The Gem Conversion Rate, What Just Happened?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rialen.1524

Rialen.1524

https://www.gw2tp.com/gems

Check the link if you want, the attached image is just a picture of the conversion chart. So my question is, what just happened? This isn’t Halloween 2014, that’s improbable. It isn’t the foil raffle, not with that spike. Is it the Gem Conversion Update? Did ArenaNet artificially increase the Gem Conversion rate? If the latter, what kind of repercussions are we looking at? You can’t just drastically increase the value of a currency with no negative effects.

What do you guys think?

Attachments:

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

"This webpage is not available" I can’t seem to access gw2tp.com right now...

https://api.guildwars2.com/v2/commerce/exchange/gems?quantity=10000
{"coins_per_gem":1424,"quantity":14241082}
which would mean 100 gems cost 14g24s

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

I have no idea what happened, but this increase, happing parallel to the remove of the graph-display ingame, smells fishy.
I’d like to get a official response to why this spike occurred just now and in such intensity.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I have no idea what happened, but this increase, happing parallel to the remove of the graph-display ingame, smells fishy.
I’d like to get a official response to why this spike occurred just now and in such intensity.

This spike occurred because lots of people bought gems with gold, which is quite common, when a new patch goes live.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

This spike occurred because lots of people bought gems with gold, which is quite common, when a new patch goes live.

And on top of it they likely had to buy more than they needed due to the new exchange. We all know the more gems are bought, the quicker the rate goes up. Another lovely side effect brought to you by Exchange 2.0™, more severe spikes.

Bright side, if there is one, the spike was big enough to recover your gold if you bought before the patch hit. Not so much anymore as the rate is recovering.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Yeah, I made a post about this on the main forum. Still, it’s extraordinary just how BIG the jump was, and it actually lends strength to the arguments of the players who took offense to the claim that “players who buy gems in quantities below 400 are low”.

Still, latest word is that they are looking at changing the UI and putting in an option to buy/sell custom gem amounts, so let’s put down the torches and pitchforks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Noobix.3958

Noobix.3958

Well I can guarantee you that I’m not a part of this increase. I’m boycotting gem purchases until the UI is in such a state that I’m happy with it and I believe again in the good intentions of Anet/Ncsoft.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shylark.4951

Shylark.4951

Life is just a Big Role Playing Adventure…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

This thread is more about the spike and it’s causes than discussing the new exchange. Yes the two are tightly coupled but we will be getting a resolution to the design oversight sometime in the near™ future.

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

What do you guys think?

I think you’re making baseless claims due to the fact that you don’t understand how the Gem Exchange works.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

greed happened. nothing unexpected.
raise minimum border for gem acquirement → higher gem flow → higher gem price → more incentive to convert gems to gold → more moneyz for anet/ncsoft

similar minimums may exist when taking loans in order to guarantee a minimal gain (that the bank deems lucrative) for the bank/shark/whatever or buying into investment-fonds, trusts, etc.

“no pennies, dollars or gtfo”

(edited by zaced.7948)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The fact that this jump was 10x more than any previous jump associated with any patch I’m going to say this was price manipulation (or a bug) introduced with the changing of the gem conversion UI.

There is simply no other reasonable explanation. There was no big hype or super awesome items introduced in this patch to explain such a spike. Even the beloved SAB didn’t introduce half as big a spike, and the population is certainly much smaller now.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

The population does not matter as long as the ratio between gem to gold and gold to gem traders stays the same.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

To save others from the search I just went through, here is the official response Zaxares mentioned:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Lets-talk-about-the-new-Gem-conversion-Merged/page/34#post4507962

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

The fact that this jump was 10x more than any previous jump associated with any patch I’m going to say this was price manipulation (or a bug) introduced with the changing of the gem conversion UI.

There is simply no other reasonable explanation. There was no big hype or super awesome items introduced in this patch to explain such a spike. Even the beloved SAB didn’t introduce half as big a spike, and the population is certainly much smaller now.

Really? It was roughly a 30.2% surge over 3 hours. When the anniversary sale hit at the end of August the surge was 24.8% in 3 hours. It’s not unheard of.

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Alfwyn.8704

Alfwyn.8704

A minor factor may be that you can’t see that easily that it is a current spike when buying gems. Before you might have waited just a day or two if it looks like a spike, now you have to watch the gem price regularily to do that or use a 3rd party site.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

Not that difficult. I have one bookmarked for quite some time now. It was more useful than the one provided by the old exchange. Spidy was better but that broke mid August when the reported rates drifted away from their actual values.

https://www.gw2tp.com/gems

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It looks like prices have settled back down from their peak. (Alas for me, since by the time I got back home, I could only sell 100 gems for 12g. Since that’s below my new sell point, I passed on it for now.)

The interesting thing to see is if gem prices have reached a new permanent higher plateau, or whether they’ll fall back to below 100 gems for 10g as it did after the 2nd Anniversary sale.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

It’s not about trying to “beat the system”, it’s about controlling how much you are willing to buy and sell at one time. The “new” system takes that away and says you can only buy and sell specific amounts. So ANet took away control from the players and presented options they thought were reasonable. The way parents curate their kids Halloween haul.

Now ANet has said that they are modifying this new exchange to allow players to once again have control as well as having predetermined exchange choices and according to a recent post from Gaile, it will be reasonably quick. My anger has subsided and now I’m simply biding time until control is once again returned to me.

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: NonToxic.9185

NonToxic.9185

They knew I was on the fence about my gems→gold purchase, and decided to give me a push!

(edited by NonToxic.9185)