Product idea: Custom mail bird

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I don’t know why <mail delivery animal> isn’t configurable on account or even character level. I’m sure quite a few people would buy a “messenger crow”, “messenger owl”, “messenger imp”, “Asura drone” etc. from the gem store for 150-350 gems. There are so many flying (and swimming…) environmental creatures (including all the necessary animations) in GW2 already, seems like an easy way for them to print money.

There could also be festival-related “special” ones to collect.

If we could equip them on a per-character level, like unlimited gathering tools, I’d buy different ones for most of my characters. Roleplayers would love this, too, I’m certain.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Well THANK YOU ANet

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Huzzah! New income stream!

And they will gem us to death with this new “toy”.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Well, good. Options are good. Voluntary cosmetics are voluntary.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Well THANK YOU ANet

Pretty darn cool, eh?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

in Black Lion Trading Co

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I say!

Just waiting for my golem drone now ;D

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Well THANK YOU ANet

Pretty darn cool, eh?

Yea nice to see that some suggestions get implimented

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: The Ice Mage.4879

The Ice Mage.4879

I’ll never understand people that whine about voluntary cosmetics…and those claiming it’s some insane waste of time/resources….well that’s just bull-kittenin-kitten…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

i want a toy griffon =D

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

So how does this custom mail carrier work? The patch notes were a bit confusing; do you have to pay 500 gems for the griffon that only ever works ONCE on a single mail you send out? (Seems like a horrid deal!) Or is the griffon a permanent upgrade, but it only applies to a single mail you send out, after which you have to reapply it for each subsequent mails because it resets to the carrier pigeon after each use? (Better, but still seems quite inconvenient if I have to keep reapplying it every time I send a mail or trade something.)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Curtis Johnson

Previous

Curtis Johnson

What you are purchasing is an unlock of a carrier type. You can select a new default carrier for each character from the ones you have unlocked.

This carrier selected applies to all mail you send including trading post mail and also applies to any non-player mail you receive (from game, story, or store)

Player sent mail always uses the sending player’s selected carrier.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I doubt this happened based on your suggestion. The german community manager Ramon Domke said, even the most simple items take minimum of 3 months to implement if you inclued all the QA phases.
And 500 gems seems to be slightly too expensive for something you rarely see for a blink of an eye

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Zaxares.5419

Thanks for the clarification, Curtis.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: SenorMoody.5908

SenorMoody.5908

I really like this idea. Some fun possibilities are in the works hopefully. But I do think that 500 is a little expensive. I think tree.. maybe Tree-fitty would be better. Now bring me my mail, “Quaggan Riding a balloon!”

Attachments:

Wish it, Want it, Do it!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I don’t understand the point of these… I have never seen any sort of animation when I get a mail, just a blinking mail icon at the top of my screen. Is there really some animation associated with getting mail? Does anyone have a video of it?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

I don’t understand the point of these… I have never seen any sort of animation when I get a mail, just a blinking mail icon at the top of my screen. Is there really some animation associated with getting mail? Does anyone have a video of it?

Not useful for anything, besides adding some vanity to your mail. Anyways 500 gems is too much for this item.

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Abdel Muhti.6431

Abdel Muhti.6431

This item is awesome!!! I just havent recognized the delivery of the mail was done by an epic approach of a small phoenix creature since release. Im blown aways. Now this skin can be swapped. Wow. I have to kneel down.

This celestial awesomeness fires up my hope to get SINGLE ARMOR PIECES again as well and get rid of not customizable armor sets.

in love
(old man that enjoys playing with pixel barby dolls)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

10 points for gryffindor.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

The linked video above is of the new carrier; here is a very old video from around launch but it’s the same bird we’ve had from beta to now. If you stand at a crowded bank or TP you should be seeing a ton of birds swooping by (maybe your camera is zoomed in too close to see?). There was even dialogue in recent LS biconic chatter about “I’ll send a bird” to message the player. In RP my guild has used the phrase “send a bird” to mean send a letter for a long time now!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

Alright, so when I use this and send a mail, I see a griffon fly away instead of a pigeon. (and looking at the video above, I also see a griffon deliver that mail to the recipient). But: does the mail recipient see a griffon or a pigeon deliver that mail? and do they see my griffon fly away when I first sent that mail? cause I really think they should see a griffon for all of those.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Alright, so when I use this and send a mail, I see a griffon fly away instead of a pigeon. (and looking at the video above, I also see a griffon deliver that mail to the recipient). But: does the mail recipient see a griffon or a pigeon deliver that mail? and do they see my griffon fly away when I first sent that mail? cause I really think they should see a griffon for all of those.

As far as I understand, it always depends on the sender.

Let’s say I have a pigeon and you have a griffon.

• You send me mail: I will see griffon
  • I send you mail: you will see pigeon
  • ANet sends you mail: you will see griffon

Datamined strings suggest that there might be one-time mail effects too (kind of like finishers can be unlocked for a specific amount or completely) and I think I read “confetti”. So you can use this to customize a birthday greeting, love letter or whatever that you send to another player. While with the mail you get, the effect will depend on the sender (unless it’s ANet in which case you see your own mail effect, because why the hell not, I guess).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Eric.6109

Eric.6109

It’s pretty cool. But for 500 gems? I’d buy it if I could send mail to alts, but there so such possibility. For that very rare occasion when I send/receive Mail it’s just not worth it.

a.net: I will not be buying gems with cash until you fix traits.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

It’s a neat idea. The only issue I have with it is the 500 Gem price. With 250-300, u’d get many more sold. Just saying.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

For 300 (maybe 400 max) gems i’ll consider buying, not for 500.

Ideas for mail deliverers:
- mini Tequatl
- mini Ember (or not cos yer mail gets burned )
- any of the mini Imp’s
- any of the bird mini’s
- witch cat with wings (black cat with witch hat and black wings)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mutantclover.1275

Mutantclover.1275

On the one hand, I understand people feeling 500 gems (or as I like to think of it, 80 gold) is a bit much. But on the other hand, its an account wide unlock, similar to a finisher, special miniature, or skin. The animation on it is pretty cool. And, as with any new release in the game (gem store or not), price will start at a certain level and then it will go on sale at some point.

Edit: Would have been cool if it were a rare chance to drop from the final Griffinrook Run chest

(edited by Mutantclover.1275)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Pixelpumpkin.4608

For 300, I would have bought this particular one – for 500, I will wait for a mail animation that I actually want.

Then again, I keep forgetting that I can buy gems with gold, and 80 gold doesn’t sound like THAT much for me – I have blown a lot more than that on minis and exotics just for the collections.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I wouldn’t buy one of these for anything more than 150 gems… It’s like a mini pet that you only see some of the time. They should be cheaper and possibly have some as achievement rewards.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rip Van Winkle.4859

Rip Van Winkle.4859

Really I see this as a waste of Gems. You can send and receive mail anywhere in the game. Why add more clutter to add more potential lag?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Really I see this as a waste of Gems. You can send and receive mail anywhere in the game. Why add more clutter to add more potential lag?

How does it add clutter/lag? It replaces the current animation that is already used in the game. The clutter (and lag) should be exactly equal.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rip Van Winkle.4859

Rip Van Winkle.4859

When I get mail I get the envelope Icon with a number on it. Nothing else so you tell me. Like I said waste of gems and TBH a waste of Programmers time. When there are plenty of Bugs that could be worked on and fixed. But then some people rather have Frills.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Zaxares.5419

Have you never noticed the carrier pigeons that send/deliver your mail, Rip? (Even underwater!)

Anyway, I’m not taken enough with the Griffon animation to pay 500 gems for it. I’ll wait to see if there’s any better ones released in the future (and even then, I’ll probably just wait till they go on sale before buying).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Yep, every player gets their mail delivered by carrier pigeon.

Donari posted a video a handful replies further up. This one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELNcb_YrHiA

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

• ANet sends you mail: you will see griffon

I WANT THEM TO SEND MAILS VIA PHOENIX THAT EVAPORATES INTO A FIREBALL AFTER IT DELIVERS THE MAIL!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

The only thing that needs to be fixed now is the timing – it’s WAY OFF sometimes…. (I have posted about it on the bug forums)

Kima & Co

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I hardly ever get any mail to warrant the idea of buying a new animation, but if we got any more it would be cool to see much larger versions – dragons and fiery phoenixes and the like

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m surprised by the number of people saying they don’t get mail. This carrier is how your sent items appear. Don’t you post items for sale on the TP? The griffon will swoop by to take your delivery every time. Now, it does seem to be a longer animation than the pigeon, so I could see people doing volume sales getting irked if that actually slows down posting items.

I’ve sent mail to some guildies just so they could see the griffon arrive; they had not themselves bought it. Their return messages came by pigeon.