The Legendary Letdown

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: Sebyos.4089

Sebyos.4089

I think their idea of RNG was horrible and discusting. I would gladly farm 10 000 WvW kills, get rank 50 in pvp and grab 2000 tokens rather than putting stuff mindlessly in the forge to get the items I need.

Also have they everp layed Orr ? Serisously I wouldn’t mind grinding if they made it actually fun. Orr right now is pathetic. It’s ugly, boring, repetitive, the undead models are discusting and their skills simply annoying rather than challenging plus the zone totally lacks content. Then the few events there are usually a bore fest of afk pew pew fest against big hp pools with nothing else.

Anyway in my mind a legendary, before requiring a legendary grind has to LOOK LEGENDARY not look like a kid toy.

80 Norn Necromancer Max : JC, WS, TL, AT.
100% World completion.

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: Loe.6351

Loe.6351

They could reward us when we do something we liked in their games right?

So, in my opinion they should add 5 ways of getting the legendary:

- SPVP
-WvWvW
-PVE – Exploration
-PVE – Dungeon
-Crafting

So, the pve Dungeon way would be : get 3k tokens from every single dungeon and the dungeon master title.

Things like that would reward us without the ridiculous farma grind and rng thing. I dont care if it would take time, cause im actually having fun doing stuff, but i dont want to play orr anymore. Is that simple. I believe in all my mmo time, ive never seen anything more grindy than that. Its zumbie grind.

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: Chronologist.9782

Chronologist.9782

Shouldn’t we be able to accomplish whatever it is we strive for in a video game?

And this is what’s wrong with current MMO community these days, every game nowadays is now expected to be beaten by 100% of players instead of 5-10% back in the days

God forbid legendary is hard to get

ANet should change how legendaries are acquired:

• Precursor even harder to get
  • 500 clovers
  • Glory rank 30
  • 10k players killed in WvW
  • 2000 tokens from every dungeon

Now that would be real legendary

You are a joke. As others have mentioned here, there’s no accomplishment in a brand new player throwing 4 exotics into the Forge and getting a Precursor, 1/4th his way to a Legendary just like that….that’s not every Legendary. By Anet’s definition of what GW2 is all about (in the videos & blog posts) as well as what acquiring a Legendary is about, the current state of the game & acquiring a Precursor -> Legendary is not up to par with their own standards.

Now that I think of it….you may be one of those exploiters with stacks of Precursors in their bank, trying to make us all feel like we will never achieve Legendary status….

Haha, did you just pull a Romney?

Stop QQ’ing on forums after spending 10g on mystic forge thinking you are special and thought you deserve precursor

I personally spent 150g+ on mystic forge in rares/exotics with nothing to show for it and there is no precursor that I want on BLTC right now “The Legend” so yeah I must be this imaginary exploiters with tons of precursors in the bank trying to manipulate the economy. Paranoid much?

You know what, it’s a legendary, it’s hard to get, wow.

Attachments:

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: Horheristo.3607

Horheristo.3607

I’m just glad that this game is so anti-hardcore.
People came to this game with a mindset of farming 24/7 and becoming l33t, yet after all that gold and time spent… nothing to really show for it.

In the end, the casual players will benefit the most out of it, thanks to your hard proofs Anet will eventually fold and ease the process.

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: Mario Lemieux.9107

Mario Lemieux.9107

It’s time to revive this post…im kitten

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: Dreamslayer.7659

Dreamslayer.7659

I see two paths.

The first path is the path you enjoy. You’re comfortable here, but the rewards are relatively modest because simply doing what you enjoy is an inherent reward.

The second path leads to a specific result but you don’t like where it is, or what you have to do to get there.

The core human experience is the tension between doing what you want to do vs. getting what you want to get. It is only the most rare circumstance where these things coincide.

I didn’t spend my Wintersday playing bells or jumping through puzzles or sparing with wanton toys aboard an airship but lots and lots of people did. They have their reward.

I spent my Wintersday slaving away in the hot, humid lower level of Rata Sum crafting and salvaging to the limit of my physical endurance. I have Juggernaut.

Well, I still need 180 shards, but then – then I’ll have Juggernaut – and no regrets.

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

And three months later nothing has changed. Why should it? They’re making bank off this stuff.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: Naekuh.7925

Naekuh.7925

well i would like to tell you guys of my precursor fail.

I have spent well over 200g on exotics and rares in the mystic toliet.
After that i just gave up. 200g was a LOT of farming i did. A lot of TP rare selling.

At one point i gave up crafting stuff to throw in the toliet and decided to just sell the rares on the TP. I primary flipped carrion krait GS’s cuz they had the highest profit margin. I am assuming people like me who bought 50-100 at one time to throw in the toliet to hope for precursor.

After another tiring grind, i finally managed to save up 470g to just put a buy order on it.
But guess what?
the moment i did, it seemed the avilability of dusk went from 4 ->11 then all of a sudden went from 475g BUY NOW -> 625g at peak.

I ended up crying… i had no where enough gold to finish twilight…
My friends finally caved in and all lent the last bit of required gold to purchase dusk for 590g.

My total expensive on Dusk alone… well over 790g just for the stupid precursor.

And now i still cant finish it cuz balthazzar’s temple is glitched, and i cant get the last required shards to finish twilight… :\

Id like Anet to tell me they really expect 5% of the population to farm that much, cuz i personally think i was NUTS to farm that much gold.

(edited by Naekuh.7925)

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

God forbid legendary is hard to get

ANet should change how legendaries are acquired:

• Precursor even harder to get
  • 500 clovers
  • Glory rank 30
  • 10k players killed in WvW
  • 2000 tokens from every dungeon

Now that would be real legendary

As long as it’s not about buying stuff off a market, we’re in business.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I think how hard Legendary weapons are to get is not even a relevant point of discussion. They exist simply to make you play and collect alot of items. There is no case to justify making them easier to get. Their whole purpose is to make you waste your time in the game.

My only issue is that getting a Legendary is simply a matter of getting money and buying it, which is rather stupid.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

A legendary should not be random luck. It should be 100% something you work hard for. Some have to work 500x harder to get what they want, thanks to RNG.

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: Moderator.3406

Moderator.3406

Several postings have been removed that were against the rules of this forum.

(edited by Moderator.3406)

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: Disig.7169

Disig.7169

“Legendary Weapons are the end result of an epic adventure in Guild Wars 2. You’ll travel all over, collecting items and amassing materials to build your Legendary Weapon.”

So make it a journey ANET. Farming is not the equivalent of an “epic adventure.” We’re not traveling all over. We’re farming the same kitten events in one area in Cursed Shore over and over and doing Fractals. Ok, world exploration yeah, sure, that counts, but the other mats? The majority BULK of the whole thing? No. This is not an epic adventure. This does not feel like an epic adventure.

If ANET really wants it to be an epic adventure they need to make some changes. They can leave World Explorer in (that was the only thing I enjoyed and it DID feel like an adventure) but if they want people to be engaged something has to give. Maybe an epic questline that is difficult enough that people can’t complete it in a month or less? Get some story in there. Make us FEEL like we really earned the weapon and have some stories to tell about it rather than feeling like we wasted a HELL of a lot of time grinding.

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Svarty.8019

“Legendary Weapons are the end result of an epic adventure in Guild Wars 2. You’ll travel all over the trading post, collecting items and amassing money to buy your Legendary Weapon.”.

Fixt.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

“Legendary Weapons are the end result of an epic adventure in Guild Wars 2. You’ll travel all over the trading post, collecting items and amassing money to buy your Legendary Weapon.”.

Fixt.

Sometimes when I’m feeling a bit saucy, I use the TP in Cursed Shore by Plinx instead of the one in LA. It was like an entirely new adventure!

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

when i feel chancy, i use the OTHER SIDE of the forge, instead of the side closest to the bank NPCs. i guess that is an adventure , too, because i explored the other side of the forge!

i am currently worried about being able to to the ARAH dungeons for the arah shards. i am working on getting badges, ectos, obsidian shards, and clovers. this “epic journey” advertised does not feel legendary, and neither are the “eppec trypz” to the forge or TP to pick up purchased items.

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

The hilariosly tragic part is the more people give up on making precurssors or trying to force them to drop and commit to just buying them, the more their price will explode – because they are contributing to the source of supply drying up.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

SteepledHat.1345

I wasted 100g in the forge trying to get The Legend. It’s a process I won’t soon forget and one that I’ve told all my friends about.

Legendary

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Svarty.8019

when i feel chancy, i use the OTHER SIDE of the forge, instead of the side closest to the bank NPCs. i guess that is an adventure , too, because i explored the other side of the forge!

i am currently worried about being able to to the ARAH dungeons for the arah shards. i am working on getting badges, ectos, obsidian shards, and clovers. this “epic journey” advertised does not feel legendary, and neither are the “eppec trypz” to the forge or TP to pick up purchased items.

Path 3 it with pugs from www.GW2LFG.com – they tend to know what they’re doing.

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: Mazrim.2167

Mazrim.2167

“Legendary Weapons are the end result of an epic adventure in Guild Wars 2. You’ll travel all over, collecting items and amassing materials to build your Legendary Weapon.”

This is BOLLOCKS. What his quote should REALLY say is the following:

“Legendary Weapons are the end result of an epic materials grind & Trading Post hunt in Guild Wars 2. You’ll travel all over the Black Lion Trading Post, buying and amassing materials to build your Legendary Weapon. BUT WAIT!!! THERE’S MORE!!! Players will also get the chance at the Guild Wars 2 Lottery system!!! That’s right — After spending 6-8 hrs per day grinding gold/mats/Trading Post, 5 days per week, for four months straight, players will get the opportunity to shovel DOZENS of level 80 exotic weapons (which were hoarded from super rare drops in level 80 dungeons, and the all-mighty Black Lion Trading Post (2-5g per weapon)) into the MYSTIC FORGE, for a 0.0001% chance at having the mysterious genie of the lamp forming YOUR specific presursor weapon (did I miss a zero?).”

Now don’t get me wrong: I don’t mind time invested. To a point, it makes obtaining the Legendary that much sweeter, and there’s quite a bit of “pride of ownership” associated with that.

—HOWEVER—

Throwing around terms such as “epic adventure”, and “travel”, not to mention “collecting” inspires thoughts of taking on some grand storyline quest, in which the LEGENDARY WEAPON you’re pursuing actually has a specific LORE and actually is LOGICAL not only in the method by which you would obtain it, but in its scope of difficulty assigned to it.

Currently, the only thing we have is a grind-fest of wood, metal, animal parts, mystic baubles, slimy ectoplasm, and the like, with no real attachment of WHY we’re doing those things.

It’s more along the lines of the old-school MMO issues of the lowbie quests given by NPC’s, such as: “Bring me 19 rats-tails………just because you’re level 1.”

Players are more willing to invest their time and energy into doing something NOT too terribly fun if they see a logical structure behind it, and they see a methodology that is sound and gets them involved. As it stands, the whole system is disconnected from players, and outside of looks, there’s no sincere motivation to get players to actually go for the weapons to begin with.

EverQuest1 got epic weapons right (think “Legendary” when I say epic): You had to go through a storyline, everything you got towards the weapon was (MOSTLY) logical, and you had to do much more than just grind mats and hope the RNG pities you that day.

Tell me ONE MORE TIME, Anet: Exactly WHY do I need to bring so-and-so 1000 animal’s blood and body parts to make a Longbow made out of mystic vines, light energy, and live birds? (I assume so since birds chirp whenever you have the weapon equipped lol)

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: Tim.9850

Tim.9850

I wasted 100g in the forge trying to get The Legend. It’s a process I won’t soon forget and one that I’ve told all my friends about.

Legendary

I was not aware of the cost of all this until reading the forums. Guess I will stop all crafting as it obviously is a total waste of time and money. I have also lost hope in getting any armor that I liked.

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Legendary

I was not aware of the cost of all this until reading the forums. Guess I will stop all crafting as it obviously is a total waste of time and money. I have also lost hope in getting any armor that I liked.

Don’t give up hope. Just adjust expectations. Legendaries only come with a specific stat set and you can’t transmute, so you may be legitimately better off with an exotic weapon. If you were just going for an epic skin, there are nice skins on much cheaper exotic weapons. See http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Forge/Other_Items and http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_weapons.

I’m making it a long-term project to get my legendary. I don’t need it right away. And I’m playing this game to have fun.

I want Incinerator because of awesome skin and special effects, but for my other weapons I’m probably going to go for a cool and cheap(er) MF weapon or dungeon exotic.

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: Mazrim.2167

Mazrim.2167

Legendary

Don’t give up hope. Just adjust expectations. Legendaries only come with a specific stat set and you can’t transmute, so you may be legitimately better off with an exotic weapon. If you were just going for an epic skin, there are nice skins on much cheaper exotic weapons. See http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Forge/Other_Items and http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_weapons.

I’m making it a long-term project to get my legendary. I don’t need it right away. And I’m playing this game to have fun.

I want Incinerator because of awesome skin and special effects, but for my other weapons I’m probably going to go for a cool and cheap(er) MF weapon or dungeon exotic.

Cheaper?? Not by much considering the relative costs of the materials involved.

I wanted to craft the Shortbow Aether, until I realized it called for 100 Charged Lodestones.

i farm sparks outside of Arah nearly every day for 2-4 hours per day. Been doing that for the month I’ve been playing regularly. 5 days per week average. I have nearly 100% MF. Know how many I’ve found in nearly a month of farming?

ONE.

ONE STUPID LODESTONE. GG Anet, you’ve managed to break the drop rates of nearly EVERYTHING worthwhile to obtain.

Oh — And they’re nearly 5g on the TP. That’s 500g straight up.

I could spend another months time, pay 500g (100 for the runestones, 400g for the precursor), and have a better looking bow (talking about Kudzu, NOT Dreamer, though killing someone in PvP with a My Little Pony bow that shoots Nyan-cats would be a rofflecopter moment, I agree, just Kudzu happens to be my 1st priority).

So WHY again are the particle effect exotics “cheaper”?

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: Dreamslayer.7659

Dreamslayer.7659

I think some of you are making unwarranted assumptions about the value of certain weapon skins.

Legendary weapons require a lot of things to make and it has been said that they will always remain best in slot.

The expensive to craft exotics like Mjolnir may cost as much as or more than a legendary, but they don’t require karma, clovers, map completion, etc. Also, if and when they do up the level cap, I’m sure you will be able to transmute skins on to higher level stats.

My point is that it’s not a purely vertical hierarchy and the value of anything is not just about it’s stats or capability – it’s about perception.

(I’m still considering selling my Juggernaut to make Mjolnir)

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: Cardstar.1963

Cardstar.1963

If Anet made the odds in the Forge become dependent rather than independent everyone would be happier.

So if the odds of getting what you want are 1/500 then the second time it becomes 1/499 and so on. You still have the chance to get it on first hit but the longer you keep dumping stuff in the better your chance. If you are really unlucky you will still get it on the 500th flush.

<paste generic, tired historical quote here>

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

SteepledHat.1345

If Anet made the odds in the Forge become dependent rather than independent everyone would be happier.

So if the odds of getting what you want are 1/500 then the second time it becomes 1/499 and so on. You still have the chance to get it on first hit but the longer you keep dumping stuff in the better your chance. If you are really unlucky you will still get it on the 500th flush.

Now, now. Good ideas aren’t allowed. Something this simple to implement is not acceptable. The process must be complicated and annoying.

The Legendary Letdown

in Crafting

Posted by: Lithuen.9067

Lithuen.9067

“Get better.” That’s funny. By “better” that means have the gods of randomness smile down upon you more? If you’re in a zone where only certain drops can occur, and you’re functional enough to farm the zone…I’d say “better” has nothing to do with it.

“Buy it.” If you’re patient enough and amass your gold as a good player should you can just buy what you need. Uh huh. That’s “accomplishment,” right? Progress through the game to the bitter end and come up with nothing as a reward so just grind and buy like us smart people do…nice. I like the double standard there. It’s so – modern.

Truth is, as in all games I’ve played, these “legendary” ulti-weapons are time sinks – nothing more. Keep the chicken pecking the button and the kernel of corn will drop…eventually. Isaiah is no different than the rest of the sideshow barkers. He’s insulated enough to have no repercussions for misrepresentations about what’s in the tent. You exit out the back…not the front where he’s…barking.

Rewards commensurate with the level/Crafting that’s significant in the course of play – not having to become a farming, merchant-hound to see results/The ulti-weapon being the natural outcome for the time and effort spent in NORMAL gameplay – NOT judicious grinding in “the right zone”; all DESIRES of veteran gamers, ALL NEVER to be seen as…the real “reason to keep playing” is to DEVS – the time sink.

It’s a shame. It’s too bad. I would say “despite their best intentions,” but then I’d have to believe the barker when he proclaims his intentions, Arenanet has proven to be no “better” than the rest.

The “differences” then just become visual and mechanical. I’m really going to have a good laugh when they introduce their eventual Dungeon Finder. Join the ranks of LOTRO and WoW, (and lord knows how many others) Arenanet. You “talk” a good game.

“Smile,” he said. “Things could be worse.”
He smiled, and sure enough, things got worse.