Blade shards and found belongings - really?

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Rimetin.3405

Rimetin.3405

Heirlooms and found belongings can’t be traded for goods after today’s patch. However, we’re told leftover blade shards can be traded in for stuff soon! Cool? No.

So you’ve just turned items that had a use throughout the event for everyone (and therefore they were worth getting) absolutely useless. And before anyone says “you should’ve used them during the event then!” yes, I will admit it is my fault for not having done so. I missed the notifs that said the vendors will be gone after this patch, and while I wish anet would’ve made that clearer, it’s my own fault for putting off actually using the tokens.

However, now you’re giving items that previously were only valuable for people who knew they’d bother making the exclusive backpiece a new use: you can trade THEM in for rewards! Whoo!

Except no. Most probably, at least what I would’ve done if I wasn’t set on crafting that backpiece, people who had no intention to get the item would have DESTROYED THEIR BLADE SHARDS. Simply because they take up inventory space, and nobody wants to keep useless things in their inventory because they know they’ll never use them. Because there was no way of knowing they’d have a special use AFTER the kitten event.

I mean, how backwards can your logic be, Anet? Or did I miss some reddit-exclusive announcement at the beginning of the event that said to keep the blade shards, you’ll be able to use them in the future because the items specifically meant for trade from the beginning would be rendered useless?

I’m not asking for the found belonging and heirloom vendors to be returned. I am simply asking: why? Because I see no logic beind this move, except to give a giant “kitten you!” to the playerbase.

Posted by: Undertaker.2731

Undertaker.2731

Well i didnt want the backpiece, but i still saved up about 15 stacks of blade shards just in case this might happend.

So next time better safe then sorry.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Unless you watch the dev posts on the forums like a hawk, it’s nearly impossible to know what’s really going on with the new items that flood your bags every 2 weeks.

=/

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

From my experience it is never a good idea to delete event items until you see a message from Anet as to the future or lack there of for the items. The found belongings we were told that there would be no use for them after the event. The blade shards we were not told what would occur. If you deleted them then consider it a lessoned learned.

The Burninator

Posted by: Fallout.1798

Fallout.1798

Please add back the found belongings vendors! Half the player base still has plenty of those to turn in.

Stormbluff Isle
[AoD]- Commander Vars Wolf

Posted by: dorin.4618

dorin.4618

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I don’t watch dev posts like a hawk, but I do listen and talk to guildmates. I find out something and let them know and they do the same. I deleted a few stacks of blade shards then a guildie told me hey they’re going to have some use so I saved them. I don’t understand how people are completely and totally oblivious unless they have all chat turned off and never ever visit the forums. Live & learn.

Rimetin.3405

I didn’t delete my shards, since I’m still going to craft that backpiece (which I didn’t get around to doing yet since I only get to play on weekends due to living circumstances), but I have a strong feeling some people have.

Anet should REALLY make improvements to how they announce these things. I occasionally go on these forums, and I follow their facebook, and as said I still missed the announcement. It’d be nice if things like this were communicated properly, particularly due to the fact that I can rarely play more than once a week. I should not be required to “watch dev announcements like a hawk” to get important bits of information like this.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Good thing I have time to read those posts that are buried within the forums! I deleted mine but honestly, I don’t really care. I KNOW the rewards for saving them will be utterly ugly and or useless, unless they give cold hard cash for them.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

LS after LS, single-time non-recurring event-bound items come and go. LS after LS, it’s 2 weeks per update. This time ANet reps even took their time to jump in and say yes, heirlooms and belongings will go, but since blade shards are a constant drop from Aetherblades, keep ’em.

But people never learn nor try to think whether these things make sense story-wise, and instead spend their time writing long posts (during which they could’ve gone to a merchant and spent those before each update). I wish ANet started to delete these threads.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Inyourprime.3054

Inyourprime.3054

Unless you watch the dev posts on the forums like a hawk, it’s nearly impossible to know what’s really going on with the new items that flood your bags every 2 weeks.

=/

Indeed. Navigating these forums is hard enough with the negative spew of how Guild Wars 2 is dead, etc, etc. I don’t have time to shuffle through that to find dev posts. I am thankful to have friends that do this and I was told to keep my blade shards. I’ve got stacks of it in my bank.

Posted by: smithkt.8062

smithkt.8062

Good thing I have time to read those posts that are buried within the forums! I deleted mine but honestly, I don’t really care. I KNOW the rewards for saving them will be utterly ugly and or useless, unless they give cold hard cash for them.

You don’t need to read through all the buried posts to know what the devs are saying. Just check the “Dev Tracker” forum: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/devtracker

Stormcrow.7513

You don’t need to read through all the buried posts to know what the devs are saying. Just check the “Dev Tracker” forum: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/devtracker

Attachments:

smithkt.8062

Seriously? Takes only a few minutes.

Rimetin.3405

I’d like to point out here that if I recall correctly, most, if not all, LS events with special currencies – Halloween, Wintersday, Dragon Bash – it has been possible to trade in that special currency for goods after the event. I assumed it would be the case for this one too. Evidently, I was wrong. But it’s ridiculous to say we should be used to this by now, because this has never been the case before.

Also, the point still stands I’m playing a game. Put important stuff like this in the game announcements. Or the news panel you get on logging in. They shouldn’t require players to read the forums to get this info.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I will admit it is my fault for not having done so. I missed the notifs that said the vendors will be gone after this patch, and while I wish anet would’ve made that clearer, it’s my own fault for putting off actually using the tokens.

It pays to read the forums and follow Red posts. While not everyone has the time to follow everything, you should consider at least clicking on the posts that show Dev responses. Esp. when a thread is titled “What to do with Blade Shards?” or something similar.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Stormcrow.7513

Yep, Rimetin is 100% correct. Anet should be putting this IN THE GAME to let players know instead of wafting through countless threads looking for information.

smithkt.8062

I’d like to point out here that if I recall correctly, most, if not all, LS events with special currencies – Halloween, Wintersday, Dragon Bash – it has been possible to trade in that special currency for goods after the event. I assumed it would be the case for this one too. Evidently, I was wrong. But it’s ridiculous to say we should be used to this by now, because this has never been the case before.

Also, the point still stands I’m playing a game. Put important stuff like this in the game announcements. Or the news panel you get on logging in. They shouldn’t require players to read the forums to get this info.

Despite what I said above, I actually agree completely. I was just trying to offer a way for people to stay informed a little more easily.

Posted by: Eripetra.6791

Eripetra.6791

A couple of days ago, I mentioned what was going to happen in map chat. If ANet won’t include log-in announcements, at least we can inform others while in-game.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Well, to be fair, nobody said the items we can trade our blades for will be anything we’ll want anyway.

Stormcrow.7513

A couple of days ago, I mentioned what was going to happen in map chat. If ANet won’t include log-in announcements, at least we can inform others while in-game.

I would bet your words reached more ears than a dev update post from who knows when…

smithkt.8062

Yep, Rimetin is 100% correct. Anet should be putting this IN THE GAME to let players know instead of wafting through countless threads looking for information.

But that’s my point. You don’t have to waft through countless threads. The dev tracker forum has all dev posts consolidated into one thread.

I agree they should do a much better job of making the players aware of this, but the information is available without too much trouble.

Posted by: Image.8630

Image.8630

Problem is that I was in LA doing a last run when the announcement for the new patch arrived. When I went to redeem the heirlooms I had, I got a forced update so was never able to go back to a camp to exchange them. Leaving the merchant for a few more days wouldn’t do any harm and make everyone happy.

Posted by: Tseikk.9032

Tseikk.9032

^ agree. I have a friend that played gw2 once with me within the last 4 weeks. We did like 4 escape from LA events, and now he’s asking where can he turn the stuff into something useful. He doesn’t read the forums and rarely plays, aka fully casual. What should i answer him? because you are a casual half of your stuff is gone now?

I speak for myself, not for my server or my guild.
Solo roamer, all classes.

Posted by: TonyWn.4376

TonyWn.4376

Am I the only one to find it ironic that the very people stating they do not have the time or inclination to read the dev notes have no problem finding the thread to express their displeasure of “not being kept up to date” on items in a 2 week LS?

Posted by: Bunschii.2918

Bunschii.2918

This is kinda frustrating. I got496 heirloom which im about to turn in for the potion. Just a wasted time

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I’ve saved every event item since LS started because I wasn’t sure if they’d come in handy or not. It’s been my experience never to get rid of ANYTHING until you’re absolutely certain it’s worthless.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Yea, the inconsistency on when to save items really makes it tough to know what to do everything.

Determining what items to keep and what items to get rid of is enough to make your head spin. I mean, stuff like Candy Corn, Sprockets, etc. are all still very worthwhile items to have, but then you have other stuff like Found Belongings that are only solid currency for an arbitrary period of time.

There’s so much talk from the devs about how most players don’t spend time on the forums, but you wouldn’t think they know this from the way they communicate: leaving official announcements in random threads.

Posted by: Bunschii.2918

Bunschii.2918

did they do patch earlier today? was really expecting to be able to buy those potions :C

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

My patch was ready to go early this morning.

Posted by: Thayel.1236

Thayel.1236

The Dev Tracker is there for a reason. Every time I come to the forum that is the first thing I click and scroll through. The message about these things going away when patch hit was posted days ago. People were talking about it in map chat constantly. My guild has a person that puts important information like this in our in game message of the day. Might wanna think about having a guildmate do the same for your own guild. If you were caught “unaware” then you were not paying attention.

Posted by: Mr Bimble.2764

Mr Bimble.2764

Big deal.Hidden away in forums is not the best way to inform.I found out today after the update.So I’ve just deleted all the LS stuff thats filled up my bags for the last few days.Nice to have the space back.

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

Eh to be honest, I had read the warning that the merchant will go away but the patch usually comes 2-3 hours later so I got up early in hopes to trade in my found belongings and the game was already patched. I would like to get a confirmation from an Anet dev that I am truly out of luck and I should go ahead and delete them.

Posted by: Mr Bimble.2764

Mr Bimble.2764

Scrolling through this is a time consuming waste.Full of unneeded posts.Game info should be ingame and obvious.Power to the Player!!!

Posted by: Tseikk.9032

Tseikk.9032

^ this!

I speak for myself, not for my server or my guild.
Solo roamer, all classes.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

These are recurrent festive activities. The Tower of Nightmares (with its triple keys), the Twisted Marionette (with its cyphers), the Escape from LA (with belongings and heirlooms) are one-time only events (unless Scarlet gets resurrected with an amnesia).

A meteor landed in your town, and you got a piece of it. You sold it for a hefty sum of money following the hype. Several months later, nobody wants another piece anymore.

A scientific experiment is carried out, and people are getting payed for gathering dandelions. Several months later, the experiment is over and nobody wants your dandelions.

An “exchange old phone for new!” campaign is started by a local mall. After the campaign ends, nobody wants the old cellphones that you were buying from EBay to exchange for new ones.

These are real-world scenario, but they illustrate why it makes perfect sense to turn in your once-in-a-lifetime event tokens during the respective LS. To me, it was common to the extent that I farmed the extra 7 belongings for the 93 I had in the morning and turned them in before the new “empty” patch rolled out.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: kgptzac.8419

kgptzac.8419

Since I regularly read forums I was not hit by this… but come to think of it, the lack of announcement either in game or on the launcher seems to be… not nice. It’s common sense to leave the trader up for a period of time after special event tokens stopped being handed out. It’s common sense in online gaming. Apparently ANet not only went against this common sense, they also failed to properly telling players.

looks like their communication problems is deeper than I thought.

a shard of crystal in the desert.

Posted by: Klonex.4562

Klonex.4562

there was a topic about people deleting their shards ~ Anet responded by saying not to delete them because they were be used for something else.
i managed to craft back piece quite quickly when the event was on though i wasn’t sure if i should delete the extra shards. Anet has been known to add rewards/things to the game when we get more than enough of the same items through these events. i knew not to delete them. ~ glad i saw the thread when i did and i’ve been saving them since then ~
though you shouldn’t be too upset since it’s your fault for not turning in your items, you had more than enough time and it only takes a a minute or two to turn them in.

~Krystal <3 Angela ~
~ I taught cows how to Moo! ~

(edited by Klonex.4562)

Posted by: fnordette.4139

fnordette.4139

I wish that there would have been an announcement on the log on screen at least about what was going to happen with heirlooms and belongings, because I just figured i’d be able to trade them in the same way you could zaitaffy or halloween stuff after those events. So, the city’s not under attack anymore so… nobody wants their stuff back? How does that make sense?

Posted by: Icealen.3802

Icealen.3802

New living story starts, new items start dropping/appearing, you collect items, hang onto nonspendable items for that living story event until it’s over. You’d still have your blade shards if you did that.

If items are spendable during an event, why the heck would you hang onto them? What purpose does that serve but only to make you look like a chronic hoarder? Spend them.

Problem solved.

(edited by Icealen.3802)

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I’ll be honest, I often check the forums so I can inform as many people in map chat as I can.

Posted by: hedition.7261

hedition.7261

I don’t see why there is a need for the dev to inform you to or not to hold onto event items.
Just like ascended rings, if they want they can make them upgradable into the whatever next rarity level they implement, salvagable or merely as useless now.
They don’t have to tell you. You decide for yourself.

Posted by: paynesgrey.8932

paynesgrey.8932

So all those folks decided “Hey, my city is destroyed, most of my loved ones dead… I don’t want those found belongings back…”

I work 10 hour days, I don’t have time to read every update to see if my loot is going to be suddenly junked. Maybe I’m just spoiled by games that have a grace period to use obsolete event items. Maybe I just didn’t realize it would break their system to leave one lousy vendor standing around somewhere to turn those in to.

Great jobs, Devs, you really showed me what comes of not catching an obscure post on the forum.

Great way to sour me on the whole event.

Posted by: fnordette.4139

fnordette.4139

When I finished playing last night, I was exhausted. And I still hadnt gotten enough heirlooms, and I said “Oh well, ill trade these in tomorrow”. I havent had any time to play GW2 for months, it just hadnt occurred to me that the vendor would be gone the next day. Which sucks, but oh well. I think I am more disappointed in the community’s “sucks to be you” attitude towards those of us who missed the window than I am in having missed the window.

Posted by: paynesgrey.8932

paynesgrey.8932

Yeah, it seems that a bunch of the Serious Gamers are delighted that those of us mere hobbyists who don’t check the dev posts daily got hosed. “BUT YOU CAN ASK IN MAP CHAT” doesn’t fly. I’m too busy playing to stop and yell “HEY! Is my stuff all going to spoil all of a sudden?”

“Oh, but we mentioned it in one post on a forum…” Really. That’s simply ridiculous. Normally, when an MMO event ends, there’res a straggler merchant left around to cash in those leftovers with for those players who can’t take time every day to read every dev post.

But at least the Serious Gamers can gloat, and I guess that’s what’s important.

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

If I had a website I would make it “Stuff you need to know in GW2”

And it would contain one or two bullet points like.

• Tomorrow the Heirloom and Belongings Vendor will be gone.
  • Save your blade shards as they will have another use later.

In like 48pt font.

Can even make it a mobile app. TEXT: GW2INFO and it sends you a text with that.

2 seconds before logging into a game and BAM you have the only information you really need to know.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Bart.4619

Bart.4619

I am scared to throw found belongings and hierlooms away now just like I did with a couple thousand or more of the blade shards….

To bad in the game while visiting the merchant{s} that he doesnt mention his intentions to leave soon etc…..

Rimetin.3405

These are recurrent festive activities. The Tower of Nightmares (with its triple keys), the Twisted Marionette (with its cyphers), the Escape from LA (with belongings and heirlooms) are one-time only events (unless Scarlet gets resurrected with an amnesia).

A meteor landed in your town, and you got a piece of it. You sold it for a hefty sum of money following the hype. Several months later, nobody wants another piece anymore.

A scientific experiment is carried out, and people are getting payed for gathering dandelions. Several months later, the experiment is over and nobody wants your dandelions.

An “exchange old phone for new!” campaign is started by a local mall. After the campaign ends, nobody wants the old cellphones that you were buying from EBay to exchange for new ones.

These are real-world scenario, but they illustrate why it makes perfect sense to turn in your once-in-a-lifetime event tokens during the respective LS. To me, it was common to the extent that I farmed the extra 7 belongings for the 93 I had in the morning and turned them in before the new “empty” patch rolled out.

There’s a flaw in your statement right there. Several months. Even the tri-color vendor keys, and Scarlet’s cyphers, could be traded for stuff after the event and it was clearly announced for the tri-colors te chest would be disapearing. By “after the event” I mean AFTER THE STUFF STOPPED DROPPING. It makes no sense to make an exception for the LA stuff, especially since in-game-wise it makes no sense for people to go “oh I lost my home, now I don’t even want the stuff I had back.”

If the merchant remained for just a few days, it would be no problem – especially since as someone said up there, they were still running LA when the patch came out and had no way of turning leftover tokens in!

Rimetin.3405

Addendum: for reasons why some people might hold onto the special tokens until the event ends, well, here’s mine.

1. This is purely my own fault, but I had to leave after the weekend and screwed up my schedule so I didn’t have time to turn the tokens in. I thought it wouldn’t be a big deal since every single time before it’s been possible to turn in leftovers after they stop dropping.
2. When you have 10+ characters and 1000+ tokens, it doesn’t take “just a few minutes” to turn them in if you have many that you play regularly, alts still to level, and generally have to think what’s best to buy.
3. It’s just nice to go buy things when you know exactly how much you have to spend. I hate to buy things when the stuff is still dropping cause that easily makes one go “oohh I’ll just spend all of this stuff now and be done with it” and then bamm – you find yourself with another 100 tokens the next day.
4. As pointed out above, someone may still have been running the event when the patch went up, which naturally gives no time to turn any leftovers in. This wasn’t an issue in Tower of Nightmares: the tri-colors could still be used two weeks later, but they could only be obtained from the vendor. Same for Marionette: cyphers could still be used like a month after, but culd no longer be obtained.

(edited by Rimetin.3405)

Posted by: AirimirOfGondor.9081

AirimirOfGondor.9081

I am in the still-has-stuff boat as well. I don’t go to check the forums until I’m looking for specific information. I am actually a bit upset now – I opted to not spend my found belongings right away, as I was trying to decide which of the materials I wanted to get.

I am now left with 14 full stacks of found belongings, and 100 found heirlooms.

As I do not check the forums all the time, nor do I pay attention in map chat all the time, I was not aware that the vendors for these items were going away. I think that Anet could easily send out an in-game mail for important news like this, especially if they are removing the use of a particular item, and not leave us in the dark unless we check outside sources.

I think that leaving the vendors in for a few days would have been the best course of action. As holiday vendors were not removed immediately, I do not see why these vendors should be removed right away. At the very least, maybe we could be allowed to vendor the belongings and heirlooms? Nothing too extravagant, of course, I would even be happy with something like 10 silver per stack