Forced into even more WvW that I despise

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Dalent.9358

Dalent.9358

So, now not only do we need Badges of Honor from WvW for a Legendary, but we also have to have a certain WvW rank for it? Why not just add PvP Rank in there too?

I get some people like WvW, but there is NOTHING fun about it in my eyes. I refused to care about Legendaries initially because of the need of Badges of Honor, but the achievement chest made that easier. Luckily I got my Gift of Battle long before this change, but now we’re dragging people into content they don’t want to be a part of even more than before.

EDIT1: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Gift-of-Battle-rank-requirement-update
EDIT2: By no means am I saying it is fair that WvW only players have to do PvE content for a legendary. But I’m not a WvW player, I don’t know what goes into it, and I am the WORST person to advocate anything for WvW players. So, those WvW players who think it’s unfair, give it a whirl. Come up with an alternative. I can’t, and I haven’t looked for one, because again, I don’t care about WvW. I’d rather have either three MF recipes to get the legendary (one requiring only PvE, one only WvW, one only PvP), or have separate legendaries of each weapon type for each (we already have 3 Greatswords, might as well?)
EDIT3: I wouldn’t be as bothered with WvW requirements for a Legendary if they also added PvP requirements. I’m all for the whole “legendary means you’ve been adequate in all aspects of the game” theory IF it touches all aspects. They probably won’t, because that would require giving PvP Legendary skins and I don’t know why they haven’t done it yet.
Idea: When you craft a legendary, instead of getting the item, get a “[Insert Legendary Name] Chest” that has the Legendary item itself, and the PvP Skin. That way the Mystic Forge still only spits out one item.
EDIT4: As for “buying” WvW rank, you’re asking the PvE players to spend the BoH from chest and their Laurels on rank. Okay, fine. 60 Laurels (aka 40 days of dailies and 2 monthlies) and 1500 Badges of Honor later, do I even have the 500 Badges I need? Maybe, maybe not. Don’t make assumptions.

Akurn – Asura Necromancer
Elzareth – Asura Mesmer

(edited by Dalent.9358)

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Anen.1742

Anen.1742

So, now not only do we need Badges of Honor from WvW for a Legendary, but we also have to have a certain WvW rank for it?

What are you talking about?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Redball.7236

Redball.7236

I think, although I’m not 100% sure, they might have added a rank requirement to the Gift of Battle.

Cassius Snowstorm – Engineer
Tycho Snowpaw – Guardian
Gandara – [WvW]

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Apollo.6573

Apollo.6573

You’re only ‘dragged’ or ‘forced’ into content if you are chasing achievement points – which should not be how you play GW2.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

I don’t know what you are talking about, but being a little forced in WvW is better than solely being forced in PvE. The game has to adress both pve and pvp players.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

I don’t know anything about a rank requirement, but you’ve always needed to be a level 80 to get gift of battle. Ok yeah, now you have to be rank 30 to get it. dang

(edited by A Massive Headache.1879)

in The Edge of the Mists

Dalent.9358

So, now not only do we need Badges of Honor from WvW for a Legendary, but we also have to have a certain WvW rank for it?

What are you talking about?

You now need Rank 30 in WvW to buy the Gift of Battle.

I don’t know what you are talking about, but being a little forced in WvW is better than solely being forced in PvE. The game has to adress both pve and pvp players.

How are WvW players forced into PvE? And the game does address PvE and PvP players. That’s why PvP is different altogether.

You’re only ‘dragged’ or ‘forced’ into content if you are chasing achievement points – which should not be how you play GW2.

In order to make a Legendary, you need a Gift of Mastery. In order to get the Gift of Mastery, you need the Gift of Battle. In order to get the Gift of Battle, you need 500 Badges of Honor. And now, on top of that, you need 30 WvW Rank. I didn’t want to step into WvW to begin with. Why not just add an item component that requires you to have Dolyak rank in PvP and use Glory to get it too?

Elzareth – Asura Mesmer

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Ragnar.4257

Ragnar.4257

How are WvW players forced into PvE? And the game does address PvE and PvP players. That’s why PvP is different altogether.

Are you serious?

How about the Gift you can only get from dungeon runs?

How about nearly every weapon/armour skin in the game that isn’t crafted?

[Scnd][TA][Dius][aX]

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Apollo.6573

Apollo.6573

The idea behind a Legendary weapon is that it is supposed to be somewhat completionist. With the introduction of achievement chests, 500 badges of honor is easy to get without getting into WvW, and WvW is a big part of the game.

It’s supposed to be a ‘show-off’ that you’ve played most of the core content, and played long enough to be ‘worthy’ of a Legendary.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: CeruleanRevolver.6085

CeruleanRevolver.6085

I only think this is fair. Legendary is supposedly a process which takes you to all parts of the game, not just PVE only.

I was annoyed when badges were given out as part of achievement chest.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

If you want to craft a legendary weapon as a WvW player, you are forced to PvE. You need gift of exploration(which includes much more PvE maps than WvW), dungeon tokens etc. So the new WvW rank requirement is good since badge of honor now drops from achievement chests without even entering WvW.

Also don’t forget that majority of achievements and living stories are for PvE and forces players to do PvE.
Spread of available achievements must be balanced between PvE and PvP zones, PvE-only players get more achievements than WvW-only or SPvP-only players.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Fantastic.5298

Fantastic.5298

Yeah Dalent, Idk what you are thinking. The legendary requires a lot of PVE that many people don’t want to do. All they did was increase the WvW requirement a small amount. It was so easy to get Gifts of Battle before and this is no harder.They need to draw the line somewhere, not everyone can be happy. I have my legendary and I have rank 30 on all my characters, and even if I didn’t I would just use whatever requirement they place on the legendary as a new goal

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: peter.2738

peter.2738

Smth different, I like it.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Destram.8651

Destram.8651

The idea behind a Legendary weapon is that it is supposed to be somewhat completionist. With the introduction of achievement chests, 500 badges of honor is easy to get without getting into WvW, and WvW is a big part of the game.

It’s supposed to be a ‘show-off’ that you’ve played most of the core content, and played long enough to be ‘worthy’ of a Legendary.

Yeah, or you know, use a credit card and just buy one.

I’m pretty annoyed you now require rank 30 because i was going to make Moot in a couple of days, i have everything except the obsidian shards thanks to the overnerf of karma months back (which was also the block of my previous legendary). The fact i’m being punished because i didn’t buy the gift of battle yesterday with my tokens is very aggravating because i do not enjoy WvW at all, it’s just a zerg fest of giant groups spamming AoE on another giant group, and giant groups just whailing their weapons against doors. There’s nothing even really to it unless you’re the commander. It’s just lame.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You don’t even need to fight to get the golem parts. Most of the people don’t even know where to go anyway.

in The Edge of the Mists

Dalent.9358

Are you serious?

How about the Gift you can only get from dungeon runs?

How about nearly every weapon/armour skin in the game that isn’t crafted?

Again, I hate WvW, so I stay as far away from it as possible. So yes, these two factors I overlooked.

Which makes sense. But then why is PvP not counted? Only 2/3 of the game is.

I only think this is fair. Legendary is supposedly a process which takes you to all parts of the game, not just PVE only.

And again, PvP is still left out of the equation. I agree Badges should have never been added to the chest. But I don’t think the requiring of Rank is a good solution

Elzareth – Asura Mesmer

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Well to really be fair, they should take away all the legendries made by players who where not level 30 when they made them, refund their materials and make them do it all over again.
Seriously? If they are going to force that on players now, then they should make it so you have to be level 30 before you can even equip them. If you already have a legendary then it cannot be used again until you are WvW level 30 or more. Fair is fair, why should some players be forced to have a requirement that others do not?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Guy.4809

Guy.4809

Honestly, rank 30 doesn’t take too long to get. I’m sitting at rank 90 and I do not play WvW often. The most I have ever played it was during season one for achieves (and when you know what your doing, it can be quite fun). And I like how making a legendary requires a player to tap into (almost) all aspects of the game. Its a legendary for goodness sake. I only wish there was some sort of PvP aspect to making one. That’ll be the day.

Emerl (Thief) – Proud owner of QUIP – ET

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: urieldhynne.2743

urieldhynne.2743

So, now not only do we need Badges of Honor from WvW for a Legendary, but we also have to have a certain WvW rank for it? Why not just add PvP Rank in there too?

I get some people like WvW, but there is NOTHING fun about it in my eyes. I refused to care about Legendaries initially because of the need of Badges of Honor, but the achievement chest made that easier. Luckily I got my Gift of Battle long before this change, but now we’re dragging people into content they don’t want to be a part of even more than before.

Just get on EBG and follow the blue icon. Is like farming champions in pve but funnier.

I see worst force wvw players to run a lot of instances and do a lot of pve for map completion to get the legendary. A little of wvw dont gonna hurt you. The game is full of FORCED pve.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Peacenote.1698

Peacenote.1698

Question about this: from what I understand of WvW, isn’t there more of a danger of ruining the spirit of WvW by “forcing” uninterested players to participate than there is in PvE?

What I mean by this is, if WvW players hate regular PvE content, but slowly trudge through it to get their Legendary, it isn’t ruining the PvE experience of other players. Those folks can blaze through vistas and hearts and other PvE activities needed for completion without being held back by the WvW folks who perhaps are grudgingly completing the content.

But, in WvW, there is a limit to folks who can enter the map, you have to queue, servers are competing against each other, etc. Seems to me that the balance will be upset if the areas get filled up with “regular” PvE’ers that are doing it just to get their rank, but have no interest in learning the ins and outs of WvW. Won’t that negatively impact the epic battles and strategy of WvW for those who do enjoy it?

I don’t play WvW, and I doubt I’ll ever have a Legendary, so this is really more a question posed out of curiosity. Maybe the “fairness” of having more requirements for a Legendary in WvW actually messes too much with the experience of why most people actually participate?

Seems to me that adding badges to the chests was a way for folks to get their Legendaries via a slower path, without interfering with the experience for the people who actually cared about WvW, while real completionists could get their Legendary faster by actively participating in all aspects of the game, including WvW. Now that might be disrupted by folks joining just to get to rank 30.

WvW straddles the line between PvE and PvP. I think a better solution would be to have Legendaries be crafted by a certain number of Gifts, but require at least one less than all of them so folks aren’t forced to do something they truly aren’t interested in. Have a PvE one, a PvP one, a WvW one, a crafting one, and a “collect lots of stuff one,” but require only 3/5 or 4/5 to make the Legendary.

Even better, have an alternate version where you could create a Legendary with 5 “lesser” gifts, which all have slightly less requirements to create, but reward folks who explore all areas of the game but don’t master every one.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

You can turn your BoH into +1 WXP level and not touch actual WvW

50 BoH + 2 Laurals = 1 WXP level.

Not to mention you are going to get some WXP levels getting map completion. If you want an item that represents game completion I don’t see a problem with actually having to do the entire game.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Grimno.6172

Grimno.6172

The content is easy as pie, and so is getting to rank 30.

To get the golem parts, just go below the center island. Your side will have a zerg. Stay with them, and once they get close to the center island, just go under it, grab the piece and done!
All you have to do in WvW.

And to get rank 30? Literally just do this. Grab a long ranged rifle, and follow the zerg and just… shooting everything. It’s not rocket science. Shoot everything. Stand in capture zones. Badda boom badda bing.

Grimno Lvl 80 WR
Lance Delgado Lvl 20 Thief

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Moka.9641

Moka.9641

Why can’t I get my lengendary just by capping numerous amount of keeps, killing numerous X amount of ppl, and like 50k wvw badges + 500rank+? I don’t want to make mystic clovers, those gifts, do the required dungeons and all that crap

[AW]- The Holy Engineer

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Undertaker.2731

Undertaker.2731

I really enjoyed finishing off pve-ers in eotm

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Fantastic.5298

Fantastic.5298

They stand out like sore thumbs

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Undertaker.2731

Undertaker.2731

They stand out like sore thumbs

Anything that says “Invader” is easy loot ty Anet

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Helcor.9527

Helcor.9527

Dont worry OP. Most WvW people are disgusted too. Not only is wvw a complete disaster since launch as far as class balance is concerned but the “play how you want” aspect was never really realized as well. Its sad.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Yojimaru.4980

Yojimaru.4980

With the introduction of achievement chests, 500 badges of honor is easy to get without getting into WvW, and WvW is a big part of the game.

Lol… It’s only a big part of the game in WvW players heads. It has no significant impact whatsoever on the greater pve world or the pve player base, and forcing them into it will only make them dislike the mode and it’s dedicated player base even more than they already do.

in The Edge of the Mists

ShiningSquirrel.3751

With the introduction of achievement chests, 500 badges of honor is easy to get without getting into WvW, and WvW is a big part of the game.

Lol… It’s only a big part of the game in WvW players heads. It has no significant impact whatsoever on the greater pve world or the pve player base, and forcing them into it will only make them dislike the mode and it’s dedicated player base even more than they already do.

Yeah, force me in to WvW and I may start trying to “play the way I want”.
I think I may want to walk golems off the cliff just to see if they can fly, or maybe see how much supplies I can use by building siege equipment as far behind friendly lines as possible (keeps them safe that way). The ways I can “play the way I want” seem almost endless. ;-)

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

Or if you’re crafting a legendary weapon, or following the living story…

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Hey now, I’m a PvE player, and I love WvW, it’s really great!

It’s the place I magically zone into when I need city services without losing my exact location in the “real” gaming world.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Helcor.9527

Helcor.9527

PvE people should not have to wvw. And wvw centered players should not have to pve. Its that simple. Whats so hard about that logic?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: AlecFair.1270

AlecFair.1270

Dont see the problem since you can atm make 6 rank 5 toon pretty quickly. Now after WvW ranks combine then it will be a problem for the lazy.

Also the amount of gold you waste depending on your luck equals that the amount of a legendary so you can just buy it probably for alot more cheaper than making it.

Tarnished Coast – Got mah Toast on. :V
Tizzle Mindwrack – Crazy Asura Lore Keeper of [AARM]

in The Edge of the Mists

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Dont see the problem since you can atm make 6 rank 5 toon pretty quickly. Now after WvW ranks combine then it will be a problem for the lazy.

Also the amount of gold you waste depending on your luck equals that the amount of a legendary so you can just buy it probably for alot more cheaper than making it.

Can you point out where the devs have said they are going to add all the ranks together, and not just use the highest rank like they did for fractals?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Vael Victus.2654

Vael Victus.2654

Note the legendaries are certainly something you don’t have to do.

And hey! It’s really only 60 laurels + 1500 badges extra if you don’t want to play. You even get loot out of the rank-up boxes.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Kaizz.7306

Kaizz.7306

Pretty much this. I’ve had my Sunrise for a few weeks now, but I had my gift of mastery back before the first halloween event. I’m glad that there’s a bit more that’s required to get a legendary now. People were complaining that a legendary is just a giant money fest, doesn’t take much but just getting lucky. Now there’s a bit more involved. Rank 30 is honestly not hard at all, even if you don’t like WvW. It’d probably take you a week or two of spending an hour a day in a karma train to get it, probably sooner depending on the server.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Can you point out where the devs have said they are going to add all the ranks together, and not just use the highest rank like they did for fractals?

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/world-xp-and-you/

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Amok Threeohthree.8501

Amok Threeohthree.8501

Didn’t even realise that, oh well, no legendary for me then

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

it’s just a zerg fest of giant groups spamming AoE on another giant group, and giant groups just whailing their weapons against doors. There’s nothing even really to it unless you’re the commander. It’s just lame.

Funny thats how i feel about PvE these days. One living story update after another, just mindless zerg content.
Or champ farming in Orr/FG. The only time i need my keyboard is to jump a small gap. Dont pretend WvW is just mindless zerging, its what you make of it. And just as well, PvE has a ton of equally mindless zerging aswell.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Black Lotus.7318

Black Lotus.7318

I do agree that it makes more sense that they added a rank requirement to it, given that a legendary was supposed to be somewhat a completionist item, and that you were supposed to have “mastered” all content.

However, what I dislike is the lack of communication of this by ArenaNet. There was no forewarning of this at all, and I believe players should be entitled to an important change to an item such as this.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: FooDang.2498

FooDang.2498

I laugh when the PvE grinders QQ about WvW. I dont write QQ threads about having to do Guild Missions in Tyria. That is the only PvE content I even touch in this game.

I get some people find farming gold and skins and defeating AI (Artificial Intelligence) enjoyable and cringe at the thought of losing to HI (Human Intellegence)…

But…Its only 30 levels, Suck it up. Small potatoes compared to World completion.

If ANET gives you an easier means to get the Gift of Battle then I want Dungeons skins and Runes available in WvW. Everybody wins

Edit: I almost forgot, Fractal Gear needs to be Available in WvW as well.

(edited by FooDang.2498)

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Impact Blue.5864

Impact Blue.5864

30 WvW Ranks is peanuts

Impaçt Blûe [RI]
Crystal Desert

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

ANet wants WvW-only players to PvE. They want PvE-only players to WvW. They don’t force anyone to do either, but they tie the biggest carrot (arguably the only carrot) in the game to “entice” the two groups to inter-mingle. The result is:

The plus side is someone trying the game mode they despise and liking it — ANet wins. The minus side is someone chooses not to pursue the carrot. This means the biggest pursuit in the game is no longer on their radar. This might mean nothing, or they might leave the game sooner — ANet loses.

The whole thing is a gamble on ANet’s part that the plus players will outweigh the minus players. If, as a developer, you have a passion for both aspects of the game, the gamble makes sense. Humans tend to predict others’ reactions based on their own. If, as a player, the gamble alienates you, the gamble doesn’t make sense.

That’s what’s going on — now, take that to Starbucks, where the explanation, plus ~$4 to $5 will get you a gourmet coffee.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Ricky Da Man.5064

Ricky Da Man.5064

I think I may want to walk golems off the cliff just to see if they can fly, or maybe see how much supplies I can use by building siege equipment as far behind friendly lines as possible (keeps them safe that way). The ways I can “play the way I want” seem almost endless. ;-)

I am tempted to test that later, the flying golem…

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Pretty much this. I’ve had my Sunrise for a few weeks now, but I had my gift of mastery back before the first halloween event. I’m glad that there’s a bit more that’s required to get a legendary now. People were complaining that a legendary is just a giant money fest, doesn’t take much but just getting lucky. Now there’s a bit more involved. Rank 30 is honestly not hard at all, even if you don’t like WvW. It’d probably take you a week or two of spending an hour a day in a karma train to get it, probably sooner depending on the server.

I have 0 intention of crafting any more legendary weapons now. I can’t stand WvW. Why not make people R10000 in PVP as well while we are at it, and make people pay 5000 gems for a legendary crafting item from the gem store

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

should have been rank 100 to make the weapon worth the legendary status….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Dalris Thane.6314

Dalris Thane.6314

You are my new hero ShiningSquirrel. Doubly so for your sig. And I thought I was “gaming the game” by doing World Completion with no armour i.e. no repair costs.

The worst I’ve ever done was when I’d had enough of “cry moar carebear!” posts and I got a bunch of people to roleplay in the WvW maps. I’m sorry, did that increase their queue times? Totally unintentional. Good luck on them trying to thought police that with /report.

Your ideas have far more class, ShiningSquirrel, well done.

I still miss 1990s FMV. Wing Commander 3-4. I’d prefer CYOA interactive movies any day.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Decado.9304

Decado.9304

As has been mentioned

“30 WvW Ranks is peanuts”
“50 BoH + 2 Laurals = 1 WXP level”
“Small potatoes compared to World completion.”

All are pretty valid.

If you really despise wvw then just PvE more and buy the ranks you need, hell I’m mostly wvw and i’m tripping over laurels most of the time so it’s not even that difficult a task.

No-one is forced to wvw for a legendary but if you decide to go there to get what you need, you’ll do it very rapidly. Unlike that world completion, never doing that again….

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Is this yet another “Oh no I have to get into that scary place where people are trying to kill me. let me get back to my pve where monsters chase me for 2 centimeters” kinda post.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: jsduke.6537

jsduke.6537

Bad call, ANet. This is the wrong way to encourage participation. My dislike of WvW has reached an all new high.