How do I become a 1%

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

what are you thoughts on refined materials?
like, for 500 jeweler, to sell silver ingots instead of silver ore (when it spikes due to a patch). Some days I can do this at a profit normally, but the ingots do usually sell for more than the ore, so wouldn’t that extra 5% be good when you’re expecting the price to go up 100%? like 105% profit instead?
one thing I’ll bring up is that might change the number of mithril required to make a mithril ingot, for example. Was it thick leather they did that to? I remember I was hoarding some non-refined and a little refined when that happened.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

what are you thoughts on refined materials?
like, for 500 jeweler, to sell silver ingots instead of silver ore (when it spikes due to a patch). Some days I can do this at a profit normally, but the ingots do usually sell for more than the ore, so wouldn’t that extra 5% be good when you’re expecting the price to go up 100%? like 105% profit instead?
one thing I’ll bring up is that might change the number of mithril required to make a mithril ingot, for example. Was it thick leather they did that to? I remember I was hoarding some non-refined and a little refined when that happened.

If i speculate, i always buy refined mats for that reason and to save inventory space.
It might come into imbalance for t6 common mats because people refine them to lvl from 400-425 and then dump them back onto the tp, but for lower tier mats, i always buy refined.

The downside is that your buy orders dont fill as fast as unrefined mats.
Usually the crowd of people that sells its mats to the highest bidder, does so out of convenience and fast gold, so they wouldnt make the extra effort to refine and then sell. However, refined mats get bought out faster because those people just see that they need 10/20 ingots of some kind. As that is not much gold to pay, they are more prone to buy refined mats directly, and not unrefined, to save time. So when demand is high, refined mats sell more quickly.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

@Vol, 11k profit sounds nice. I was estimating about 10k on my part. It really depends on what silver and gold go to, as well as the decisions I’ve made speculating on chef.
@Wanze, I completely agree with your comments regarding orbs. I didn’t buy 50 stacks of each of them. Only had 10 stacks of each, have been selling some off when I can. Hope I’m not doing the wrong thing.
I have put far more into speculating on chef than I thought I would. Got pretty lucky when flawless flakes where selling around 3s and was able to dump 30 stacks for around 9s kept some, since they are used by chef and jewelry. Not really sure what will happen to them after patch, figured worse comes to worse hopefully I will be able to use them for leveling those 2 professions some.

I hope everyone has a happy and profitable turnout on the upcoming changes.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

The thing though with Orbs – how about their involvement with legendary trinkets? I think that was my original intent on my speculation.

It’s reasonable to expect a different recipe for legendary trinkets, and I just hope they follow the Triforge route and utilize 250 of each.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

danielrjones.8759

hmmm, 250 ea. following the Triforge route is something I had not considered. I only have roughly 5-6 stacks left of the higher ones. still 10 of the cheap ones.

imo logical speculation on your part if they go with legendary trinkets. Thanks for pointing that out.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.7601

hmmm, 250 ea. following the Triforge route is something I had not considered. I only have roughly 5-6 stacks left of the higher ones. still 10 of the cheap ones.

imo logical speculation on your part if they go with legendary trinkets. Thanks for pointing that out.

Not to mention we have just the right number of Orbs in game (8), so that makes 2 gifts similar to the ones we have for T6 mats.

I’ve been holding crystals/orbs for a considerably long time – more than a year. That is a very, very poor investment but since it’s only 600 gold I don’t mind it too bad (and that the timetable for jewelcrafting/legendary trinkets kept getting pushed back)

If there is any sudden demand for crystals/orbs, it will be very hard for the supply to catch-up after getting depleted. Most of the supply on the TP will be gobbled up by a small % of people on patch day.

After that, where can you immediately get crystals/orbs? Mining does not give a steady supply, and promoting eventually gets expensive (hence I’m also stucking up on incandescents)

I honestly don’t know where Orbs will end up, but if Anet wants to correct the market for items like these, and considering the rarity, it should end up at least 10s each.

[ARE YOU READING JOHN SMITH?!?!?]

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Otokomae.9356

Otokomae.9356

Actually, when it comes to orbs and crystals, both offer 1 key attribute that makes them good investments, IF you have a solid reason for expecting their price to rise. That is that they are both difficult and unpredictable to farm! This is one of the things that makes that market easy to move; the Ruby Orbs market has been messed with several times. However, at current Supply/Demand ratios, we’ve usually hit a wall at around 28 silver, which seems to be the largest spike the market will bare for Ruby Orbs, without some new patch that gives people a new reason to use them. The price of these orbs generally sits at around 20 silver. Something interesting about them, however, is that these “gaps” often appear between the price of ruby orbs and crystals + dusts used to make them; the prices of Ruby Orbs and the Crystals/Dusts used to craft them don’t appear to be tied to one another in any way, so if Ruby Orbs skyrocket suddenly in price (as they have a few times in the past), you can just sit your Jewelcrafter down at the crafting table, turning Crystals/Dusts into Orbs all day for a profit! Now, this would usually require the price of Piles of Incandescent Dust to go back to their historical average of around 1 silver or below, a price that has been inflated since the “LA Attack” patch first came out.

On the subject of “Refined Mats vs Ore”, there have been several times since release when the price of refined mats increased faster than the Ore used to make them. Just recently, when the LA Attack patch came out, and everybody wanted to get their Exotic/Ascended Backpiece done ASAP, the price of Mithril Ingots shot up faster than Mithril Ore, and you could (and I did) just sit at a crafting table, putting in enormous Bid Orders for Mithril Ore & turning it into Mithril Ingots for a steady 10%+ (I averaged 12~ish%) for the first 3 days of the Patch’s release. After 3 days the amount of profit started to trail off, but it seemed that no matter how much Ore I turned into Ingots, it was impossible for me to flood the market, or even to meet current demand! There are, of course, other times when the price of Ingots will drop below the price of Ore, and most frustratingly, you will ofte see the price of Ingots slightly above the price of Ore (just dipping into the Profit range), but the sales are so slow that it isn’t worth investing in, whereas Ore is ALWAYS selling.

Bakuon/Bakuon Thief [MAS]/ ex-[ATac]

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

danielrjones.8759

Same here with the crystals, felt the same as it being a poor investment. They are not currently selling well enough for me other than put them in a guild vault for now.

And certainly on same page regarding incandescents, had a feeling those would come into play later on. Specifically for the reason you mentioned. Felt it was a given. So have been stocking up on my share for some time now.
Been focusing so much on possibilities for chef lately doing research on every single ingredient what it can be crafted into, then recrafted as a lvl 400. I have let down some on speculating for jewelry. I started working my speculation for jewelry a month after they announced all crafting would be going to 500, hopefully I’m set for that one.
Chef has my concerned the most at this time.
At this time I don’t believe there is nothing chef can throw at me I’m not covered on very well except timegated stuff or something new they may add, but in doing so. I feel the possibility of bad investments have made their way into my vaults.

You all are certainly making me rethink the orbs/crystals. Thankful people like to post their comments on this.

I sincerely hope all the tp players do well, I like seeing everyone make a lot of money.

(edited by danielrjones.8759)

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

The silver market has been the market I’ve been dumping all my gold in for quite sometime after it went down to +- 40c after the January speculation.

It was guaranteed to go up to at least 1s as you said since last time it was largely driven up by speculators.

That way I’m guaranteed to at least triple my investment for 2000g to 6000g.

When it reaches that point, I’m very tempted to sell. But because we know 100% that it will be used for jewelcrafting (Search Xunlai on TP and you’ll see why) I wet myself over the idea that silver ore could reach 2s each.

So I’m curious, how are you going to decide to sell or not? Just look at the way it’s moving/waiting to see if it goes up more? And do you have the stuff all stored on alts, or is it on the TP at some predetermined price (although it sounds like the former)?

Honestly, this is the part I’m most curious about when it comes to speculating; how to decide when to get out and sell it all.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.7601

The silver market has been the market I’ve been dumping all my gold in for quite sometime after it went down to +- 40c after the January speculation.

It was guaranteed to go up to at least 1s as you said since last time it was largely driven up by speculators.

That way I’m guaranteed to at least triple my investment for 2000g to 6000g.

When it reaches that point, I’m very tempted to sell. But because we know 100% that it will be used for jewelcrafting (Search Xunlai on TP and you’ll see why) I wet myself over the idea that silver ore could reach 2s each.

So I’m curious, how are you going to decide to sell or not? Just look at the way it’s moving/waiting to see if it goes up more? And do you have the stuff all stored on alts, or is it on the TP at some predetermined price (although it sounds like the former)?

Honestly, this is the part I’m most curious about when it comes to speculating; how to decide when to get out and sell it all.

When people speculate on commodities (in bulk), they either relist them on the TP at a set price that they think it’ll go up to.

What I do is accumulate all my commodities on the TP pick up tab. I just put buy orders and never pick them up until I find a price suitable to sell at.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

Interesting. I actually rather like your strategy, since it means you won’t lose gold if you list too high. Is it safe to assume that you use an alt/extra account for it still, so your normal TP use isn’t interrupted?

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

50 250 stacks… well i need 25 more stacks :P

Let’s see how much profit you can make with just 50 stacks…

Ignoring TP fees and utilizing hypotheticals:

Price of mithril now = 30c
50 stacks of mithril = 37.5G

Hypothetical high of mithril = 60c
50 stacks of mithril = 75G
That’s only a profit of 37.5 G.

When you consider opportunity costs that is a very poor investment (and we don’t know if mithril will ever reach 60c again anytime soon)

You were better off investing in Scarlet’s Rifle earlier this week when it was 100G and now over 200G (and can reach to +400G by the end of this event)

The only way you can make a profit off of speculating commodities is to have a 2nd account and accumulate volume through TP storage.

I’m so sorry about your losses on scarlet’s rainbow

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lankybird.8149

Lankybird.8149

When you consider opportunity costs that is a very poor investment (and we don’t know if mithril will ever reach 60c again anytime soon)

You were better off investing in Scarlet’s Rifle earlier this week when it was 100G and now over 200G (and can reach to +400G by the end of this event)

The only way you can make a profit off of speculating commodities is to have a 2nd account and accumulate volume through TP storage.

And not to put sand in a wound but Mithril already up to 43c+

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Lankybird.8149

Is manipulating the TP against game rules? Meaning if I bought up all the copper ore on the market (This is an example relax not buying bulk copper right now) and then reintroduced it at a higher price is that considered “Cheating” or is that fair play? I am just curious.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

Is manipulating the TP against game rules? Meaning if I bought up all the copper ore on the market (This is an example relax not buying bulk copper right now) and then reintroduced it at a higher price is that considered “Cheating” or is that fair play? I am just curious.

Even though some people shout manipulation, if that happens, its perfectly fine.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.7601

Interesting. I actually rather like your strategy, since it means you won’t lose gold if you list too high. Is it safe to assume that you use an alt/extra account for it still, so your normal TP use isn’t interrupted?

I have one main account and 3 alt accounts. So those 3 alt accounts currently have 3 commodities in the pick-up tab (leather, silver ore & gold ore). Within those 3 accounts I have filled guild banks and alts with various items, ranging from dust to hardened leather to crystals to plat.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.7601

lol I didn’t lose anything on Scarlet’s Kiss. I bought it when you can b/o at 102G and it’s still selling for 200g.

I know of a player with 200 Scarlet Rifles (yes, he had that much gold) that has more to lose than me, but Scarlet Kiss isn’t going below 100g anytime soon I think.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Lankybird.8149

Even though some people shout manipulation, if that happens, its perfectly fine.

Okay good good, because I want to be rich, not banned haha.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Lankybird.8149

lol I didn’t lose anything on Scarlet’s Kiss. I bought it when you can b/o at 102G and it’s still selling for 200g.

I know of a player with 200 Scarlet Rifles (yes, he had that much gold) that has more to lose than me, but Scarlet Kiss isn’t going below 100g anytime soon I think.

100 of them?! that is how rich I want to be.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cakemeister.5792

Cakemeister.5792

You’ve got to put in the time and search for investment opportunities. Wanze, Vol, and all the other people in this forum who have made a lot of gold have spent many, many hours doing research and crunching numbers.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Black Dragon.3784

Black Dragon.3784

-buy out all of the exclusive things and wait a year when everyone gets hungry for them.
-flip precursors
- when anet releases new cool looking skins for 1 ticket, get as many as you can, wait some months sell back when it’s 5 tickets plus and some months have gone or so.
- always be on top of the exclusive table, for example scarlets kiss, molten jet pack etc
- don’t waste a penny
- put many hours in until you have made it
- keep asking and begging for free things
- gamble for a precursor with rares at least twice a day
- be able to predict
- find your own way to make money and keep it a secret
- craft things like infinite light (buy all mats cheap and sell for high)
- have patients
- know when to quit
- gotta be as greedy as greedy gets
- buy everything cheap, sell everything high.
-nothing more to say but, whats the fun in being the richest anyways? no one likes it when people brag, tried it many times

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.7601

200 – that’s a pretty big difference – at least 100,000g in fact!

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Lankybird.8149

Seems like once you have a lot of money it is really easy to make LOADS more, well I guess lose Loads more as well haha. But pretty hard to lose on buying rare skins and selling later.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Otokomae.9356

Seems like once you have a lot of money it is really easy to make LOADS more, well I guess lose Loads more as well haha. But pretty hard to lose on buying rare skins and selling later.

If you have LOADS of money, you can simply control an entire market and set the prices where you want them, provided the items you’re manipulating are not easily crafted, farmed, or gathered.

Using Silver Doubloons as an example again, if you had enough gold, you could simply buy ALL of them off the TP, and unless Anet changed how Silver Doubloons drop, it would take at least 6 months to a year to restock the TP. So, once you’ve bought ALL of the Silver Doubloons on the TP, you can simply relist them whatever price you want.

The current Sell price on these is under 1.50 gold, but let’s just say that when you bought up the supply you paid an average of 2 gold each. To change the price on these, you probably wouldn’t even need to drain all of them off the TP (about 3,500 listed atm, or 14 Juggernauts). If you bought for an average of 2 gold, and moved the price up to 20 gold, your total profit would be 15 gold each after TP fees. So let’s say, for example, that you only needed to buy 1,000 Silver Doubloons in order to move the price up to 20 gold each; at the prices listed above, you would only need to sell 134 Silver Doubloons, or about 1/2 a Legendary’s worth, to get ALL of your initial investment back! And unless something significant is changed about the Silver Doubloon market, people making Juggernaut would pretty much have to accept your new price. So you’re now looking at a potential 13,000 GOLD PROFIT, from an initial investment of only 2,000 GOLD~!!!

The scenario above is hypothetical, of course, as I haven’t checked exactly what the prices are on Silver Doubloons today or how many would need to be purchased in order to move the price, but this is EXACTLY what has been done with the Silver Doubloons market and many other markets in the past. This really is how you turn a lot of Gold into a MOUNTAIN of Gold. Now, someone do the math real quick on how many Dungeons you would have to run to make 13,000 Gold… (^_^)

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Lankybird.8149

Looks like JayZ had it wrong (mo money mo problems) it is Mo Money Mo Money

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

If you have LOADS of money, you can simply control an entire market and set the prices where you want them, provided the items you’re manipulating are not easily crafted, farmed, or gathered.

Using Silver Doubloons as an example again, if you had enough gold, you could simply buy ALL of them off the TP, and unless Anet changed how Silver Doubloons drop, it would take at least 6 months to a year to restock the TP. So, once you’ve bought ALL of the Silver Doubloons on the TP, you can simply relist them whatever price you want.

The current Sell price on these is under 1.50 gold, but let’s just say that when you bought up the supply you paid an average of 2 gold each. To change the price on these, you probably wouldn’t even need to drain all of them off the TP (about 3,500 listed atm, or 14 Juggernauts). If you bought for an average of 2 gold, and moved the price up to 20 gold, your total profit would be 15 gold each after TP fees. So let’s say, for example, that you only needed to buy 1,000 Silver Doubloons in order to move the price up to 20 gold each; at the prices listed above, you would only need to sell 134 Silver Doubloons, or about 1/2 a Legendary’s worth, to get ALL of your initial investment back! And unless something significant is changed about the Silver Doubloon market, people making Juggernaut would pretty much have to accept your new price. So you’re now looking at a potential 13,000 GOLD PROFIT, from an initial investment of only 2,000 GOLD~!!!

The scenario above is hypothetical, of course, as I haven’t checked exactly what the prices are on Silver Doubloons today or how many would need to be purchased in order to move the price, but this is EXACTLY what has been done with the Silver Doubloons market and many other markets in the past. This really is how you turn a lot of Gold into a MOUNTAIN of Gold. Now, someone do the math real quick on how many Dungeons you would have to run to make 13,000 Gold… (^_^)

you would lose all your gold with this

transmute t2 gems in mystic forge produce silver doubloons and dont allow 20g per doubloon^^

(edited by Romek.4201)

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

Thats 100,000g difference if you value Scarlets Kiss at 1000g, not 100-200g.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

transmute t2 gems in mystic forge produce silver doubloons and dont allow 20g per doubloon^^

Even t1-3 gemstones couldnt keep up with the demand of silver doubloons and would rise in price.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Otokomae.9356

Scroll Up

Please don’t read only the very last post in a Thread like this & then comment on it. If you read the whole thread, you’ll see that THIS EXACT THING has been done at least 5 times with Silver Doubloons since release, starting at under 2 silver each, with the highest set price that I’ve been involved in being 2.15 gold each. We have NEVER lost money on this. Ever. In fact, even at current prices, it would probably still be cheaper (and save tons of time, sanity, & frustration) to simply buy Silver Doubloons off the TP, rather than crunching low-level gems into the forge and hoping that the RNG gods smile upon you that day.

We’ve actually never hit a price that the GW2 market refused to bare, but with the price of precursors and other Legendary mats going up right alongside the price of Doubloons (albeit not as quickly), most people who’ve been involved in these moves in the past agree that 2-3 gold is probably the right price point for now. IF there is a new flood of precursors from somewhere suddenly, or if the price of precursors and/or other mats involved in making the Juggernaut come down in price, OR if a new Legendary or similar item comes out that requires a large number of Silver Doubloons, then most of the people who’ve been pushing these prices upwards are agreed that Gold would become a more natural price point, with most people already aiming at 10-20 gold each.

But if you have special recipe or talent for pulling TONS of Silver Doubloons out of the Mystic Forge quickly, cheaply, and easily, then please, feel free to flood the market with them and get rich while you’re doing it.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.7601

I kitten ed. There goes my reputation

/deletesaccount

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Psychol.5783

Psychol.5783

If you can’t play on TP but struggle with gold then don’t do it, you don’t need unnecessary stress. I decided to play on TP because in every game I was always hoarding as much gold as I could and not progressing, now instead of hoarding I’m buying random crap and often losing but I don’t care. If you wan’t to know what to NOT buy then ask me, my biggest mistake is so far buying 6 months ago 200 gold worth of mithrill (~25c per 1 back then) and listing it for 79c and it’s still sitting now I bought 50 of each cores and probably it will be worth kitten. The wisest decision was buying miniatures from set II when they were for free, they probably be worth 3x soon. Dunno about quaggan tonics, they aren’t soullbound but they won’t be obtainable after the event.
Things that aren’t change are event items like gift boxes, they plummet in the middle of the event, spike at the end and plummet again then slowly rise ’til next LS.

(edited by Psychol.5783)

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

/deletesaccount

I heard Evon spreading rumors in the Vigil keep (and JS confirming it on an alt on reddit) that you got an account to spare….

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Lankybird.8149

/deletesaccount

I heard Evon spreading rumors in the Vigil keep (and JS confirming it on an alt on reddit) that you got an account to spare….

Ahh it burns so good. All in on 9c meats, lets go food crafting boost!

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

/deletesaccount

Ahh it burns so good. All in on 9c meats, lets go food crafting boost!

With the WvW Spring Tournament coming up that brings tens of thousands pve players into wvw to slap some yaks, i wouldnt expect red meat to spike anytime soon.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

danielrjones.8759

Vol, I seen the miscalculation and assume that’s all it was. nothing more. Your reputation still stands lol.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

With 10g, you better just do a few dungeon then boom, 50% more wealth.

Get to near 100g and start investing some of your money to TP. You don’t want to gamble with all of your wealth. It also allows you to play across more markets. Some markets are easy stable and consistence. Some are affected by speculations/other factors. Don’t blow all your money into a single market because if it tanks, you have nothing left. Find a few stable market to flip and put your extra $ into speculation.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Lankybird.8149

It is so much fun though, it is like penny stocks, I feel the excitement and the thrill of potential returns, especially since I said something about the mithril market and it rose made so much money (maybe bailed to early but still.) I love going all in on stuff, especially when its rock bottom prices.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Lankybird.8149

Okay so in the interest of actually trying to apply the information you guys have given me. IF I had money (i dont gonna do fractols till i am 150g then start TP). This is my attempt at an investment.

If I had 10 gold or 100,000 copper, and bought beets at 4c each currently I would buy 100 stacks of 250. Beets have trended up to 30ish over twice, and with new cooking patch up and coming it is not crazy to think it will spike again, however even at ‘normal’ or ‘average’ price they are around 15-25c. So at the minimum I could sell at 15 copper and triple my money, or lets say i sell at 16c to help with trading fees. So that would turn 10g to 30g, for about 10 mins of work. (buying the mats storing then reselling plus checking TP every now and then when I sell stuff to look at price). Now I am not going to do this which is why i am revealing it. I want feed back if this would actually be a good investment or not if I WAS investing other than obvious bank space taken up.

http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/12161 (Where I got Beet info)

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

danielrjones.8759

@Lankybird, you need to be careful when relisting, for example when I buy 40 stacks of something I don’t relist them all at once. I guess some people do and it works for them. For example I bought well over 40 stacks of flawless flakes back in December. I didn’t relist them all once they hit 9s I would sell a stack or 2 at a time and watch how the market is reacting to that item over the next few days. Checking spidy a lot. I noticed you said for just a few min work. It never seems like its just a few min work to me lol.

I know many people talk about making massive amounts of gold every day. I would suspect some may. I don’t believe as many do as claim to do so. When someone says they make 200-300g a day everyday I’m suspicious. For me a very realistic amount made daily is 50g, good days 75g and depending on how much time you spend 100g on weekends. Then of course you can make considerable amounts correctly speculating for patch days.

Of course my opinion is only based off my experience. I would be a fool to think there are not people out there who are vastly superior at playing the market.

Your idea is correct, but there are variable you have to watch. As some as mentioned, understanding why the market is moving in certain areas will greatly improve your profit margin. Not understanding is really shooting in the dark.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

I don’t know any leaked pic about the ascended food so I don’t know what specific food would rise nor if beet is among those. So to me it looks like it’s just a random veggie. You can still buy some because it’s cheap and it really can’t drop much more. Provided you have the bag space ofc.

However, it’s not worth the effort/space imo because you are looking at 20g profit in the time of a few months if it ever rise. You can have the same profit overnight with other market.

TL;DR: If you have the space and extra cash, why not? Otherwise, don’t bother.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Lankybird.8149

Right I am not actually doing this just curious if I am heading in right direction. This is def low end trading course. More money you have more stuff to buy.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Otokomae.9356

Okay so in the interest of actually trying to apply the information you guys have given me. IF I had money (i dont gonna do fractols till i am 150g then start TP). This is my attempt at an investment.

If I had 10 gold or 100,000 copper, and bought beets at 4c each currently I would buy 100 stacks of 250. Beets have trended up to 30ish over twice, and with new cooking patch up and coming it is not crazy to think it will spike again, however even at ‘normal’ or ‘average’ price they are around 15-25c. So at the minimum I could sell at 15 copper and triple my money, or lets say i sell at 16c to help with trading fees. So that would turn 10g to 30g, for about 10 mins of work. (buying the mats storing then reselling plus checking TP every now and then when I sell stuff to look at price). Now I am not going to do this which is why i am revealing it. I want feed back if this would actually be a good investment or not if I WAS investing other than obvious bank space taken up.

http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/12161 (Where I got Beet info)

First of all, you would need to sell each beet at 19 copper to triple your money.

www.tpcalc.com <-this site needs to become your best friend right away if you’re going to get into any sort of flipping in this game.

Now, beets are an odd item to deal with, especially in the sort of volume that you’re talking about. If you bought 100 stacks at 4c each, & relisted them RIGHT NOW at 19c each (again, there is no point in keeping them in the bank), then should the price spike to 19c+ you would triple your money at that time. The Supply of Beets on the TP, however, is currently more than 4 times the Demand. Another thing to keep in mind is that you are talking about selling 25,000 Beets; if the price spikes, would it stay that high long enough to sell all of those Beets? How many Beets are sitting between the current price of 8c and your target price of 20c (if Beets hit 20c, it means you will have sold ALL of your stock that was listed at 19c)? It sounds as though in your hypothetical scenario, you plan to buy Beets through Bid Orders only; once you’ve stocked up enough, could you simply move the market yourself to a new price of 19c? Also, how hard is it to get Beets in this game, and how often are they really being used, and how many would people really need if crafting went up to 500, but WITHOUT any new recipes involving Beets?

These are some of the questions you’ll need to answer before pouring money into a mat like Beets. The main reason that people do not try to move the market on Beets is that they simply aren’t used for very much in this game; there is only 1 level 80 food item that uses Beets ( http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bowl_of_Refugee%27s_Beet_Soup ), and it’s not a very good food item at that. It is also used in Blue dyes, and I would suspect that some of the smaller price spikes in Beets may have been cause by someone noticing that Beets + Berries had dropped low enough to allow them to profit by simply crafting a zillion dyes. Beets are subject to RNG, and therefore not particularly farmable, but since they can drop from at least 5 sources (3 Harvest Nodes & 2 types of Bags), they are not exactly “rare”.

For a good contrast, take a look at Lotus Roots: http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/12510
Someone with enough gold could literally buy EVERY Lotus Root on the TP and move the price up; I suspect that the market could bare as much as (five) 5 silver each for at least a few days while if not a week, while gatherers slowly replenished the supply on the TP. This food item is in plenty of high-level recipes, many of which are commonly used, and is in short supply. The Lotus Root market has been manipulated a few times in the past, in fact, and has always provided a decent profit to those involved. It can only be harvested from 1 source, and that source does have a time-gate. There are, in fact, several times more omnomberries on the market usually than Lotus Root, making it a prime target for price manipulation. But moving the Lotus Root market really is all about timing the PURCHASE of these mats; just last year, shortly before WvW Season 1 started, Lotus Roots were selling for around 50 copper each, then a group decided to move the price up, and it topped out at around 3 silver each! That’s more than 5 times profit after TP fees!

So yes, it’s theoretically possible to make a decent profit off of Beets, but it is FAR riskier because of the high volume at which you would have to buy them, the very low volume at which they typically sell, and the fact that, in the scenario you’ve listed above, you would have no control over the price whatsoever, you would simply be waiting around, hoping that Anet does something new that adds value to your Beets that isn’t there currently.

(edited by Otokomae.9356)

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mystic.5934

I know many people talk about making massive amounts of gold every day. I would suspect some may. I don’t believe as many do as claim to do so. When someone says they make 200-300g a day everyday I’m suspicious. For me a very realistic amount made daily is 50g, good days 75g and depending on how much time you spend 100g on weekends. Then of course you can make considerable amounts correctly speculating for patch days.

I will usually make about 400g/week from 3 hours of crafting, then 50g/day from 30 min of salvaging, then 20g/day from a bit more crafting. I don’t do this every week and day, but it’s very reliable when I do. After a while, it just gets boring and you want to go kill some pixelated toads. That’s edging on 200g/day
Those are my ‘earning a living’ things. Investments shouldn’t really be included due to unpredictability and time scales (“well, this month I earned 1000g, but last month I lost 100g, so 900g in 2 months = 30g/day…”)

We should hold a contest for who can make the most gold in 1 week! That would be fun, though it would depend entirely on people’s reports. I’d be willing to put up prizes, but they couldn’t be too extravagant otherwise someone will likely lie. There would have to be rules… like: you can sell gathered materials, but only materials gathered during that week. people should need to include screenshots of everything they have before and after. How would SP and karma count? like, if they were on the verge of making a legendary, that clearly shouldn’t count. This is getting to be a long list of regulations… probably too complicated.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I just noticed that Silver Doubloons’ prices plummeted. Didn’t even bother keeping track of them, so my stockpile lost half its value. I’ve just joined the ranks of the 99%. Perhaps the Queen will be so kind as to provide free health care and monthly stipends to me.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

danielrjones.8759

@Mystic, I certainly believe 200g a day can be done. I have actually done it a couple times over the last 9 months when I started getting serious about the tp. I find it difficult for someone to say they can make 200g everyday 7 days a week and so on. I believe it could be possible I suppose. But standing in la from time to time I have heard that comment many times. "i make at least 200g everyday off the trading post. I found that suspicious.

I do make more than 50g a day. I was only talking about tp flipping. I spend my share farming. Although not as much as I have done. I’m down to 2 hours a day for events and farming.

In order for me to participate in contest of that nature, I would have to disillusion my wife of the fact I rarely play more than 3 hours a day. If she knew the truth, Momma wouldn’t be happy. And we all know. If momma aint happy nobody is happy.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mystic.5934

lol. you could always tell her beforehand, “I’m participating in a competition for this week, so I’ll be playing a lot, but it’s to prove my manliness, so it’s a good cause”
If there was enough interest in this, I could organize it.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

danielrjones.8759

@Smooth Penguin, that last sentence made me really laugh out loud. Made me think of the times I would say to myself. If this toon doesn’t make x amount of gold today he isn’t eating tonight.

Sorry to hear about the lose though. I don’t like to see anyone lose money.

@Mystic, I promised her I wouldn’t spend as much time in GW2 as I did in GW1. (and I haven’t) she happened to see I had 14,000 hours on one account and nearly lost it. I had six accounts. Trying to wean myself.

I couldn’t go a week sleeping on the couch alone. My manliness would certainly be tested. I would be on the do not touch me go play your game list for I don’t know how long. And of course the “go play your game” part would not be something I should do, but more of a dare lol.

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

@Smooth Penguin, that last sentence made me really laugh out loud. Made me think of the times I would say to myself. If this toon doesn’t make x amount of gold today he isn’t eating tonight.

Sorry to hear about the lose though. I don’t like to see anyone lose money.

@Mystic, I promised her I wouldn’t spend as much time in GW2 as I did in GW1. (and I haven’t) she happened to see I had 14,000 hours on one account and nearly lost it. I had six accounts. Trying to wean myself.

I couldn’t go a week sleeping on the couch alone. My manliness would certainly be tested. I would be on the do not touch me go play your game list for I don’t know how long. And of course the “go play your game” part would not be something I should do, but more of a dare lol.

I’m a bad investor. Plain and simple. I still have stuff that could help me break even after my recent losses, but no where near the likes of Vol.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.7601

Eh I’m pretty overrated. I’m a speculator, not a flipper, so my gains take awhile to show profit. I’m just a farmer that makes a ton of gold and invests it

Kind of like a lawyer or accountant who makes a huge salary and decides to invest in in a high interest ING account, bonds or GICs

How do I become a 1%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Bunda.2691

Bunda.2691

Eh I’m pretty overrated. I’m a speculator, not a flipper, so my gains take awhile to show profit. I’m just a farmer that makes a ton of gold and invests it

Kind of like a lawyer or accountant who makes a huge salary and decides to invest in in a high interest ING account, bonds or GICs

Psssht. The really ballsy move would be to invest in GAK, not GIC.