In my opinion: All Charr Armor is Terrible

in Charr

Posted by: Xokks.3876

Xokks.3876

All Charr armor is stretched or clipped poorly like it was never modeled really for the race and was made for humans then just distorted onto the Charr body.

Since I’ve maxed and there’s nothing left for me to do but grind aesthetic gear I find myself wanting to remake my entire character just so I can get armor that actually looks good.

Anet please turn my Charr into a Human.

in Charr

Posted by: Zyborg.4071

Zyborg.4071

Or patch the armor so it looks good

in Charr

Posted by: ThrottleFox.2735

ThrottleFox.2735

Go chest out medium arah exotic armor, that looks rather nice, there is even a part with the chest that runs down the tail, though I agree some armor looks really out of place on charr. Heritage armor looks just fine and I use that all the way to 80

in Charr

Posted by: Xokks.3876

Xokks.3876

The problem is all the armor is stretched / poorly clipped like it was never even meant to be on a Charr anyways. Although some of it would look good with different textures applied that aren’t stretched over top of the model.

It honestly looks so bad I just want to reroll into a human, but since I’ve made my Charr and max 4 professions / 100% world complete etc that is such a depressing thing to redo that it makes it hard to bother playing the game at all. Since the point of end game PvE is to get nice looking armor etc.

in Charr

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

I don’t think all of it is terrible, but the one beef i have is the male and female armor on a lot of the sets looks almost exactly the same and that kinda turns me off to a lot of the sets. One thing to remember though, this is just the tip of the iceberg for this game, there’s gonna be massive amounts of new content in the future and new content means new gear, so don’t give up hope yet ;-)

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Charr

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Arenanet was rather lazy about adapting the armor sets to Charr, that much is obvious. With that said there are a handfull of non-cultural armor sets that actually look good on Charr. For medium for example the Inquest, Ascalonian, and Duelist sets all work well, the tail even moves the material in the back so it’s been accounted for fully.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

in Charr

Posted by: MrNobody.4357

MrNobody.4357

I have the same problem, i wanted to play at least a heavy armour wearing class Charr, but most of the helms will make you look like Ser Shrek in knight armour.

Does anybody know a combination of sex/body type/face that can make this avoidable?

I tried picking the male huge-not fat body type, which has the good of not being so curved on the back as more muscular body types (i dislike hunchback posture :/), picking a short muzzled face and scaling it all the way down, but previewing armours from the vendors i end up feeling Shrek anyway…
It actually reminds me how bad and demential tauren and orks from wow looked in some heavy armour.

EDIT: made an album, nightmare court heavy armour is by far the worst, but if i’d try leather or cloth i’d find some hard challenger to the title of worst ever armour on a charr
http://imgur.com/a/bmf2W#0

(edited by MrNobody.4357)

in Charr

Posted by: Grizor.6543

Grizor.6543

They could have at least added a gap for the tails on skirted armour, it looks so bad with the clipping.

Not even mentioning helms.. /hide helm forever.

Grizor – Charr Engineer – Gandara

(edited by Grizor.6543)

in Charr

Posted by: Godunderscor.1086

Godunderscor.1086

Arenanet was rather lazy about adapting the armor sets to Charr, that much is obvious. With that said there are a handfull of non-cultural armor sets that actually look good on Charr. For medium for example the Inquest, Ascalonian, and Duelist sets all work well, the tail even moves the material in the back so it’s been accounted for fully.

Oh I hear ya.

Welcome to GW2 Charr Medium Armor,
where everything’s a trench coat and it all clips

Until the Charr get out of this ridiculous trench coat fad or at least learn to put in holes for their tails, it’s as you said: Dungeon and Racial armor only.

I don’t really have anything new to say, but I’m in the same “please set some time aside for this one Arena.net” boat.

in Charr

Posted by: xerca.6135

xerca.6135

The thing that bothers me most about armor on Charr is the shoulders. At least on medium armor, since that is the only thing I have used when it comes to Charr so far. A lot of them are just these big ugly pieces that hovers a bit over your shoulders and I always switch them for the HoM skin or just hide them.

in Charr

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

I don’t know, I liked the Flame Legion Armor as well as several other variants of metal and medium armor.

But Charr will look silly in light armor, that’s a racial.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Charr

MrNobody.4357

I’ve found this old thread on gwguru and the linked pictures made me sad about how charr now

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/9034-charr-with-different-body-structures/

Attachments:

in Charr

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

charr light armor:
Headpiece: Not a lot you can do here. I use the SE headpiece because I love the gasmask look, and although removal of the horns isnt the best solution, it does remove lots of clipping concerns.

Body: ive found most of these are good tbh. I went with the SE one again because I didnt feel like paying money for an exotic, and its decent light armor (metal rather than cloth)

Mantle: Ive found a couple that were ok, but as soon as Anet fixes them im getting the SE ones. They float off your shoulders, so there’s no clipping issues at all, they also look cool.

Leggings: By far the most obnoxious thing. I picked up the CoF leggings just because they didnt clip, and the molten tail is a cool addition.

Gloves: Most gloves are perfectly fine tbh.

Boots: Another problem for me because I couldnt stand the exposed toes, had to go with CoF boots for this.

Charr armor really needs some work.

in Charr

Posted by: VincentCross.6954

VincentCross.6954

I could only really find two sets of armor for the charr that I liked. The rest are just mah.

in Charr

Posted by: Aesthetics.2671

Aesthetics.2671

I want to display my helmet but it is looks so ridiculous.

in Charr

Posted by: MindlessCake.1027

MindlessCake.1027

Cultural Heavy armor.

Nuff said.

Too bad weapons and shields clip through it though.

I’ve got snails in my underwear

in Charr

Posted by: vicekeridan.2708

vicekeridan.2708

Give us Rytlock’s armor and all will be well.

in Charr

Posted by: Kopa.4206

Kopa.4206

yea i agree …. my male charr was wearing a belly top heavy amour …. thought it was kind of odd

in Charr

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

I have so much fun playing my charr thief, the story is amazing, I feel pretty attached to the NPCs I meet, and I love the sense of humor. It makes me want to play all charr characters!

But the armor is so terrible, I keep wanting to delete her :-S

in Charr

Posted by: Dasmordo.9654

Dasmordo.9654

It would be nice if they could adapt the armor to charr abit better, improve the fitting and textures, especially the light armor and the masks, I love being a charr, but the horrible armor adaption makes me want to delete it. Really hard to find any decent looking armor and the cultural stuff doesn’t do it for me except maybe tier 2 caster headpeice.

in Charr

Posted by: RoterFuchs.9216

RoterFuchs.9216

Give us Rytlock’s armor and all will be well.

The heavy cultural tier 3 armor is the one Rytlock’s wearing.
I actually do love the cultural armors, especially the first light armor. That’s why im still wearing it on level 80. Transmutation all the way. Takes horns and tail into account.

http://i.imgur.com/3awBc.jpg

Though I’m disappointed with the light tier 3 cultural armor. Basically ignores the tail, which is okay for other “normal” armors, but not for a cultural one.

in Charr

Posted by: Ironfungus.6178

Ironfungus.6178

Cultural and Flame Legion armor would like to have a word with you, Xokks.

in Charr

Posted by: Sundial.9015

Sundial.9015

“Cultural and Flame Legion armor would like to have a word with you, Xokks.”

The only good looking light cultural armor is T1. The rest look like complete and utter kitten

Sundial, Necromancer – Aurora Catulus, Engineer – Kaine Illuma, Elementalist
WvW Captain – Horde of Miscreations, Borlis Pass Alliance

in Charr

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

the flame legion pants actually clip with the tail.
It’s just really well disguised. Try spinning in a circle, you’ll note that there’s no tail hole. Your tail just goes right through the pants in 1 clean cut that makes it look like it isnt clipping.

in Charr

Posted by: Ironfungus.6178

Ironfungus.6178

@Sundial: A charr should be wearing heavy armor, not fragile cloth.

@Zenyatoo: The flame legion pants are pretty terrible, I’ll admit. Aside from the tail clipping, there’s the issue of the transparency right above the crotch area, as if a small portion of the pants are just … not there. Not sure if this graphical bug affects everyone, though.

in Charr

Posted by: Feycat.4370

Feycat.4370

Personally, they should get add an “arm rings” armor and let the charr run around bare-chested. They look so much better that way.

We really really need armor with less sleeves/shoulders, less skirts, and more of a strapped-on look. The armor they’ve got now does not look like it would work on a Charr’s physiology at all.

Of course, I’m going crazy trying to find that one-armed armor they use for the Whispers NPC in the “choose your Order” storyline. If I could have that, I’d be very pleased. As it is, I only like the pit fighter/gladiator armor, but both my charr wear medium

Game enjoyment increases as time spent on the forums decreases.

in Charr

Posted by: Jordan.6157

Jordan.6157

Very poor job on the armor for charr. Alot of it doesn’t even accommodate a tail… it’s like when my tail is flowing back a forth the material has regenerated extremely fast. It’s just bad. Alot of the shoulder gear is poorly done for charr aswell. Some of it even goes through the body or floats above the charr. Don’t even get me started on how helms don’t look half as cool. I recently crafted the leather exotic helm and on everyone else it looks amazing but on charr it’s just a forhead piece and looks ridiculous. Same with the leather crafted shoulders. Completely out of place compared to the rest of the set. Please make charr armor better arenanet.

in Charr

Jordan.6157

Very poor job on the armor for charr. Alot of it doesn’t even accommodate a tail… it’s like when my tail is flowing back a forth the material has regenerated extremely fast. It’s just bad. Alot of the shoulder gear is poorly done for charr aswell. Some of it even goes through the body or floats above the charr. Don’t even get me started on how helms don’t look half as cool. I recently crafted the leather exotic helm and on everyone else it looks amazing but on charr it’s just a forhead piece and looks ridiculous. Same with the leather crafted shoulders. Completely out of place compared to the rest of the set. Please make charr armor better arenanet.

This is the armor… EEEEWWWWW

Attachments:

in Charr

Jordan.6157

Also, not to mention the rifle or pistol on my character gets hidden under some armor. Looks a little kitteneap, am I right?

Attachments:

in Charr

Posted by: Xcaliber.7254

Xcaliber.7254

I agree with pretty much everything that’s been said. It really bugs me that our armor doesn’t look more like these (which, I might add, are Anet’s own concept art pieces):
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m78ibrFELK1r21rsxo2_1280.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m78ibrFELK1r21rsxo1_1280.jpg
http://www.gamemunition.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Guild-Wars-2-Charr.jpg

in Charr

Posted by: AuldWolf.7598

AuldWolf.7598

I can’t disagree. Not any more. It does look fairly bad. As I’ve said elsewhere, I think marketing had a hand in this. The charr aren’t a very popular race, so they just didn’t put much effort into it. As such, I’ve had to warn beast race fans away from GW2 because I can’t recommend it.

If only they’d spend some time fixing it.

In the concept art, the armour was amazing. Have you seen the concept armours? They looked fantastic. But the armour in game, all of it, does indeed look terrible. The only one I found palatable was the Heritage armour. And I had to put a lot of work into getting that, and now I use it exclusively, as I mentioned in another thread.

It just saddens me, because I wanted them to be better than this. Sometimes though, ArenaNet is just feeling like Blizzard 2.0. They’re generating quite a bit of ill will at the moment, and that’s not something they want to be doing at the launch of their game.

And would it really be so hard for their artists go go back and put in some tail flaps on the coats, and some horn flaps on the helmets? I’ve done 3D modelling, and I have a friend that has too. And we can both tell you that, no, it wouldn’t. This is just lazy. And it’s depressing.

The charr have so much potential. So much unspent potential. Where is the passionate ArenaNet of old that would never have stood for this kind of poor quality? I miss them.

in Charr

Posted by: shedim.8504

shedim.8504

Especially helmets look incredibly stupid on Charr. I agree, the armor needs to be remade so that it doesn’t look like it’s been slapped lazily onto a model that was not made for this kind of armor.

in Charr

Posted by: AuldWolf.7598

AuldWolf.7598

Yeah, this really isn’t the kind of lack of quality I’ve come to expect from them. Their prior games (the Guild Wars campaigns and expansion) just exuded quality, so this is very disappointing.

I created a petition to this end on the forums, here. Take a look and see whether it’s something you want to sign:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/races/charr/Charr-Armour-Pass-Petition

in Charr

Posted by: shenzo.8492

shenzo.8492

Even if all they added was that little thing for the tail like they have on the town clothes i’d be alot happier with the armor personally.

Attachments:

in Charr

Posted by: Quench.7091

Quench.7091

Right now my Drover Helm, which is the first tier leather armor helm for charr, is just a little too long on the neck. It keeps clipping through every leather armor that has something covering the neck, which is a ton of stuff.

My coat has a pocket on it that looks like it is supposed to store a laptop.

in Charr

MrNobody.4357

I agree with pretty much everything that’s been said. It really bugs me that our armor doesn’t look more like these (which, I might add, are Anet’s own concept art pieces):
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m78ibrFELK1r21rsxo2_1280.jpg

Yeah i’d like to be allowed to chose a different body type than the brute in the central spot, but more similar to those on the sides.

That alone, being it more similar to a human type body, would solve half of the problems already

in Charr

Posted by: Benny.3409

Benny.3409

This is what my guy looks like right now. The chest piece could be better but overall I’m not too dissatisfied. But the armor in the earlier levels did look pretty terrible…

Attachments:

in Charr

Posted by: Sir Richter Belmont.3258

Sir Richter Belmont.3258

I am not sorry at all, they are ALL bad, i have yet to see an armor set that looks good, and i want to know if even the helms that horns instead of looking epic, they look insanly redicules on Charr.

I played the Charr because they are an epic race, not Cows (wow refrence) and all armors looks like they got 2 bit artist that throws colors around the room and says “VOilA” i created art, a masterpiece, people should cry when they see it, while in reality it is garbage ontop of garbage which makes me sad

in Charr

Posted by: Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Anyone remember the contest they held for GW1 EotN weapons design? I think it would be a great idea to hold another contest like that, for the armors.

IMO, it would really love it if each race could have armor that is unique to them. The names could all be the same, like they are now, but they already call different models for Male and Female humanoids, and Asura/Charr sets. The designs would be based on what is already out there, but the models would be those designed for that particular race, and the skins would more accurately reflect the culture.

Example:
Mighty Embroidered Coat:

Human, Norn, and Sylvari models really need no change because they have similar body shapes, BUT! The skins should be more representative of the culture, and have some way to display the cultural/racial differences of the Norn and Sylvari. It’s such a shame to cover them up so much. Norn and Sylvari embroidery textures should reflect the cultures as well.

Asura and Charr have vastly different body types. It makes no sense to try to morph the same model to fit these races, and even less to have them share skin design. I can see the current embroidery designs on the Asura, but on the Charr they look quite out of place. Also, the Charr have such lovely fur patterns, why hide so much of it?

I chose the Ocelot pattern for my Charr. I think she’s so beautiful, but once the armor goes on, she looks pretty much the same as any of the other Charr females with that choice of face.
In regard to the skin, wouldn’t it make more sense to have a Glyphic style of embroidery for the Asura, a Celtic knot style for Sylvari, Scandinavian style florals or tribal knots?

in Charr

Posted by: Aryto.5873

Aryto.5873

Feycat: Look into the Pit Fighter lv70ish chest, it’s probably as close as you can get.

We (an all-Charr guild) all agree with what’s been said here. All the clipping, all the time… makes us sad. Get someone to copy-paste a tail-piece onto the armors if nobody is up to the challenge of making Charr-specific armor fitting on all the armor—at least that would be something!

Won’t help all the weird stretching of a lot of the bottoms though.

·································•¤¨¨¨¤•·································
A R Y T O . S HA D E S T A L K E R
·································•¤……¤•·································

in Charr

Posted by: Heimiric.9356

Heimiric.9356

I agree with everything said here. It’s just sad when you feel like you don’t want to play because you can’t get any nice armor for your character. Don’t really feel like re-rolling my main as another race when I’ve already done a bunch of stuff. And well I love my charr mesmer as a character just can’t get him to look nice.

in Charr

Posted by: Itharius.6802

Itharius.6802

This is the armor… EEEEWWWWW

It doesn’t help that you dyed it to look like puke.

in Charr

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

Horn clipping means I haven’t displayed my helm since character creation, and the later versions just remind me of judoon … and not in a good way. Though the monocle on my engineer looks properly bad-kitten so thankfully I don’t have to wear any of those ridiculous muzzles!

Tail-clipping is a constant irritation for both my heavy and medium charr characters (I didn’t make a light armoured charr specifically because of the tail clipping) with only a few armour types where this isn’t an issue. I find myself glaring jealously at all the NPCs in the Black Citadel who are wandering around with their tail-adapted armour like they own the place.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

in Charr

Posted by: Shredicus.8706

Shredicus.8706

Light Armor looks dumb on Charr eh?

My necro begs to differ ;o

Attachments:

in Charr

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

I have 3 issues with charr armor:

1) Overly HUGE shoulder pads on most armor
2) Lack of holes for the tail so it just clips through (not on every armor but still)
3) Helmets look painfully dumb

Other then that I like charr armor

in Charr

Posted by: Cyferwolf.1089

Cyferwolf.1089

The only thing that’s really bugged me about charr armor is some of the jaw placement for masks in medium armor and the way the shoulder pieces all seem so floaty. I’d also like to see the long coats not clip with our tails so bad, and I’d love to see real cloth simulation to make the long coats less blousy.

But as far as other problems at least in my experience the texture are all pretty good no weird folds or stretches like with worgen in WoW.

Charr armor ain’t perfect but it’s a hell of a lot better than what I’ve seen with differently proportioned races in some other games.

in Charr

Posted by: Wolfgang Michael.8217

Wolfgang Michael.8217

Charr amour is just sad. I have made an exotic set and am just sad to equip them cause the preview looks horrible. I have spend a fortune on dyes and still cannot get the look I desire. Specially the Prowler set just looks pathetic.

If you strongly agree with this topic, fill out this petition to support.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/external?l=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.change.org%2Fpetitions%2Farenanet-address-the-poor-state-of-charr-armour-sets

Anet must revamp the Charr armor. I myself do not know much about the Heavy, but the medium is not even as close as it does on a human.

P.S. I really feel bad for Asura.

in Charr

Posted by: Crux.6403

Crux.6403

The arah gear makes me sad as a clothie.
http://www.gw2armor.com/human/male/arah/light/front.jpg
vs
http://www.gw2armor.com/charr/male/arah/light/front.jpg

The shoulders are misshapen, the eyes have freakish eyelashes rather than little wings and the pants don’t go past my knees.

I love my charr, but the state of the dungeon armor on them is atrocious. The only set that charr got some love in was the flame legion set. If it dyed darker and didn’t clip so badly with all non-flamelegion shoulders I’d never use any other chest piece.

in Charr

Posted by: Ixal.7924

Ixal.7924

(edited by Ixal.7924)

in Charr

Posted by: Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

This just came to me as the perfect comparison of the human armor as it is currently adapted to Charr and Asura.

It’s the same result as what happens when you take fashion that was designed for a skinny woman’s body shape, and think that making it a bigger size is going to make it fit a voluptuous woman. It’s not..at all.

The long coats and robes on the Charr physique is just WRONG. No wonder we have such difficulty with jumping puzzles. We keep tripping over our armor ;P

It think GW 1 had a much better design for Charr armor. Take Pyre Fierceshot:
!http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/d/d1/Pyre_Fierceshot.jpg!

See how the armor covers vital areas, but does not encumber mobility, or as is the case now, try to be something it simply isn’t

Also, just as a personal peeve: The Charr clearly have a more sophisticated aesthetic now, than they did 250 years ago. Look at the monuments to their heroes, and the refined quality they have, and tell me why the same could not have been done for fashion. All the cultural armor looks like rags that have been patched together.

A lot of thought was clearly put into the cultural armor of the Sylvari. The cultural and physiological aesthetic of the entire race was completely re-conceptualized to reflect their lore.
The Charr character design itself is wonderful. I can’t say I’d change anything except perhaps adding more options for manes and tails, horns, fangs, etc.
I really think they got the short end of the stick in the armor department though.