Why do Jewelers get hosed at 400?

in Crafting

Posted by: Ruwe.9612

Ruwe.9612

Are we the only profession that requires Globs of Ectoplasm to craft our level 80 Rares? Not exotics, but just plain old rares. It takes 3 Globs per piece, plus the standard 15 jewels of whichever stats your shooting for.

My buddy is a Tailor and he does not require Globs to craft his rares… why should Jewelers be any different in that regard?

Am I missing something here?

in Crafting

Posted by: Nemain.9802

Nemain.9802

Armorsmithing needs it for exotics.
We do need a kittenload of other items (large claws etc) for rares.

in Crafting

Ruwe.9612

Yeah, we have to have 5 globs per exotic.

For Rares we need 15 of whatever type of jewel (same as other professions for insignias) plus three globs of ectoplasm. Per Rare.

I’m not complaining about requiring the 15 jewels, that’s pretty standard across the board, but need the ectoplasm for rares, when, as far as I can tell, we’re the only profession to require it? Just silly.

in Crafting

Posted by: Brian.8037

Brian.8037

I don’t know why you are complaining but you’re horribly mistaking, I’m an artificer lv 400 and i need 5 globs of ectoplasm too, as far as i know all exotic items need 5 of them, maybe some do less or none but I haven’t found any of those, do you really think ArenaNet would make 1 crafting extremely unfair, that would be weird.

in Crafting

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

The reason hes complaining is because for his RARE gear he needs 3, then he still needs the 5 for his EXOTIC. While he understands the EXOTIC as every other profession needs it he does not under stand why he needs 3 for RARE when no other class needs it.

in Crafting

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I don’t know why you are complaining but you’re horribly mistaking, I’m an artificer lv 400 and i need 5 globs of ectoplasm too, as far as i know all exotic items need 5 of them, maybe some do less or none but I haven’t found any of those, do you really think ArenaNet would make 1 crafting extremely unfair, that would be weird.

He’s talking about rares, not exotics.

in Crafting

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Your argument falls on two fronts.
1. you are giving ectos a higher value than every other mats and it is NOT. I have more ectos than I have level 300 poisons.
2. jewelrycrafting requires FAR less mats to craft each item than almost any other crafts. But more importantly, you seem to be giving ectos some arbitrarily higher value than the other mats, which which again is not.

I just leveled my jewelrycraft to 400 today it took me last time AND money to do it than it did for my LW and huntsman.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in Crafting

SiNoS.2147

1. you are giving ectos a higher value than every other mats and it is NOT. I have more ectos than I have level 300 poisons.
2. jewelrycrafting requires FAR less mats to craft each item than almost any other crafts. But more importantly, you seem to be giving ectos some arbitrarily higher value than the other mats, which which again is not.

I just leveled my jewelrycraft to 400 today it took me last time AND money to do it than it did for my LW and huntsman.

One Glob of Ecto goes for more than 3 times more than any other craft mat on my server. So while it may only be 3 i can tell you on my server those 3 instantly make it cost more than the 15 fine mats i need to craft a rare on my armorsmith. Add the fact he still needs 15 items that run simular cost to my 15 fine mats and he has a reason to complain.

in Crafting

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

One Glob of Ecto goes for more than 3 times more than any other craft mat on my server. So while it may only be 3 i can tell you on my server those 3 instantly make it cost more than the 15 fine mats i need to craft a rare on my armorsmith. Add the fact he still needs 15 items that run simular cost to my 15 fine mats and he has a reason to complain.

Your argument fails when you realize that arenanet does not set the prices for ectos. The market determine that other mats are less valuable than Ectos but that’s besides the point.

I can tell you that powerful bloods(400) more than ectos on certain days, also the TP is global not server based. AND I can tell you that getting gossamer, leather, ecto and blood is much harder than getting ectos. Anyways, if you cant understand that then further discussion with you is pointless. the point being overall, jewelrycrafting has it easy compared to the other crafters.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in Crafting

Posted by: BlackDeath.8106

BlackDeath.8106

To all those who are saying, we need 5 glob of extoplasm and also 5 TIER 6 blue mats ( i said it Tier 6) to craft lvl 80 exotics, yeah JC too need those too. However, if you guys had the brains to read his post you will understand that he is talking about crafting RARES and not exotics. For Jewelers to craft rare level 80, we need 3 glob of ectoplasms in addition to the other mats required.

in Crafting

SiNoS.2147

Your argument fails when you realize that arenanet does not set the prices for ectos. The market determine that other mats are less valuable than Ectos but that’s besides the point.

I can tell you that powerful bloods(400) more than ectos on certain days, also the TP is global not server based. AND I can tell you that getting gossamer, leather, ecto and blood is much harder than getting ectos. Anyways, if you cant understand that then further discussion with you is pointless. the point being overall, jewelrycrafting has it easy compared to the other crafters.

Frankly it doesent matter if ANet sets the price or not. That has nothing to do with the this discussion. As for your powerful blood, guess what there not used in the level 80 rare craft armor/weapons, where as the Ecto’s are for JC, and they are always between 20-30 silver. But all of that is also besides the fact. In the end there is no reason to have a mat every other class only needs for exotic and make it required for JC rare. ALSO to point something out to you that you seem to fail to realize. Blood is only required for Berserker’s. While those globs are required for each and every rare craft jewelery there is which makes it much more expensive.

(edited by SiNoS.2147)

in Crafting

Posted by: Lillium.6481

Lillium.6481

As another JC, I concur with the unfair requirement of ectos for RARES.

Market completely aside (I reached 400 before the trading post was up), ecto are incredibly more difficult to obtain than fine crafting materials (the blue stuff). Ecto take salvaging infrequent and expensive items with an expensive kit, and you have a chance to get 1-3. Or you may get none at all. For a new 80, obtaining enough to level jeweler even from 387 (the point where you can no longer discover greens for xp) to 400 is a nigh impossible task.

The only rationalization I can see for the inequality of jewelry costs is that Anet wanted to impress upon players how much more important weapons and armor are to your effectiveness than your jewelry. Armor actually gives an armor value, you need it to stay alive. Weapons have a damage value, its necessary to deal damage and kill things. Jewelry only provide more stats. Stats are important! But a much smaller contribution, and not as immediately needed.

in Crafting

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Not letting me quote, no idea why… but:

"

I just leveled my jewelrycraft to 400 today it took me last time AND money to do it than it did for my LW and huntsman."

None of what you have said here is true. In fact it is all patently false.

1. Ectos do in fact have a higher cost then other mats because:
a. They are exotic quality other mats are fine quality
b.Their vendor price is 2s 64c, while even T6 fine quality mats vendor for less then 1s
c. Their market price is 20x that of level 300 poisons.

You could easily sell 1 Ecto and buy 15-20 fine mats. Value is set by the market price nothing else.

2. I’m not sure where you got your numbers but JC costs just as much in mats if not more then other professions. Sure you need less variety but each individual mat costs much more. They need a huge amount of metals particularly silver and gold which cost over double the amount of the same tier metals that other professions use.

Agains Ectos DO have a higher value then other mats as shown above.

in Crafting

Posted by: Dashel.8056

Dashel.8056

Here is a random Rare Quality item from Leatherworking:
Rampager’s Noble Boots
http://www.guildhead.com/recipe/793206/rampagers-noble-boots

Rampager’s Intricate Silk Insignia[s] (1)
Thick Boot Sole[s] (2)
Thick Boot Upper[s] (1)

Boot upper and sole cost a few leather and some vendor bought silk spools.
Rampager’s Intricate Silk Insignia[s]
Ingredients:
Potent Venom Sac[s] (15)
Spool[s] of Silk Thread (10)
Bolt[s] of Silk (2)

I want to say the potent venom sacs are maybe 1.2 silver on TP. So roughly the cost of 1 Ecto for the 15 venoms. I’m not in game so I cant check that, but I want to say 2 silver each tops.

Random Rare Jewelcrafter item:

Ruby Mithril Amulet
http://www.guildhead.com/recipe/810205/ruby-mithril-amulet

Mithril Setting[s] (1)
Mithril Chain[s] (1)
Embellished Brilliant Ruby Jewel[s] (3)

Each Embellished Ruby Jewel requires:

Glob[s] of Ectoplasm (1)
Mithril Filigree[s] (1)
Ruby Crystal[s] (5)

So leatherworker big money items: 15 Potent Venom Sacs/Bloods/Fangs whatever: 20-30 silver depending on fine component.
Jewelcrafter: 3 ectos, 15 crystals – roughly 80 silver depending on which crystals.

(edited by Moderator)

in Crafting

Posted by: AXLORD.2045

AXLORD.2045

So leatherworker big money items: 15 Potent Venom Sacs/Bloods/Fangs whatever: 20-30 silver depending on fine component.
Jewelcrafter: 3 ectos, 15 crystals – roughly 80 silver depending on which crystals.

You forgot that to level up Leatherworking or Armorsmith until that point you need litterally hundreds of fine crafting mats, only dropped by mobs, and which cost from 1 silver to 20 silver per unit, whereas the only thing you need in Jewelcrafting until then is dust. You may have a hard time leveling the last 20 levels to 400, but other armor/weapon crafting professions require way more time and gold to get to 300 (and even higher).

in Crafting

Ruwe.9612

It’s not letting me quote for some reason but here we go

Axlord.2045:
You forgot that to level up Leatherworking or Armorsmith until that point you need litterally hundreds of fine crafting mats, only dropped by mobs, and which cost from 1 silver to 20 silver per unit, whereas the only thing you need in Jewelcrafting until then is dust. You may have a hard time leveling the last 20 levels to 400, but other armor/weapon crafting professions require way more time and gold to get to 300 (and even higher).

What your not realizing Axlord is that Jewel crafting requires Jewels. Which RARELY drop off any mobs, and rarely spawn on ore nodes. Maybe I just have horrible luck, but I spent hours and hours farming for jewels. I leveled Jewel crafting to over 300 before the Trade House was up and the entire time I wished I would have picked a different profession. Now? Players have set the costs for everything so low that it doesn’t really matter, all professions cost roughly the same around end game crafting, except for jeweler, which cost about 1g per RARE lvl 80 piece vs. 20-40s per rare piece for any other profession.

But again, this discussion wasn’t about who’s kitten is larger for reaching 400 on their craft, who’s craft was harder to level or who’s craft costs more to level.
This post was about end game crafting and actually using your chosen profession to be able to make money.

Again, NO other profession requires globs of ecto for level 80 RARES.

in Crafting

Dashel.8056

I leveled up Leathworking and Jewelcrafting to 400. Both were similar to 400 in my opinion. The fine crafting mats drop pretty well in my experience. I had 88 of the bloods I needed for rares in LW without even trying for them specifically. Bones too. Fangs and totems I had none of but I would guess there are good farming spots for those.

Ectos on the other hand and gems are a pita for me to get. But really it’s all about market prices. 15 bloods or bones @ 1-1.5 silver each compared to 3 Globs of Ectoplasm @ ~20 silver each is a big difference.

Maybe they did it because Jewelcrafters cater to everyone as opposed to LW or AC who mostly make things for a certain few professions?

(edited by Dashel.8056)

in Crafting

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Forgive my ignorance, but aren’t crafted high tier jewels an upgrade component that can be applied to virtually any piece of gear, wheras things like weapons and armor are limited to a single or extremely limited number of slots?

Or are the highest tier jewels only usable in jewelry?

If the first is the case this would explain the higher inherent value of crafted jewels, as those jewels have a higher inherent value due to higher potential demand on a per character basis, whereas the upgrades (runes, sigils) craftable by other professions have a much more limited potential demand.

Again, If this is not the case I apologize as I have very limited experience with high tier jewels as I in stead opt to use sigils and runes in my equipment, but I do recall using several found jewels in my equipment at lower levels.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Crafting

Ruwe.9612

Maybe they did it because Jewelcrafters cater to everyone as opposed to LW or AC who mostly make things for a certain few professions?

That’s probably the best answer I’ve seen yet, I never even thought of that…… Hmmm

in Crafting

SiNoS.2147

Forgive my ignorance, but aren’t crafted high tier jewels an upgrade component that can be applied to virtually any piece of gear, wheras things like weapons and armor are limited to a single or extremely limited number of slots?

Or are the highest tier jewels only usable in jewelry?

If the first is the case this would explain the higher inherent value of crafted jewels, as those jewels have a higher inherent value due to higher potential demand on a per character basis, whereas the upgrades (runes, sigils) craftable by other professions have a much more limited potential demand.

Again, If this is not the case I apologize as I have very limited experience with high tier jewels as I in stead opt to use sigils and runes in my equipment, but I do recall using several found jewels in my equipment at lower levels.

Jewels were only ever able to be put into jewelery. Your thinking of Seal’s, Medallion’s, and Crest’s.

in Crafting

Posted by: Barghaest.3061

Barghaest.3061

Incorrect. Jewels can go into any piece of gear.

Armor, weapon or jewelry.

in Crafting

Posted by: Orcao.6419

Orcao.6419

Incorrect. Jewels can go into any piece of gear.

Armor, weapon or jewelry.

While you are correct, Exquisite/Intricate/Crafted Jewels (the ones Jewelers turn Jewels into for rares) can ONLY go into Accessories/Rings/Amulets (maybe back pieces?).

For those saying Jeweler is the cheapest to level, take another look at how much those jewels vend for, and then another look at the trading post. While other professions need to spend some silver on thread and the ilk, Jeweler “spends” silver by not selling the gems. This and Jeweler requires a lot of ore in comparison to the other crafting professions.

There is no reason why the rares need 3 ectos for Jeweler and none for any other crafting profession. The only explanation is the team doing Jeweler was the only one that thought “Gee, I don’t want to be responsible for flooding the market with Ectos from crafted rares…”

As-is the easiest way to get ectos is to craft rares that use Large Bones and then salvage them.

in Crafting

Posted by: Drethis.6381

Drethis.6381

Because the Jewelcrafting profession benefits all Classes, whereas certain other professions (using your example: Tailoring), only benefits a certain group of classes.

Just because the requirements to craft certain items are more demanding/expensive, doesn’t necessarily mean you get “hosed”.

in Crafting

Ruwe.9612

Ok, maybe we don’t get hosed per say, but with the market being flooded we can’t even get cost back out of any rares we craft, why bother? Tailors make money on explorer gear, I’m sure leather and armor can also, weapons I’m not sure about, they might have the short end of the stick on this deal also.

But when it costs me 90s to craft an item that sells for 1g, first off most people don’t want to spend 1g on a single rare, secondly, I lose money by doing that due to listing fees and the cut for the house on any sale.

The only chance I have to be able to make a profit is to farm for the 15 jewels and 3 ecto’s it takes, ore isn’t that big of a deal. But by the time I have 15 of the type of jewel I’m shooting for I could have had 50 or more of any other single tier 5 crafting mat. There is not really a good way to farm jewels unlike the other crafting professions. You don’t believe me? Tell you what, empty your bags, pretend your a jewel crafter for one full day. Now go get me 15 Ruby crystals, then compare how long that takes to farming up 15 of any other item. After you’ve done that come back and let us know how long that took, then go back and get 3 ecto’s, that’s one piece. We have the hardest items to farm and in addition to that we also require globs of ectoplasm.

in Crafting

Posted by: senoph.2930

senoph.2930

Personally, I found Jewelcrafting to be the easiest thing to level so far up until the point where you need to make Rares. After that, it is a pain. I felt that those requirements were fair for an otherwise easy ride, especially considering how many levels you get from making one of those rares (3-5, as I recall. Maybe even more.) The rare gems themselves also gave a lot of crafting experience when you put them together. I’m pretty sure I didn’t end up spending a whole lot on the ectos themselves to do it, but I wish I had kept a record now of exactly how many I needed from 375-400. I found that just making a few different items is really what made the difference as far as how many you need to get to 400.

In fact, keeping it varied to keep it easy was my entire experience through Jewelcrafting in general. I never made anything more than once, with the exception of the rare embellished gems later on. I believe I might have used maybe 9 ectos, I want to say? I don’t know if every other craft gets the kind of leveling bumps off of that level of recipe that Jewelcrafting gets. Maybe they do. I don’t know.

I do feel it is a little out of sorts to complain about the difficulties of Jewelcrafting though. I even felt it was a little too easy. The fact that I can barely make any profit off of crafting exotics at this point is probably a testament to that, too. People will still sell their wares for only slightly more than the material costs, and the buy orders are even lower because someone out there will want to “get a return ASAP” that ultimately means you lose money. That’s a discussion for another thread though.

in Crafting

Posted by: Tigger.8035

Tigger.8035

an ENORMOUS amount of props to your friend for maxing out tailoring

in Crafting

Posted by: senoph.2930

senoph.2930

But by the time I have 15 of the type of jewel I’m shooting for I could have had 50 or more of any other single tier 5 crafting mat.

So you sell the 50 of the tier 5 mat and buy the other materials you need. Congratulations on cutting down your farm time for the next craft.

in Crafting

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

It is what it is — all the way from 1-399 Jewelry is treated differently from the weapons and armor crafts. And so it continues at 400.

in Crafting

Posted by: Zafir.8367

Zafir.8367

I don’t mind the use of ecto’s. A bigger issue I have is there doesn’t seem to be much money in selling rare/exotic 80 jewellery. You’d get the same amount of money by selling the mats required for the stuff.

in Crafting

Ruwe.9612

senoph.2930 : I do feel it is a little out of sorts to complain about the difficulties of Jewelcrafting though. I even felt it was a little too easy. The fact that I can barely make any profit off of crafting exotics at this point is probably a testament to that, too. People will still sell their wares for only slightly more than the material costs, and the buy orders are even lower because someone out there will want to “get a return ASAP” that ultimately means you lose money. That’s a discussion for another thread though.

I wasn’t complaining about the difficulty, just that every craft should be roughly equal, and I’ve leveled artifice to 350 so far and it’s the exact same thing as jewel crafting. Never craft the same item twice if you want to level it faster. I haven’t had any issues getting the mats I needed for leveling artifice, I didn’t bring it up since it’s not to 400 yet and wasn’t really relevant to end game. And not making money off your craft, that’s pretty much universal for all crafts. I think somebody must have hit most of these people over the head with the silly stick when they were babies…. “Let’s see… if I go and buy all the mats it will cost me 1g or I could sell my mats and not bother with crafting and get one 1g…. lets craft it and sell it for 90s!”

in Crafting

Posted by: Sammael Darksbane.4572

Sammael Darksbane.4572

Crafting Obviously wasn’t meant to be a way to make money in GW2, but a way to make stuff for yourself, hence why it’s so easy, and why you can max out all 8 crafts on a single character.

in Crafting

Posted by: DivineDragoonKain.7840

DivineDragoonKain.7840

Allow me to clear up some misinformation in this topic.

GEMS (the raw materials you get from harvest various nodes, like Tiger Eye Pebbles or Ruby Crystals) can be applied to ANY piece of gear with an Unused Upgrade Slot.

JEWELS (the honed, upgraded versions created from a Gem and a Filigree) can only be applied to ACCESSORIES, RINGS, AMULETS, and BACK SLOTS with an Unused Upgrade Slot.

in Crafting

Posted by: teemoor.4397

teemoor.4397

Maybe they wanted jewelry to be harder to obtain…
Dungeon/cultural vendors don’t sell jewelry, so the only way to obtain Rare/Exotic jewelry is crafting (AFAIK).

in Crafting

Posted by: turboether.2643

turboether.2643

Jewelers don’t need fine mats for any of their crafts from 1-400. It is a craft that is good for any and all professions and levels This is a huge enough advantage in and of itself.

in Crafting

Dashel.8056

“For those saying Jeweler is the cheapest to level, take another look at how much those jewels vend for, and then another look at the trading post. While other professions need to spend some silver on thread and the ilk, Jeweler “spends” silver by not selling the gems. This and Jeweler requires a lot of ore in comparison to the other crafting professions.”

Yes I was going to say, I checked the Trading Post last night for the Rubys to make rares and they are upwards of 7 silver each. You need 15 for each item, that’s on top of the 3 Ectos. So for Ruby items at least it’s close to 2 gold per in value per slot.

in Crafting

Dashel.8056

Jewelers don’t need fine mats for any of their crafts from 1-400. It is a craft that is good for any and all professions and levels This is a huge enough advantage in and of itself.

Why? I can gather a ton of fine mats by farming for an hour or so. Far more than I can get in gems.

in Crafting

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

so lemme get this straight, for us to level our crafting to 400, at around 370+, we will need to use 15 t6 gems and 3 ectos to hit 400?

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

in Crafting

Posted by: Lappdancer.4857

Lappdancer.4857

Agree with the OP (Except that they get hosed at 375 for the rare equipment, not 400 for the exotics).

I didn’t notice a difference between the gemstones Jeweler needs and the fine crafting mats. You get some while leveling and progressing but you need far more than you find. TP prices on average are similar.

Ectos are usually the most expensive item I’ve needed for crafting exotics. (Blood vials were close, gossamer is also close but not as much needed for armorsmith).

I have a magic find set of rare armor that I carry around when doing events and such. I’ll stick with the 350 mithril magic find jewelry as the cost of ectos for crafting the rare items is far too much for what you get out of it.

in Crafting

Posted by: Fildydarie.1496

Fildydarie.1496

For budding Jewelcrafters that are reading this thread and despairing at thoughts of needing mounds of ectos just to finish leveling… I used 4. I was kinda miffed at first, but 4 ectos for the last ~13 points of skill wasn’t the end of the world. 3 went to craft myself a new ring, the last to upgrade a gem. I sold the upgraded gem for a hair over the cost of the ecto that I used—still a loss in all, but no more or less of a loss than most of the stuff I made to level.

-Fildydarie
Hutchmistress of the Fluffy Bunny Brigade [FBB]

in Crafting

Posted by: Ravengyre.1246

Ravengyre.1246

As someone who has leveled both Jeweler and Armorsmith (and weaponsmithing/cooking…but who cares?):
I was surprised that I had to use ectos for my last 25 points in jeweler, but let us take a look at an optimal path for the last 25 points in both of these.

For Jeweler you have to use:

• 1 Embellished Brilliant Recipe to match the choice of crystals. (231 karma)
  • 3 Glob of Ectoplasm
  • 15 Crystals that you decided to use with the recipe
  • 3 Mithril Figurine (6 Mithril Ingots or 12 Mithril Ore)

Discover/ craft 3 Embellished Brilliant gems and boom done! Level 400!

For Armorsmithing:

• 2 Intricate Silk Insignia recipes (1344 karma or 672 karma each)
  • 30 fine mats of each matching the two insignias (60 fine mats total)
  • 12 Bolt of Silk (24 silk scraps)
  • 8 Mithril Ingot (16 mithril ore)
  • 44 Spool of Silk

Craft 2 Mithril Boot Casings, 2 Mithril Boot Linings, 2 Mithril Gaunlet Plates, 2 Mithril Gauntlet Linings then use the discovery pane to combine those with the insignas.
And then you are at 400 for that!

If you really want I can do the prices taking the cheapest of each from the TP if I straight up bought them (You should place orders for cheaper prices).

Eh I have the time I will!!

Prices are as of September 17, 2012 5.30 server time.

For Jeweler 375-400:

• 3 Glob of Ectoplasms = 72s15c @ 24s5c each
  • 15 Crystals(Sapphire) = 16s65c @ 1s11c each
  • 12 Mithril Ore = 2s76c @ 23c each
  • 231 Karma

For Armorsmithing 375-400:

• 30 Large Fangs = Roughly 30s @ 1s each
  • 30 Potent Venom Sacs = Roughly 38s40c @ 1s28c each
  • 24 silk scraps = 6s72c @ 28c each
  • 16 mithril ore = 3s68c @ 23c each
  • 44 Spool of Silk = 24s @ 4s80c per 10 (6 left over)
  • 1344 karma

So Jeweler vs Armorsmithing 375-400 total costs are:

Jeweler = 91s56c and 231 Karma

Armorsmithing = 1g2s80c and 1344 karma

So as you can see Jeweler 375-400 is not getting hosed, in fact it is roughly 11s and 1000 karma cheaper than Armorsmithing.

TL;DR??
Jeweler is about the same cost as Armorsmithing.

in Crafting

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Why? I can gather a ton of fine mats by farming for an hour or so. Far more than I can get in gems.

Ok, just imagine/suppose that perhaps it were harder or more expensive to do jewelry than it is to do armor/tailor/leather and/or weapon/hunts/arti.

That would be totally ok, it is what it is. Cuz jewelry doesn’t readily come from other sources, and is worn by all professions. So it’s a completely different beast — doesn’t compare to the other crafts any more than chef.

Everyone and their mother is already complaining that the market is flooded with crafted goods and making any profit is difficult. Making it easier to make stuff will only exasperate the problem.

in Crafting

Dashel.8056

Everyone and their mother is already complaining that the market is flooded with crafted goods and making any profit is difficult. Making it easier to make stuff will only exasperate the problem.

Exacerbate. Increase the severity.

But yeah it’s fine. I got my 400 JC with little hassle. Crafting a full set of rare jewelry isnt going to happen right away for most people though, and probably isnt worth bothering to do. Leatherworking I made myself multiple sets of rares right away for little cost (relatively).

in Crafting

Dashel.8056

For Armorsmithing:

• 44 Spool of Silk

Craft 2 Mithril Boot Casings, 2 Mithril Boot Linings, 2 Mithril Gaunlet Plates, 2 Mithril Gauntlet Linings then use the discovery pane to combine those with the insignas.

If you really want I can do the prices taking the cheapest of each from the TP if I straight up bought them (You should place orders for cheaper prices).

For Jeweler 375-400:

• 231 Karma

• 1344 karma

So as you can see Jeweler 375-400 is not getting hosed, in fact it is roughly 11s and 1000 karma cheaper than Armorsmithing.

TL;DR??

Cost to 400 fair enough. For that 1 gold you got 4 rares to wear or blow up for Ecto. JC get’s 1 item.

in Crafting

Posted by: Triod.5126

Triod.5126

With most blue gems you make can be salvaged and reused and thus saving alot of material. While doing the same with any other crafting only gives a few wood or ores depending on the item and do not give any fine’s back.

in Crafting

Posted by: orci.5019

orci.5019

Leatherworkers requires 5 globs per exotic. No, Jewelers are not special.

Server: Yak’s Bend.
Main: Hunter.

in Crafting

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Leatherworkers requires 5 globs per exotic. No, Jewelers are not special.

We are talking about Rares not exotics…

And to the cost comparison guy. Sure both those things get you to 400, but Jewelers get 1 item and leatherworkers get 4 items which can all be salvaged for ectos.

in Crafting

Posted by: Outlaw.4078

Outlaw.4078

Orci why don’t you READ any of the posts? We’re talking about RARES not exotics mmkay?

Anyway, I’d have to agree that Jewelcrafting being so expensive to level is probably because Jewels are usable by every single person whereas anything from any other profession besides cooking is not. Makes perfect sense tbh. EXCEPT for the ectos needed for rares. That’s seriously unfair.

As someone who has leveled both Jeweler and Armorsmith (and weaponsmithing/cooking…but who cares?):
I was surprised that I had to use ectos for my last 25 points in jeweler, but let us take a look at an optimal path for the last 25 points in both of these.

For Jeweler you have to use:

• 1 Embellished Brilliant Recipe to match the choice of crystals. (231 karma)
  • 3 Glob of Ectoplasm
  • 15 Crystals that you decided to use with the recipe
  • 3 Mithril Figurine (6 Mithril Ingots or 12 Mithril Ore)

Discover/ craft 3 Embellished Brilliant gems and boom done! Level 400!

For Armorsmithing:

• 44 Spool of Silk

For Jeweler 375-400:

• 231 Karma

• 1344 karma

TL;DR??

Why don’t you retry that again using Rubies, which would actually be what a lot of people craft since they’re used for Berserker’s gear?

in Crafting

Posted by: Efaicia.3672

Efaicia.3672

This is complete and utter crap that I am required to use exotic materials to create a LEVEL 65 rare item to level from 375 to 400, not only that but I can’t even break them down for a CHANCE to get the glob back.

Why was this done this way Arenanet, is there ANY logical reason WHATSOEVER? Other than make it a pain to level?

No other profession requires this it is unfair and needs to be reworked.

in Crafting

Posted by: CHOAM.7852

CHOAM.7852

As a 400 in all crafts, I did notice that jewel crafting is the only one the requires ecto before hitting 400, but I do not believe this is “unfair”.

JC has been a lot easier to level up from the beginning, and besides cooking is probably one of the cheapest. We can literally get all our materials from 0-375 just from harvesting mining nodes. Further, JC should not be expected to fall in line with the other crafts as even our basic material differs from the other crafts in the first 4 tiers (copper without tin, silver instead of iron, gold instead of steel, platinum without primordium) and we do not use the fine crafting materials.

And, you know, all those other reasons previous posters listed as why JC is really not the same as other crafts.

But yeah it’s fine. I got my 400 JC with little hassle. Crafting a full set of rare jewelry isnt going to happen right away for most people though, and probably isnt worth bothering to do. Leatherworking I made myself multiple sets of rares right away for little cost (relatively).

I agree, crafting a full set of rare jewelry is not worth it, just craft enough to reach 400 and go straight for (or save for) Tier 6.

This is complete and utter crap that I am required to use exotic materials to create a LEVEL 65 rare item to level from 375 to 400, not only that but I can’t even break them down for a CHANCE to get the glob back.

This is not true. Tier 5 rare jewelry are level 80 to equip and can be salvaged for ectoplasm; I got 2 last night from an Emerald Mithril Ring (Rare).

These forums are really buggy when it comes to quotes, had to manually edit the tags a few times

(edited by CHOAM.7852)

in Crafting

Posted by: Kozai.8269

Kozai.8269

Nice work, Ravengyre! Between that and the fact that non-Jeweler crafts almost certainly cost more to level to 375, I would say Jewelrycrafting doesn’t have too much to complain about regarding cost to level.

Outlaw.4078 Why don’t you retry that again using Rubies, which would actually be what a lot of people craft since they’re used for Berserker’s gear?

I thought the complaint was the cost to level Jeweler to 400? The difference between that and the cost to make the particular gear you want may be quite large, and is dependent on what people want to use and thus demand. I would bet that Berserker jewelry sells for more then, say, Cleric jewelry because of that higher cost for Ruby Orbs, so the difference in net cost after you sell what you make may be similar.