Vanilla (and the lack thereof...)

in Crafting

Posted by: Arreyanne.2683

Arreyanne.2683

Since the change with 6 character’s 2 80’s and the rest spread between 21-54 I have gotten 5 vanilla beans.

the drop rate on this item atrocious period

in Crafting

Posted by: Varonth.5830

Varonth.5830

Vanilla
http://www.gw2db.com/trading-post/25065-vanilla-bean-s

Orichalcum Ore
http://www.gw2db.com/trading-post/654-orichalcum-ore

At the current rate vanilla will become more expensive than ori in about 24 hours.

in Crafting

Posted by: Ninth Requiem.3250

Ninth Requiem.3250

I’ve had good fortune with it in Metrica and Brisban from the herbs. There’s an advantage there over Maelstom / Sparkfly, as you can use any Master sickles you happen to have (seems to really push up rate).
It’s still far too rare for how many recipes use it though. It’s kind of ridiculous that the most expensive/hard-to-get item in an omnombar isn’t the high-level berry, it’s the low-level vanilla bean.

in Crafting

Posted by: seventhson.6932

seventhson.6932

Since the change with 6 character’s 2 80’s and the rest spread between 21-54 I have gotten 5 vanilla beans.

the drop rate on this item atrocious period

Yeah i completely agree with this, also I have run around metrica province and brisbane many times totally wasting my time (thanks anet) and haven’t gotten squat for vanilla beans. So don’t just say “oh go farm the lowbie areas”, NO, not everyone is as lucky as some of you special snowflakes. Nor should I have to waste my time doing it.

in Crafting

Posted by: ShadowbaneX.6273

ShadowbaneX.6273

What about me who says “go farm the high level areas”? I get like a dozen vanilla beans every time I spend some time running around Mount Maelstrom or Sparkfly Fen.

I do think that the drops should increase to balance the obviously high demand, but the stuff is out there, from both Mature & Verdant Herb nodes. Luck very well might be a factor, but then it always is with RNG.

Heroes of the Horn [HotH] – Yak’s Bend

in Crafting

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

This is starting to just get silly, the price of vanilla is the same as ORICHALCUM.

ANet, when a base material for all levels is the same price as the top tier crafting material that is on a 24 hour respawn to prevent farming and keep the price high, YOU’RE DOING SOMETHING WRONG.

in Crafting

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

3.2 Silver and still rising…

I Farm coriander regularly. I can easily get 50 of them in a 6 hour shift when the nodes spawn properly. Vanilla, however, I could not get more than 15 of them in that same time frame. Arenanet needs to investigate this issue closer as it’s starting to affect my Guildmates from City of Heroes who are the most casual players I know. Something is indeed buggy or just not right here.

in Crafting

Posted by: GimliMan.9078

GimliMan.9078

http://www.gw2db.com/trading-post/25065-vanilla-bean-s

The price dropped! It’s still ridiculous, but as more people realize they can sell it, supply will gradually increase. As it is, supply has increased 50% in the past 24 hours.

in Crafting

Posted by: vjek.4270

vjek.4270

This is starting to just get silly, the price of vanilla is the same as ORICHALCUM.

ANet, when a base material for all levels is the same price as the top tier crafting material that is on a 24 hour respawn to prevent farming and keep the price high, YOU’RE DOING SOMETHING WRONG.

Unless ArenaNets business model is based on people buying gold from them. In which case, everything is moving towards “ideal”.

See that exchange rate trending upward? See all the changes that have resulted in that exchange rate trending upward? Two of these things have something in common.

in Crafting

Posted by: Midnight.9205

Midnight.9205

I’m going to update my original information on page 1 – that was where I said I had 5 Vanilla Beans after a few weeks, and had decided to spend one to discover a recipe.

I spent about 2 hours in Caledon Forest, and found none. I went all over Queensdale, to no effect. I went to Sparkfly Fen, cleared half the zone, and found none.

But, when I logged back in to Sparkfly Fen a few hours later, for a second shot, one node gave me three beans.

As a result, I now have a total of 7 Vanilla Beans. To put this into some context, I play a minimum of 4 hours a day, every day, since head start (I know these weren’t always a drop though), and weekends I play 12 hours a day minimum. This thread was posted 19 days ago, and that was after the change to this item to have it drop, rather than be purchased.

That means, I have played somewhere around 108 hours since this thread was posted, and found 3 Vanilla Beans. Yes, I will certainly say up front that I haven’t actively been looking for all that time, but I do herb everything I come across, too – and tend not to spend much time in Orr, and to add to that I have several alts that get played from time to time.

Mind – I’m not ranting here – I did want to present the facts of the situation here to update knowledge on this topic – but I would have to add that cooking on the character that’s doing that discipline for me has pretty much stalled – mainly because I feel there’s little point in levelling it (my desire being to make Raspberry Peach Bar and Omnomberry Bar for myself – but without a good supply of Vanilla Beans, that won’t be possible).

in Crafting

Posted by: CHOAM.7852

CHOAM.7852

Just to provide another perspective:

Today, I got 2 harvests of vanilla beans (4 + 5 beans) in Metrica Province off about 10-20 Herb Seedlings in total that I harvested through map completion.

in Crafting

Posted by: hrhomer.2037

hrhomer.2037

The other day, after a short session killing centaurs and just gathering what I found, I almost passed out at the vendor when I saw that I had somewhere harvested FIVE COUNT ‘EM FIVE vanilla beans, and hadn’t even noticed!

in Crafting

Posted by: DJSkittles.7196

DJSkittles.7196

wow, im pretty sure I bought a kitten load of these in bulk, thank god.

in Crafting

Posted by: Fadari.6479

Fadari.6479

I have a food locations document that you can download and print. (no tabbing in and out) It’s all post patch and been confirmed by me. These are my results to date and I continue to work on the info crafting has for us. In my sig.

in Crafting

Posted by: AKGator.9175

AKGator.9175

I also found (7) Vanilla Beans in Metrica over this past weekend.

SoS – Tears of the Fallen (FLLN)
LVL 80 Norn Guardian
LVL 80 Slyvari Ranger

in Crafting

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

this is a pretty cray phenomenon. last night i helped the wife scavenging for vanilla beans for a bit. we netted a total of 7, which i guess is actually not bad O___________o

any reason why they took ’em out from the karma vendors??

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Crafting

Posted by: NoOneShotU.3479

NoOneShotU.3479

it was too easy to powerskill cooking. Now you have to be creative and do discoveries around vanilla rather than just karma it up.

in Crafting

Posted by: Artemis Noir.3804

Artemis Noir.3804

Last night I decided to pick up some skill points, and for the Hell of it I decided to focus on the warmer regions of the map to see if I could grab some vanilla at the same time. I ran around said regions for around two hours, and my attention was focused far more on checking for skill point icons than it was on resource nodes. I ended up with about 15 vanilla beans without even trying; I’m sure I even missed some, since they weren’t my priority.

Considering that vanilla is derived from the vanilla orchid in real life, it makes sense, that it would only be found in the tropical regions of Tyria.
Now, I don’t know if the spawn rate has been increased, or if I was just lucky. I wanted to throw my experience out there though.

I do tend to think, though, that the loot tables need some rebalancing. I have enough cinnamon, butter, walnuts and chocolate to keep a baked goods addict going for several years into the future; however, items such as vanilla, oranges, coriander and cloves are far more scarce.

The changes in cooking have went from one extreme to the other, and that is fine if you want to make crafting more difficult to level on the whole. But, if you are going to start doing that, then you also need to take a hard look at Jewellery, which is ridiculously easy and requires far fewer mats than the other crafts. I have managed to get my jeweller to 300 without actually trying, and I’ve spent nothing in the process.

in Crafting

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Where exactly are people fining vanilla? I’ve checked Caledon Forest, Kessix Hills, Gendarin, Queensland, Bloodtide Coast, Harathi Hinterlands, Blazeridge Steppes, Diessa Plateau, Iron Marches, Fireheart Rise, Fields of Ruin, and some of the Norn Areas, and probably some more areas that I can’t remember. Can someone narrow down my search for me?

And I really wish that vanilla would be added to carrot nodes. Just a little vanilla.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Crafting

Posted by: Artemis Noir.3804

Artemis Noir.3804

@ Katz,
I was running around Caledon Forest, Metrica, Brisban Wilds and Sparkfly Fen. I’m sorry I can’t narrow it down more than that, I didn’t make a note of any nearby landmarks. Though come to think of it, I probably should have.

in Crafting

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Thanks for the answer. I did not try 3 of those areas. Back to harvesting!

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Crafting

Posted by: Jatari Thundercloud.3794

Jatari Thundercloud.3794

I agree Vanilla prices have gone crazy and the price is still climbing. With so many now making the omnom bars i see the price only climbing more to a level that will hurt players who are’nt as wealthy as some. The drop rate is still terribly low as when i do find a herb plant that decides to give me vanilla bean its like 4 beans and took me an hour to do that. so easy to farm more valued items such as Orich . Hopefully something can be balanced price or drop rate or sumtin..

Defensive Tactical Commander
Server : Dragonbrand

(edited by Jatari Thundercloud.3794)

in Crafting

Posted by: NoOneShotU.3479

NoOneShotU.3479

@ Katz,
I was running around Caledon Forest, Metrica, Brisban Wilds and Sparkfly Fen. I’m sorry I can’t narrow it down more than that, I didn’t make a note of any nearby landmarks. Though come to think of it, I probably should have.

I’ve got it in Metrica and Sparkfly Fen. I’d say Metrica Province is your best chance. There are 2-3 nodes it can spawn in as one of the options.

in Crafting

Posted by: fullbustmaid.4280

fullbustmaid.4280

The issue with vanilla beans being rare compared to some other ingredients is that they’re needed in many recipes either as the ingredient itself or as a component. Chief among these is Bowl of Baker’s Wet ingredients (often goes hand in hand with Bowl of Baker’s Dry Ingredients which can be made entirely through ingredients bought from a nearby NPC) and Bowl of White Frosting has a handful of uses too.

At the very least, the balance just isn’t there.

in Crafting

Posted by: Kimos.5098

Kimos.5098

How much vanilla is needed to go from 1-400 with the popular guides that all seem to use it? I found 5 in metrica and am debating farming and doing cooking myself or just having someone else make me food with what I find.

in Crafting

CHOAM.7852

How much vanilla is needed to go from 1-400 with the popular guides that all seem to use it? I found 5 in metrica and am debating farming and doing cooking myself or just having someone else make me food with what I find.

I used less than 10 without following a guide. I would not be surprised if there’s a way to bypass them completely if you don’t mind producing an XP’ing recipe with easier to access materials instead of discovering recipes requiring vanilla.

in Crafting

Posted by: kenco.8475

kenco.8475

Rare?? As my Grandmother used to say “rare as rocking horse ****” in fact I think that would be more common as I have yet to even see 1 Vanilla bean.
I have never run by a node wether it be mine/tree/herb without gathering it, none from the tons of bags I’ve opened so what is the real chance to get a Vanilla Bean 0.00000000000000000000000000001%?

in Crafting

CHOAM.7852

Rare?? As my Grandmother used to say “rare as rocking horse ****” in fact I think that would be more common as I have yet to even see 1 Vanilla bean.
I have never run by a node wether it be mine/tree/herb without gathering it, none from the tons of bags I’ve opened so what is the real chance to get a Vanilla Bean 0.00000000000000000000000000001%?

I’m pretty sure I harvested nodes and opened bags less than 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times.

in Crafting

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

It’s expensive coz it’s used for the omnomberry bar which grants 30%MF and 40% inc gold from mobs that people use for farming. And doing dungeons often has boss that drop alot of silver (in ac alone final boss drop 15s. so +40% = 21s, and ofc the champion mobs drop 5s with becomes 9s).

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.