A-net dissapointed in lack of Charr

in Charr

Posted by: Namica.2951

Namica.2951

Old article but still relavent:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/16/guild-wars-2-designer/

So they are disappointed that more people roll human rather than say, Charr or Asura.

Couldn’t possibly be because the armor issue. Oh no no.

in Charr

Posted by: kingbread.6174

kingbread.6174

best example of kittenty armor, Aetherblade armor on Charr. Especially the shoulders.

in Charr

Posted by: Brumen.9720

Brumen.9720

Uhm … i’ll try to be serious cause this is gettin really ridiculous.

Anyway after readin this i’ll stop to post in Charr section, regardin armor clippin issues.
I lost all my hopes.
What kind of coffee and beverage do they drink at Anet vending machine?
Try to change supplier guys, really.

Charr need no gods !

in Charr

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

Yeah, for example I bought the Teir 3 medium armor for my Charr yesterday (which cost 30 gold) only to find out it makes my characters weapons stick about hand width away for my characters body.

That’s the armor made for Charr. The rest of stuff I think they just stretch. I know translating coats would be difficult but one of the coats has split up the back already so could be tweaked to have the split higher to allow for the tail but they didn’t even do that. Since they don’t want to make more separate race cultural armour I don’t think this situation is going to improve.

Attachments:

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

in Charr

Posted by: Vodac.9742

Vodac.9742

I always laugh when this article resurfaces xD I think its worth noting that this was a individual comment made by the writer of the game who probably has no say in the design of the armor or the fact that our tails get clipped.

Its the WRITER’s opinion that he is disappointed that most choose human or norn, because in his opinion he sees the lore behind the charr and the asura to be a lot more unique and rich in the grand scheme of the fantasy. I have to agree with him. Human story is pretty much the same in every fantasy universe and anyone who has played skyrim can understand the norn. Beyond that, sylvari is very similar to most elf stories.

The charr and the asura are unique products of this game and I at least haven’t seen repeated in most fantasy universes.

in Charr

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Well, I suppose they at least did better than throwing cat heads on human bodies. If only the Elder Scrolls developers weren’t that lazy.

in Charr

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

Whenever they want to focus on the asura and charr models for armor or if they got time. They really need to have different armor sets for the asura and charr females. Regardless of their anatomy it should be a bit diverse between the two genders because every other race besides those 2 have different set armors for each gender. That’s their first step into versatility and then they can focus on armor clipping issues, animation and just plain better looking armors for the 2 races.

Pineapples

in Charr

Posted by: Drakkon.4782

Drakkon.4782

Whenever they want to focus on the asura and charr models for armor or if they got time. They really need to have different armor sets for the asura and charr females. Regardless of their anatomy it should be a bit diverse between the two genders because every other race besides those 2 have different set armors for each gender. That’s their first step into versatility and then they can focus on armor clipping issues, animation and just plain better looking armors for the 2 races.

I disagree on the Charr front. The Charr don’t differentiate their genders like other races. There are few physical differences, no large blobs of clingy fat to work around, no real difference in leg mass, arm mass, or even head mass. Aside from a set or two of horns and lion-tuft vs all-fuzzy tail, there is little to set them apart, and the Charr reflect that in their armor. Both genders go to war, both can be heavy warriors or light casters, and everything in between, and so they present the most unified military front of any race in the game. They easily accomplish the goal of making all their soldiers look alike, which is the meaning of the word ‘uniform’. I don’t want, nor see a need for, any changes in armor based on gender.

Tony said it best: “Oh, my god, you’re a female! I honestly didn’t know. But I suppose that’s what we’ve been working towards, isn’t it? Now that I know, I honestly can’t stop looking at you. You have really well defined cheek bones.”

Of course, Vasquez and Hudson also seem to have the best exchange about it a decade and change earlier: “Hey, Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?” “No, have you?”

Of course, the very differences, or lack-thereof, that attract me to the Charr are probably the same things that are off-putting to a number of younger players who aren’t prepared to look at anything that doesn’t have huge bubbly breasts. I don’t know, as I can only speak for myself, and I like the Charr. I have three of them. And one of every other race. Had I the ability, I’d play a few more Asura, too. I like the little sociopathic egomaniacs.

“People don’t hate Scarlet the way Game of Thrones
fans hate Joffrey. They hate her the way Star Wars
fans hate Jar Jar Binks.”-not a direct quote, but still true.

in Charr

Demented Sheep.1642

I don’t agree, at least not where the Charr are concerned because they don’t really seem to have much difference between gender culturally. The women fill the same roles as the men and they are a practical solider race with the emphasis more on cohesive groups rather than individuality. No need for the armor to be different.

in Charr

Brutalistik.6473

What the heck are you guys talking about? Big boobs and cultural stuff? I’m just saying they should have different armor sets from the males than being the same. Nothing wrong with diverse, but I’m getting the feeling that’s a taboo on the charr race only and no one else. Such a shame, but if that’s what the minority wants then so be it.

Female charr armor sets doesn’t have to be provocative if that’s what you guys had in mind. I just want it to have a different design and not the same as male charrs. I’m pretty darn sure the developers can make it happen and possibly would do it in the future because things never stay the same.

I’ll still support this idea because I like seeing new creative designs. It’ll make the female charr model armor sets more unique than mundane.

Pineapples

in Charr

Drakkon.4782

What the heck are you guys talking about? Big boobs and cultural stuff? I’m just saying they should have different armor sets from the males than being the same.

And I’m saying that you’re wrong. Not only isn’t it appropriate from a physiological stance, it is also culturally wrong for the Charr. There aren’t any reasons for the Charr to make differentiated armor for males and females, which allows them to mass produce their armor because one type fits all. Limited/no dimorphism means that customizations aren’t required. That suits a military-minded race perfectly.

Simply put, there’s nothing for you to make look different, because physically there are no differences to accentuate/compensate for. Respectfully, for the Charr at least, you’re completely off-base.

in Charr

Brutalistik.6473

What the heck are you guys talking about? Big boobs and cultural stuff? I’m just saying they should have different armor sets from the males than being the same.

And I’m saying that you’re wrong. Not only isn’t it appropriate from a physiological stance, it is also culturally wrong for the Charr. There aren’t any reasons for the Charr to make differentiated armor for males and females, which allows them to mass produce their armor because one type fits all. Limited/no dimorphism means that customizations aren’t required. That suits a military-minded race perfectly.

Simply put, there’s nothing for you to make look different, because physically there are no differences to accentuate/compensate for. Respectfully, for the Charr at least, you’re completely off-base.

I think you need to think outside the box for a bit. I’m not wrong nor completely off-base. You could say you just disagree with my idea which would of been more appropriate to say than what you just said. What I don’t understand or whats in your mind is how are you viewing this scenario about the change in female charr armor sets. I mean like what comes to mind when I am talking about these stuff?

Let’s forget about this lore cultural nonsense for a bit and think about the video game itself. Do you think GW2 would keep everything the same within the next 5 years with female charrs / asura having the same armor sets as the males?

Trust me my discussion will be brought up numerous of times by others if nothing had change by then. This could be the exact reason why not many players play the charr race nor the asura a lot. Majority of the people wouldn’t care about the lore anyway because what they want is diverse and visualization.

Pineapples

(edited by Brutalistik.6473)

in Charr

Drakkon.4782

I think you need to think outside the box for a bit. I’m not wrong nor completely off-base. You could say you just disagree with my idea which would of been more appropriate to say than what you just said. What I don’t understand or whats in your mind is how are you viewing this scenario about the change in female charr armor sets. I mean like what comes to mind when I am talking about these stuff?

Yes, wrong is the wrong word, but I am the one thinking outside the box, or, rather, I’m the one agreeing with ANet thinking outside the box. Every other game makes females of a given race different from the males, and, the same as one another. They all have human breasts, human hips, human hair, and they all look like humans in funny suits. I’ve grown very tired of it.

Neither Asura nor Charr females have human-like breasts. Asura females have better hips than males, but they aren’t exaggerated. I applaud ANet for taking the risk on creating the Charr and Asura and making them different from humans.

The Sylvari are human-like Barbies. Females have fictional breasts, males are like Ken dolls. Generic, inside the box, but at least they have a lore-based reason to be pseudo-asexual.

Norn are just big muscular humans. Inside the box thinking at it’s worst.

So I prefer the Charr and Asura, and the Char in particular. If I wasn’t so invested, time-wise in my Norn, Human and Sylvari characters, I would re-roll all of them as Charr. And I want to experience their racial stories.

But as for the armor, I have issues with the armor for Charr that have nothing to do with sexual dimorphism. On that front, they are perfectly suited, and their suits are perfect. I agree to disagree with you.

Let’s forget about this lore cultural nonsense for a bit and think about the video game itself. Do you think GW2 would keep everything the same within the next 5 years with female charrs / asura having the same armor sets as the males?

You’re not a GW1 player, are you?

Trust me my discussion will be brought up numerous of times by others if nothing had change by then. This could be the exact reason why not many players play the charr race nor the asura a lot. Majority of the people wouldn’t care about the lore anyway because what they want is diverse and visualization.

Sadly, for your argument, these are the exact reasons I like playing the Charr and Asura. Saying I would quit playing if they changed them to make them less different from other races holds no weight, since there’s no subscription to actually cancel, but symbolically, I would prefer not to quit playing if they did something as stupid as make the Charr females look more human-like. It would lose a lot of the flavor and uniqueness that is part of the attraction to play GW2, even if every race isn’t for everyone.

To put this on the other foot, how about they change the Norn, Sylvari and Humans to be less human-like because too many people are playing them? Sounds like a ridiculous argument, doesn’t it? It’s actually similar to what you’re proposing, and it will kitten off players who play the Asura and Charr for their unique flavor.

in Charr

Brutalistik.6473

Yes, wrong is the wrong word, but I am the one thinking outside the box, or, rather, I’m the one agreeing with ANet thinking outside the box. Every other game makes females of a given race different from the males, and, the same as one another. They all have human breasts, human hips, human hair, and they all look like humans in funny suits. I’ve grown very tired of it.

Neither Asura nor Charr females have human-like breasts. Asura females have better hips than males, but they aren’t exaggerated. I applaud ANet for taking the risk on creating the Charr and Asura and making them different from humans.

The Sylvari are human-like Barbies. Females have fictional breasts, males are like Ken dolls. Generic, inside the box, but at least they have a lore-based reason to be pseudo-asexual.

So I prefer the Charr and Asura, and the Char in particular. If I wasn’t so invested, time-wise in my Norn, Human and Sylvari characters, I would re-roll all of them as Charr. And I want to experience their racial stories.

But as for the armor, I have issues with the armor for Charr that have nothing to do with sexual dimorphism. On that front, they are perfectly suited, and their suits are perfect. I agree to disagree with you.

Sadly, for your argument, these are the exact reasons I like playing the Charr and Asura. Saying I would quit playing if they changed them to make them less different from other races holds no weight, since there’s no subscription to actually cancel, but symbolically, I would prefer not to quit playing if they did something as stupid as make the Charr females look more human-like. It would lose a lot of the flavor and uniqueness that is part of the attraction to play GW2, even if every race isn’t for everyone.

To put this on the other foot, how about they change the Norn, Sylvari and Humans to be less human-like because too many people are playing them? Sounds like a ridiculous argument, doesn’t it? It’s actually similar to what you’re proposing, and it will kitten off players who play the Asura and Charr for their unique flavor.

Why are you thinking about race anatomy when I am thinking about different armor sets for the female charrs and asuras? What does all this other info has to do with them having different armor sets than the males?

All I am asking and supporting is that they can have armor sets meaning different patterns on their armor than the males. That way it won’t be identical so I do not see anything wrong with that suggestion. Why does lore have to be involved in this? If a charr wants a different design on their armor to look different from the rest. Then they will go to a blacksmith that will customize it for them and probably tip them off too for doing a great job.

I guess you can say I am seeing this idea from designer’s perspective?

Pineapples

in Charr

Posted by: Zeph.5927

Zeph.5927

It couldn’t possibly have anything to do with the fact that most of the armor sets in-game look kittening stupid on Charr…..oh no, it couldn’t be that! Until Anet stops being so kittening lazy with armor design in regards to Charr, there will continue to be people who refuse to play them.

in Charr

Demented Sheep.1642

Why are you thinking about race anatomy when I am thinking about different armor sets for the female charrs and asuras? What does all this other info has to do with them having different armor sets than the males?

All I am asking and supporting is that they can have armor sets meaning different patterns on their armor than the males. That way it won’t be identical so I do not see anything wrong with that suggestion. Why does lore have to be involved in this? If a charr wants a different design on their armor to look different from the rest. Then they will go to a blacksmith that will customize it for them and probably tip them off too for doing a great job.

Wouldn’t it better just to have wider range of not kittenty looking armor with clipping issues available to both genders rather than focusing on differentiating them when there is no physical or lore reason and the base we already have is bad?

Not to mention if they do that no doubt I’d end up wanting the opposites gender armor cause it looks better.

in Charr

Brutalistik.6473

It couldn’t possibly have anything to do with the fact that most of the armor sets in-game look kittening stupid on Charr…..oh no, it couldn’t be that! Until Anet stops being so kittening lazy with armor design in regards to Charr, there will continue to be people who refuse to play them.

From what I see they’re too busy with new armor / weapon skins at the moment than to focus on armor clipping problems with charrs.

Wouldn’t it better just to have wider range of not kittenty looking armor with clipping issues available to both genders rather than focusing on differentiating them when there is no physical or lore reason and the base we already have is bad?

Not to mention if they do that no doubt I’d end up wanting the opposites gender armor cause it looks better.

I rather have both solution solved excluding the physical / lore nonsense. Not sure why that needs to be added in discussion when all that’s being suggested are different armor sets for the female asuras / charrs.

Pineapples

in Charr

Zeph.5927

Screw having different armor between male and female charr. Just fix the kitten armor we already have!

in Charr

Brutalistik.6473

Screw having different armor between male and female charr. Just fix the kitten armor we already have!

Are you saying they aren’t capable of doing both o.O? Are they that bad?

Pineapples

in Charr

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

They really need to have different armor sets for the asura and charr females.

Could not disagree more. Gendered armor makes my blood boil every time I see a neat design on a male character that becomes unrecognizable on a woman, or a practical suit of armor that turns into “teats, garters, frills, and a giftwrap bow on the butt” fetish wear. I am beyond sick and tired of it, and it is one primary reason for why I love the charr, clipping and all: not only do female charr not look like furry fanservice (unlike say the worgen in WoW) as a result I also don’t have to deal with all those gendered armor issues.

Even if gendered armor on charr would not be the same sexualized BS other species get — and it would not be, since there are no boobs to drool over, thankfully — it would still annoy me. There’s no reason for it. Instead of forcing gendered outfits on people, there should be more armor to choose from for everyone, skimpy or practical, regal or whimsical, regardless of gender.

THAT is how they would achieve the greater visual diversity among characters that you want, and that I want too.

in Charr

Brutalistik.6473

Wow..umm I’m just asking for different armor sets for the females and they don’t even have to be provocative, but you guys already assuming it’s going to lead to that already because that’s all you guys are focusing on. If the male has a flame design full body plate armor set then let the females have a meteor design full plate body armor set.

I’m not going to even get into this silly debate about some furry fanservice on a different game. WoW is already cartoony as it is, but since you guys like to talk about lore and all. Worgens were humans anyway so that’s to be expected why they got a body like that. That’s pretty logical to me and will not go further than that thought.

Seriously guys you letting me down now with all these automatic assumptions on female charrs on what they can have and not have even if it’s not towards that direction.

Pineapples

in Charr

Posted by: Shagaz.6209

Shagaz.6209

- Ugly armors, clipping issues etc.

- Constant problems with camera.

- The whole running on all 4 is really bad, it makes me feel very clunky and slow (like I was running in slow-motion), makes jumping puzzles harder. Worgen from WoW also run on all 4 but in their case it’s a ‘mount’ with a speedboost, thus it doesn’t look so bad.

- Lore looked promising but proved to be kinda bad (IMO of course), the whole “victory at all cost” is never shown, charr don’t use their technology like tanks etc. they prefer to shoot everything with mortars, just TOO MUCH jokes and I don’t mean in-character jokes, just giant amounts of RL-reference jokes and memes (can i haz a cheeseburger, etc.)

- annoying racial mentor, Rytlock seems like he’s trying to look cool way too hard, not to mention his constant whining, being jerkish to everyone and not doing anything (I’m serious, Rytlock does the least from all DE members, in game at least, he just gives orders, while even Logan does something on his own) Pyre would eat him on breakfast.

- generally when I made my first charr I was thinking more in terms of EotN charr, who were fierce, brutal and honorful. These new charr look like a bunch of kittens (no censorship here) in comparison.

Just in case, charr was my first character.

(edited by Shagaz.6209)

in Charr

Drakkon.4782

Because the two are linked, inextricably. Why can’t you see that? What’s wrong with you?

There’s no point to your suggestion, no basis to make such a decision, and no possible advantage to making the the change.

No, you’re no designer. You’re just a fanboy who had a different idea and are trying to get people to support it. If you were looking at this from a designer perspective, you would take every single player who picks a Charr to play as a success and wouldn’t be looking for horrible ways to fold the race back into the template that destroys people’s desire to play a different race by making it not different. To put it succinctly, the Charr are different because they’re undifferentiated, and that’s a good thing. Wanting them to be something different would make them the same as every other race, and that’s bad. They’re square pegs, not round ones. They won’t fit in your round hole.

I can get behind this easily. Without the raging, of course. They should spend more time fixing the clipping issues, particularly with the tails. They have no need to spend any time or effort on making sexually differentiated armors. For me, not even after they fix the armors so they don’t look so bad.

in Charr

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

Brutalistik, the problem with gender-based armor, even if it has lots of variety and is totally unsexualized, is this…

Essentially, it sounds like you’re saying that it’s more important to offer real-world players variety, than follow the fake, in-game charr culture (where there wouldn’t be gendered armor). That’s a sensible argument, since real-world preference should take precedence over in-game unrealism, in a game trying to appeal to the public. Since you’re arguing from a real-life perspective, so will I.

In real life, gender has been used to divide people and discriminate against them. From sexism in the workplace, to blue=male/pink=female, to our everyday behavior—it’s all determined by our sex, usually whether we like it or not. Although women have traditionally been the oppressed group, society’s strict rules about gender are annoying and restricting to both sexes. For the most part, we can’t even escape this in video games—our characters are forced to look and act a certain way based on their gender. There may be lots of armor variety, but even this variety is restricted—for example, male characters cannot wear dresses or hypersexual outfits, and female characters cannot wear some male armors, because they get “Sexy gear” instead.

A game should be an escape from the annoyances and troubles of everyday life. The way society restricts people based on gender is one of those annoyances. Guild Wars 2, at last, has offered us an escape from this through the charr. The charr have no gender roles or stereotypes. They aren’t limited like we are. It is incredibly liberating, to be able to wear and do whatever you want, in spite of your gender. In charr-land, nobody cares if something is “manly” or “girly”. It’s fun.

To take that escape away, in favor of variety restricted by gender, would be a mistake.

in Charr

Chadramar.8156

@Weindrasi: very well said. This is a huge part of the charr’s appeal to me. While the other species are designed as having egalitarian cultures as well, the gendered armor flies in the face of that. Also, gendered armor always smacks of “men are the default” to me. Why can’t armor be armor, instead of (default/male) armor and “female armor”?

I want choices in what my characters wear, what I don’t want is to have a giant HEY LOOK IT’S A GIRL! sign forced on me, even if that sign does not include hanging my character’s T&A out.

in Charr

Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik, the problem with gender-based armor, even if it has lots of variety and is totally unsexualized, is this…

Essentially, it sounds like you’re saying that it’s more important to offer real-world players variety, than follow the fake, in-game charr culture (where there wouldn’t be gendered armor). That’s a sensible argument, since real-world preference should take precedence over in-game unrealism, in a game trying to appeal to the public. Since you’re arguing from a real-life perspective, so will I.

In real life, gender has been used to divide people and discriminate against them. From sexism in the workplace, to blue=male/pink=female, to our everyday behavior—it’s all determined by our sex, usually whether we like it or not. Although women have traditionally been the oppressed group, society’s strict rules about gender are annoying and restricting to both sexes. For the most part, we can’t even escape this in video games—our characters are forced to look and act a certain way based on their gender. There may be lots of armor variety, but even this variety is restricted—for example, male characters cannot wear dresses or hypersexual outfits, and female characters cannot wear some male armors, because they get “Sexy gear” instead.

A game should be an escape from the annoyances and troubles of everyday life. The way society restricts people based on gender is one of those annoyances. Guild Wars 2, at last, has offered us an escape from this through the charr. The charr have no gender roles or stereotypes. They aren’t limited like we are. It is incredibly liberating, to be able to wear and do whatever you want, in spite of your gender. In charr-land, nobody cares if something is “manly” or “girly”. It’s fun.

To take that escape away, in favor of variety restricted by gender, would be a mistake.

Okay I can agree to that since it’s standardized and plus the fact it’ll probably take more work to make different sets for them anyway which wouldn’t be necessary.

No, you’re no designer. You’re just a fanboy who had a different idea and are trying to get people to support it. If you were looking at this from a designer perspective, you would take every single player who picks a Charr to play as a success and wouldn’t be looking for horrible ways to fold the race back into the template that destroys people’s desire to play a different race by making it not different. To put it succinctly, the Charr are different because they’re undifferentiated, and that’s a good thing. Wanting them to be something different would make them the same as every other race, and that’s bad. They’re square pegs, not round ones. They won’t fit in your round hole.

I can say I’m seeing it from both views, If I was lead designer and I designed this race to be a certain way to be different from the others. Then that’s what my team would do. I can say if I am to face myself now like the ones doing the suggesting. My first thought will be this is going to take too much time. It’s like starting over from scratch with more armor clipping problems.

The best solution is just add more armor skins to the game while creating story content so my customers won’t lose interestd. Story vs Cosmetics.

Pineapples

in Charr

Zeph.5927

Brutalistik, you just don’t get it.

Female charr will never and should never have different looking armor from the males. That’s the lore behind it, and to change that now would be idiotic and make zero sense. Just because YOU and maybe a select few others want it that way, DOES NOT mean it should be that way. If Anet makes a change like what you’re suggesting, then shame on them. If you can’t grasp the simple logic on why female charr armor looks the same as male charr armor, then maybe you should be playing Hello Kitty Online instead of GW2. This isn’t about what a select few players want in real life, it’s about the established lore and story of the game, which makes PERFECT sense to most of us. Obviously not you, but thank god Anet hasn’t listened to your idiotic suggestion yet (and hopefully they don’t).

That being said, Charr armor DOES need to be fixed with all the clipping issues and the simple fact that most armor looks idiotic on the Charr models. They need to start designing armors from the ground up with Charr in mind instead of just making it for humans and then stretching it over a Charr body. It’s pure and simple laziness and it shows.

in Charr

Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik, you just don’t get it.

Female charr will never and should never have different looking armor from the males. That’s the lore behind it, and to change that now would be idiotic and make zero sense. Just because YOU and maybe a select few others want it that way, DOES NOT mean it should be that way. If Anet makes a change like what you’re suggesting, then shame on them. If you can’t grasp the simple logic on why female charr armor looks the same as male charr armor, then maybe you should be playing Hello Kitty Online instead of GW2. This isn’t about what a select few players want in real life, it’s about the established lore and story of the game, which makes PERFECT sense to most of us. Obviously not you, but thank god Anet hasn’t listened to your idiotic suggestion yet (and hopefully they don’t).

That being said, Charr armor DOES need to be fixed with all the clipping issues and the simple fact that most armor looks idiotic on the Charr models. They need to start designing armors from the ground up with Charr in mind instead of just making it for humans and then stretching it over a Charr body. It’s pure and simple laziness and it shows.

You totally misread my last post and for that you don’t get any reward points. Why change something now that’s been running smooth for a while. They’ve been adding armor skins anyway in the game since the beginning if you want to look different. I understood what Drakkon and Wien said. They’ve gave good points and I thought about it if I was working for a company. I wouldn’t accept my suggestion idea on F armor sets for charrs / asuras because it’ll be too much work plus the fact I’ll have to deal with sexy this and manly that argument. Not worth the headache.

Pineapples

in Charr

Demented Sheep.1642

Even if it didn’t end up falling into gender stereotypes if you are going to have more options for variety sake there really isn’t any reason to make more options and then go out of your way to gender lock it when the actual body shape is the same and you could easily just give everyone the choice of those options.

in Charr

Chadramar.8156

Stop it with the personal insults . I very much disagree with Brutalisk and ABSOLUTELY HATE gendered armor and gender stereotypes with an undying passion, but that is no excuse for vomiting abusive BS at each other.

in Charr

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

Different armour for male and female Charr would not work not only because of the limited dimorphism but for social reasons. For anyone to try to impose differing gender roles on the Charr would be met with great suspicion and resistance due to the fact that under the Flame Legion the women were subordinated and reduced solely to domestic labour. You try to assign differing roles or norms and they’d think you’re part of the flame legion which continues to be the only legion that is patriarchal.

in Charr

Posted by: WhiteRose.6934

WhiteRose.6934

Stop it with the personal insults . I very much disagree with Brutalisk and ABSOLUTELY HATE gendered armor and gender stereotypes with an undying passion, but that is no excuse for vomiting abusive BS at each other.

Thank you. I don’t have an opinion on the matter frankly, but seeing everyone resort to insults such as “You should be playing Hello Kitty Online instead” is sickening and you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Someone having an opinion that is not the same as yours is not ‘wrong’, they simply have a different view than yours and if you can’t have a civilized discussion about the two sides then please drop the topic entirely.

Genesis Theory [GT] – Henge of Denravi

in Charr

Zeph.5927

Thank you. I don’t have an opinion on the matter frankly, but seeing everyone resort to insults such as “You should be playing Hello Kitty Online instead” is sickening and you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Someone having an opinion that is not the same as yours is not ‘wrong’, they simply have a different view than yours and if you can’t have a civilized discussion about the two sides then please drop the topic entirely.

Maybe I shouldn’t have used the Hello Kitty Online part, but I still stand by my point. To change the armor or to even suggest that it be changed IS stupid from the established lore aspect of the game. And considering more people like the fact that charr armor is the same for both male and female, it’s safe to say that gender different armor is in the minority and should be all together ignored.

Having an opinion is fine. Wishing that opinion would make a change that the vast majority of people would hate? Not fine. It irritates me to no end when people want to kitten all over a game’s lore just because of a personal preference. If they want that, then they can go make their own game, the way they want it to be made. Until then, deal with the lore or gtfo.

in Charr

Drakkon.4782

Maybe I shouldn’t have used the Hello Kitty Online part, but I still stand by my point. To change the armor or to even suggest that it be changed IS stupid from the established lore aspect of the game. And considering more people like the fact that charr armor is the same for both male and female, it’s safe to say that gender different armor is in the minority and should be all together ignored.

Whoa, there. Just because you’re correct in your estimation tht the u8ndifferentiated armor is the preferred style for the Charr, from both an aestetic and a lore standpoint, doesn’t mean that the opinions that vary from that should be ignored. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, which is neither right nor wrong. Your opinion is, in fact, the only thing in this life you ARE entitled to. It should not be ignored, even if you don’t agree with someone else. I don’t agree with his opinions, but at least my discussion with him has been about his logic, not that he holds the opinions, and I while I might have claimed he should drop his suggestions, I have never said his opinion should be ignored. His logic is flawed, but he is allowed to feel as he wishes.

Having an opinion is fine. Wishing that opinion would make a change that the vast majority of people would hate? Not fine. It irritates me to no end when people want to kitten all over a game’s lore just because of a personal preference. If they want that, then they can go make their own game, the way they want it to be made. Until then, deal with the lore or gtfo.

ANet won’t change the game based on a minority opinion that makes no sense, has no basis in lore, and has little support from only a fringe of people at the edge. There’s no reason to get that bent out of shape about a game.

Please, calm down. People are getting way too excited about something this inconsequential. It’s a game. Relax. Lives don’t depend on it.

Jeez, I can’t believe I’m the voice calling for calm.

in Charr

Posted by: Garr.1823

Garr.1823

Charr pay to much attention to himself in mass pvp. My girlfriend play charr necro, and in GvG (and mass pvp) she took much more damage then other necro in our team, cause all of them play asura or humans. When she changed her character size to minimum (for charr), damage on her reduced. Simple statistic, but fact.
That’s people psychology, bigger model – bigger threat, easier to target, etc =) U can do nothing with it.

in Charr

Brutalistik.6473

Charr pay to much attention to himself in mass pvp. My girlfriend play charr necro, and in GvG (and mass pvp) she took much more damage then other necro in our team, cause all of them play asura or humans. When she changed her character size to minimum (for charr), damage on her reduced. Simple statistic, but fact.
That’s people psychology, bigger model – bigger threat, easier to target, etc =) U can do nothing with it.

Not many people like charrs anyway in my opinion which is another reason why they go for them first. I get that pvp treatment all the time, but luckily thanks to good teammates and my whirlwind during GvG. As long the enemies focus on me my team will succeed and if they don’t they feel my wrath lol.

Pineapples

in Charr

Posted by: WhiteRose.6934

WhiteRose.6934

In any light, I love the charr, and have 2 myself. I prefer for my characters to have a hint of femininity to them (sue me, I like being able to relate to my characters) and it’s not impossible to do with the charr. I mean, you can’t say that she’s not pretty.

Attachments:

Genesis Theory [GT] – Henge of Denravi

(edited by WhiteRose.6934)

in Charr

Posted by: Garr.1823

Garr.1823

Not many people like charrs anyway in my opinion which is another reason why they go for them first. I get that pvp treatment all the time, but luckily thanks to good teammates and my whirlwind during GvG. As long the enemies focus on me my team will succeed and if they don’t they feel my wrath lol.

But i’m rerolling from sylvari mesmer to charr mesmer. And… Very few good light armor for males (imo t1 only) , and is i said – charr got more agro, so it will be harder to play… (but this is a fun part, but still less combat advantage)

in Charr

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I don’t agree, at least not where the Charr are concerned because they don’t really seem to have much difference between gender culturally. The women fill the same roles as the men and they are a practical solider race with the emphasis more on cohesive groups rather than individuality. No need for the armor to be different.

A lot of female charr players want their armour to be more feminine. It’s why you see so many female charr and asura running around in the TA armour – because the male version looks like a dress.

At some point there has to be a compromise between what is practical and what players want. There is a reason that boob plate armour exists, and it’s not because it’s practical.

But yeah, ArenaNet can’t complain about the charr being unpopular when all the armour in the game was designed for human body types. Unless you’re a heavy charr, your options are slim, and if you’re a medium charr… well good luck. Trenchcoats look awful on charr and the clipping issues show that almost no effort was put into making the armour fit the race – especially when it’s racial armour.

When new armour comes out I really hope ArenaNet stops trying to fit charr into the mold of the humans and starts designing armour specifically for the charr. If the achievement point armour is anything to go by though, it’s time to reroll. It’s going to get a lot worse from here. I recently made the painful decision to reroll my charr ranger simply because I got kitten ed off with every armour set in the game looking like crud on him and being limited to a handful of options.

in Charr

Drakkon.4782

A lot of female charr players want their armour to be more feminine. It’s why you see so many female charr and asura running around in the TA armour – because the male version looks like a dress.

[Citation Required] Pulling “statistics” out of your kitten doesn’t improve your story. Qualatative Hyperbole like “A lot of” doesn’t mean that you’re right if you can’t back that up with a credible source for numbers. I’m not seeing a reason not to play a female charr because of the armor. I have a female charr character and I love her the way she is. I also have two male Charr, and I would prefer they didn’t have clipping issues with their tails, but they’re fine, too.

At some point there has to be a compromise between what is practical and what players want. There is a reason that boob plate armour exists, and it’s not because it’s practical.

Boob Plate exists to accomodate Boobs. kittens. Breasts. Charr females don’t have them. Not as huge as human females, anyway. No big boobs making a female top-heavy, no need for boob plate. Moving on.

But yeah, ArenaNet can’t complain about the charr being unpopular when all the armour in the game was designed for human body types. Unless you’re a heavy charr, your options are slim, and if you’re a medium charr… well good luck. Trenchcoats look awful on charr and the clipping issues show that almost no effort was put into making the armour fit the race – especially when it’s racial armour.

Trenchcoats do NOT look awful on anyone. The stretched textures look horrible on them, but they model, aside from the clipping tail, are very stylish. Some of them have some nice non-blurry low-rez textures.

When new armour comes out I really hope ArenaNet stops trying to fit charr into the mold of the humans and starts designing armour specifically for the charr. If the achievement point armour is anything to go by though, it’s time to reroll. It’s going to get a lot worse from here. I recently made the painful decision to reroll my charr ranger simply because I got kitten ed off with every armour set in the game looking like crud on him and being limited to a handful of options.

Good luck with your re-rolls. Stop trying to change a race you’re no longer interested in playing. We like them the way they are. Minds… not changing here.

in Charr

Brutalistik.6473

Meh don’t bother with the creative ideas about more feminine armor etc on the charr forums. You’ll get nothing, but criticism, insults and my view is right. A few will disagree with the idea without criticizing at all.

I’ll leave it to Anet to come up with future creative ideas if they want to add more * cosmetics * flavor to the game whatever they bring.

Pineapples

in Charr

Posted by: Ashes.9586

Ashes.9586

As a female player who plays a female Charr, I am quite happy with the fact that my character isn’t what I like to call “boobed out” with armor that is barely recognizable as the same set a male next to me is wearing. I don’t WANT people to instantly notice my character is female.
The Charr aren’t about gender they are about what you can do on the battle field, and the fact that my armor matches the males around me makes me feel like I am actually a part of the legions and a true companion of the Charr around me. I would HATE it if suddenly my character had some kinda frilly design on her armor and the males didn’t.

Now, I wouldn’t mind there being accessories of sorts like mane or horn decorations etc to say I was female, that would be something I could choose to display instead of automatic “YOU’RE A GIRL SO WEAR THIS CAUSE I SAID SO.” Now, if the previously stated frilly design was a CHOICE for an armor piece I wouldn’t mind it so much.

Basically to sum everything I said above is that it’s a matter of choice, I don’t want to be forced to state that I am a female through my armor, my face and horns are supposed to do that job.

The Legion Calls

in Charr

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

If they allowed race changing id be a charr =(

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Charr

Posted by: Ambrecombe.4398

Ambrecombe.4398

Well, I kinda like the Charrs.

My first character was one, and when I tried to make another race, I just couldn’t run past the story with them.
- Humans = Boring
- Norns = Boring
- Sylvaries = While the story and design is very interesting, I just couldn’t play a naive leaf man connected to a dream world with only a single purpose in its life…
- Asuras = Again very interesting story and design, but couldn’t play with them because they sounded like little egocentric children fighting over an over for no good reason…

So I made 4 other characters, all Charrs. Right now i’m building my fifth character, a female Charr elementalist and I love her voice acting (at least the french version ), her ferocity and just the fact I can have a family relation with the flame legion allowing me to throw fire and scortch earth into hellfire! Mouhahaha!

in Charr

Chadramar.8156

@Ashes: Complete agreement.

in Charr

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

I’ve heard the human bias of players to be true, and I guess the data verifies it.

Still, I don’t understand it. Why in the world would someone play a fantasy game just to be human? I for one jumped at the chance to be a giant, awesome cat beast.

in Charr

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I’ve heard the human bias of players to be true, and I guess the data verifies it.

Still, I don’t understand it. Why in the world would someone play a fantasy game just to be human? I for one jumped at the chance to be a giant, awesome cat beast.

Because people want to be as similar to themselves as possible, I personally only keep my blonde hair and green eyes from IRL on my characters, i just love playing bestial races too much to include anything else xD

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Charr

Demented Sheep.1642

And many like me do not. I don’t want my Charr looking “feminine”. I want her to look like she can rip your face off. Again if you want more variety give more variety with different sets but don’t tie it to gender for no other reason than “oh you’re playing a female therefore you must want something feminine or you’re playing a guy therefore you don’t”. Most the Charr I see wearing TA are male.

Hell the same should apply to human armor as well with the difference being to make it fit and look decent with the different body shapes but still looking like the same set and giving off the same vibe but that isn’t likely to happen.

in Charr

Posted by: Ashes.9586

Ashes.9586

A lot of female charr players want their armour to be more feminine.

I really want to know just where this statement comes from. Besides that you’ve seen people run around in a certain armor type.

And many like me do not. I don’t want my Charr looking “feminine”. I want her to look like she can rip your face off. Again if you want more variety give more variety with different sets but don’t tie it to gender for no other reason than “oh you’re playing a female therefore you must want something feminine or you’re playing a guy therefore you don’t”. Most the Charr I see wearing TA are male.

Hell the same should apply to human armor as well with the difference being to make it fit and look decent with the different body shapes but still looking like the same set and giving off the same vibe but that isn’t likely to happen.

^This right here, it’s just like I said before, if we play a female we don’t want to be FORCED to wear “female” armor.

The Legion Calls

(edited by Ashes.9586)

in Charr

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Charr females did get a different version of the Wintersday town clothes. It was so hilarious I had to buy one.