Going 0-500 in all crafts this week

in Crafting

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

Hi all,

I’ve decided this week to spend all my gold (~1300g) on starting and maxing all crafting disciplines. I have 8 level 80s, one of each profession. Having said that, I’m not doing it for XP but still want to set it up in the most logical way:

Engineer – Huntsman, Leatherworker
Necro – Jeweler, Tailor
Warrior – Armorsmith, Weaponsmith
Elementalist – Artificer, Chef (My main, I’d like to craft foods right before WorldBosses/EOTM/Dungeon runs and then do rare salvage==>luck refining immediately after)

My questions are:

1. Does the above setup look correct or is there a more efficient way (i.e. Jeweler/Tailor better on Mesmer b/c they’re more desired for dungeons completion? Does this even matter? I chose Necro since Hearts completion seemed much easier with it.)

2. Regarding Craftable-Only heavy armor/weapons, will any of those be soulbound to my Warrior, or can I later give them to my Guardian? (My Guardian is my 2nd main rare farmer, so for convenience/simplicity I’d like just low level Artificer on it for all the rare salvage==>luck refining)

Thanks!!

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

in Crafting

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

1. The set up looks fine to me. Jeweler and chef can really be used by anyone, but having chef on your main is a good idea. As you acknowledged though, it doesn’t really make a huge difference.

2. I don’t know of anything that is soulbound once crafted. Ascended armor and weapons are account bound on crafting, so you will be fine with those.

in Crafting

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

1. The set up looks fine to me. Jeweler and chef can really be used by anyone, but having chef on your main is a good idea. As you acknowledged though, it doesn’t really make a huge difference.

2. I don’t know of anything that is soulbound once crafted. Ascended armor and weapons are account bound on crafting, so you will be fine with those.

I think the dungeon specific slayer potions are soulbound after crafting.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Crafting

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Seems like a decent set-up. If you want to be able to refine ascended materials everyday, then you’d likely end up using your engi (as you can make silk weaving thread, elonian leather cord, elder spirit residue and mithrillium all on this character). This is just for convenience really

It’s worthwhile doing chef on a character with a decent % of map completion, once again, just for convenience. It means if you need an ingredient sold by a karma vendor lurking in some murky corner of the map, you can get there in a blink.

Apart from those scenarios, I can’t really think of anything that would influence your choices- you’ve definitely made some well thought-out decisions already

One thing you may already know about: use gw2crafts.net for crafting guides. It makes the whole process faster, easier and a lot cheaper.

in Crafting

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

I’ve read (and reread) everything posted and have taken it all into account. Time to start this long process, with still a lot more guide reading to be done. Thanks for the help everyone!!

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

in Crafting

Posted by: Cakemeister.5792

Cakemeister.5792

IMO huntsman and weaponsmith should be together. That way you can have one character that does all your ascended material promotion.

in Crafting

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

IMO huntsman and weaponsmith should be together. That way you can have one character that does all your ascended material promotion.

His Engi fills this spot with leatherworker and huntsman.

in Crafting

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Jeweler and Artificer have a little bit of synergy (check the recipes for Krait Slaying potions; also check out the ones for Inquest slaying potions while you’re there, because they are non-intuitve).

in Crafting

Posted by: longshot.1397

longshot.1397

I would say spend a bit of that gold and buy 3 crafts per char. Armor, tailor and leather on 1, that way u get buy 1 insignia recipe u can use em on any of the armors, same goes for weapons, hunsman. Artificer and chef on main for pots and buffs. Well thats the way I did it

in Crafting

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

some comments:
1) I hear the new backpacks are a good way to level from 400 to 500. Something along the lines of: they are cheaper to make than exotics, and give experience through all the levels and not just 400-425, for example. I haven’t looked into it myself, but you should check it out. They aren’t sellable or salvageable afterwards, so the refunded amount is less, but should still be cheaper, or so I heard.

2) there’s two opposing philosophies I’ve had: each character should be able to craft as much as possible (weaponsmith + armorsmith on one character) vs. each character should be really good at some things and ignore other things (weaponsmith + huntsman on one character). When I started playing, I went with the first one. My current setup: weaponsmith + armorsmith, huntsman + leatherworker, artificer + tailor, chef + jeweler. If I could, I would rearrange that. The primary reason is the soulbound recipes. Let’s say you learn an insignia recipe on your armorsmith. that recipe is unavailable to your leatherworker, despite leatherworker being capable of making it, it was your armorsmith that learned it. Now, when you want to make that insignia, you have to remember which character learned it. Personally, I “solved” this by having my weaponsmith + armorsmith learn every recipe first, then only extras went to the others. trouble was that I leveled artificer first to make an ascended weapon for my mesmer, so she knows all the ascended inscriptions :P it’s a mess. If I were making it anew, I would go with:
weaponsmith + huntsman
armorsmith + leatherworker
artificer + tailor
chef + jeweler
(or weaponsmith + artificer, or hunstman + artificer, etc. for example. you can pick)
I would also recommend getting 1 crafting upgrade and doing this:
weaponsmith + huntsman + artificer
armorsmith + leatherworker + tailor
chef + jeweler
a 2nd crafting upgrade would just move chef and jeweler to the first 2, so not as needed. when they release it, a 3rd upgrade would do nothing. there is no reason to get upgrades 3, 4, and 5. The 6th upgrade, however (all disciplines on one character) would be interesting. I wouldn’t exactly like to see it happen, but it would be interesting.

3) this conflict is one of the reasons I’ve been so vocal about changing learned (not discovered) recipes to account bound - so when you learn the inscriptions and stuff, they are available to all your professions. unfortunately, that update is also required to move professions around… So I’m kinda trapped right now.

in Crafting

Posted by: Nuno.9735

Nuno.9735

I bought the crafting expansions, I now can have 4 on each char. I enjoy only having to need 2 charts for crafting. Just a thought.

in Crafting

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

I think the dungeon specific slayer potions are soulbound after crafting.

Wow, you’re right, the extended potions are soulbound. That’s a bit of bad design right there. 400 tokens for a recipe that can only be used by that character, or 1 token for one potion that lasts half as long, but doesn’t require any t6 fine crafting mats and can be used by any character.

in Crafting

Posted by: RustyMech.9876

RustyMech.9876

I hope that they will make the extended potions account-bound in the near future.