Phoenix skins, top or flop?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

With the release of the new phoenix themed weapon skins i asked my self: are they good enough? Since the start of the LS we have seen many skin sets till this date but all of them were successful.

Molten skins are very expensive and gw1 skins like zodiac are around 200g aswell. But there were two less successful skin sets as the halloween skins which are around 50g and the lovestruck skins which are around 40-50g.

Limited skins usually double in price when the introduction sale for 1 bl ticket ends. Lovestruck and hween did not.

What do you think will happen to phoenix? Opinions?

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ungascarlo.7459

ungascarlo.7459

people love these flaming effects

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Hard to say. Opinion seems split on whether the Phoenix skins are cool or not. Some weapons like the Staff and Shield are extremely detailed and seem very popular, while others like the Pistol or Warhorn seem lackluster. Personally I’m considering picking up a Phoenix Rifle, but I’m still not sure if it’ll suit the colour scheme I have for my Charr Warrior.

The Lovestruck skins were kind of doomed from the start since the “hearts” motif usually doesn’t sit well with most guys, which is half the player base.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

All the halloween skins (except, maybe, the shield?) are above 100g, by a large margin.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Personally, my favorite so far is the lovestruck set… :/ I’m not a big fan of the color combination of the phoenix set although I do love the bird motiff

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

It has nothing to do with the skins themselves. Over time, more players learn that new weapon skins = money, and go through a lot of effort to acquire them as investments. So, the first Halloween skins were mostly used and relatively few were set aside to sell later, but by next Halloween thousands of players had seen the first skins’ prices skyrocket and most of them were bought to sell rather than use.

Eventually, speculators buying skins to sell will overwhelm the demand from those who actually want to use the skins on their weapons, either because they cannot afford the asking prices or because they already have the “look” and can be more selective about their purchases. When the supply is greater than the demand, speculators can’t get the same prices they are used to for the new skins.

Gradually, demand will increase as new players accumulate gold, or older players get bored with their current looks, and the supply will get used up and prices rise. But the more speculators there are hoarding skins, the longer this will take. Also, the recent wardrobe update has an effect on demand as well – instead of buying three greatsword skins for a mesmer, warrior and guardian, a player only needs one.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Personally, my favorite so far is the lovestruck set… :/ I’m not a big fan of the color combination of the phoenix set although I do love the bird motiff

Same here. The design and detail is not bad, but i really don’t like the colors, especially the green.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

On first look they seemed great, after a closer second look, meh …

The flame motif has gotten very old and was much better done with the fused skins, if you like that sort of thing.

And yes, the colour mix on these is certainly not for everyone, plus some are very ugly like the axe and greatsword.

I have 6 tickets and was looking for something better than these to invest in …

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Skins have stopped going up because so many people bandwagon invested on them. I got fed up of waiting for Hallowe’en skins and sold them like 6 months on for a 20% ROI.

If you really want to hold onto something for a year and get about 20g for it. Go ahead, but this market is quickly becoming a non-option.

Personally, I think it is be better to invest in the older ones that are “at risk” of being removed, a la Sclerite fashion.

Ticket weapons really are an “average joe” way of investing. You must barely understand the word “investment” to not find a better option.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

(edited by Flissy.4093)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

of all the “special” skins the only set i like is the jade dragon set, the phoenix skins look so boring.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Just add fire. I do like the size of the hammer though. Fairly useless weapon to me sadly.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Danger.3208

Danger.3208

The Lovestruck skins were kind of doomed from the start since the “hearts” motif usually doesn’t sit well with most guys, which is half the player base.

Dude, the whole reason I bought as many of the lovestruck as possible were because I thought the hearts motif is hilarious! Assumptions about the player base suck.

On topic though, I like the skins well enough, but definately not worth spending tickets on imo. I would rather save up for tormented or any future releases.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I have tickets to buy them from the trader and gold to snag from the TP, but I will not be.

I like the design of several of them (greatsword, bows), but I’m tired of them throwing orange/red flames on everything.

Had the flames been purple, or green, or (here’s an idea) dyeable…maybe then.

And it doesn’t help that every item they release with flames on it has completely different flame appearance and effects and flame behavior. You cannot even throw all your flame armor and weapons on since all of the flames are different. Total lack of vision and sense of consistency by the designers.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Dude, the whole reason I bought as many of the lovestruck as possible were because I thought the hearts motif is hilarious! Assumptions about the player base suck.

On topic though, I like the skins well enough, but definately not worth spending tickets on imo. I would rather save up for tormented or any future releases.

I did say “usually”. But if you compare the number of characters you see in town with dark, menacing characters as opposed to silly, outlandish styles, the former outnumber the latter by a huge margin. That’s what I’m referring to.

The other part of the equation was also touched on above. A lot of players have realised that buying up skins for investment was a fairly safe way of earning money, so a lot of players jumped on that bandwagon. With so many sellers, and fewer buyers (now that the Wardrobe is here, you only need one copy of a weapon to use forever), prices won’t see the same level as they used to, unless ANet removes them like they did with the Sclerite and Wintersday weapons.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jansy.8463

Jansy.8463

Flop in my opinion.

Gold Cape via Hall of Monuments pls…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kupper.8074

Kupper.8074

If you are thinking of buying to later sell, you are going to have to wait probably close to a year. The fanboys are screaming “ZOMGBBQSAUCE, they has flamez! everyone will want them” and there are a lot of people buying skins now. While, I think there is some profit in this market, it has become a much longer waiting game for smaller rewards with the wardrobe. I’ve been debating on dumping some of my skins to move onto greener pastures.

JQ – The ‘veggie’ Knight
Berserker = Skilled http://i.imgur.com/g1rkIub.jpg
Never forget – http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

I actually made money on lovestruck skins but I don’t feel they were really a solid investment, I could’ve done better.

This will probably be the same, rather invest in other stuff.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Solo.9027

Solo.9027

I honestly think the market is saturating to a point that most people have a gemstore skin for all of their favorite weapons by now and it will take something drastic like dyeable weapon effects or some other customizations to get people to drop serious coin on a new skin.

I’ve been using my fused GS skin since forever and even if something nicer comes out I still have the rarity going for me as a reason not to switch. I’m also sitting on a couple completed tickets because nothing they’ve been releasing is really too amazing.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

some of them look awsome, i particuarlly like the torch and staff

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Korossive.7085

Korossive.7085

Scarlet’s Kiss was said to climb to 1,600g like the shields, and look what came out of that.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Jekkt.6045

imo the difference between the shields and the rifles is a) time, b) looks.

the shields are very old and there are “only” 14 or something on the tp right now while scarlets weapons are rather new and imo not as good looking as the ghastly shields.

they will rise over time however i dont think that they will reach the same price.

you can look at the aetherblade path nightmare skins. they used to be around 80g when everybody was doing that dungeon when it came out. now almost nobody is still doing it and the skins are around 300g.

if something is rare but the looks suck thats bad. if something is rare and looks awesome the price will rise to the sky. its all based on rarity, looks and a portion of luck (and manipulation).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

look at the usefulness of shields as well…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Jekkt.6045

They are useful in pvp. Not so much in pve. Rifles on the other hand are more useless if you ask me.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Love the design of the phoenix weapons but seriously, did they have to be on fire? Again? Because the sheer amount of special flaming skins we already have in the game wasn’t already a running joke?

If they had water or air effects on them (or no effects at all for that matter), I would have loved to get them.

I’ll stick with the Dragon Jade set for now.