how is this even a contest?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

When doing the trial for each candidate Gnashblade says he wants the loot for himself and Kiel says she wants to return the loot to its owner. Why on earth would anyone want to elect Evon Gnashblade to “serve the people”?

And before anyone answers “Abaddon”, would you really rather have a visual representation of lore you’ve known for eight years over a chance to learn something entirely new about the world of Tyria in the Reactor Meltdown?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Simplicity.7208

Simplicity.7208

A foreign reconnaissance plane utilizing new technologies crash lands inside the borders of your country. It is (for the most part) in working condition. You are not friendly with the country it originated from. Do you A) salvage the plane for parts, learn what you can, and use that technology to better your army, your defense, and prepare for a war that might end up happening in the future or B ) return the plane and go “Oh, no…it’s fine. I know you were spying on us. But it’s fine and here you go!”

Let’s ask Iran what they did with that U.S. stealth drone that crashed in their country…surely someone who would “keep the loot for themselves” would not be in power. Surely.

in Cutthroat Politics

darkace.8925

This isn’t a foreign plane. It’s not alien technology. And it’s not the property of political or military enemies. It’s someone else’s money. And Gnashblade, being the crook that he is, is going to keep it for himself. Do you really want this crook in office?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Simplicity.7208

Simplicity.7208

This isn’t a foreign plane. It’s not alien technology. And it’s not the property of political or military enemies. It’s someone else’s money. And Gnashblade, being the crook that he is, is going to keep it for himself. Do you really want this crook in office?

How is an Aetherblade airship not a foreign plane? How is “Utilizing pact technology paired with Inquest technology” not alien technology? And if pirate loot isn’t the property of political/military enemies, then I really don’t know what is.

Do you expect every single gold coin has a sticker on it with the name of the person who lost it? How do you plan on returning a currency like that? Beside the point, do you really want a softy running a city of pirates? That’s like saying the Charr should make a carebear their leader because he’s more cuddly.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Why do i want to return the loot to the owner? Enough with the goody two-shoes gameplay.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

In the real world no. But this is a game you know. Having corrupted NPCs at the Lion’s Arch council is very far from my concerns.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

Evon is gonna use that money towards the abbadon research.
How is Kiel gonna get the money? More taxes?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Eldrake.1543

Eldrake.1543

At least Gnashblade is honest about being a crook.

Kiel, on the other hand, is far and beyond dishonest about being a crook. She lies to bolster her own ego (stealing the credit for the Southsun event and Aetherblades event) and has blown up a Lionguard ship (which likely had crew members onboard)

So, let me ask you one question. Would you vote the crook who admits to being a crook, or would you vote the crook who doesn’t admit to being a crook?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

How do you even know who is the real owner anyway? Did some rich people have an inscription with their names on each piece of treasure they owned?

Or can I go “Omg Kiel, that’s totally my golden sceptre. Yup, I had those rubies set on just like that, no doubt about it. Thank you SO much for finding it for me. You’re my hero!”?

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

When doing the trial for each candidate Gnashblade says he wants the loot for himself and Kiel says she wants to return the loot to its owner. Why on earth would anyone want to elect Evon Gnashblade to “serve the people”?

Kiel has a history of blowing stuff up. Given the right (or wrong) impetus, she could very well turn Lion’s Arch into The Great Hole in the Ground Where Everybody Died Because Kiel is Crazy.

Gnashblade, on the other hand, is rumored to be working on a non-fiction book titled ‘To Serve People’. Such a nice guy!

The table is a fable.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

And before anyone answers “Abaddon”, would you really rather have a visual representation of lore you’ve known for eight years over a chance to learn something entirely new about the world of Tyria in the Reactor Meltdown?

sorry but the lore so far has been fairly weak, given the chance to experience gods fighting each other is too good to pass.

Its a shame because based on my gut feeling between the two I would vote for Kiel in an instant, based on the boring lore so far I’m forced to vote for gnashblade.

I’m also hoping voting for gnashblade sends a message to Anet…. enough boring lore, lets have a more epic storyline.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Lue.6538

Lue.6538

My one and only concern is that he doesn’t share that treasure with me.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: bpphantom.8243

bpphantom.8243

Yes. Yes I do.

Because he’s sharing the money with me.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman.”

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Pirate taking stolen plunder from pirates. What’s this world coming to?

#TeamJadeQuarry

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Awe.1096

Awe.1096

Kiel is a good girl. Evon is a greedy kitten Charr. This is a computer game. Lots of people playing games like kitten characters. It quite simple.

I vote for Kiel btw. Slight RP as my main is a human who still distrust Charr after the Ascalon invasion.

Edit: Kitten pun not intended. Insert there some strong word as you see fit.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Minos.3450

Minos.3450

Of course he’s gonna scavenge it and keep it for himslef. Not only it is Aetherblade’s property and they haven’t been really friendly with us so far, have they ? But also, we’re electing a pirate here not a freaking Nobel Peace laureate !

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The people she is to “serve” are for the most parts pirates. In the same Kiel cutscene you see, that her crew is already close to mutiny. What she is doing there is a clear publicity gesture at the cost of people that will be doing real work.

Instead of people that are prone to making grand gestures in the name of the “greater good”, without regard to the cost, i prefer those down to earth, that will make things better for all around them as a sideeffect of making it better for themselves.
Gnashblade is extremely unlikely to make LA a worse place to live, because he wants to do business there. Kiel on the other hand is completely unpredictable and has no qualms about upsetting the order.

(there’s of course the little matter of her being only a pawn of someone else, not a possible councillor in her own rights)

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Really? I read that and thought the exact opposite… how can anyone possibly vote for kiel for PIRATE captain when she won’t take treasure…

What sort of lame kitten pirate does that?

in Cutthroat Politics

Eldrake.1543

Really? I read that and thought the exact opposite… how can anyone possibly vote for kiel for PIRATE captain when she won’t take treasure…

What sort of lame kitten pirate does that?

A mary sue, that’s the kind of lame pirate that does that.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Kiel is too good to be true. She sounds fake where as Evon is being down right honest what he’s going to do with it.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

#KillKiel
#VoteEvon

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Cutthroat Politics

Eldrake.1543

Maybe Kiel will be executed or kicked out if evidence of her crimes surfaced.

I doubt the Lionguard would be happy if they were to learn that Kiel blew up one of their ships while there was still a crew onboard.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: KorbanDallas.7389

KorbanDallas.7389

I still wonder what would happen if they tied. I mean, a tie means two winners right? So we the players would be able to get the cake and eat it as well?

That’s how I’ve been rolling it anyways. Kiel’s a pirate, and Evon’s a dirty over-charging merchant who wants me to buy random chances to get things – it’s just like real world politics!

}——————————-{
http://avsla-gw2.blogspot.com/

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: MadDemon.7548

MadDemon.7548

A foreign reconnaissance plane utilizing new technologies crash lands inside the borders of your country. It is (for the most part) in working condition. You are not friendly with the country it originated from. Do you A) salvage the plane for parts, learn what you can, and use that technology to better your army, your defense, and prepare for a war that might end up happening in the future or B ) return the plane and go “Oh, no…it’s fine. I know you were spying on us. But it’s fine and here you go!”

Let’s ask Iran what they did with that U.S. stealth drone that crashed in their country…surely someone who would “keep the loot for themselves” would not be in power. Surely.

I see what you are getting at, but honestly it is a horrible analogy for what is going on. Now if you were to give an example like, say, “Robin Hood recently stole from one of the richest, nastiest, most corrupt people he could find and stole more money than he ever did. Would he a) return it all to the poor, or b) spend it on his merry men to keep them well fed and well equipped to help them rob more corrupt rich people more often and get away with more money to give to the poor”, that would be a FAR better example.

Yours just, well, pardon my language, reeks of politics and slander that quite frankly paints you as a person I don’t want to associate myself with.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Zi Yang.5387

Zi Yang.5387

Keep the loots and not return it to it’s owner?
Isn’t this what we adventurers always do?
Unless we are doing a quest,but we will get reward afterward anyway.

(edited by Zi Yang.5387)

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

Better question is, who would vote for such a massive sissy as Kiel handling it like that?

in Cutthroat Politics

darkace.8925

How is an Aetherblade airship not a foreign plane? How is “Utilizing pact technology paired with Inquest technology” not alien technology? And if pirate loot isn’t the property of political/military enemies, then I really don’t know what is.

The objective of the instance isn’t to secure the ship, secure the technology, or study the weaponry – it’s to get the gold. And that gold belongs to innocent people, not enemies of the state. Gold isn’t a plane. Gold isn’t a weapon.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Anyone but me notice how…..different……….her tone is when you finish her trials? There’s one line in particular where she cuts herself off, and the way she says it……….I don’t know. Sounds like either she as a thing for her first mate or she’s faking.

Could be nothing also of course, just the sudden change in tone and then change back caught me off guard.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Sadly the whole thing turns out to be just a gold sink. The minute “support” packages showed up at the store I could just shake my head.

I will still support Kiel with the tokens that drop for me and see if I can do some achievements – but my interest had been severely diminished at that point.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

Never go full kitten.

The only arguement you can bring up against the most epic fractal ever period, is that we know what happened.

Then please, tell me what happened because I do not know.

Where did the fight happen? Who were the fighting armies aside from margonites? All orrians supported the 5 gods? Who casted Abaddon down? How?

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I’m far more interested in Evon, because he’s acting like a real pirate while Kiel seems to be that normal good-doer girl, which is so boring.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

They’re pirates. They steal. Its what they do.

Also, lets not forget that the Aetherblades are also pirates (so their loot is likely stolen in and of itself), and they attacked Lion’s Arch and killed one of the councilors without provocation.

And Kiel is using a stolen Aetherblade ship so that she can be called a “captain” and rightfully run for the councilor position. She could have given that ship back to the pact (since supposedly the Aetherblades stole it from the pact in the first place). But she kept it instead. So while she might be trying to give this loot back (for whatever reason) she seems to have no problem stealing at other times either.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Notice how she never says who that rightful owner is. She doesn’t say she wants to return it to the people. No, she obviously considers Lions Arch the “rightful owner”. Evon is just honest about it, where as she wants to use it as some sort of bribe.

I’m voting for evon because he is honest. 400 votes so far from me, yay. He may be a pirate, and a scoundrel, but he is also honest about what he is. She is the same, but she wants to lie about it. I would much rather have a politician in office that is honest about what he wants.

Attachments:

(edited by GSSBlunaspike.4153)

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

Discount on Black Lion Chest Keys for 4 days.. Evon has my vote!

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

4 weeks bro. That makes it better for you! Make sure you vote even more now!

#KillKiel
#VoteEvon

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

4 WEEKS!!! MAN OH MAN!!

#VoteEvon

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Holy Whirlwind.2067

Holy Whirlwind.2067

Do you expect every single gold coin has a sticker on it with the name of the person who lost it? How do you plan on returning a currency like that? Beside the point, do you really want a softy running a city of pirates? That’s like saying the Charr should make a carebear their leader because he’s more cuddly.

+100…I agree 100%

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I dunno…. people who are actually honest with themselves??

Watch the Lyssa Temple being done by a Zerg some time…or any WvW fight for that matter. It’s Hilarious how many people will abandon the 5 unlucky players who all got hit by the Gorrilla’s Instant kill or Treb Shots or whatever…. Especially after the Chest pops and half the zerg already looted it while the other half is downed b/c of a giant pink imaginary monkey that didn’t render and also didn’t Despawn when it should have.

It’s Awesome!

Then please, tell me what happened because I do not know.

Where did the fight happen? Who were the fighting armies aside from margonites? All orrians supported the 5 gods? Who casted Abaddon down? How?

Speaking purely from a lore stand point: The Gods and their antics is actually quite boring compared to the rest of the races of Tyria predating them. I had a suspicion very early on that the Gods who were mostly a Construct of James Phinney (who’s now gone), … would follow closely in the Lore of Sacrifice which he was also the Head “settings/Lore” Dev of. …IE: they didn’t actually create much of anything in this World, they only arrived here as its fair-weather Saviors (or in Marduk’s/Stratos’ case, much like Dhuum & Abaddon, it’s Demonic Destroyer). Right off the bat in Arah path 4 for instance, it finally tells you that the Bloodstone … the CENTRAL plot device of probably 2/3’s of the entire setting of GW1 … wasn’t even created by the Gods. It was sewn together by the Seers from the Magic either leaked by… or as of-that-time which had-yet-to-be consumed by the waking dragons. So once again…. everything centered around the Dragons … and the “Rift”. Humanity itself is not a unique snowflake but just a magic vessel for these very flawed and often contradicting Gods to spread their self-aggrandizing across multiple planes.

Meanwhile what’s behind the Reactor’s meltdown seems to have something to do with the Crystals which predate the God’s arrival and may even explain how the Seearing was possible in the first place. Or it could explain how the Rift came to be. Either way, that’s a lot more important than fighting a bunch of Still-Human at-that-point Margonites in stupid little boats who will probably gives us even worse Drops than either Bandits or Arah currently gives. ….even as demons they gave horrible drops in the first game.

…See this is Gnashblade’s entire angle … he WANTS YOU to stay poor and only get crappy drops so that his BLTC has no real competition. If Kiel wins then there’s a good chance the Reactor instance will dump tons of rare valuable ancient and truly arcane Mats into the game just like COE tends to…

(edited by ilr.9675)

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

Gnashblade, on the other hand, is rumored to be working on a non-fiction book titled ‘To Serve People’. Such a nice guy!

Hahaha!!! It’s a cookbook!!! … classic …

Anyhow, I like Kiel a lot more than Gnashblade. She’s more the hard-kitten military type, while Gnashblade is the conniving knife-in-the-back type. A council of pirates will do better with a strong militant mind than just another crook.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: yesfourme.8906

yesfourme.8906

It is not a contest because Kiel has zero chance of winning.

I expect the result to be in favor of Evon because of the tokens. People need tokens to play the mini games. However, Evon mini game (Hungry game) requires more tokens to complete. Therefore Evon should win. The only possibility that Kiel win is because of cheating by Arenet. If Arenet developers are already working on Kiel stuff and not Evon, they may cheat the vote result to make Kiel win.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Just saw someone getting Perma Bank thing via Black Lion Chest, it’s like 300G +.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

I keep seeing the argument. “Evon is a real Pirate” And “Kiel is a good two-shoes” But you gotta remember these two kittens will be in charge of our HOME BASE regardless of pirates or not, do you want a lying, backstabbing merchant setting your prices in Lion’s Arch and making decisions based on “His” Best interest.

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

in Cutthroat Politics

Eldrake.1543

I keep seeing the argument. “Evon is a real Pirate” And “Kiel is a good two-shoes” But you gotta remember these two kittens will be in charge of our HOME BASE regardless of pirates or not, do you want a lying, backstabbing merchant setting your prices in Lion’s Arch and making decisions based on “His” Best interest.

Yes.

That would make for a far more interesting future for the Living Story than “Mary Sue #3636262 wins again!”.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

Also on the point of “Why is she trying to give the loot back to the aetherblades.”
She’s A: setting a trap for them
B: Returning the loot to the rightful owners, in the sense she’s giving it back to the people the aethers STOLE IT FROM. You’re right the Aether’s are pirates and therefore stole it from someone to begin with, they didn’t just spawn magical treasure out of their kittens.

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

#2008electionalloveragain

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Wait just a kitten minute…Lions Arch is taking over fort trinity? Wait, never mind. For a moment there I thought the “personal story” would have some kind of logic.

Still I would rather have someone that can be honest about their evil side over someone that just lies to people to get them to vote her side.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

Evon will ensure that the rich will become richer, and that bribery will always win. Evon sways wherever the money is, and will ensure that he gets the best part of the deal.

What Kiel offers is freedom. Cheaper waypoint costs means you can adventure without spending tons of silver on travel costs. Even reviving is less risky with more affordable waypoints. What do cheaper keys do? Rope poor gamblers into giving Evon more of their money.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

because game is all about experiencing visual representation and adventuring epic battles, who cares if a selfish NPC got a spot in the leadership, it won’t affect us, even it does in a living story way, i would rather have a bad guy so the story can get really interesting.

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

in Cutthroat Politics

darkace.8925

because game is all about experiencing visual representation and adventuring epic battles, who cares if a selfish NPC got a spot in the leadership, it won’t affect us, even it does in a living story way, i would rather have a bad guy so the story can get really interesting.

Abaddon fought the other gods. He lost. He was imprisoned. You now know everything there is to know on the subject. Does the visualization of this really making it that much more interesting? The Reactor Meltdown, on the other hand, we know virtually nothing about. Surely some of you more inquisitive types want to know what happened?

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Caerus Sparks.6905

Caerus Sparks.6905

I too find myself lying awake at night fearing the horrific consequences of voting for a baddie in a virtual video game reality OP.