how is this even a contest?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I too find myself lying awake at night fearing the horrific consequences of voting for a baddie in a virtual video game reality OP.

Just in case you actually think this is something that has me upset in any way, let me set it straight for you. I’m having a bit of fun politicking for the candidate I’d like to win, not fretting over what a fictional politician might do to a fictional city in a fictional world in which a game I play is set. You’re snide post is for naught, I’m afraid.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Evaria.1094

Evaria.1094

Where is all of this stuff about Kiel being a liar coming from? It’s totally not based on anything. Word for word, this is what she says:

Kiel: Thank you for answering my summons. I just learned that an Aetherblade airship loaded with plunder from Lion’s Arch went down nearby.

Foecrush: It’s our lucky day. What are your orders, Cap’n?

Kiel: Those pirates will want their loot back. When they come for it, we’ll be there to greet them. Go secure that treasure so we can return it to its rightful owners.

Foecrush: Wait, to its rightful… Cap’n, begging your pardon, but wouldn’t your campaign be better served if we used that—

Kiel: Belay that talk, mister. I won’t build our campaign on the backs of victims.

Kiel: Now, I’m ordering you to protect those valuables at all cost. I’ll send relief soon.

After event

Kiel: Report, sailor. What’s the situation?

Foecrush: It was hairy, Cap’n! Those Aetherblades threw everything, including the kitchen sink, at us!

Kiel: Well, you’re here, so you must have accomplished what I asked, yes?

Foecrush: (laughs) Even their worst sink wasn’t enough to stop us. We managed to keep the Lion’s share of the booty.

Kiel: Oh you’re so…excellent work. Excellent work everyone. Let’s get that haul back where it belongs, shall we?

Both the tone and content of what she says clearly suggests that in fact she is not using the treasure stolen back from the Aetherblades for her campaign, much to the chagrin of Foecrush, and is rather giving it back to whomever it was stolen from. Her stutter in speech is questionable, but it’s more likely it’s a sign of her affection for her first mate, or at the very least is conceivable to be a sign of affection for her first mate. If you missed it, the dialogue has not been exactly subtle in this game—was anyone surprised when Mai Trinh was the culprit of the assassination? Her manner of speech completely gave it away.

The assumption that Evon, the scoundrel, is somehow more trustworthy because you don’t have to invent deceit in his utterances to come to the conclusion it’s there is frankly silly. What if he’s not going to drop the prices of Black Lion Keys? What if that’s a two-faced lie? This question is just as completely unfounded and logically useless as calling Kiel a liar without a scrap of evidence, and completely in defiance of her quite recent representation in the game’s lore.

As to Evon being a more interesting candidate, to each his own. If you like the stereotypical boring self-interested sociopath more than the stereotypical boring good person, I guess that’s on you. However, to actively support a scoundrel for the sake of your own entertainment seems dishonest to the game world, and suggests that one does not value it or its fictional denizens—which is at odds with how I experience the game. I do not perform actions to purposely call calamity upon the characters of this game; that’s the job of the developers. I save them from said calamity.

That said, we won’t know what happens until it happens in the game, and to assume that Evon’s role in the story will be superior to Kiel’s is a reflection of the opinions of the assumer, founded on nothing and as logically useless as me suggesting that those who support Evon are sociopathic. Which I am totally suggesting ^-^

And lastly, on the pirate nonsense:

Beside the point, do you really want a softy running a city of pirates? That’s like saying the Charr should make a carebear their leader because he’s more cuddly.

Who are any of us to decide what a pirate of Lion’s Arch, set as it is within the world of Tyria, should or shouldn’t be? Or more appropriately, why should I or anyone else care? Or, to be more snarky, who do you think you are? Why is it that Kiel being a decent human being [or living being, for the sake of comparison with Evon] somehow suggests that she’s a sissy or soft? Why is empathy a negative trait for any living thing? The pseudo-machismo at the heart of these assumptions is and always has been disgusting to me, and is [in my quite sanctimonious opinion] problematic in not just the videogame fandom, but a huge portion of our collective human culture.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

I think you all misunderstand kiel when she says she wants to return the loot to its owner. It’s not the aetherblades, it’s the pact. Else why would be be stopping the aetherblades from taking the loot if we were just going to give it back to them?

This goes deeper than Evon wanting the loot for his campaign fund. This is about planning.

Kiel is planning for the future, and looking at the bigger picture. That the pact is a good ally to have, and they will put the aetherblade loot to the best use; to fight the dragons that are an enemy to everyone.

Evon is planning for right now, how he can further the current cause at the moment.

Looking passed this election to how they’ll work once they get there. I’d much rather have someone that plans for the future and looks ahead instead of how it’s going right then.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Cheaper BLC keys means that every weapon set added to the chest will be cheaper to obtain. If you want to acquire rare weapon skins added to the store, from a financial perspective, Evon is vastly superior.

Either the keys you buy/stockpile under his discount will help you get a skin, or keys purchased by other players will result in skins added to the TP increasing the supply.

If you want an in game argument, Evon might be taking the money, but he’s passing the savings onto the players by reducing the price of his keys and allowing easier access to all the new weapon sets.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

When doing the trial for each candidate Gnashblade says he wants the loot for himself and Kiel says she wants to return the loot to its owner. Why on earth would anyone want to elect Evon Gnashblade to “serve the people”?

And before anyone answers “Abaddon”, would you really rather have a visual representation of lore you’ve known for eight years over a chance to learn something entirely new about the world of Tyria in the Reactor Meltdown?

My one and only concern is that he doesn’t share that treasure with me.

Who cares we get discounts / more products on Black Lion chest market. He might be a crook, but he probably knows how to do business….business……b…..oh crap politics deja vu all over again argh!

Pineapples

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

I think in the future,, Keil story will bring in some Lionguard heroism while the Evon will bring in some shady individuals with unexpected outcomes.
Keil is good to make the story a classic hero novel, while Evon is better for making it a thriler
I also think we will see both of them but later in the future. Besides, who said next year we wont have elections again

(edited by Ronah.2869)

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Avatara.1042

A foreign reconnaissance plane utilizing new technologies crash lands inside the borders of your country. It is (for the most part) in working condition. You are not friendly with the country it originated from. Do you A) salvage the plane for parts, learn what you can, and use that technology to better your army, your defense, and prepare for a war that might end up happening in the future or B ) return the plane and go “Oh, no…it’s fine. I know you were spying on us. But it’s fine and here you go!”

Let’s ask Iran what they did with that U.S. stealth drone that crashed in their country…surely someone who would “keep the loot for themselves” would not be in power. Surely.

Worst analogyy I have ever seen. Makes no sense, on every level.

May God have mercy on your soul.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

the same reason i would vote for someone like evon in real life, prosperity is based on the suffering of others, all powerful nations are built on genocide war conquest and intolerance and thats the way it is, dont try and change it accept it and join in.

nations only die when people forget how to wage profitable war

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

the same reason i would vote for someone like evon in real life, prosperity is based on the suffering of others, all powerful nations are built on genocide war conquest and intolerance and thats the way it is, dont try and change it accept it and join in.

nations only die when people forget how to wage profitable war

And that’s why society is decaying.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

because game is all about experiencing visual representation and adventuring epic battles, who cares if a selfish NPC got a spot in the leadership, it won’t affect us, even it does in a living story way, i would rather have a bad guy so the story can get really interesting.

Abaddon fought the other gods. He lost. He was imprisoned. You now know everything there is to know on the subject. Does the visualization of this really making it that much more interesting? The Reactor Meltdown, on the other hand, we know virtually nothing about. Surely some of you more inquisitive types want to know what happened?

How in God’s name is knowing nothing about it a good thing?
For all you know magical pink unicorns of justice could have rode in to put a stop to the nefarious Inquest schemes, and inadvertently blasted the reactor with one of their rainbow lasers, causing the magical sparkly explosion.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I keep seeing the argument. “Evon is a real Pirate” And “Kiel is a good two-shoes” But you gotta remember these two kittens will be in charge of our HOME BASE regardless of pirates or not, do you want a lying, backstabbing merchant setting your prices in Lion’s Arch and making decisions based on “His” Best interest.

Of course. He will keep it safe. In his own best interest. Kiel on the other hand doesn’t act in my best interest, but for the Greater Good. And paths to the Greater Good are always littered with Noble Sacrifices (and i have no intention to be volunteered for that role).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November