Precursor, 300, 800,1540 now 1850g

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

The question is wrong. The TP is not broken.

But the droprate and mystic forge return rate of precursors is broken. I can afford them, but I’m not the norm. Smooth penguin is not the norm. Those defending these prices are wealthy and have profited from the TP for at least a year.

Precursor prices are clearly not right.

I do agree with above posters that precursor crafting needs to happen. Waiting further is not good for this game, there’s too much focus on one item now. That’s never healthy, for any game.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Crafting precursor? In 2013 price of precursor is broken and Colin Johnsson said to: No problem, crafting precusor or others is coming for 2013 because the price is totally broken must be other solutions to obtain a precursor. And where is crafting precursor in 2013? Nowhere. Now we are in 2014 the game is extremely broken. It’s time to repair and keep is word.

Prove he said that. Prove that the game, TP, price, or whatever are broken.

I’m half tempted to buy up all of the dusks and then list one for 20k so the OP can say things must really be broken.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Buttercup.5871

You are right, of course Colin didn’t say anything was broken. But he did say this:

Colin Johanson: “The other thing that you’ll see this year is you will [Colin’s emphasis] see the ability to build a precursor. It’s not going to be next week, it’ll probably be – you know – as we get closer to the end of the year, but we’re absolutely going to add that support so that you can make your own precursor and feel like you’re making progress towards putting one of those together. Very likely it’s going to be through crafting, we haven’t completely finalized that, but I think it’s more than likely where that’s all going to drop in."

Pax, 3 September 2013.
http://youtu.be/Jy7CcwnfUdU
See 13:25 to 13:50.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

Yep. That’s what I remember reading. The 300g aspect originated from players and fan sites as that was probably the average price at that time.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Crafting precursor? In 2013 price of precursor is broken and Colin Johnsson said to: No problem, crafting precusor or others is coming for 2013 because the price is totally broken must be other solutions to obtain a precursor. And where is crafting precursor in 2013? Nowhere. Now we are in 2014 the game is extremely broken. It’s time to repair and keep is word.

He didn’t say price was broken IIRC. If he did, I would love to see it. Frankly, I think they take a different strategy. Instead of making precursors craftable, they introduced Ascended weapons.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Buttercup.5871

@Obtena, I transcribed exactly what Colin said. Verbatim. With a link and a timecode to where he said it. I even gave the date of the interview. What more do you need? Why should you have to recall anything when it’s right in front of your nose? Just look at the interview.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DarkSpirit.7046

DarkSpirit.7046

He didn’t say price was broken IIRC. If he did, I would love to see it. Frankly, I think they take a different strategy. Instead of making precursors craftable, they introduced Ascended weapons.

Ascended weapons confused the hell out of everyone. How many times have you heard people asking if they should build a legendary or an ascended weapon?

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can’t ascended weapons naturally progress to a legendary weapon? Instead of exotic precursors it would have made more sense to have ascended precursors. And many people actually want that:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestion-Making-Ascended-Weapons-into-Precursors/first#post4209204

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

Ascended weapons confused the hell out of everyone. How many times have you heard people asking if they should build a legendary or an ascended weapon?

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can’t ascended weapons naturally progress to a legendary weapon? Instead of exotic precursors it would have made more sense to have ascended precursors. And many people actually want that:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestion-Making-Ascended-Weapons-into-Precursors/first#post4209204

Really? I don’t seem to recall many threads with people asking whether they should craft an ascended or legendary.

in Black Lion Trading Co

DarkSpirit.7046

Really? I don’t seem to recall many threads with people asking whether they should craft an ascended or legendary.

Then you haven’t been visiting many forums.

If you choose to craft an ascended weapon then you have chosen to progress to a separate upgrade branch and your efforts to make that ascended weapon is useless should you decide to get a legendary weapon later on. There is no natural progression from ascended to legendary even though crafting an ascended also takes up a lot of resources. This is why many people felt compelled to skip ascended weapons and just go straight to acquiring a legendary. Ascended weapons only drain their resources without helping them on their journey into legendary.

(edited by DarkSpirit.7046)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

Then you haven’t been visiting many forums.

If you choose to craft an ascended weapon then you have chosen to progress to a separate upgrade branch and your efforts to make that ascended weapon is useless should you decide to get a legendary weapon later on. There is no natural progression from ascended to legendary even though crafting an ascended also takes up a lot of resources. This is why many people felt compelled to skip ascended weapons and just go straight to acquiring a legendary. Ascended weapons only drain their resources without helping them on their journey into legendary.

I have and have not seen any other such thread about people supposedly disappointed about no progression of ascended to legendary. The only thread is the one you created. It seems to me that you feel that there should be and are choosing to speak on behalf of everyone whether they agree with you or not.

Ascended is the cheaper route to go and currently is the BiS. That may or may not change in the future. Legendary is mainly for the skins. That’s all. Once you have one, you’re not going to make a duplicate. All of the items for ascended can be farmed. There’s very little overlap between crafting an ascended and crafting a legendary.

in Black Lion Trading Co

DarkSpirit.7046

There’s very little overlap between crafting an ascended and crafting a legendary.

And that is the problem! And if you have not seen any threads that people are forced to decide between legendary and ascended, then simply search for them in google.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/crafting/Ascended-or-Legendary

Precursors should be craftable. Colin promised us that (see Buttercup’s post above). By all reasons, they should give us craftable precursors even if they dont want to make ascended weapons into precursors.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mortrialus.3062

mortrialus.3062

Anyway you slice it, the price on precursors has reached insane levels. I started seriously working on getting a precursor a couple of weeks ago. I’m making about 50-70g a day. And I can’t even keep up with inflation on these things anymore. When I started, the precursor I wanted was 800g. And it’s been rapidly rising. Just in the past few hours, we’ve had a 200g jump in price on the thing from the already inflated price of 1,100g to 1,300g. I’ve been working on on this for weeks, spending 100% of my time in game just working on making money, diligently saving, never buying anything.

It’s not even so much that it’s expensive. It was expensive when I started. It’s that it’s a constantly shifting goal post and it’s out running me. Two days ago, I was at 800g and was only 200g away from it. Now I’m at 900g and I’m 400g away from it. I’m just really frustrated by this. Like what am I supposed to do? I can farm 1,000 gold. I can farm 2,000 gold. But I can’t farm 200g per hour.

(edited by mortrialus.3062)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

It’s not even so much that it’s expensive. It was expensive when I started. It’s that it’s a constantly shifting goal post and it’s out running me. Two days ago, I was at 800g and was only 200g away from it. Now I’m at 900g and I’m 400g away from it. I’m just really frustrated by this. Like what am I supposed to do? I can farm 1,000 gold. I can farm 2,000 gold. But I can’t farm 200g per hour.

Place a buy order. Prices don’t just go up, they go down too. If you get more gold, it doesn’t cost anything to cancel the order and place a larger one.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Spiky.8403

Spiky.8403

Anyway you slice it, the price on precursors has reached insane levels. I started seriously working on getting a precursor a couple of weeks ago. I’m making about 50-70g a day. And I can’t even keep up with inflation on these things anymore. When I started, the precursor I wanted was 800g. And it’s been rapidly rising. Just in the past few hours, we’ve had a 200g jump in price on the thing from the already inflated price of 1,100g to 1,300g. I’ve been working on on this for weeks, spending 100% of my time in game just working on making money, diligently saving, never buying anything.

You should take a look on gw2spidy, because what you say is simply not true. Ignore Dusks that are placed in trading post. Highest buy order is thing that matters. And it’s pretty much the same for weeks, so your absurd 200g per hour really makes no sense.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

There’s very little overlap between crafting an ascended and crafting a legendary.

And that is the problem! And if you have not seen any threads that people are forced to decide between legendary and ascended, then simply search for them in google.

Precursors should be craftable. Colin promised us that (see Buttercup’s post above). By all reasons, they should give us craftable precursors even if they dont want to make ascended weapons into precursors.

So you pulled one thread from a year ago. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that a handful of people are not sure which to craft. However, this is still far from your scenario that it’s a widespread problem.

in Black Lion Trading Co

DarkSpirit.7046

So you pulled one thread from a year ago. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that a handful of people are not sure which to craft. However, this is still far from your scenario that it’s a widespread problem.

I pulled one thread as an example. I did tell you to google it as I am not going to go through the trouble of indicating every single thread that I have seen just to prove a point.

The only reason why ANet would make legendaries and their precursor trade-able through the TP is GOLD. Anything that can be bought with gold can be bought with real money, especially so if those items tend to be very expensive. It doesn’t take a genius to realize why ANet is doing that.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

I pulled one thread an example. I did tell you to google it as I am not going to go through the trouble of indicating every single thread that I have seen just to prove a point.

The only reason why ANet would make legendaries and their precursor trade-able through the TP is GOLD. Anything that can be bought with gold can be bought with real money, especially so if those items tend to be very expensive. It doesn’t take a genius to realize why ANet is doing that.

I had and there were relatively little threads on the subject to suggest that’s its a widespread issue that you were claiming.

I’m not going to address the conspiracy topic in the second part of your post because it’s ridiculous.

in Black Lion Trading Co

DarkSpirit.7046

I pulled one thread an example. I did tell you to google it as I am not going to go through the trouble of indicating every single thread that I have seen just to prove a point.

I had and there were relatively little threads on the subject to suggest that’s its a widespread issue that you were claiming.

I’m not going to address the conspiracy topic in the second part of your post because it’s ridiculous.

Then you are either blind or you are saying this for selfish reasons.

600g may be too expensive to most players, but $84 is affordable to most people. To the gem store, they are about the same value.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: arkealia.2713

arkealia.2713

Goldsellers are back and with the amount of money they sit on, crafting precursors through MF is easy for them and profitable. Manipulating the market to increase the price of precursors makes it even more profitable.
Check spidy, a few weeks ago there were 10 to 30 of each precursor on sale, now they’re down to arround 5.
Lower the supply, prices will increase, then sell what you bought for profit and while you’re at it use that money to craft even more precursors.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Goldsellers are back and with the amount of money they sit on, crafting precursors through MF is easy for them and profitable. Manipulating the market to increase the price of precursors makes it even more profitable.
Check spidy, a few weeks ago there were 10 to 30 of each precursor on sale, now they’re down to arround 5.
Lower the supply, prices will increase, then sell what you bought for profit and while you’re at it use that money to craft even more precursors.

lol

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

600g may be too expensive to most players, but $84 is affordable to most people. To the gem store, they are about the same value.

Nope. I did several searches using different keywords and they all come up the same. There are very few threads.

Yep. Anet is just in artificially raising the prices of items on the TP so that all the players rush to the gem store to buy gold. /sarcasm

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

Yeah. Because gw2spidy shows the transactions and velocity that each items moves at. There can be 20 dusks on the TP, 10 sold within 5 min, and then another 10 put back up a min. This would not show up on gw2spidy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

DarkSpirit.7046

Nope. I did several searches using different keywords and they all come up the same. There are very few threads.

Yep. Anet is just in artificially raising the prices of items on the TP so that all the players rush to the gem store to buy gold. /sarcasm

Of course they do, they even advertised that you can exchange gems for gold. If this is not something that they try to encourage, then why would they advertise it?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

Of course they do, they even advertised that you can exchange gems for gold. If this is not something that they try to encourage, then why would they advertise it?

There’s a difference between advertising it and manipulating prices of items in the game to force players to buy them which you’re suggesting.

in Black Lion Trading Co

DarkSpirit.7046

There’s a difference between advertising it and manipulating prices of items in the game to force players to buy them which you’re suggesting.

Oh so you think that the update, with all those farming nerfs, that came along with that particular “gem-for-gold” advertisement was just a coincidence?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

ascended and legendaries are competitive in terms of resources.
first of all, you have to remember that ascended requires max level crafting, which in general uses a lot of T5/T6 mats, tons of orichalcum/ancient wood, a great amounts of karma(obsidian shards), laurels(which can be used for t6mats) ectoplasms, once you hit 400+ and tons of gold
many gifts often use many lower teir metals.
for example bolt uses
250 gossamer
250 darksteel
250 mithril
500 orichalcum
250 platinum

the list goes on, but yes, legendary and ascended/crafting 500 use many of the same resources. If you were going for a legendary weapon, it would probably be better to ignore ascended weapons completely, as a legendary weapon gives all stats, and ascended weapons just give one, and they use many of the same resources.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

ascended and legendaries are competitive in terms of resources.
first of all, you have to remember that ascended requires max level crafting, which in general uses a lot of T5/T6 mats, tons of orichalcum/ancient wood, a great amounts of karma(obsidian shards), laurels(which can be used for t6mats) ectoplasms, once you hit 400+ and tons of gold
many gifts often use many lower teir metals.
for example bolt uses
250 gossamer
250 darksteel
250 mithril
500 orichalcum
250 platinum

the list goes on, but yes, legendary and ascended/crafting 500 use many of the same resources. If you were going for a legendary weapon, it would probably be better to ignore ascended weapons completely, as a legendary weapon gives all stats, and ascended weapons just give one, and they use many of the same resources.

I’ve addressed this already. There’s very little overlap. It takes a little over two stacks or ancient wood logs and orichalcum ore to level both weapon crafting and huntsman to craft weapons. Both or these are easily farmable. The only other item that is left are ectos. Note that I said very little overlap and no no overlap. Also, you don’t use obsidian shards for leveling crafting and only 63k karma. I highly doubt 63k karma counts as a great amount.

People primarily get legendaries for the skins. If they don’t care for those skins, then getting a legendary is pointless to them. You’re also spending upwards to 2k in materials for one single weapon where you can create many ascended weapons for that much.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lady Deedra.3126

Lady Deedra.3126

@OP If what you want is a Dusk for cheaper than TP price I can probably help you with that.

Skjold Pjod
I am “That” guy you have all heard about.
1,073 precursors forged and counting.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

When did the TP will be repaired? Seriouly…..

its been kittened since launch. I had issues with it taking multiple amounts of orders when I placed just one…..Anet even confirmed in an email it was a design issue on their end…and then said they planned to do nothign about it..

Which is why I dont use it. You just cant trust it, the systems are not robust enough.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

@Obtena, I transcribed exactly what Colin said. Verbatim.

Good … because it just proves what I said … Colin never said prices were broken.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zoxea.9564

Zoxea.9564

The concept of the legendary weapons (Get the ingredients, normally, just with the time (6 months, 1 year, 2 years…), is impossible for a large number of people. Impossible for them to follow the price in the time.) is totally broken because the price of precursor is extremly broken days after days, months after months. It’s time for repair the price, it’s time for keep the promise with craft of precursor or others.

(edited by Zoxea.9564)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

It’s not broken. Please research economics about supply and demand.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Buttercup.5871

Oh, you mean that theory that presumes perfect competition? That one? Reminds me of what you said earlier in this thread:

I’m half tempted to buy up all of the dusks and then list one for 20k so the OP can say things must really be broken.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

Oh, you mean that theory that presumes perfect competition? That one? Reminds me of what you said earlier in this thread:

My point still stands that people should learn a bit more. You would realize that the principles of supply and demand still apply regardless to how close to perfect competition that things are for the most part. Also markets are not really manipulated as you seem to be insinuating. Precursors have a decent velocity whereas they can’t be controlled as easily as say past event items.

As far as my quote, perhaps you should read everything else around it rather than pull it out of context. The whole point of it was to show that posting something at a certain price doesn’t mean that is the new price point for that item.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Maybe Broken is the wrong word, but I think there is an issue here worth looking into.

The volatility of precursors is an issue that should have been solved with craftable precursors that were supposed to be in at the end of last year as per dev comment. That hasn’t happened yet, so in a way it is broken, or at least not working as intended because that issue isn’t resolved.

Then the prices continuing to rise is a good sign of inflation. The cause of that is where economics gets a bit shakey and confusing. The price of Gold→ Gem could be a contributing factor having less people throwing money out of the system. More players having more time over summer meaning more money being earned from normal in game means like dungeons could also be a factor. So it could just be the “high tide” of the normal flux in the economy /shrug, I’m no economics major, but I can look at the prices today and remember what they were a few months ago and say “hey they’re higher now”.

Either way I think it’s more than just supply and demand. Sure that sets the price, there’s nothing wrong with the price being what it is given all the factors are what they are. But those factors should be different as per the quoted dev intentions.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

Crafting precursors would have just transferred the “volatility” to the requires components to craft them. Also, the price of precursors are working as intended based on supply and demand. There’s a very large demand for legendaries but very little supply despite its velocity.

Precursor price increases are not a sign of inflation. I highly suggest researching about what inflation is and how it is measured. Knowing economics would help with this rather than it being “shaky and confusing”.

The gem store is a completely different system and has nothing to do with precursor prices.

I also suggest looking at the precursor price history (buy and sell orders) since launch on gw2spidy. Look at where the spikes are. What caused these spikes? I’ll give you a hint of one spike. Look at this April. Also look at the dip in price during November 2012. What could have caused these?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Jerus.4350

Crafting precursors would have just transferred the “volatility” to the requires components to craft them. Also, the price of precursors are working as intended based on supply and demand. There’s a very large demand for legendaries but very little supply despite its velocity.

Precursor price increases are not a sign of inflation. I highly suggest researching about what inflation is and how it is measured. Knowing economics would help with this rather than it being “shaky and confusing”.

The gem store is a completely different system and has nothing to do with precursor prices.

Yes, it would, but the volatility is like statistics, the more samples you have the less the results will vary will vary from the average. So when you go from say 1 precursor to looking at like 2k+ t6 mats for the precursor the prices will average out better so less volatility.

I suggest you do some research on how to have a discussion because just restating “do research” doesn’t lend to much other than making it seem like you’re feigning intelligence in an attempt to feel superior.

Inflation is when the real value of currency diminishes. IE I could take 40silver a few months ago and buy a powerful blood. Now I can’t, as they cost like 50+silver.

As for the comment on the gems, it’s about money being in the market, the more gold there is in people’s wallets the more things are going to cost. When money goes out of the game prices go down. The Fed prints money, that’s what controls the actual value of currency in the US. How much cash they have in flow will determine the value of the dollar. Where in this game we have an automatic system that creatse gold, so there needs to be systems that more regularly remove it as well. One of those systems is the gold→ gem conversion. If the gold coming into the game through things like dungeons or Gem→gold are outpacing the things removing it from the game then the amount of gold in circulation is higher and the value of each gold is lower.

My comments about it being shakey and confusing were based upon the fact that I am a novice as far as economics goes, this is all econ 101 stuff no further, if it’s wrong, please elaborate as to why, not just say I should do research, that says nothing. I’d love to learn, but talking down to people just makes you look like a kitten.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

I say to do research because it gets pretty old fast having to teach someone something that they can learn on their own. I should not have to educate someone who participates in a discussion that involves economics. That burden is not in me. I’ve been in numerous threads where the issue is simply that they don’t have a good understanding.

Inflation is the increase of common goods across the entire market. You can’t meSure inflation based on precursors or t6 fine materials. One reason why is that t6 fine materials are an items used for legendaries. If the demand for legendaries goes up, you can sure to expect the same for all related components.

While the amount of gold in the system naturally has an impact on prices, it doesn’t happen overnight. If you look on gw2spidy, you can get a good idea in what is mainly causing the increases for precursors. Also, the trend in conversions is that it’s continuously costing more to convert gold to gems. This means there are more people converting gold to gems than the other way around.

I’ll gladly elaborate a little more for you in future posts if I remember to since you’ve taken a class and it’ll be easier to explain things. Another reason I resort to telling people to research the topics is because a lot of the time I’m using my phone which makes it a pain to type out long, involved posts.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Jerus.4350

Some great info there, thank you.

Though I still have to scratch my head. If it’s not inflation how do you explain the price of say Powerful blood doubling in price since last year? Are t6 mats much harder to come by giving a lower supply? Are that many more people really going after the things those produce? What were people spending their gold on back then if the demand was so much lower, were people just building massive banks of cash?

If people are spending more gold on gems, spending more gold on t6 mats, spending more gold on precursors, where is that extra gold coming from? How are they able to afford it?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zoxea.9564

Zoxea.9564

The concept of the legendary weapons (Get the ingredients, normally, just with the time (6 months, 1 year, 2 years…), is impossible for a large number of people. Impossible for them to follow the price in the time.) is totally broken because the price of precursor is extremly broken days after days, months after months. It’s time for repair the price, it’s time for keep the promise with craft of precursor or others.

The game must be GUILD WARS 2 not BLTP WARS 2…

(edited by Zoxea.9564)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

The game must be GUILD WARS 2 not BLTP WARS 2…

Please state exactly why it’s broken. What makes it broken? I keep asking because you keep saying it’s broken but don’t explain why with facts. You only present your opinions on how you think it should be.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

Though I still have to scratch my head. If it’s not inflation how do you explain the price of say Powerful blood doubling in price since last year? Are t6 mats much harder to come by giving a lower supply? Are that many more people really going after the things those produce? What were people spending their gold on back then if the demand was so much lower, were people just building massive banks of cash?

If people are spending more gold on gems, spending more gold on t6 mats, spending more gold on precursors, where is that extra gold coming from? How are they able to afford it?

We saw the increase due to ascended armor in December last year and then because of the demand spike for legendaries in April.

edit: fixed spelling error

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

Is it just me or are these people getting more and more ridiculous?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Jerus.4350

We saw the increase due to ascended armor in Decembef last year and then because of the demand spike for legendaries in April.

It just seems that everything I look at has increased in price over the long run, even say copper ore. Of course certain events will account for spikes here and there, but the overall increase in price on any item I look up just seems like the answer is inflation isn’kitten Not necessarily bad, but it is inflation isn’kitten

Either way, Thanks for the insight, no need to derail the thread further (even if it’s not really going anywhere)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

It’s not anymore understanding … it’s just a rant that proclaims the end of the world when there isn’t anything wrong. There isn’t any broken prices … it’s the prices those items are worth based on how hard they are to get and how many people want them. There isn’t a way to actually fix the price itself. EVen with craftable precursor, there is no guarantee pricing will be ‘fixed’. Craftable doesn’t mean it will be any easier to get.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

It just seems that everything I look at has increased in price over the long run, even say copper ore. Of course certain events will account for spikes here and there, but the overall increase in price on any item I look up just seems like the answer is inflation isn’kitten Not necessarily bad, but it is inflation isn’kitten

Either way, Thanks for the insight, no need to derail the thread further (even if it’s not really going anywhere)

It’s not that inflation doesn’t exist, because it does, it’s a natural process that occurs as the game ages. But it’s not a problem, and it’s not out of control.

When a rare level 80 sword costs 1g last Thursday, 100g last Sunday and 1000g today, inflation is a problem. Pointing to someone buying out the supply of Dusk and relisting them at a higher price isn’t inflation, and it doesn’t mean the average price of goods on the TP has gone up.

There are more players with piles of gold in their wallets than a year ago. Someone leveling his third alt doesn’t necessarily want to run through the same zones he has already explored twice, and has a lot of gold on hand. So he buys crafting mats from the TP and levels his alt through crafting. More players doing this means more demand for materials and less supply because less players are exploring the mid-level zones.

So it’s not that inflation doesn’t happen, the recent changes in prices are due to other things than inflation. But people who don’t know anything about economics have heard of inflation, so they think that any change in price is inflation. When someone who does know something about economics tells them what is happening, they argue that this person is wrong, it’s inflation.

It’s like arguing with your doctor when you’re sick. He has the data from the tests, and the education to interpret the data. While he’s not necessarily always right, he knows a lot more about the subject than you do, so your uneducated opinion does not trump his educated one.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

It is important to note that Ascended crafting increased the demand for every raw crafting material (either directly or indirectly via promotion) which would certainly contribute to higher prices overall without inflation being to blame.

That said, inflation is definitely happening, but not to a degree that is dangerous to the economy.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: IKaikiasI.1932

IKaikiasI.1932

The economy in this game fails. Not because the economy itself fails, it fails because the economy has no symbiotic relationship to the possibilities of the playerbase.

Or how can you explain that some people can get 100 legendaries and the most not even one? The system how it is at the moment does NOT fit to the game. The normal way of farming is not competitive with the TP.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

Or how can you explain that some people can get 100 legendaries and the most not even one?

That’s easy … someone worked to get 100 legendaries … someone else didn’t do enough to even get one. That’s not an economy problem and if anything, your example illustrates this beautifully … A working economy does indeed separate 100 legendary people from zero legendary people, AS INTENDED.

While people can argue the legendary system doesn’t work, that’s not indicative of how the economy as a whole DOES work. Again, I think it’s worth noting that as much as ignorant people consider the economy to be broken, the way it works is intended and confirmed as such by the experts at the helm of it at Anet.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

In the spirit of the debate at hand, can someone tell me the current price for Venom, the Precursor for Kraitkin?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!