Can you tone down the butter and chocolate?

in Crafting

Posted by: Spirit Wind.4016

Spirit Wind.4016

^^ Yes PLEASE! Not only are Black Lion Chest a dead drop; now I get useless food as well.

in Crafting

Posted by: Heatsink.5794

Heatsink.5794

I’m not getting enough chocolate and butter now. Not even close. I don’t care if it’s implemented as chocolate golems and giant champion cow bosses, but I need more of these materials.

in Crafting

Posted by: JFetch.8932

JFetch.8932

I’ve got full butter and I haven’t even tried cooking yet. It’s kind of ridiculous that something that goes bad if you leave it outside for a few minutes is being carried in every creature’s bag like it’s gold.

in Crafting

Posted by: Grandizer.6278

Grandizer.6278

Agree with OP. Farming for bags to get chocolate and butter at enormous rates needs to be tweaked.

in Crafting

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

butter I am drowning in still

Chocolate bars I cant find any….

in Crafting

Posted by: TaintedViper.3946

TaintedViper.3946

I agree i do get a lot of butter which would be fine if i could start using it to make an oil for my leather working to make cook bags :P

in Crafting

Posted by: Yam.9728

Yam.9728

I do not have much to contribute to the post as I am still leveling cooking myself. But, I will say this is my favorite thread on the forums so far.

Lot’s of good posts. Great to see all the feedback.

While I do love me some butter, I can understand why others may be tired of seeing it.

To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three parts dead.

in Crafting

Posted by: scotty.6895

scotty.6895

Why can’t we make chocolate using milk and cocoa beans. Get oranges and apples from trees in orchards. Milk from cows by working on farms. Make butter from the milk. Supplies and interact-able farm animals can be limited.

This would be cool immersion. It would add events to farming and mini-games rather than grinding to profession items. This would make professions really fun and you could even consider ways to do this type of this across the whole game

in Crafting

Posted by: Nimee.9785

Nimee.9785

I am find that cloth/leather drop rate was nerfed too much. I am around lvl 65. I cant get tailoring past 130 and have 3 wool scraps, 184 cotton pieces, 49 linen pieces and 6 silk. My cooking is around 250 and I have 223 butters and 83 chocolate (ie i have plenty of butter clearly). I do not farm. I play the game for fun and I would like to make my own lvl appropriate gear. However, its not possible. I also do not think coin is plentiful. Idk how Linsey plays the game but everything in the game is expensive (traveling, gear, repair, wvw items, ect).

Yes I am using the most mat effecient way to lvl my crafting. You still need apprx 138 Jute to get from 1-75; apprx 400 wool to get from 75-225; apprx 200 linen to get from 225-300; apprx 200 silk to get from 300-375 and havent made the calculations for the 375 to 400.

I understand that Anet doesnt want cloth/leather to flood the market but it shouldnt be so difficult that there is 30 lvl difference between player lvl and craft lvl. Where’s the fun in that?

Pre-change of cooking mats dropping. I was having fun crafting. Now I hardly craft which is a bummer. Sorry but I really dislike the change. A big thumbs down for Anet on that score.

in Crafting

Posted by: SyberSmoke.1358

SyberSmoke.1358

I am find that cloth/leather drop rate was nerfed too much. I am around lvl 65. I cant get tailoring past 130 and have 3 wool scraps, 184 cotton pieces, 49 linen pieces and 6 silk. My cooking is around 250 and I have 223 butters and 83 chocolate (ie i have plenty of butter clearly). I do not farm. I play the game for fun and I would like to make my own lvl appropriate gear. However, its not possible. I also do not think coin is plentiful. Idk how Linsey plays the game but everything in the game is expensive (traveling, gear, repair, wvw items, ect).

Yes I am using the most mat effecient way to lvl my crafting. You still need apprx 138 Jute to get from 1-75; apprx 400 wool to get from 75-225; apprx 200 linen to get from 225-300; apprx 200 silk to get from 300-375 and havent made the calculations for the 375 to 400.

I understand that Anet doesnt want cloth/leather to flood the market but it shouldnt be so difficult that there is 30 lvl difference between player lvl and craft lvl. Where’s the fun in that?

Pre-change of cooking mats dropping. I was having fun crafting. Now I hardly craft which is a bummer. Sorry but I really dislike the change. A big thumbs down for Anet on that score.

There are allot of holes right now and the drop system is more of a symptom then a problem. The problem is that it just feels like the developers could not think of an adequate way to let us, the player, acquire leather and cloth with out it being a drop.

Multiple items per bag, guaranteed drop rates for skins and such from game animals, and more ideas come to mind. But right now we have a scarcity for self achievement and an upside down market in the trading post. This can not be the way the devs planned things…Where it is less expensive to buy finished components then it is to buy the materials to make them our selves. That is just bad economics.

in Crafting

Posted by: LunarKnight.4025

LunarKnight.4025

I’ve found cloth and leather to be problematically low drop rates.
I know on one character during normal leveling i got a whole 13 cotton before i hit Linen zones. That’s not even enough to do anything at all.

The other big problem I have is the blue drops. As far as i know every single craft except jeweler and cook need those same blue drops and they come in such small quantities and are required in such large quantities that it’s somewhat ridiculous.

When your playing 2 characters simultaneously and pooling their loot together and still need to buy like 50+ of the blue drops just to get to the next tier of crafting for a single profession something is very wrong.

Butter eating up drops from bags is part of the problem but hides and clothing scraps need to be way more common and the amount of blue items needed to craft(at least just for the leveling items) should be dropped to like 2/4

Making a sigil should not be more expensive than buying a world dropped item with same stats as finished item and a pre-loaded rune.

sigils or sigil components should be included in the salvage chances at the very least

in Crafting

Posted by: Hancockenstein.4105

Hancockenstein.4105

it extends life, expands consciousness, the butter must flow

“Hehehehe” lvl ?? Warrior

in Crafting

Posted by: PsionicDingo.2065

PsionicDingo.2065

I’ve been wondering why Tailoring and Leatherworking seemed much more of a grind than they seemed at first.

I haven’t really kept up with either because I’ve been enjoying other aspects of the game, like PvE, and I admit I came to some severe stumbling blocks with Leatherworking because I simply didn’t have the wool and leather to get it running again. And I salvage and save everything. I finally bought my way out of the 150 level of LWing only to find that at 69 levels of questing, I have no cotton or leather squares for the next stage.

My psychic knife. The focused totality of my psychic powers.

in Crafting

Posted by: Kraun.2961

Kraun.2961

Butterzookas coated with chocolate ftw!

in Crafting

Posted by: douceline.2741

douceline.2741

I would just like a way to take all my in-game butter and chocolate and convert it to IRL butter and chocolate.

Or bacon.

in Crafting

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Could we not just have an NPC that we can traid unwanted mats for ones we want? As a weapon and armour smith I need a lot of the same mats. I’m lvl 50 and can only make lvl35 armour and lvl30 weapons. I have a tone of food mats. Sadly they are worth nothing compaird to the mats I need.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Crafting

Posted by: BigBadB.4860

BigBadB.4860

Could we not just have an NPC that we can traid unwanted mats for ones we want? As a weapon and armour smith I need a lot of the same mats. I’m lvl 50 and can only make lvl35 armour and lvl30 weapons. I have a tone of food mats. Sadly they are worth nothing compaird to the mats I need.

You can always sell the ones you don’t use and buy the ones you need via the TP?

in Crafting

Posted by: PixelPrinny.4165

PixelPrinny.4165

Here’s the thing that had me scratching my head after the change to butter — So NPCs sell buttermilk, cheese, and sour cream, but they somehow just forgot how to make the most staple of dairy products — butter — and we’re now forced to forage in the wild for it? From a continuity (or logical) standpoint that just blows my mind.

As for chocolate, why not just have cocoa beans as a gathering drop from logging much like walnuts are now and then a recipe to make chocolate using cocoa beans + buttermilk or something? Sure this just creates an extra step in the process, but it makes more sense than finding a staple cooking ingredient from within smelly bandit or ogre bags.

I dunno… the change just seemed so silly and nonsensical to me.

in Crafting

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

You can always sell the ones you don’t use and buy the ones you need via the TP?

As I said, on my world food mats are worth next to nothing 4 copper at most. Where as the weapon/armour mats that i need are over 1 silver each. So selling them on the TP would be pointless. Where as an NPC you can traid your mats with would be better. There could always be a daily/weekly limit on it. I just think it would be a good way to get the mats you need. As one armour set I made needed 75 vials of thin blood. By the time i had farmed enough mats for it I was lvl 47, and the armor was lvl 35. Levelling as I go is out of the window as I am now lvl50

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Crafting

Posted by: Katar.9378

Katar.9378

When your playing 2 characters simultaneously and pooling their loot together and still need to buy like 50+ of the blue drops just to get to the next tier of crafting for a single profession something is very wrong.

I done the exact same thing and by level 40 having taken them both through all the 20-35 zones I came out with 8 Small Totems. I did manage 40 odd of the other rare materials but I basically killed everything that moved that I encountered to manage that. That should be enough to get 2 of the 4 crafting professions to the next tier. I can’t even do what I did for tier 1 crafting where I bought all the inscriptions needed for crafting for less then the cost of a single rare material.

I salvage everything I find now to try and get crafting materials but I guess I am either extremely unlucky or X% to get rarer materials doesn’t mean you can get fine crafting materials from salvaging them.

As for the cooking ingredients. Getting just Butter and Chocolate from a bag is very annoying. At least when you get Walnuts and Cinnamon, which I have also filled up my storage at least 2-3 times, from trees they are “bonus” materials. Looking at my storage I have filled Butter and sold at least another 250 to a vendor as it is worthless, but Chocolate is only half full.

in Crafting

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

I salvage everything I find now to try and get crafting materials but I guess I am either extremely unlucky or X% to get rarer materials doesn’t mean you can get fine crafting materials from salvaging them.

I don’t think you can get fine materials from salvaging – I just completed my monthly achievements, and haven’t seen one. I think you can get a higher tier of raw material, say coarse leather instead of thin, and you can recover upgrades. If there is a chance, it’s very very slim and I’ve been shooting myself in the foot using only basic kits unless I want to recover a rune.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

in Crafting

Posted by: swarmofseals.5813

swarmofseals.5813

Linsey,

Thanks for watching this thread and participating in the discussion!

I am one of those insane folks who has a crafter of every profession, and so far cooking is my favorite. That said, I think that even with the reductions made so far we still get too much butter/chocolate and not enough fine materials/cloth etc.

I think there are two excellent suggestions in this thread:

1. Allow for food drops to supplement existing drops — ie: you get your butter along with whatever other drop rather than instead.

2. Design separate bags specifically for foodstuffs and add those to the drop table in such a way that crowds out trash loot. These bags should contain staple food items like butter but also have a chance of dropping rarer items like herbs. The price differential between most cooking ingredients and certain herbs like vanilla, rosemary etc. is absurd, and this could do quite a bit to alleviate that. Flavor-wise (pun intended) it might be a good idea to concentrate food bag drops on mobs like bandits, sons of svanir etc. who would be likely to carry food that civilized folk would want to eat while giving the crafting mat bags (with more fine materials etc) to the more primitive humanoids like ogres, grawl, skritt etc. who are more likely to collect those kinds of things and carry them around.

Just a though!

in Crafting

Posted by: Raiden Omega.7825

Raiden Omega.7825

Perhaps they need to do an overhaul and add skinning as a gathering too and for those who don’t want to cook but are complaining about gathering for cooking, most clothing comes from plant fibers. There could be a way to add plant fibers for making cloth to appropriate level plants. You still have to gather, but now you have a purpose in gathering.

in Crafting

Posted by: Drojdier.8563

Drojdier.8563

2. Design separate bags specifically for foodstuffs and add those to the drop table in such a way that crowds out trash loot. These bags should contain staple food items like butter but also have a chance of dropping rarer items like herbs. The price differential between most cooking ingredients and certain herbs like vanilla, rosemary etc. is absurd, and this could do quite a bit to alleviate that. Flavor-wise (pun intended) it might be a good idea to concentrate food bag drops on mobs like bandits, sons of svanir etc. who would be likely to carry food that civilized folk would want to eat while giving the crafting mat bags (with more fine materials etc) to the more primitive humanoids like ogres, grawl, skritt etc. who are more likely to collect those kinds of things and carry them around.

Just a though!

This!! 2) could solve these issues in such an elegant manner that will also bring some direly needed flavor. Simpletons carry shiny baubles while the more “evolved” bipeds would be more inclined to embrace culinary arts. You could also change some of the bags into some upgraded storing options – I mean, some of the bandits or pirates are rich enough to use chests and purses rather than the good ol’ jute bag.

Also it would be very wise to match the tier of the contents with the one of the bag – butter for lower tiers bags, vanilla beans for higher, etc.

This way it will make sense (flavor-wise too), it would be easier for people to know where to farm the materials they need and as result a more stable supply flow to balance the TP chaos.

in Crafting

Posted by: Dart Power.9412

Dart Power.9412

I’m pleased with chocolate, I use them to make so much “Chocolate Cherry”s, so I’m playing everywhere with +24% magic find with boons.

in Crafting

Posted by: Cameo.4073

Cameo.4073

All those bags that carry the loot should be salvagable for leather and cloth after we empty them.
Here is to a more environmentally friendly crafting policy.
Reduce, reuse, recycle

in Crafting

Posted by: Booler.6598

Booler.6598

We did also reduce the amount of butter and chocolate you get from bags. I was a bit nervous about taking them off vendors since they are such a staple, but I’ll be the first to admit that I went a smidge overboard. It’s felt a lot better since the change went Live, at least from my own experience (and I do play the game a lot and do lots of crafting!) How do you all feel about how much butter you get now?

Dude no. I’m sorry but still I get from bags , choc butter choc butter. You need to keep turning the dial another notch or 2

Always in all ways

in Crafting

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

Yes, I do like that there is less butter and chocolate dropping. I swear I gained 4 pounds till the fix kicked in. I THINK I am starting to loss it now.

btw OP I really like the pic. that was great.

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

in Crafting

Posted by: JNetRocks.3652

JNetRocks.3652

I don’t understand why they were added to bags. What was wrong with karma? Not like you need that much butter anyway and at high levels all you make is Omnomberry Bars or a few other things. I am 400 cooking and I have maybe used 50 butter my whole cooking career…

in Crafting

Posted by: Wechsl.2907

Wechsl.2907

Too much butter! I took up cooking now but I still have too much butter, chocolate is OK.

There have been some pretty good ideas in this discussion and throwing mine in the mix:
1) a) New crafting material=Cocoa Beans < chopped from trees alongside wood
b) Make Chocolate from Cocoa Beans and Milk
(Removing Chocolate from bags and thus freeing up percentage for other crafting mats)

2) a) Make Butter from Milk as we do make Ingots from Ore
(Remove Butter from Bags for other crafting materials)

3) a) Jute&Cotton are definetly a plant product, any chance of adding it to appropriate plant loot tables?
b) Wool is definetly from Sheep and Dolyak, any chance of adding those to their loot table in the appropriate lvl zones?
c) Silk is commonly made by Worms(Grubs) and Spiders, any chance of adding those to the loottable in appropiate lvl zones?

4)There aren’t enough Vanilla beans, I get tired of harvesting carrots from tier 2 plants when I have an actual carrot plant in tier 1, I’m sure there are more such letdowns when it comes to harvesting plants but this one was the 1st comming to mind.

5) Supply carts in Gendarran fields actually contain crafting loot(most commonly food), why does no other supply cart in any other place not contain any supply then? I like these scattered bags and supply chest things in the world, time to expand on it.

6) Leather is hard to come by, any chance of increasing drop rates for hides in addition to the fine crafting material drop chance from appropiate monsters?

7) We love loot, thus we love multiple loot drops from one monster, it doesn’t need to be insane, just a % drop that doesn’t rule out another % drop :P

8) Do you guys ever notice that no matter how high tier the bag, when it drops copper it is a beggars amount(1-4 copper)? It doesn’t feel right at all.

I love the game, I love the discovery part of crafting, but currently there is too much farming involved to get the mats right now.

in Crafting

Posted by: bpphantom.8243

bpphantom.8243

I need to make a cook. Butter, Chocolate and Cinnamon storage is full.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman.”

in Crafting

Posted by: Ageia.5843

Ageia.5843

I fully agree with you. Having a huge gap in level vs crafting skill is a detriment to players. I have a couple of characters so the stuff I get on my main one is ok to make stuff for the others, but what about the one who’s doing the “work”? She can’t make her own armor and stuff because already the level difference between her and the crafting is 20 levels.

in Crafting

Posted by: Prophet.6954

Prophet.6954

You only have two options then…sell the mats for now, and buy armor off the trading post. Then when you have extra coin, purchase the mats you need to catch back up. It takes a lot of materials to make armour, and depending on your level, you may not even have the appropriate materials.

Thus, at times you have to just make what you can make to get the maximum experience. There was a large span there where I just couldn’t feasibly level it. I was able to keep up with jewelry making, but not tailoring. The Jewlery making I was always able to stay several steps ahead of the game…and tailoring pretty much never actually helped. But finally, after many dungeons and events, I was able to afford to get based the hurdle I was in with cotton. Now I had lots of the next two tiers of materials, and was able to get myself with minimal investment, (1 g) all the way to 400. And the 1g I made almost all back, from vendor and trading post. BUT finally, I not only was able to catch myself up on armor (had mostly master green armor) but make some friends some rare and exotic armour now as well, paying off the time invested.

Now because I leveled it this way, there’s a lot of pieces I’ll need to discover, but I’ll do that as I go, when the character arises that needs it, versus making many pieces I don’t need.

in Crafting

Posted by: Dark.6083

Dark.6083

At the same time I will honestly say that I miss my skinning knife from WoW. I know, heresy, but it is true.

We all kill allot if different beasties and some of them do not appear to have a purpose but to be fodder (Rams, Deer, Wild Boars) so why not make them a resource like a node. Kill one, skin it, then refine. That would solve, from my perspective, a shortage in leather. Throw in some biomats (Claws, teeth, bones…) and it plugs some holes that exist.

I see it like this though, they created Ore nodes for mining, they have trees for wood, and plants for foods. But the only way to get a steady supply of leather is luck?

I was very very surprised that the “fodder”, animals you’d intuitively and logically hunt for leather and other animal parts, don’t actually drop any animal parts.

in Crafting

Posted by: Prophet.6954

Prophet.6954

To an extent it was “kind of” this way…blood from bats and harpies, scales from water creatures, hides from many things (bandits could be carrying these also), etc, venom sacs from fireflies and the like. But, you can only do that so much, when things require totems, and whatnot.

in Crafting

Posted by: Omnia Wind.2108

Omnia Wind.2108

You could give alllllll your butter and chocolate to me, I can use it!

~Omnia
Yak’s Bend FO LYFE [AI] [AGI]
minipets will be the death of me

in Crafting

Posted by: Astaldo.3081

Astaldo.3081

I’m very sad whenever I get chocolate or butter in a bag in Frostgorge or Orr. =(

Sad and chocolate cannot coexist in the same sentence.

in Crafting

Posted by: Mira.3681

Mira.3681

If I never see another butter drop, it will still be too soon (and I do have cooking craft, among others). I would be happy to see it go back to vendor.

It takes a while to get the fines for crafting (not even mentioning rares), so the butter (and to an extent, chocolate) drops seem to lower the drop rate for these even further.

in Crafting

Posted by: A Beastly Stein Shimmy.6179

A Beastly Stein Shimmy.6179

I think one of the main problems is that the recipes that use butter and several other ingredients have a STRONG imbalance in availability. Take the Vanilla Bean for example: 1s89c is the current price of the cheapest bean at the moment of writing this, with the major stock of 908 beans sitting comfortably at 2s a pop. Vanilla Bean is a highly sought after item, but is scarce in actual availability. Whereas, say, butter, which is required in the same recipe, is flooding the market at astronomical numbers, nearing the 1 million supplied as we speak. There just aren’t enough vanilla beans available to make use of 1 million sticks of butter.

From my point of view, a couple of things might fix this problem, as I don’t think items collected in any way should be sold at the TP for only a copper above vendor price.

In random order:

1) Add additional MAX level recipes that require some of highly supplied items in the market, and mix these recipes to create one “fun” items that people can make.

An example would be a Milk Churn. The Milk Churn itself would be sellable, but the items required to make this churn would be soulbound.

To make the Churn, you will have to acquire several ingredients of high proportion, craft a discovery item with them, and then throw these items in the Mystic Forge as a set recipe.

- 400 Cooking would be required to make item 1, say, an Infinite Ball of Butter, which by itself would need a silly amount of butter, perhaps 2000 pieces, and a bunch of other currently unwanted or not-even-created-yet items to make this Infinite Ball of Butter. This will create a butter dump that won’t give you a chance to get rare items (I already have my Conduit, so I might be biased towards this /shame) and the butter (with other ideas below this one) will be out of the picture permanently.

- Secondly, you would need something like 400 Armorsmithing to create a Churning Cask, which asks you smelt Iron Ingots/ Bronze Ingots and whatnot together to create the cask. Perhaps a stack of Iron and Bronze Ore should be enough for this.

-Thirdly, the churning handle will be made of wood. Perhaps 2 stacks of Green Wood Log. This would be made with Huntsman or something along those lines.

-Lastly, give the last item that has to be created to the Artificer that will make something to enchant the churning rod so that it becomes “magical” after being dumped into the Mystic Forge.

Next up would be to throw these 4 account bound items into the Mystic Forge and tada, a Magical Churning Churn comes out of the Forge. A sellable item that is created by someone who has 4 of the crafting professions maxed out, spend time collecting these items, and can now sell this baby on the AH for a fat profit.

Why you might ask? Well. This Magical Churning Churn will work like a summonable Vendor or Bank, only this Magical Churning Churn is only accessible by its owner and will sell items like (SOULBOUND)butter and other cooking ingredients used in the creation for Karma! In the long run, investing in one of the Churning Churns will win you back your money depending on how many of those ingredients you need throughout your gaming career. Heck. You could even throw in a few Vanilla Beans (2 stacks?) into the recipe and make those Karma purchasable in this Magical Churning Churn. There should be a great benefit for making/buying this monstrosity. So the true cooks will get these items so that they can—for example—make Omnom Bars easier because the Vanilla Beans and Butter are available to them for an acceptable Karma price. If the price would be balanced enough, the current prices of the foods shouldn’t have to plummit as not everyone will have this perhaps 20g-30g costing item. It will reward those whom crafted their way to MAX level by making unique items only they can make. Not everyone can afford to powercraft 4 professions to MAX and then collect a silly amount of mats over time.

-Char limit-

(edited by A Beastly Stein Shimmy.6179)

in Crafting

Posted by: A Beastly Stein Shimmy.6179

A Beastly Stein Shimmy.6179

2) Another idea would be to simply increase the amount of highly supplied items required in a recipe. Currently you can equal 100 Sticks of Butter to a single Vanilla Bean, though you only need 1 butter to make your craft. Make it so you need 10 sticks of butter, which will gradually allow you to lower the supply of this item over time.

3) Throw in a bunch of new recipes. This is combined with the 1) suggestion, but if the above suggested idea is unacceptable, you could always make level 400 crafting recipes which require a bunch of butter and or chocolate, and in turn will craft you something fancy you cannot buy off the AH. Super Cookie Delight or something, which grants 35% magic find for 60 minutes instead of the 30% for 30 minutes granted by the Omnom Bars? As these are soulbound, only the cooks who cooked their way upto 400 will be able to enjoy these badboys. Others will have to hang on to their 30% buff or work their way up to 400 as well. (You can make these account bound, of course)

4) As suggested often enough. Lower the amount received of these stockpiled items or seperate them into other bags so that other items won’t become as scarce. Make things like Vanilla Bean something you can receive as an extra drop (instead of dandelions) of several plants throughout the world so that these become more available as time passes on.

Though I think these changes go hand-in-hand, I can understand as to why some might be a bit too much of a risk to implement, as there would have a bunch of changes to compensate for it.

Regardless, I think that this would be a better solution than having a temporary Mystic Forge dump for rare items once we reach 2 million walnuts or whatever. It would create something hard to get, valuable and rewarding for crafters, which ultimately is what we want as crafters.

(This would open up other interesting opportunities at the Mystic Forge as well. Combine several hard-to-make items from various max crafts and get something fancy out of it. Nothing gamebreaking, but something that will reward you one way or the other for all your input. Just like the Magical Butter Churner (yes, I keep changing its name), the items purchased from them would be soulbound, but you could also make combinations of Cooking/Tailoring/Huntsman/Whatever to make a soulbound Golden Chef cooking outfit only wearable by the maker to show off their awesomeness.)

EDIT; Imagine a game where even crafting has a sort of endgame. Where those whom spend their time in the cities baking cookies and throwing tea parties could craft until they drop. The Legendary Frying Pan, an item created by combining hard-to-make items from every single profession. Unpurchasable. Unsellable. And totally kick kitten Do you want to run around in a Golden Chef uniform, have a pair of English boots that will randomly shout profanity at other crafters as they make their wares? Well, Guild Wars 2 has it. Get crafting now, baby.

The frying pan will be an in-combat like an Engineer ’s Grenade kit giving you a variety of abilities like Frying Whack, which will make you slack the enemy to the side while you storm through their kitchen pretending to be a real chef!

(edited by A Beastly Stein Shimmy.6179)

in Crafting

Posted by: justjon.3189

justjon.3189

I might have a crazy thought process by why not make butter a crafted material? Where it just takes milk and water to create it. This way the milk can drop from things that make sense like cows and such and then no one has to see a butter drop again.

in Crafting

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Sell what you don’t want. Buy what you do.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Crafting

Posted by: Voltar.8574

Voltar.8574

when a game hands you butter and chocolate, you should make chocolate chip cookies. a lot of the chocolate-covered fruits do a mf bonus too so there’s that as well.

in Crafting

Posted by: Jinsoku.1586

Jinsoku.1586

5% chance for butter, get 10-20 butter
5% chance for chocolate, get 5-15 chocolate
5% chance for vanilla beans, get 5 vanilla beans

I wouldn’t mind if the bags gave those items at those rates.

in Crafting

Posted by: DaKenster.5801

DaKenster.5801

All hail Abutterdon!

Good thing butter is down to 2 copper on the TP, I can buy enough to make a glorious effigy to my butter God.

JQ- [VG]

in Crafting

Posted by: Prophecy.5204

Prophecy.5204

We did also reduce the amount of butter and chocolate you get from bags. I was a bit nervous about taking them off vendors since they are such a staple, but I’ll be the first to admit that I went a smidge overboard. It’s felt a lot better since the change went Live, at least from my own experience (and I do play the game a lot and do lots of crafting!) How do you all feel about how much butter you get now?

Butter and Chocolate as a cook – I’m fine with the drops (since it’s such a huge staple). What I’m hurting on is Vanilla Beans. Seriously — you need them in Wet Ingredients and things like White Icing, which combine → chocolate icing. They’re over 1s each on the TP (1s 20c last time I checked), which makes most combination dishes that use Vanilla Beans too expensive. When it takes 2-3 Vanilla beans to make the 1 crafting component, which sells for 2-3c on the TP, I’m not exactly inclined to make anything with Vanilla Beans. I really don’t want to take a 3s+ loss per slice of cake, etc.

in Crafting

Posted by: raxx.8914

raxx.8914

They need to remove them from the max level bags, WTF? the best bags in the game dropping choc and butter…..

in Crafting

Posted by: johnnytruant.5634

johnnytruant.5634

My suggestion:

Make it so that crafting materials have a certain percentage of dropping based on what crafting professions you have (if any) or even based on what level you are in each profession.

If I’m a chef, make it more likely that I’ll get food drops. If I’m not a chef, and my chef level is 1, I shouldn’t be opening bags and bags full of food that I’ll never use on that character.

So we’ll still get food drops, it’ll just be less likely that we’ll get them when we play characters that don’t need them.

in Crafting

Posted by: urzen.7096

urzen.7096

Did someone ask why they dont just make butter a base recipe? Butter is made from milk. You can buy milk with coin. Problem solved. Why would mobs be running around with butter?

Sanctum of Rall

in Crafting

Posted by: urzen.7096

urzen.7096

Add cocoa beans to harvesting, make chocolate from cocoa beans, sugar. Problem solved, and people given something more to craft. Was that so hard?

Sanctum of Rall