Ecto Salvage Rate nerfed?

in Crafting

Posted by: Moonpuncher.7250

Moonpuncher.7250

Was there a change to the salvage rate for getting ectos off of 70+ rares?

My results have dipped significantly since the patch. I understand variance, but this was enough to warrant at least some cursory investigation.

in Crafting

Posted by: EndlessDreamer.6780

EndlessDreamer.6780

I’ve seen no difference. Could you give a bit more detail? I’ve always gotten 0-3 off of yellows, 1 most commonly, and 0-5 off of exotics. My rate of break down seems the same as always.

in Crafting

Posted by: Celestea.4105

Celestea.4105

Still getting plenty of ectos off my salvages.

in Crafting

Posted by: LoomyZA.7041

LoomyZA.7041

around 21 ectos from 19 crafted lvl 80 rares earlier this afternoon. using master kit & approx. 110ish MF (call it superstition)

in Crafting

Posted by: LinseyMurdock

LinseyMurdock

Game Designer

We did not make any changes to the salvage rate of ectos. You just had a string of bad luck.

Lead Designer – Living World

in Crafting

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Hey Linsey could you clarify for me please if it’s true or not that ectos have the same chance of being salvaged regardless of what kit is being used as they’re a trophy not a “rare crafting material”?

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

in Crafting

Posted by: Rivalz.3142

Rivalz.3142

my ecto “luck” seems a bit off since the patch as well.

Alexander Darkstar- [NOPE]
Tarnished Coast

in Crafting

Posted by: morphemass.2850

morphemass.2850

My recent salvages have been in line with expectations.

in Crafting

Posted by: Prophet.6954

Prophet.6954

Are you sure?

I went from getting 1-3 ecto (using master, and black lion kits) and literally in the last little less then a week, went to having 1 out of 6 give me an ecto.

in Crafting

Posted by: morphemass.2850

morphemass.2850

I tend to average a 1-1 ratio over a broad number of salvages, I’ll have to test again later.

in Crafting

Posted by: Lureei.9457

Lureei.9457

Bet there is DR on salvage also All hail the almighty DR

in Crafting

Posted by: TheVirtualFrog.8714

TheVirtualFrog.8714

There’s a DR on probably everything, including the chances of rare item gain from salvaging or loot bag opening. But all is well because it’s there to stop those duplicitous kind of bots and exploiters that make suspicious cackling noises and twirl their moustaches while giving a grandiose monologue about their gold making schemes. Except that it’s to stop everyone but those people.

in Crafting

Posted by: Pyles.5301

Pyles.5301

Thanks Linsey for the verify.

Please if you have a few moments comment on this thread https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Ori-nodes-not-showing-up-as-minable-Friend-showed-me-spawns-I-see-a-ruined-base-like-I-mined-it-but-I-haven-t-can-mine-2-out-of-5/page/4

Specifically this question from this post please:

I don’t even care about a detailed response… I don’t need reasons or explainations… All I’d like is one person with the little symbol next to their name to give me a one word yes or no answer to this question:

Is this an intended change?

If yes, we can all begrudgingly accept our fates, complain for a while, then get on with our lives. If no, we can all rest easy knowing it will be fixed…. Just a single word from the devs or someone at a.net.

in Crafting

Prophet.6954

And on the bright side it wasn’t a total loss, as I did get a very valuable 6 total mithril, from the 4 rare lvl 75-80 weapons, and the two lvl 80 rare armor pieces netted 2 silk scraps, and a leather piece. Not a total loss compared to the 1.3 gold I could have sold the 5 at…. òó

I think I’ll save up the next 44 or so, as instead of getting 30 mithril, and 12 pieces of silk, I’ll make a video of my 50 or so tries to get some random legendary thing out of the lottery forge. =Þ I think I’ll have better odds. Maybe ‘better’ isn’t the right word, as less terrible.

in Crafting

Posted by: TheVirtualFrog.8714

TheVirtualFrog.8714

Actually, I once did a testing after the patch with loot bags to see if DR started affecting them as well. Circled between a few Flame Legion oriented events in Plains of Ashford and didn’t stop until I had 250 Tiny Loot Bag. I logged off and didn’t open them till the next day to stop an already accumulated loot DR affecting the statistics.

Kept a screenshot of the result. 250 Tiny Loot Bags amounted to the following: 173 butter, 95 rawhide piece, 51 jute scrap, 34 bone chip, 17 tiny totem, 28 vial of weak blood, 4 crystal sliver and 2 molten sliver. The thing is that after the 50th bag, good loot started getting scarce and after the 100th bag I was getting nothing but butter, rawhide and the occasional bone chip or two. It was a noticable drop and a big one at that.

So if the DR affects loot bag item gain chances, I don’t see why it wouldn’t affect salvaging item gain chances as well.

in Crafting

Posted by: arcqe.6734

arcqe.6734

I think the most I’ve ever gotten from a salvage was 2. And that was only once.

usually somewhere

in Crafting

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

What salvaging kit are you using? I am using Fine and I’m having no problems.

in Crafting

Posted by: Mislead Goldsmith Elks.1768

Mislead Goldsmith Elks.1768

well i believe theres either been a stealth DR system applied to ectos or it isn’t working unintended. always using mystic salvage kits for the past few weeks i’ve always salvaged rares in 20+ batches. i’ve salvaged over 800 rares and i’ve ALWAYs gotten 0.7-0.9 ectos per rare on average. swear i never hit below 0.7 i would have to be lucky to get 40+ ectos from 40 rares. . this morning i salvaged 50 rares that i bought overnight and got 47 ectos. then 3 hours later i salvaged a 30 batch and ended up with 15 ectos, 1 hour after that started another batch got 9 ectos opening from opening my first 17, then i just stopped cause cause i felt the same cold streak chill you notice when you notice the DR kicking in from mob loot

in Crafting

Posted by: lackofcheese.5617

lackofcheese.5617

Hello, negligible statistical significance.

Next we’ll be getting someone come and say “I salvaged a rare level 80 item today, but I didn’t get any ectos at all. It must have been the diminishing returns!”

in Crafting

Posted by: Cisza.9540

Cisza.9540

If you salvaged, let’s say 30000 rares, and get 0.5 ecto:item ratio, that would be usefull data. Anything below – it’s how math works (rng in that case), deal with it.

in Crafting

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

Salvaged my first item yesterday with a BLSK got me 2 ectos.

in Crafting

Posted by: Mekboss.5069

Mekboss.5069

I’m at 2 ectos / 6 salvages, using a BL kit. I’m really not sure whether I should continue salvaging or cut my losses and sell them, right now I’d even be glad if I could break even [price of kit + what I would have gotten for rares].

in Crafting

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

I’m at 2 ectos / 6 salvages, using a BL kit. I’m really not sure whether I should continue salvaging or cut my losses and sell them, right now I’d even be glad if I could break even [price of kit + what I would have gotten for rares].

I’ve been getting multiple ectos salvaging with basic kits, for what it’s worth. Linsey hasn’t confirmed that they have the same drop rate due to them being trophies not rare crafting materials but empirical evidence would suggest that this is the case.

I don’t even know if it’s a bug or anything.. I’d like some official word on it.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

in Crafting

Posted by: RamzaBehoulve.5640

RamzaBehoulve.5640

If you salvaged, let’s say 30000 rares, and get 0.5 ecto:item ratio, that would be usefull data. Anything below – it’s how math works (rng in that case), deal with it.

1000 is a big enough sample as far as statistics are concerned in such case.

in Crafting

Posted by: Safari.3021

Safari.3021

I would like to chime in here:

I’ve always used black lion kits on yellows, even when the text said 10% chance at rare mats, because even though the masters said 25%, I always got results with the B.L.kit. Its very rare I get 0 ecto from a salvage of an 80 rare item, normally getting 1, sometimes 2 and very rarely 3 (about as rare as getting 0)

The last 2 days however, the rate of ecto per salvage has been dreadful. no, I have no hard figures, because I figured I was just being unlucky as far as rng goes, but I’ve just salvaged 8 80 rares in a row with a black lion kit, and got nothing but elder wood and sigils, I’ve never before in the game gone 2 salvages without an ecto drop.

Maybe its the black lion kits not working as intended?

in Crafting

Posted by: Mislead Goldsmith Elks.1768

Mislead Goldsmith Elks.1768

and linsey’s response says nothing regarding the possibly whether the DR system could affect salvaging. all she responded to are the initial rates.

in Crafting

Posted by: VitisVinifera.2834

VitisVinifera.2834

I used a black lion kit on a lvl 76 yellow armor and got no ectos. Is that normally possible?

in Crafting

Celestea.4105

Yes Black lion kit only gives you a 50% chance at rarer materials such as ecto. I don’t know about you guys but i’m average 2-3 ecto per salvage of yellows. I just salvaged 10 yellow’s and came out with 17 ecto.

in Crafting

Prophet.6954

I still went from 95% down to like 15-25%. Interesting…

in Crafting

Posted by: Safari.3021

Safari.3021

Further to last nights (end of the day) salvaging of 8 rares for 0 ecto, I just logged in for a new days play and salvaged another 8 rares (all level 80) that I’d saved up after yesterdays dissappointment.

I got a much better return of 7 ectos from the 8 rares, 2 produced 0 ecto, but 1 produced 2 ecto.

So start of the day, I get roughly what I would expect, end of the day I dont.
I think DR has reared its ugly head.

in Crafting

Posted by: Hador.2753

Hador.2753

I went 0/12 (6 exotics, 6 rares) on Ectos as well yesterday afternoon, after getting like ~10 (out of 9 salvages, 1 yielded 0) in the morning. Smells a lot like DR to me.

in Crafting

Celestea.4105

I went 0/12 (6 exotics, 6 rares) on Ectos as well yesterday afternoon, after getting like ~10 (out of 9 salvages, 1 yielded 0) in the morning. Smells a lot like DR to me.

Just out of curiosity, why are you salvaging exotics?

in Crafting

Cisza.9540

Just out of curiosity, why are you salvaging exotics?

I know you’re asking someone else, but I do 3 dungeons daily – that’s 9 paths, each path takes about 20 mins, so all in all it’s 3 hours give or take. For each dungeon done you get about 80 silver reward for completing + all you take on your way. The other reward is 180 tokens – which is the cost of helmet. I do not need tokens anymore, so I just buy 3 heads after we’re done in dungeons, and salvaged them for few ectos.

in Crafting

Celestea.4105

Those helmets aren’t exotic though, if you are purchasing the ones that are 30 tokens, they are rares.

in Crafting

Posted by: bibster.6289

bibster.6289

got about 10 ectos from around 35 rares today. seems not only me. i’ve been getting a consistent 0.9:1 ratio more or less always, except today

in Crafting

Cisza.9540

@Cel
As I wrote – I buy then for 180 tokens each, so pretty easy to understant they are exotics.

in Crafting

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

It doesnt matter if you salvage exotics or rares, all have the same chance to yield 0-3 ectos.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in Crafting

Cisza.9540

Exotics can yield up to 5, with higher chance on 1-2 than rares.

in Crafting

Malediktus.9250

I never got 4 or 5 from an exotic and on average the same yield as from rares. I use the 15s salvage kit.

in Crafting

Cisza.9540

I always use Black Lion (got like 50 when leveling a month ago, pribably some bug, coz 2 weeks ago started an alt and got barely 2 on my way from 1 to 80 level), so maybe that’s the case? It has never been explained by AN how Salvage Kits work, and every tests ppl do show different results (completely chaotic I’d dare to say).

in Crafting

Malediktus.9250

I often dont understand what Anet is trying to achieve with so much mystery.

in Crafting

Cisza.9540

I often dont understand what Anet is trying to achieve with so much mystery.

+1

in Crafting

Celestea.4105

That’s interesting. I’ve never seen someone get 5 ecto from an exotic, I guess it’s because nobody has dared to try so, besides you.

in Crafting

Cisza.9540

That’s interesting. I’ve never seen someone get 5 ecto from an exotic, I guess it’s because nobody has dared to try so, besides you.

…and many of my guildies. I was farming (stopped eventually) Onyx Cores/Lodestones I need for Twilight, I got about 4k TA tokens – why would I let them dust in my bank if I can just turn them to money? I’m sure – completely sure – I’m not the only one doing this.

in Crafting

lackofcheese.5617

It seems like the rares would be a better deal, though, given that you can get 6 rares for the cost of an exotic.

in Crafting

Posted by: EndlessDreamer.6780

EndlessDreamer.6780

You can get actually up to 6 with exotics. I’ve gotten lucky once (and only once) doing that.

That or it was a bug.

in Crafting

Cisza.9540

It seems like the rares would be a better deal, though, given that you can get 6 rares for the cost of an exotic.

TA rares are level 45. AC, CM even lower.
For CoF, CoE, HoW – sure, I buy rares, but for other dungeons it must be exotics.

in Crafting

lackofcheese.5617

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the information.

in Crafting

Posted by: kKagari.6804

kKagari.6804

I’ve salvaged 2 exotics and got 3 ectos from each.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun, rather than having fun”
Guild missions say otherwise.

in Crafting

Celestea.4105

@Cisza, yea that makes perfect sense, now that you explained it. How many onyx lodestones did you average after all your TA runs?