Salvaging with BL kits for profit?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Natsu Dragneel.1625

Natsu Dragneel.1625

Heya there guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations of what to salvage with BL kits to make a bit of profit, as I currently have quite a few stacks thanks to farming keys and they are taking up too much bank space,

Cheers~

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

exotic armor/weapons with good runes/sigils on them ?

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

What flumek says. It’s basicly ’search weapon, search sigil/rune, see if the price match/exceeds of armor/weapon itself, then go ahead and salvage. With drops this is easy, but with buying off TP you need a 1,15* margin or more. So in all honesty, just use it on drops.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I caution you that this is not nearly as profitable as it used to be. When inscription/insignia first started dropping from exotics, I was getting 2-4g profit per exotic. Now there’s only like 20 exotics that give more than 1g, and 19 of those will quickly increase in price because it was a fluke that they got that low to begin with (someone might sell 5 at once, and there were only 6 buy orders).
I recently placed buy orders for the top 50 or so profitable-to-salvage items. I received 3 items. 6 months ago, I would of received 300. I think there are just too many people in that market now, so you get outbid too quickly.

also, BLSK is rarely better to use anymore. It takes the inscription/insignia + sigil/rune selling for >9g to make BLSK worth it over MSK. If you want a more accurate formula for this, it’s not nearly that simple. gem prices are just so high that each BLSK currently costs 1g54s. and since it’s only a 25% improvement over MSK, it’s not often that it’s worth it.
extended formula:
if exotic:
ecto_profit_BLSK=ecto_sale_price x 1.66
ecto_profit_MSK=ecto_sale_price x 1.27
if rare:
ecto_profit_BLSK=ecto_sale_price x 1.25
ecto_profit_MSK=ecto_sale_price x 0.875
profit_MSK=(socket_sale_price x 0.8+ecto_profit_MSK+inscription_sale_price x 0.42) x 0.85-61c
profit_BLSK=(socket_sale_price+ecto_profit_BLSK+inscription_sale_price x 0.61) x 0.85-1g54s

if profit_BLSK>profit_MSK, use BLSK:
(socket_sale_price+ecto_profit_BLSK+inscription_sale_price x 0.61) x 0.85-1g54s > (socket_sale_price x 0.8+ecto_profit_MSK+inscription_sale_price x 0.42) x 0.85-61c
socket_sale_price+ecto_profit_BLSK+inscription_sale_price x 0.61-1g82s > socket_sale_price x 0.8+ecto_profit_MSK+inscription_sale_price x 0.42
socket_sale_price x 0.2+inscription_sale_price x 0.19+ecto_profit_BLSK-ecto_profit_MSK > 1g82s
socket_sale_price x 0.2+inscription_sale_price x 0.19-0.39 x ecto_sale_price > 1g82s (If exotic. rare would be “0.375 x ecto_sale_price”)
socket_sale_price+inscription_sale_price x 0.95-1.95 x ecto_sale_price > 9g10s
socket_sale_price+inscription_sale_price x 0.95 > 9g10s + ~78s
huh. so my “>9g” aprox was pretty close :P

quick tip: Shaman’s Etched Revolver of Accuracy (level 78 exotic). there is a sell listing at 2g20s0c. buy it. salvage it with Master/Mystic SK. observe 53s55c profit (on average – so no guarantees given for a single salvage).

(edited by Mystic.5934)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Salvage Yakkington’s set (here comes the price rise!)

Yakkingtons, among other specific armors, have a GUARANTEED CHANCE at rolling for an insignia.

I should stress what ‘guaranteed chance’ means. It means that the armor will give you a greater than 0% chance at returning an insignia. Some armors, no matter how expensive they are or whether they have an expensive inscription or not, will never give you an insignia.

With a BL kit, the chance at retrieving an insignia from Yakkington’s is at 50%. If I recall, the insignia you receive is a Dire Intricate Gossamer Insignia, which sells for over 3.5G

So if you have spare BL kits lying around, I would consider throwing them at Yakkington’s. I think you reach +- breakeven with the inscription and include at least 1-2 ectos. The insignia is where you get most of your profit from, but remember, it’s only a 50% chance.

As I eluded to before, there was a time where you could ‘infinitely’ make gold with this, but the popularity of this item and the rise in gem price several months back have made purchasing BL kits a loss venture.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Salvage Yakkington’s set (here comes the price rise!)

Yakkingtons, among other specific armors, have a GUARANTEED CHANCE at rolling for an insignia.

I should stress what ‘guaranteed chance’ means. It means that the armor will give you a greater than 0% chance at returning an insignia. Some armors, no matter how expensive they are or whether they have an expensive inscription or not, will never give you an insignia.

With a BL kit, the chance at retrieving an insignia from Yakkington’s is at 50%. If I recall, the insignia you receive is a Dire Intricate Gossamer Insignia, which sells for over 3.5G

So if you have spare BL kits lying around, I would consider throwing them at Yakkington’s. I think you reach +- breakeven with the rune and include at least 1-2 ectos. The insignia is where you get most of your profit from, but remember, it’s only a 50% chance.

As I eluded to before, there was a time where you could ‘infinitely’ make gold with this, but the popularity of this item and the rise in gem price several months back have made purchasing BL kits a loss venture.

fixed

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mystic.5934

Good ol’ Yakkington and his armor. I’ve always wondered how there can be 1000’s of his armor around. like, does he wear it, then drop it on the ground when he changes into jammies each night, then we come along and pick it up?

profiting with Yakkington’s salvage using BLSK:
100% chance of 6g83s rune + 61% chance of 3g87s insignia + 1.66 ecto
6g83s + 2g36s + 66s = 9g85s (how much everything sells for)
9g85s * 0.85 = 8g37s (after TP fees)
8g37s – 1g54s = 6g83s (minus BLSK cost)
so when you’re buying those yakkington’s armors, you should pay 6g83s at most. the further below that you pay, the more profit you’ll make, on average.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cyrill Faust.9340

Cyrill Faust.9340

Mystic, with respect your analysis is flawed. He’s not buying BLSK he has too many, and since he can’t sell them their value is 0c or possibly less since they’re using up bank space.

Proud member of [BANK] my bank guild and [BANK](2) my other bank guild

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mystic.5934

then he might as well use them to salvage white items with that reasoning.
If you want to use them most efficiently, then everything I said holds.
If you care a moderate amount about efficiency, then only use BLSK on exotics that can drop inscription/insignia and have a valuable socket.
If you only care a little about efficiency, then only use BLSK to salvage exotics.
The choice is up to you. There is never a time when free BLSK will give less than free MSK or free CSK.

Speaking from experience, I was swimming in BLSK when I first started playing. I wanted to save them for special occasions, but found that those occasions just happen to happen so infrequently that I’ll never run out of BLSK, so I started using them on rares. Then I ran out, and didn’t have one for when I did want to salvage an exotic.
One of those cases of: I could get an extra 10s now, or I could get an extra 50s tomorrow, or I could get an extra 1g in a week, or I could get an extra 5g in a month.