication of demand being fullfilled then it can’t be long before other precursors follow.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

(edited by Phoebe Ascension.8437)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

This thread looks like it has derailed a lot, but the reason why precursors are so expensive is because a few people are manipulating the market.

It’s no secret that many people have thousands and thousands over thousands of gold.

They see a precursor on the TP? Buy right away and hoard. They’re controlling the supply and set the price they want.

Or people are selling to the Buy Orders and thus never show up on the trade post. I seriously doubt any legitimacy to the tinfoil hat theory of “someone” controlling the supply of precursors. The only people that would attempt to do so would be those who are completely dumb and/or have several tens of thousands gold sitting in their inventory waiting to be used on something.

in Black Lion Trading Co

phys.7689

Or people are selling to the Buy Orders and thus never show up on the trade post. I seriously doubt any legitimacy to the tinfoil hat theory of “someone” controlling the supply of precursors. The only people that would attempt to do so would be those who are completely dumb and/or have several tens of thousands gold sitting in their inventory waiting to be used on something.

the people who have several tens of thousands of gold, or the conglomerates who do, are they people who do these type of things. They dont have sole control, but in a small market they can have an effect. Especially if they feel the price point isnt representing the value.

Also the type of people who might try to effect the price, or push the price point, are basically doing it, to increase the buy orders most likely.

If buy taking a 400 gold loss, you can push the buy orders up by 100ish gold, and you have 10-20 precursors to sell, you would be increasing your profit selling to buy orders.

Now this is just conjecture, on possibilities, and when it might make business sense to try these type of manuevers, i have no idea if any one is trying. But there are definately people with the resources to do so.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

the people who have several tens of thousands of gold, or the conglomerates who do, are they people who do these type of things. They dont have sole control, but in a small market they can have an effect. Especially if they feel the price point isnt representing the value.

Also the type of people who might try to effect the price, or push the price point, are basically doing it, to increase the buy orders most likely.

If buy taking a 400 gold loss, you can push the buy orders up by 100ish gold, and you have 10-20 precursors to sell, you would be increasing your profit selling to buy orders.

Now this is just conjecture, on possibilities, and when it might make business sense to try these type of manuevers, i have no idea if any one is trying. But there are definately people with the resources to do so.

Precursors sell much more to buy orders than sell listings. Even if you have 100k gold, you might be able to keep the highest offer to yourself but after a couple of days, you will have 100 precursors, which you still need to sell. and you wont have any more gold to inflate buy orders. Anybody who is witty enough to earn 50-100k gold quite surely wont be throwing it all into precursors.

in Black Lion Trading Co

phys.7689

Precursors sell much more to buy orders than sell listings. Even if you have 100k gold, you might be able to keep the highest offer to yourself but after a couple of days, you will have 100 precursors, which you still need to sell. and you wont have any more gold to inflate buy orders. Anybody who is witty enough to earn 50-100k gold quite surely wont be throwing it all into precursors.

you should know it doesnt really matter if you have the buy orders to yourself, as long as they sell.
if 40-60 precursors are sold a day, and you have 20-30 to sell, it doesnt really matter if some other people get some of the buy orders, as long as you can get yours as well.

since april 14th dusk buy orders are up about 200 gold, The only people this type of thing would be worthwhile for, are people who can afford it, and have the resources to expend, IE essentially they are precursor marketers, they either manufacture precursors regularly, or have been buying them up at deal prices for awhile and feel the time is right to liquidate.

If you are selling a plurality of the cars that are sold each day, its in your best interest for car prices to go up, even if not everyone is buying your car. if you sell 5 cars a day, doesnt matter if 20 other guys sell them, as long as the overall price goes up, its profitable for you.

also, the sell order market is a lot less volatile, you dont have to buy a whole bunch, as you say, most are selling to buy orders. you can let the other dude undercut you for 1149 gold, because your real goal was to be able to sell 5 dusks for 200 gold more per day.

as i said, even if he loses 400-500 gold when he sells the high one cheaper later, he made 200 more gold per dusk and maybe sold 20 in a couple weeks, 4000 gold increase in profits with a 400-500 gold loss for marketing costs of making it seem more valuable.

(edited by phys.7689)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

you should know it doesnt really matter if you have the buy orders to yourself, as long as they sell.
if 40-60 precursors are sold a day, and you have 20-30 to sell, it doesnt really matter if some other people get some of the buy orders, as long as you can get yours as well.

since april 14th dusk buy orders are up about 200 gold, The only people this type of thing would be worthwhile for, are people who can afford it, and have the resources to expend, IE essentially they are precursor marketers, they either manufacture precursors regularly, or have been buying them up at deal prices for awhile and feel the time is right to liquidate.

If you are selling a plurality of the cars that are sold each day, its in your best interest for car prices to go up, even if not everyone is buying your car. if you sell 5 cars a day, doesnt matter if 20 other guys sell them, as long as the overall price goes up, its profitable for you.

also, the sell order market is a lot less volatile, you dont have to buy a whole bunch, as you say, most are selling to buy orders. you can let the other dude undercut you for 1149 gold, because your real goal was to be able to sell 5 dusks for 200 gold more per day.

as i said, even if he loses 400-500 gold when he sells the high one cheaper later, he made 200 more gold per dusk and maybe sold 20 in a couple weeks, 4000 gold increase in profits with a 400-500 gold loss for marketing costs of making it seem more valuable.

But then its mere speculation for profit, not manipulation.

in Black Lion Trading Co

phys.7689

But then its mere speculation for profit, not manipulation.

“manipulation” is a hot word that means 100 different things to 100 different people.
All i was pointing out is that for people with enough money/in the right market, it may be worthwhile, to try to buy out, and reprice precursors, with the intent of trying to push the price up so they could make a profit.

Whether one calls that “manipulation” or not isnt really the issue. Just saying i can see how in certain situations, buying up the supply and trying to reprice the market value would be a worthwhile endeavor. IE its not stupid as aidan savage claimed

in Black Lion Trading Co

Aidan Savage.2078

It’s just as, and more, stupid than I depict it. If you have that much money to throw around, there are far more profitable things to waste it on than some notion of controlling precursor prices. It’s as idiotic and stupid as the idea someone’s controlling the prices of legendaries, or iron ore.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

It’s just as, and more, stupid than I depict it. If you have that much money to throw around, there are far more profitable things to waste it on than some notion of controlling precursor prices. It’s as idiotic and stupid as the idea someone’s controlling the prices of legendaries, or iron ore.

^^

There are many other ways to make 400g with 200g initial investment within 3 weeks, so why spend your gold on precursors? It just makes no sense at all.

in Black Lion Trading Co

phys.7689

what about it is idiotic? As long as you make money, its worthwhile. if you give up 500 gold, and make 4000 gold, over the course of two weeks, thats 250 gold extra a day. You also have to realize that the theoretical player wouldnt just be doing this, they would be doing other things as well, since the market has limits on what you can do within a specific market, the way to make more money is to hit other markets.

I see that you think its foolish on general principle, but i see no actual reasoning or data that says why its foolish. Its actually pretty common business strategy to buy out your competition to control more of the market.

now, i could see someone saying they dont think it would be easy to pull off, or that if they do pull it off, it means that the precursor prices were undervalued, but that doesnt mean it doesnt make sense.

in Black Lion Trading Co

phys.7689

^^

There are many other ways to make 400g with 200g initial investment within 3 weeks, so why spend your gold on precursors? It just makes no sense at all.

because every market has a limit of what you can do with it. If you are already in those markets, and you want to make more money, you have to hit a new market.
Also if your chosen market is precursors, or you have a stockpile, then its what you do because you are already invested. If you find a new better hustle, then you would still have to try to liquidate your precursor stash at the best rates possible.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vonia.2860

Vonia.2860

Comparing an MMO to entitlement or real world problems is a bit far-fetched.

If a casual player is making 5-10 gold a day, which isn’t unrealistic for people who are busy, it takes a minimum of 125 days for a precursor (if you can even get Legend at 1250 gold now). It’s about 4 months or so. Considering that’s only the precursor, not the mats and other items.

Now considering you can make much more money flipping or running dungeons, it doesn’t seem to compare for the same time issues. The problem is a lack of equilibrium, especially for those logging on doing dailies or world bosses. Or what about people who just want to log on and do some PVP or WVW?
It makes the game much more about grind and much less about cooperation or personal goals, part of the spirit of the original Guild Wars.

So, I’m sitting with all my stuff for Bifrost, except I’m 1/2 the way on the current price of the precursor. When I get the 1250 gold it takes, I’m not sure I’m going to spend it on a precursor.
It’s likely I’ll get the amount, if I have to buy it I will. Then I’ll be so frustrated with the game, I’ll probably only login to do dailies, if that and go play something else. I’m not saying that’s what everyone would do, but it is a source of frustration for a significant amount of people and needs addressing.

Guild: Tequatl Twinkie Squad (TTS)
Main Characters: Lunset-Necromancer Main. Solset-Elementalist. Irideset-Mesmer.
Personal Site: http://lavonia.net

(edited by Vonia.2860)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

what about it is idiotic? As long as you make money, its worthwhile. if you give up 500 gold, and make 4000 gold, over the course of two weeks, thats 250 gold extra a day. You also have to realize that the theoretical player wouldnt just be doing this, they would be doing other things as well, since the market has limits on what you can do within a specific market, the way to make more money is to hit other markets.

I see that you think its foolish on general principle, but i see no actual reasoning or data that says why its foolish. Its actually pretty common business strategy to buy out your competition to control more of the market.

now, i could see someone saying they dont think it would be easy to pull off, or that if they do pull it off, it means that the precursor prices were undervalued, but that doesnt mean it doesnt make sense.

It was explained quite clearly what it was idiotic …. speculating on precursors has a higher risk/reward ratio than other items on the TP. See here …

^^

in Black Lion Trading Co

laokoko.7403

Precursor is honestly a terrible thing to invest when you take account of the 15% TP tax.

There is also the chance anet releasing precursor hunt, which will cause it to take a hit.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Aidan Savage.2078

Comparing an MMO to entitlement or real world problems is a bit far-fetched.

If a casual player is making 5-10 gold a day, which isn’t unrealistic for people who are busy, it takes a minimum of 125 days for a precursor (if you can even get Legend at 1250 gold now). It’s about 4 months or so. Considering that’s only the precursor, not the mats and other items.

Now considering you can make much more money flipping or running dungeons, it doesn’t seem to compare for the same time issues. The problem is a lack of equilibrium, especially for those logging on doing dailies or world bosses. Or what about people who just want to log on and do some PVP or WVW?
It makes the game much more about grind and much less about cooperation or personal goals, part of the spirit of the original Guild Wars.

So, I’m sitting with all my stuff for Bifrost, except I’m 1/2 the way on the current price of the precursor. When I get the 1250 gold it takes, I’m not sure I’m going to spend it on a precursor.
It’s likely I’ll get the amount, if I have to buy it I will. Then I’ll be so frustrated with the game, I’ll probably only login to do dailies, if that and go play something else. I’m not saying that’s what everyone would do, but it is a source of frustration for a significant amount of people and needs addressing.

Get Armorsmithing to 450, and you can start making 15g a day in minutes. The only catch is that it requires some smart investing or smart playing to achieve. At the very least you’ll be able to make an extra 10-15g here and there, if it’s not daily.

Making money can be quick if one learns the tricks. Sadly, I dont make money quickly because I’m tied up having fun as opposed to making money. Of course, I do at least make the effort to get that crucial first step completed so that money can flow to me whenever I want it.