There need to be more ways to get precursor weapons

in Crafting

Posted by: Uder.9187

Uder.9187

Those legendaries are meant to be that…legendary. I don´t want to see everyone running around with a legendary in the next 6 months, so i like how it currently is.

The Iron Triangle – Desolation
Leina Shade | Svea Lightbringer | Maximus Ironhide | Mara Deathblossom

in Crafting

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

I’d rather getting a legendary be hard rather than just require luck and/or a high tolerance for tedium. But that’s not really what we got. All of the materials (minus perhaps the precursor) are very easy to obtain. It just requires doing a certain task a looooooot.

I really like that World Completion is part of it; that feels like an accomplishment, though I wouldn’t say it’s difficult exactly. Grinding out karma/materials/dungeon doesn’t feel terribly epic, because it’s not hard — just tedious.

EDIT: Something like requiring a unique item from each jumping puzzle would have been cool. Sure, some of these aren’t super hard, but they’re at least about doing different content requiring you to have “been there, done that” and not doing the same content over and over again.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

(edited by Rainshine.5493)

in Crafting

Posted by: Karpalo.5148

Karpalo.5148

GW2 is starting to look like authentic Diablo 3 experience. With large trading post along comes atrocious drop chances. As always there are bugs to be exploited early on that expand the gold supply and push prices to the levels that are plain out absurd for legit players. Damage is done and it will take long time, if ever, to mend it.

Just like the real world. Play by the rules, obey laws and pay taxes just to realize that nothing good will ever come from that. GG! Might as well go play the stock market and get shafted there.

(edited by Karpalo.5148)

in Crafting

Posted by: deathTouch.9706

deathTouch.9706

Malediktus.9250: Crafting, easily, if you know which items to craft. I went from 30g to 180g in about 12 hours crafting a bunch of different items when profit margins were high and volume traded was high. I have helped make spreadsheets to track rising and falling prices of mats and products in real time and calculate profit margins and, before that, I simply thought about what items I thought might be most profitable to sell. I took a risk and crafted the world’s first Triforge pendant, and before doing so, invested heavily in the mats before I posted the pendant on the forums. My investment quadrupled in value overnight. I’ve put in the work required to make lots of money, legitimately, in this game, and thus don’t have much sympathy for others who are content to complain about a change in the system, devaluing the work of those who have legitimately obtained their precursors and legendary weapons, rather than put in the work themselves.

Have some of the people in this game who have huge amounts of money exploited to obtain that? Yes, certainly. Are there others who obtained it legitimately as a result of performing services in the economy, satisfying supply/demand, cutting costs of manufacturing to increase profit margins, and invested broadly and intelligently in commodities? Yes, that’s what I did. Exploiters should be dealt with on a case by case basis, but I cannot agree for an across-the-board devaluing (which any recipe will do for these weapons) of precursors.

Here’s a hint to everyone trying to get precursors: Stop throwing exotics into the forge. Your cost/trial compared to average sell price is enormous compared to throwing rares into the forge. If you throw exotics into the forge, you’re literally throwing your money away. Cost of using exotics is about 10x more than rares or more. Your chance of obtaining an exotic might be higher, but not nearly enough to warrant the additional costs. I think it took me approximately 500 combines until I got my first Dawn and, up until that point, I had recovered 90% of my money invested in swords.

V deathTouch V – Warrior
STD [Scarlet Gave Me Harpies]
Maguuma

in Crafting

Posted by: Archer.6485

Archer.6485

@death Touch

Congratulations, you made crazy amounts of money, but some of us don’t want to play the TP, we just want to play the game and get the legendary at our own pace. The problem is, there’s not enough od them!

Current prices don’t even matter because the supply on the TP is way way way too low. Last time I checked there was one Dusk. ONE Dusk for the entire game population???? Sure there’ll be more eventually but the fact that there’s so few of them at any given time makes me think there is a problem. If they’re appearing at such a slow pace what are the odds that everyone going after it will get a chance to obtain it?

I don’t know how fast they’re appearing but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was only 1 per day now. If only 1000 people want to craft Twilight, that means It’s going to take almost 3 years for the supply to reach the demand. That’s just completely insane.

It’s not the price it’s the exclusivity. I don’t care about the money you made, what I do care about is that people like you can have a legendary because you amde the money so fast and the rest of us need to fall into a potentially infinite line because the supply is lacking BECAUSE of an insanely low RNG.

To put it in one single sentence: I want crafting a legendary to be PvE NOT economy PvP.

in Crafting

Posted by: Genev.2450

Genev.2450

Think you’re also pretty unlucky you want the greatsword. Everyone wants the greatsword since people actually knows what it looks like, and its gorgeous.

I just want my longbow, nobody cares about the longbow atm.
That’ll probably change before i get mine, but ill just ahve to hope i have my precursor before that happens

in Crafting

Posted by: Cerise.9045

Cerise.9045

The increase in rarity on the base weapons made them value at 80% or more of the total value of a legendary weapon.

80% of getting a legendary is based on throwing a 5000 sided dice and getting a specific number

someone had their head on backwards when they thought this was good game design

I’m really happy I got this part of my legendary out of the way on launch, before this stupid move was made.

Let me put on my game design hat for this.

Want to make a legendary cost more money?

• Increase the price of icy lodestones, or increase the amount of ecto needed.

Want to make taking a legendary take longer?

• Increase the skill point requirement, or the karma requirement.

Want to make people hate the game and question the developers sanity?

• Take a component for the legendary that used to have a reasonable chance of obtaining it trough the forge or had the alternative of buying it at a reasonable price and change it so that it’s rarer than winning the lottery or more expensive than any of the other components for the legendary combined.

(edited by Cerise.9045)

in Crafting

Posted by: lackofcheese.5617

lackofcheese.5617

The increase in rarity on the base weapons made them value at 80% or more of the total value of a legendary weapon.

Well, at current prices that isn’t true. Even for Dusk the proportion of the total value is less than 50%.

in Crafting

Posted by: Morkath.9702

Morkath.9702

Well frankly for me this has killed a large portion of the end game.

I’ve worked up enough money to get the full T3 culture set, my next goal was the Legendary but I can’t stand RNG, I despise the very concept since in my 12 years of MMO gaming not once have I ever been “lucky”, once I ran a dungeon 50 times for a regular set item that refused to drop, If not for dungeon tokens I’d have stopped playing MMO’s by now. So instead of relying on RNG I put in a serious amount of effort in every other aspect of the game to get what I want.

I solo farmed all of the materials in vanilla WoW to create the legendary weapon Thunderfury, thats 5000 golds worth of materials at time when people said it was only possible for guilds to afford, I got the first half of the prison from the raid dungeon and the second half didn’t drop in over a year, at which point i gave up on it.

I’ve thrown in an excessive amount of rare level 80 Greatswords already and gotten a single exotic one back, I did it because I hoped I might get lucky, well I didn’t and I sure as hell won’t waste more time on it. RNG is considered by myself and pretty much all of my friends to be a complete lack of imagination on the part of the devs.

Should Legendaries be easy to get? no of course not, but RNG means that some people have to work their backsides off whereas others just get lucky, that might be Anet and some players idea of fun but it sure as hell ain’t mine. At present I don;t look at a Legendary weapon wielder and think “They must have put in a lot of effort”, instead I look at them and think “Someone probably won the Mystic lottery”.

So…I’ll play out the rest of the dungeons with my still levelling friends and probably end up shelving GW2 until they put some real non RNG based PVE end game content in.

(edited by Morkath.9702)

in Crafting

Posted by: Morkath.9702

Morkath.9702

I’m currently working on my legendary. I do not have the precursor

I’m taking it easy, collecting as i go along, and it feels like i’m making real progress. I do really want it, and I will get it, but i know i won’t get it tomorrow, it will likely take me a few more months, and in that time, so much can happen. Including me getting the precursor.
With the attitude i’m seeing it, if i would have 3 out of 4 parts of the Legendary, i wouldn’t be all like “OMG SO MUCH WORK AND NOW I HAVE TO RELY ON kittenING RNG!” I would go “Omg! So close! Only 1 more item! /happydance

Have you ever considered taking on that attitude?

Edit: Fail, it didn’t put “kitten” in all caps

A very possible and reasonable outcome, myself being one of those people that just defies the laws of probability in the worst possible way I’d probably have all of the components ready and would still not have the precursor after years of throwing swords in the forge.

I’d throw 1000 swords in over a period of 6 months if I was sure it wouldn’t be a colossal waste of my life, as it is there’s a possibility it will be, the end result of which would be my inevitable and irrational distaste for GW2 and it’s developers. There are better ways than RNG if only you just used your imagination.

So the lucky few can keep their Legendary weapons and I’ll go play something else since one of GW2’s primary PVE end game activities is heavily reliant on a 0.2% success rate 1g a try lottery.

(edited by Morkath.9702)

in Crafting

Posted by: psilosopher.5807

psilosopher.5807

Here’s a hint to everyone trying to get precursors: Stop throwing exotics into the forge. Your cost/trial compared to average sell price is enormous compared to throwing rares into the forge. If you throw exotics into the forge, you’re literally throwing your money away. Cost of using exotics is about 10x more than rares or more. Your chance of obtaining an exotic might be higher, but not nearly enough to warrant the additional costs. I think it took me approximately 500 combines until I got my first Dawn and, up until that point, I had recovered 90% of my money invested in swords.

The exotic greatswords I bought cost less than a gold (used to be 75 silver about a week ago)

Beorn The Berserker
Level 80 Norn Warrior

in Crafting

Posted by: cubed.2853

cubed.2853

Are there others who obtained it legitimately as a result of performing services in the economy, satisfying supply/demand, cutting costs of manufacturing to increase profit margins, and invested broadly and intelligently in commodities? Yes, that’s what I did.

- – that’s absolutly not why I play a game and a legendary would give me a reason to play in different areas, complete map, wvw ,(…) I dont play to just battle an imaginary economy in front of the tp panel and to hope to be smarter then the rest… After all you’re just perform those action on some database rows – my life-time simply does not worth such actions – and time is the only resource that is constantly floating away… ;-)

There are better ways than RNG if only you just used your imagination.

Absolutely it could even be harder but at least you would know – luck is everything but not “legendary” – maybe it should be named “Weapons of Luck”. Probability is never fair ^^

edit: I just read Is it fun? Yes absolutly – as long as you don’t think on a legendary ;-) A huge cheer to the dev staff and studio heads – I play no other mmo because it is more like occupational therapy then anything else – I stopped Anarchy Online when GW1 was released because of this attitude – you did a great job on breaking the rules and not following everyone else just because it is to much financial risk in creating something really new. but I still think you missed it with the legendary… Don’t you think that one for each account after story first completed would be even more fun ? Just imagine if everyone would receive a weapon everyone would have a reason to visit dungeons, wvw or explorer the map. Sounds like a lot more of fun to me :-)

it was written…

(edited by cubed.2853)

in Crafting

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Looks like precursors go up in price again. All 250g+ Dawns and even a 300g Dawn vanished from TP today.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in Crafting

Posted by: cubed.2853

cubed.2853

Looks like precursors go up in price again. All 250g+ Dawns and even a 300g Dawn vanished from TP today.

The gap between buy and sell is so high that some folks will focus on controlling this – if you have enough gold it should not be as hard I guess. Why use bots if you can just turn a legendary chaser into a “bot” ;-) Would be really nice if one could see who those sellers buyers actually are. It is very strange that their are sometimes more than ONE 150+gold buy offers with exact same value. In the end only John Smith really knows the answer…

it was written…

in Crafting

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

It means that someone is probably buying them at those prices. You could try making a dusk and probably get like 30g profit (unless you’re lucky enough to win a dusk/dawn on the first try then over 200g profit), that’s including undercutting the current sellers by 10g =)

in Crafting

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Price has far exceeded value, and therefore they’re expensive -_-

When % rates for prerequesite items were nerfed naturally that created a scarcity where their value would increase, but now they’re to the point where we’re probably better off making our own prerequisites.

in Crafting

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

No you need about 2000 rare greatswords to have a decent chance to get a dawn/dusk. Not worth it unless you dont mind going out empty.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in Crafting

Posted by: Belmont.4682

Belmont.4682

So, 3 pages, more than 100 posts, and no word has been given by Anet regarding this subject? Cant we at least get a “okay guys, we acknowledge this and will be discussing it later” or a “sorry guys, not gonna happen”?

Edit: nevermind https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/crafting/Official-Response-Drop-Rate-of-Legendary-Precursors

in Crafting

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Idea I posted in a different thread:

Allow players to craft the precursor weapons. That means they are going to have to have 400 of either artificing, weapon smithing, or hunting. Which they will need anyways if they are going to make a legendary weapon.

Now. There are several ways they could make the process unique for these weapons but this is the one I think would work best.

Make the “discovery” require 4 parts. There are 4 boxes in the discovery window, yet nothing else in the game actually uses all 4 boxes that I’m aware of.

The 4 separate parts could then be sold by npcs that only spawn after various events. Better yet would be to create events in various zones that only happen very rarely, like once a week and have these npcs only spawn after they are completed.

The 4 separate parts would then each cost 20-30 gold. To put it in a way that Anet might understand, this would be a pretty decent gold sink.

In the end it would end up costing a person 80 to 120g depending on how much the 4 parts would be sold for. But the important thing is that it would allow people to feel like they are making progress towards their chosen weapon. At the same time it would keep the costs of these weapons constant (yet still rare) and people could actually work towards them without having to rely on RNG or super inflated prices on the market.

There are so many benefits to having a process like this created that it’s really blows my mind that the only thing Anet could come up with is RNG. The foremost among those reasons is that it takes a huge grind and breaks it up in to pieces that actually feel manageable. Second is that it doesn’t require the entire player base to be at the mercy of greedy players. While this idea isn’t all that refined I think it’s a hell of a lot better than the current “system”.