Wiki screwed me out of the helmet and achiev!

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Setsuka.4591

Setsuka.4591

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gift_of_the_Dragon_Bash

Clearly says “The achievement can only be achieved during Dragon Bash from June 14, 2013 to June 18, 2013 while fireworks were active.”

I went camping this weekend for my birthday and was relieved to see I still had monday to get the achievement. Get back monday afternoon at 2:30pm and wait for 4 and 1/2 hours (Now 7:17pm until someone tells me it’s been over since NOON.)

Which kind of got my blood boiling since I was looking forward to decking myself out in some dragon-esque looking gear. I would have told my friend to log in to do it for me if I wasn’t mislead by the dang wiki. ~.~

Any way I can get in contact with a GM or something so I might be able to find out a way to get this head piece? A single weekend was really not enough for this…

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

wiki is made by the players. in gw2’s site it clearly says “Dragon Bash Fireworks – June 14-17”

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Sophia.6482

Sophia.6482

yea i wouldn’t trust the wiki 100% :x ….better to check gw2 site :/

in Dragon Bash

Setsuka.4591

Seriously… Why does the game link to the wiki when you have questions if the information is just going to be wrong. Type in /wiki Gift of the Dragon Bash in game and it automatically opens up the wiki page to it.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Uther Deathhand.1570

Uther Deathhand.1570

Seriously… Why does the game link to the wiki when you have questions if the information is just going to be wrong. Type in /wiki Gift of the Dragon Bash in game and it automatically opens up the wiki page to it.

Umm maybe because you asked it to go to the wiki when you typed /wiki? What did you think searching wiki was going to take you too? That’s kind of like asking why is it that the first thing that pops up is wiki when i put wiki in my web browsers search bar.

Work for a cause, not for applause.
Live life to express, not to impress.
Don’t strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt. ~ unknown

in Dragon Bash

Setsuka.4591

Of course I asked it to go to a wiki. When you have a question that’s what you’re supposed to do right? IN GAME you access the wiki from the chat to get answers, when you get the game it tells you to do that if you have questions.

Wiki mislead me and I missed the achieve because of it. Not sure how that’s my problem for looking at the wiki that the game clearly says to use.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Uther Deathhand.1570

Uther Deathhand.1570

Well yes but as a wiki you can’t get upset at the game if the wiki has some wrong information. For the most part there is a huge amount of knowledge about the game on the wiki that can really help players. But anyway in the future try to get event information straight from the actual guild wars 2 website rather than the wiki because as we have seen it could be wrong.

Work for a cause, not for applause.
Live life to express, not to impress.
Don’t strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt. ~ unknown

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Sasha Deson.8951

Sasha Deson.8951

I had the same thing happen to me today! i’ve been waiting around in LA for about 5 hours now and nothing!

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: JPEPPER.7026

JPEPPER.7026

For what it’s worth, I am right there with you. I thought i had originally read it would be active until midnight tonight. I hate that I missed out on this great helm.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Avatara.1042

Hopefully the fireworks trigger every weekend during the event.

Btw, the helms are ugly.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: StarbornStriker.6493

StarbornStriker.6493

There were a lot of events in GW1 that were for one day only that gave you special hats. In the beginning, if you missed one, there was no way to get it. Unfortunately if you contact support (which you could try to do through the ‘ask a question’ tab on the support page), they’re probably going to tell you that. It sucks that the wiki was wrong, but A-net is likely to think a 3 day window was wide enough.

Eventually in the first game after people complained about not being able to get into the game on a certain day (especially when it was during the week), A-net added a hat vendor that was around for 1 week after the event. But they didn’t add that until several years after the fact, so I’m not sure if we’ll see anything like that happening here.

Sorry you missed the helmets I don’t like mine. I wish I could give them to you.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Tony.6028

Tony.6028

I was traveling for Father’s Day weekend, and seem to have missed the event entirely. I’m a little disappointed.

in Dragon Bash

Setsuka.4591

Maybe we can convince them to do it another weekend while dragon bash up. Holiday weekend, hard to get stuff done in video games. :[

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Joseph Skyrim.2470

Joseph Skyrim.2470

Wikis are like people. They are never 100% reliable. Ever.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

I have to empathize with the OP and others like him. It was a holiday weekend. They knew more people than average were likely to miss out on game play this weekend. I just don’t get why they didn’t let the fireworks run right through to the start of the Effigies on Tuesday.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: RoFFLEs.4371

RoFFLEs.4371

In comparison to a lot of other wiki’s the GW2 are hands down one of the most trustworthy imo

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Lazarith.1678

Lazarith.1678

Yeah I also missed out due to work being crazy for the holiday weekend. I tried to get on for it but I just missed it. I think A-Net would be awesome if they gave us one more weekend to close out the acheivement

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Hatter.8159

Hatter.8159

I feel for you, but they were pretty clear from even before the event started about the time table.

Dragon Bash Fireworks – June 14-17

Watch the skies above Lion’s Arch come alive with an explosive fireworks show every night in-game. The fireworks begin at 9AM PDT on Friday, June 14 and will go off every two hours until 12PM PDT Monday, June 17. Stay through the spectacular finale and receive a unique festival helm – The Horns of the Dragon!

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Yeah I also missed out due to work being crazy for the holiday weekend. I tried to get on for it but I just missed it. I think A-Net would be awesome if they gave us one more weekend to close out the acheivement

And what if people were away for a week or two?
They would miss it next weekend as well, so then they would have to get it up the weekend after that as well, and the weekend after that and the weekend after that and so on.
There will ALWAYS be people that miss out on stuff, which is also the main reason why they won’t really change their schedule for stuff like this.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

In all honest I’m happy that they changed from the first Karka weekend. If I recall that was only a 1 time event Fri or Sat night (for US east coast), that was just a big zerg fest with most people getting thrown into overflows. The fact that it (the fireworks) ran all weekend, gave people in other timezones or people that were busy for one of the days a chance to get it.

And like lordkrall said, sadly they can’t accommodate everyone. And while the wiki is very good (and I use it for most things), any one of us can go in there to edit things.

(edited by Wallace MacBix.2089)

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

The big Karka event started on a mid Sunday afternoon on the east coast of the US. Somewhere around 3-4 pm EST if I remember correctly.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Lexy.3912

Lexy.3912

The big Karka event started on a mid Sunday afternoon on the east coast of the US. Somewhere around 3-4 pm EST if I remember correctly.

But the initial karka invasion of Lion’s Arch (also a one time event) did happen on the Friday IIRC.

My GW2 Project 365 – building a picture of a year in Tyria
The #GW2Project365 on Twitter
Proudly representing The Legion of Honour [XIII] on Tarnished Coast

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Vahkris.6847

Vahkris.6847

We try and want it to be, but yeah, it’s not 100%. Unfortunately I never saw that page before, or I would have corrected it (it’s corrected now, but it doesn’t help the situation). The correct date/time range for the fireworks was listed on the main release page (linked at the top of this forum), but honestly that doesn’t matter when incorrect information is on the page the player ended up visiting through the /wiki command. It sucks, I’m sorry that those who looked at that one thought it extended to today due to the typo. I don’t really want my helms (I got it through the overflow bug), but I can’t send them to anyone or I would.

It sucks. Sorry about that. We’re trying to make the wiki as accurate as possible, but things do slip through (we are human…well, most of us). I’ve been working to keep the main Dragon Bash release page as accurate as possible, hence why I posted the link (that the mod was helpful enough to sticky), so that’s always a good place to check in the future.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: CorneliusCoffin.3169

CorneliusCoffin.3169

There should be a wiki on how to use a wiki.
Rule #1 should be: Don’t trust information that doesn’t come with an official source. Sadly, the GW2 wiki isn’t really the most professional with sources.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Rule #1 should be: Don’t trust information that doesn’t come with an official source. Sadly, the GW2 wiki isn’t really the most professional with sources.

Wikipedia is probably the best example of this. I often see people quoting Wikipedia as the absolute source of correct information. As this is true in a lot of cases, I have found countless mistakes myself. Try citing Wikipedia in a college paper and watch your grade drop. From the Wikipedia website:

Who writes Wikipedia

You do! Anyone can be bold and edit an existing article or create a new one, and volunteers do not need to have any formal training.

From the GW2 Wiki:

Feel free to edit pages yourself and make use of discussion pages. Wiki content is created, maintained, and administrated by players.

How does that saying go? Blame the players not the game.

The Burninator

in Dragon Bash

Vahkris.6847

Most of the sources for the content on the wiki is the game itself, so…kinda difficult to provide sources for that. :P

I honestly don’t know how the 18th got there, though. The info is readily available saying it’s the 17th and from what I can see, the person who put it there in the first place is a real stickler for details, so I can only guess it was a typo.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The in-game message still states the fireworks are happening this weekend. Since the message should have been changed to remove “this weekend” a few days ago, and then entirely changed a day ago, you can complain about the fireworks not happening “this” weekend.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Most of the sources for the content on the wiki is the game itself, so…kinda difficult to provide sources for that. :P

I honestly don’t know how the 18th got there, though. The info is readily available saying it’s the 17th and from what I can see, the person who put it there in the first place is a real stickler for details, so I can only guess it was a typo.

However (plot twist) on this page, which I’ve used for a general guide, it says 17th… but before the 11th, it said 16th.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Dragon_Bash

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: StarbornStriker.6493

StarbornStriker.6493

Unlike with most of the other living story content that’s been released, I doubt the dragon bash is going to be a one-off. We can probably expect it to come back next year, fireworks and all. Although if it’s anything like the first game, it might offer different hats next year instead of this one, so that might be cold comfort.

in Dragon Bash

Vahkris.6847

However (plot twist) on this page, which I’ve used for a general guide, it says 17th… but before the 11th, it said 16th.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Dragon_Bash

Yeeeeeeaaaaahhhh….that was me. In my defense, that was originally put in prior to the actual release (when I was quickly dumping a lot of info onto the page in preparation for the release and posting it here for everyone), and it said 16th for only 1.5 hours. Technically it wasn’t incorrect, though…if you attended between 14th and 16th you would get it. It just went on longer than the 16th. :P

in Dragon Bash

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Yeeeeeeaaaaahhhh….that was me. In my defense, that was originally put in prior to the actual release (when I was quickly dumping a lot of info onto the page in preparation for the release and posting it here for everyone), and it said 16th for only 1.5 hours. Technically it wasn’t incorrect, though…if you attended between 14th and 16th you would get it. It just went on longer than the 16th. :P

I know, I saw, and you fixed it too

I did this early Saturday morning – after what happened with the Crab Toss achievements, I don’t feel confident anymore waiting until the last second. I mean, I got the Crab Toss ones as I finished them prior to the achievements breaking, but something can always get in the way. I like to know my deadlines but if at all possible I won’t push it. I know that doesn’t help anybody anymore now, but… well. Maybe next time!

in Dragon Bash

Setsuka.4591

My biggest problem is that this was a holiday weekend… Who wasn’t spending their weekend with their father? Even Game of Thrones pushed their episode back a few weeks ago because of a holiday so more people could view it because they knew people would be busy….

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

My biggest problem is that this was a holiday weekend… Who wasn’t spending their weekend with their father? Even Game of Thrones pushed their episode back a few weeks ago because of a holiday so more people could view it because they knew people would be busy….

I didn’t, but that’s because my parents are 700+ miles away. Also my family never celebrated Mothers/Fathers day for an entire weekend, so Friday night (or all day Sat) was a decent time to watch the show. I assume the “Monday until noon” was to help other timezones get their achievement on their Sunday night.

Also the event time was posted for over a week and I never saw a “it conflicts with Father’s Day” thread/complaint. Though it does suck that the OP missed it because of a typo on the wiki.

in Dragon Bash

Pixelpumpkin.4608

That’s a very North American perspective… seeing as the player base is very international.(It wasn’t a holiday weekend where I live.)

Most weekends are probably special somewhere in the world.

(edited by Pixelpumpkin.4608)

in Dragon Bash

lordkrall.7241

You are assuming that everyone that plays this game lives in any of the countries that celebrates Father’s Day this weekend though. That is not the case and father day is not this weekend in the whole world.
If they were to base their events around real life holidays they would be unable to ever do something in the game.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Dragon Bash

CorneliusCoffin.3169

Well, yes and no.
I’m working with video games in an academic context and I know it’s quite hard to cite appropriately from them. Most standardised guidelines simply require you to reference the video game a line is taken from, which makes it very much impossible for the reader to determine whether or not that line actually is from that game. (It’s pretty much like quoting a line from a book and only referencing the book’s title and telling the reader he has to read the book in order to find the quote.)
However, since wiki’s make use of footnotes, there’d be a lot of room to elaborate where a certain information is coming from. If it’s in game you could for example state which character gave the information, in which area it can be found in game or which menu it can be read up on.

in Dragon Bash

Vahkris.6847

Well, yes and no.
I’m working with video games in an academic context and I know it’s quite hard to cite appropriately from them. Most standardised guidelines simply require you to reference the video game a line is taken from, which makes it very much impossible for the reader to determine whether or not that line actually is from that game. (It’s pretty much like quoting a line from a book and only referencing the book’s title and telling the reader he has to read the book in order to find the quote.)
However, since wiki’s make use of footnotes, there’d be a lot of room to elaborate where a certain information is coming from. If it’s in game you could for example state which character gave the information, in which area it can be found in game or which menu it can be read up on.

The reference is usually the page it’s on, though. It’s redundant and a waste of time/effort/reader’s attention to put a footnote saying a quote is from the NPC when that part is obvious because you’re on that NPC’s article. We don’t really feel we need to elaborate that the dialogue you get from talking to the NPC is from walking up to the NPC and talking to the them in-game. Most of this is pretty much assumed, and rightly so. Same with inventory vendors…if it’s sold by that vendor, and you’re on that vendor’s page, why do we need to elaborate that the information was gathered by walking up to the NPC and opening the vendor list and mousing over each item for the details?

(Note: I mainly do dialogue and lore stuff on the wiki, so I’m using that as the main example.)

Now, in the past, there have been a few editors/contributors who insisted that, for example, dialogue should always go on the NPC that said it. Recently, we’ve generally moved to placing such dialogue on the event/content it came from (if said in a dungeon, it goes on that dungeon’s page, etc) and the NPC’s page links to that, to preserve context and avoid swapping back and forth, so that readers can get the whole picture.

I’ve also been trying to enforce a standard where each dialogue is prefaced by a small header saying when that dialogue is encountered. See the Defending Shaemoor page, as an example. Each piece of dialogue has a small header giving a contextual hint on how you get that dialogue, such as when you approach a NPC, during an event.

Unless there’s information pulled from outside the game, I don’t really know what references we could include that the article, headers, text/pictures itself, etc don’t already accomplish.

in Dragon Bash

CorneliusCoffin.3169

The reference is usually the page it’s on, though. It’s redundant and a waste of time/effort/reader’s attention to put a footnote saying a quote is from the NPC when that part is obvious because you’re on that NPC’s article. We don’t really feel we need to elaborate that the dialogue you get from talking to the NPC is from walking up to the NPC and talking to the them in-game. Most of this is pretty much assumed, and rightly so. Same with inventory vendors…if it’s sold by that vendor, and you’re on that vendor’s page, why do we need to elaborate that the information was gathered by walking up to the NPC and opening the vendor list and mousing over each item for the details?

(Note: I mainly do dialogue and lore stuff on the wiki, so I’m using that as the main example.)

Now, in the past, there have been a few editors/contributors who insisted that, for example, dialogue should always go on the NPC that said it. Recently, we’ve generally moved to placing such dialogue on the event/content it came from (if said in a dungeon, it goes on that dungeon’s page, etc) and the NPC’s page links to that, to preserve context and avoid swapping back and forth, so that readers can get the whole picture.

I’ve also been trying to enforce a standard where each dialogue is prefaced by a small header saying when that dialogue is encountered. See the Defending Shaemoor page, as an example. Each piece of dialogue has a small header giving a contextual hint on how you get that dialogue, such as when you approach a NPC, during an event.

Unless there’s information pulled from outside the game, I don’t really know what references we could include that the article, headers, text/pictures itself, etc don’t already accomplish.

I think we’re talking about two different things here.
I am with you that some things (like vendor’s items) do not need to be referenced because they are self evident.
With lore I think it’s a different thing. Let me give you an example I’ve run across in the past days (because I like looking up lore on your wiki):
So in the past days, for obvious reasons, I’ve been looking up the Captain’s Council of Lion Arch on wiki to see who they are and how they work. I found two articles dealing with the council, the one about Lion’s Arch and the standalone article about the captains council and they both contained conflicting information about the appointment of Council members.

From the Lion’s Arch Article:
If they are seen as a leader in the city, then they may purchase one of the seats on the Captain’s Council – when one becomes available

From the Captain’s Council Article:
It consists of privateer captains who are elected into office.

Unfortunately none of these informations came with a source reference, and this time around, I’m afraid it is not so self-evident where I might have to look if I wanted to know which one is accurate and which one isn’t, which is unfortunate because now I feel I’m not a lot smarter than before I looked at the wiki.

in Dragon Bash

Vahkris.6847

I think we’re talking about two different things here.
I am with you that some things (like vendor’s items) do not need to be referenced because they are self evident.
With lore I think it’s a different thing. Let me give you an example I’ve run across in the past days (because I like looking up lore on your wiki):
So in the past days, for obvious reasons, I’ve been looking up the Captain’s Council of Lion Arch on wiki to see who they are and how they work. I found two articles dealing with the council, the one about Lion’s Arch and the standalone article about the captains council and they both contained conflicting information about the appointment of Council members.

From the Lion’s Arch Article:
If they are seen as a leader in the city, then they may purchase one of the seats on the Captain’s Council – when one becomes available

From the Captain’s Council Article:
It consists of privateer captains who are elected into office.

Unfortunately none of these informations came with a source reference, and this time around, I’m afraid it is not so self-evident where I might have to look if I wanted to know which one is accurate and which one isn’t, which is unfortunate because now I feel I’m not a lot smarter than before I looked at the wiki.

Hmmm, good point. Yeah, I see what you mean, you’re referring to more lore-based stuff. I know where the first one comes from, not sure where the second one comes. Ironically, this example may actually be both being true…since it’s purchased…but there may be some sort of election.

The problem here is that due to the size of the city, many random named NPCs have yet to be documented, so most of the information just gets put onto the city’s page if it’s relevant. The first one in particular, though, is indeed documented (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Advisor_Evellana).

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

I was traveling for Father’s Day weekend, and seem to have missed the event entirely. I’m a little disappointed.

That’s your fault, you should have prioritized the game over father’s day.

(That’s what an elitist player would say)

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Luna.8603

Luna.8603

For event details it said in the patch notes on the launcher the times and it also said on the GW2 website. Also you didn’t miss much as the helmets are ugly and are just taking bank space up.

The wings are still obtainable if you just complete all the achievements bar the dragon ball and fireworks one. The moa one is not needed if you can still complete the protect the dolyak thing (which I might add I managed to fall under the map doing) if not the moa one set me back 21.5g but my friend profited 1.4g ish.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

That’s the advantage of when you become the father..

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Wesley.4590

Wesley.4590

I feel sorry for you, but these things can happen. Even if the wiki was managed by ANet it can still contain faulty info incidentally, a few of the latest patch notes pretty much proved that. The wiki has some really dedicated contributors, for what I can see this was definitely not done on purpose by someone just to mess with people.
I’d suggest you make a ticket and clearly explain where it went wrong (linking the correct history page might be a good idea). I’ve found Support to be very supportive (which is rare in games), but of course there is a chance that they won’t help you out here, because they are not responsible for typos/errors on the wiki.
Also it’s good that you mention this, because maybe we all needed a little wake-up call to double check dates and times with the original source just to be sure.

Hope it works out for you

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Meriem.3504

Meriem.3504

Main problem is that the SUPPORT yes, ANET support will link you wiki when you got questions… thereforth it is their fault for supporting a wiki they don’t manage but expect the information you need to be on there and correct… A company should never ever be referencing outside sources at part of their support. They themselves should have all the information you need.

(edited by Meriem.3504)

in Dragon Bash

lordkrall.7241

Main problem is that the SUPPORT yes, ANET support will link you wiki when you got questions… thereforth it is their fault for supporting a wiki they don’t manage but expect the information you need to be on there and correct… A company should never ever be referencing outside sources at part of their support. They themselves should have all the information you need.

The wiki is however not an “outside source” it is the official wiki hosted by ArenaNet.
It is however edited and kept up to date by people, and people can make mistakes. Simple as that.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

Also has a link to the forums, but if you know anything at all about forums I doubt you’d take what’s said on them as guaranteed to be reliable.

in Dragon Bash

Wesley.4590

Whoever you want to blame here, there still really isn’t anything we can do about it. If the wiki wasn’t open to everybody anymore it would be out of date in no time, leading only to more faulty information or no information at all. ANet apparently can’t also manage the wiki themselves and I’d rather have them focus on the game then on the game’s wiki. So the wiki will always be vulnerable to trolls and human errors, this case is an example of such a human error (this wasn’t done by a troll).

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: Tears.5627

Tears.5627

Running Axe on Necro since April 27th, 2012 (Before it was cool)

in Dragon Bash

Wesley.4590

Why did you make a new thread when there’s already a merged thread concerning issues with the fireworks? Plus in the case of the OP it wasn’t really something that was broken and now needs a fix.

in Dragon Bash

Posted by: HellsPriest.6745

HellsPriest.6745

I agree with the original poster here. I’m tired of this game linking and referring all these out sourced websites for help, such as wiki and dulfy and then when they are wrong… we miss out on the achievements/prizes/gear.

Anet is failing more and more as time goes on and it’s getting pretty lame and sad. They must think they have it in the bank and their ego’s are hitting the roof so they are not working as good as they were. Such a shame.

Ahlou – 80 Sylvari Mesmer
Founder of TTS [TTS] gamers
“How do you feel about killing?” …I don’t.