Event overflow feedback

Event overflow feedback

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Hobbs.9260

Hobbs.9260

What the kitten kittening kitten, god kittened kitten. Ok, first off great job Anet, this LS thing you guys did is amazing. It really is going to bring MMO’s into an entire new generation. Making events that have the entire community come together and fight as one is amazing.
Only thing is now the map doesnt get purged every hour leaving the majority of people stuck on overflow 15 million no chance of doing anything. I realize you dont want to be GW1 anymore, and by all means I agree this is heads over heels better then anything you ever had in the first game…..wait no, thats not entirely true…..you guys really had something there with allowing us to choose our districts – barring that it wasnt full anyways, all you did was grey out the option making it un-clickable. Districts…overflows…isnt it all really just the same thing?
Listen, the bottom line is that I dont really care if I cant easily get into a main server at any given time, just at least give me the option of please choosing a different overflow. And I may be pushing it here – it would seem just having this basic option is pushing it too – but it would also be cool if we could keep our spot in waiting for main as while being able to do a overflow hop.

80 ele Deaths Misstress [DEAD] – Blackgate NA East Coast

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Zayd Akira.1942

Zayd Akira.1942

they said after the end of the living story season one they were gonna take a break to give out a lot of living quality improvements. maybe this is one of them.

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

they said after the end of the living story season one they were gonna take a break to give out a lot of living quality improvements. maybe this is one of them.

Doubtful as any Anet dev that plays the game can always get into the main server so it doesn’t really affect them does it, I was stuck in OF for 7 hours yesterday, a friend guested over to my server was in the same OF and 10 mins later it popped for them to join main server, they did, and they where in the main server of my world not there own, so guests can get into main servers but people native to them worlds cannot, so I was stuck in an OF server hoping that events would get completed, ( as many others where too )

I hope whoever decided OF was a good idea no longer works for Anet, they should have stuck to the same design as GW1 where it become district 1, 2, 3, 4 etc that allows you to move.

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

Doubtful as any Anet dev that plays the game can always get into the main server so it doesn’t really affect them does it

…Really? You think they made GW2 just so they could have infinite dev hacks and laugh at all the poor miserable ‘normals’?

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

(…)Only thing is now the map doesnt get purged every hour leaving the majority of people stuck on overflow 15 million no chance of doing anything (…) Listen, the bottom line is that I dont really care if I cant easily get into a main server at any given time, just at least give me the option of please choosing a different overflow (…) it would also be cool if we could keep our spot in waiting for main as while being able to do a overflow hop.

Doubtful as any Anet dev that plays the game can always get into the main server so it doesn’t really affect them does it, (…)I was stuck in an OF server hoping that events would get completed, ( as many others where too )

I hope whoever decided OF was a good idea no longer works for Anet, they should have stuck to the same design as GW1 where it become district 1, 2, 3, 4 etc that allows you to move.

I see a serious case of “the grass is greener on my neighbors yard” here.
What exactly makes you think in the main server things are better or easier?

I’m from Desolation and on the Marionette events I’ve won it more often in overflows, how many times after it, I got back on main and people were complaining they just lost it? A bunch of times.
Then you have the Wurm, more often bugged on main servers you were seriously better on an overflow, not to mention AFK campers.

You lose the events because you just do, and something has to be blamed, why not overflows right? It’s the easy target, lets all blame overflows, it failed because we are in an overflow, because everyone knows only bad players end up on an overflow and there for it is impossible to do anything in it, right?
Remember the Queens Pavilion? It was pretty much impossible to “lose”, I think it was the only time we didn’t get a stock pile of complains about overflows, because it was just brain dead farm #1 spam, any new content that required even the slightest tiny little bit of coordination, people instantly blame the fails on overflows if they are in one, on main, well… something.

People seriously need to get this idea of main=good, overflow=bad out of their heads, events WILL fail, they fail just as often on main servers.

Now here’s a funny thing, last night I was in an overflow, and a user was complaining about it as usual.
I’ve mention to him that if it wasn’t for overflows, he’d be waiting on a queue in a loading screen, this way he was playing.
He went ahead and replied he’d rather be in a loading screen because “that way at least Anet had to recognize the problem and buy better servers to fix it”.
So his solution was to have even more people stock piled in 1 map doing these events…

Now I’m asking you guys, whats your solution? Think having more people per map so you could be in a holy main would be it? You mention server hop, what’s that for? Finding the “winning” team and piggy back along?

The only real problem of overflows are the language barrier, and that’s only an excuse in Europe.
Everything else is just a sore loser excuse and the need people have to point the finger.

Just look at Teq, 10 players on west turret, 10 on east, rest at his feet, pull back to defend, repeat.
Easy peasy, lemon squeezy, or it should be if most people didn’t jump on meta zerker and stay dead on the ground most of the combat, that’s an overflow issue right? I mean it must be, has to, what else could possibly be the problem? Something like that would never happen on a main server ever.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Morbridae.8607

Morbridae.8607

There’s nothing wrong with the Overflows, as long as the game make sure that any overflow will be fully populated before creating a new one. I had been on a “empty” OF, just to be moved to another OF, “emptier”.

For me, the whole OF problem is just a people problem. Something like “I am on OF, so I will lose, so I will stop playing well because of that”. Give your best, be in a main server or in an OF, and you will see that you will start losing less and less.

Morbridae (Norn Necromancer)
@ Sorrow’s Furnace (VE)

Event overflow feedback

Hobbs.9260

I see a serious case of “the grass is greener on my neighbors yard” here.
What exactly makes you think in the main server things are better or easier?

Ok first off im not going to bother responding to most of your rant because it is quit obvious that you dont know anything about what your talking about, you probably just like to hear yourself talk.
Sometimes the grass really is greener on the other side of the fence, most of the time it is only a perspective issue, but sometimes it really is just fact. This is one of those situations; yes maybe it started off as a perspective issue, but once you get enough lazy/bad attitude people it becomes a fact, especially for those of us like myself that actually want to do the patch and take part. I have no problem playing in an overflow – barring that it is at least populated by somewhat half decent players that are actually willing to play and not just spam 1 and wait for the rewards – I have been plenty successful on overflows. I dont just go into an overflow and say oh kitten im in an overflow, well Im kittened. No, I try to make the best of it, if I have to rezone a couple times to get a decent overflow so be it, that is my only choice right now. Like I said before the solution is very simple…just allow us to have a drop down bar letting us choose the overflow we are on. No finger pointing or blaming being done, just an obviously simple request.

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

There’s nothing wrong with the Overflows, as long as the game make sure that any overflow will be fully populated before creating a new one. I had been on a “empty” OF, just to be moved to another OF, “emptier”.

It does. Problem is that it also distributes people at random among all possible overflows – so you might end up in an overflow that was created long ago and is currently mostly empty.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Two things.

1) Yes Grass is greener, blah blah blah. Main servers aren’t da bomb, and Overflows aren’t third world countries.

2) I would love the ability to transfer to a different Overflow that has more people on it without having to leave/log and then hope for the best. Especially when the best might be an even less populated OF than the one I was just stuck with.

Overflows aren’t bad, but because the zone doesn’t purge for any reason anymore there is next to no way to get, even an assurance of, a well populated server/OF by being quick through the gate.

It’s effectively the same event timeline without an incentive to leave and no way to gauge what you have to work with when you get there.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

Doubtful as any Anet dev that plays the game can always get into the main server so it doesn’t really affect them does it, I was stuck in OF for 7 hours yesterday, a friend guested over to my server was in the same OF and 10 mins later it popped for them to join main server, they did, and they where in the main server of my world not there own, so guests can get into main servers but people native to them worlds cannot, so I was stuck in an OF server hoping that events would get completed, ( as many others where too )

I’m sorry that I have to say this but… you can’t travel to main server where you are guesting if you are in the overflow. It is not possible. (I’m talking about travel popup message) It will always either put you in other overflow or give you a network error.

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

You realise you couldve joined your friend right?

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

I proposed the district system back in beta. So did plenty of others. Look how well suggestions work out around here.

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Party up, right click party member’s icon of the map you wish to join, hit join in blah..blah..blah.. If the map if full, the map is full.

There’s simply technical boundaries that still exists. At least overflows allow for scaling and are much more efficient at using server resources.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Finaldeath.1059

Finaldeath.1059

They should do away with servers completely except for wvw and make the main game districts like the first game. Doing so would get rid of all empty map issues and get rid of the issues with getting guilds or other big groups together in the same map. They could even make gem store tickets guilds can buy to get their own private district for a week or something like with the spvp thing.

Event overflow feedback

Hobbs.9260

They should do away with servers completely except for wvw and make the main game districts like the first game. Doing so would get rid of all empty map issues and get rid of the issues with getting guilds or other big groups together in the same map. They could even make gem store tickets guilds can buy to get their own private district for a week or something like with the spvp thing.

Ok, you do realize that overflows are the exact same thing as districts just with a different name right? All they need to change or add would be the drop down bar we used to have to switch district/overflows. Other then that it is all the same thing and same mechanics being used.

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Finaldeath.1059

Finaldeath.1059

Ok, you do realize that overflows are the exact same thing as districts just with a different name right? All they need to change or add would be the drop down bar we used to have to switch district/overflows. Other then that it is all the same thing and same mechanics being used.

Yes but overflows are server specific where as districts from gw1 are gamewide. What i want are districts like the first game, not just a dropdown for all overflows for the current server which would be fairly useless.

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

I do wish there was some way to make sure members of a party can go to the same overflow; it’s hard to do things as a guild when we get spread between several OFs. (We are small.)

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Lpfan.3578

Lpfan.3578

I agree, if you get into an overflow that does NOT work well and fails every time the major events come up it is not as fun. Being stuck in failing overflows for several hours at a time just to attempt getting into my non fail main absolutely kills living story for me, especially when guests are able to get into my main easier than I am.
I skipped the entire 2 weeks before Escape From LA started, I only logged in once or twice for the one before that even. Why? Because I was just tired of being stuck in failing overflows for hours and hours.

I was so happy with the way Escape From LA worked. Not only did I feel like most overflows had a good chance at doing well but every hour was a new chance to get into the main or into a different overflow without being pushed to the back of the line waiting for my main because everyone else was getting kicked out and had to re enter as well.

Now, Battle For LA seems to be back to the old “Sit in overflow for hours and hours if you want to get on your main” idea… but at least it’s doable for zergs, which means most overflows have a chance whether they are really organized or just zerging.

The fact is, most overflows do not work so well when organization is required which means all events in overflows almost have to be zergable or they will fail most of the time. I don’t mind trying and failing some, especially when my server/overflow actually tries and puts up a good effort. I do mind trying and failing 90%+ of the time simply because I can’t be at my computer in the overflow 24/7 waiting to go to my main. (As has been the case with quite a few Living Story parts it feels like.)

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Yes but overflows are server specific where as districts from gw1 are gamewide.

No. Overflows are cross-server within the zone (NA or EU).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

Doubtful as any Anet dev that plays the game can always get into the main server so it doesn’t really affect them does it.

Actually, when we’re playing the game, our accounts are just like everyone else’s accounts. We do not have easy access at all. I’ve played this content in numerous overflows. Many of us aren’t flagged, but we are out there playing with you.

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Doubtful as any Anet dev that plays the game can always get into the main server so it doesn’t really affect them does it.

Actually, when we’re playing the game, our accounts are just like everyone else’s accounts. We do not have easy access at all. I’ve played this content in numerous overflows. Many of us aren’t flagged, but we are out there playing with you.

You heard it here, ANets are creepers :P

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

I’m sorry that I have to say this but… you can’t travel to main server where you are guesting if you are in the overflow. It is not possible. (I’m talking about travel popup message) It will always either put you in other overflow or give you a network error.

Thats not true.

The problem happens if you’re network doesn’t load into the main map quick enough and someone else gets in first.

(I’ve had network errors, trying to travel to the main on my home server….I’ve also succeeded in getting into main map on a guested server.) I figure that box opens to multiple people and it’s a first to enter first served

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Apparently I wasn’t allowed to make yet another request for the removal of the overflow message popup, that at times makes your character run off a cliff…or makes you stuck in map view with no way to get out…and is just genereally unneeded and super annoying.

Remove the thing…please!

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Event overflow feedback

Dean Calaway.9718

Ok first off im not going to bother responding to most of your rant because it is quit obvious that you dont know anything about what your talking about, you probably just like to hear yourself talk.

I do know what I’m talking about, lets see how much you know about what you are talking about.

First some facts:
Most people like to jump on new content.
GW2 can’t have 1000’s of players per map so everyone is on main.

With that said, overflows are necessary, it’s either them or loading screens.
Now you have an above average attitude when you say you don’t mind overflows, but you quickly add, “AS LONG AS THERES HALF DECENT PLAYERS THERE”.

So, as long as you could hop, because you’re a winner and you don’t wanna be in the losing team, everything would be perfect, right? Because you could side with the winners.
So Anet should put as many working hours as it would take to implement this, a system where you can freely choose what ever overflow you like.
That way, you could be in one that would be populated with “at least half decent players” so you could win.
All you would need to do was choose a good overflow right?

Now tell me, how exactly do you gauge this? How exactly would you, practically speaking, devide players and freely choose a good overflow?
If they win? Don’t they need to win first before you actually know they’re winners? What guarantees you they’ll win it again the next time?

Not to mention, with a system like this you would no longer have, lets say, two overflows 51 players in one, 50 on another.
You’d have one with 100 and another with 1, so not only you’d have the main to full capacity, overflows would instantly get on full capacity as well, what then? Stand around looking at a drop box waiting for 1 spot to clear to get in? Because what would stop players from filling overflows to the brim effectively stopping you from getting in them anyway?
That’s without a shadow of a doubt a much better system than the current one.

And by the way, after the working hours and all the problems this new system would bring, what would happen when the events failed anyway? What would you blame then for the failed events?

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

It’s not like you can’t do anything in overflow – we beat the knights, the holograms and scarlet just fine on overflow this afternoon.

How do you gauge a good overflow? How about you try MAKING one? Explaining to your peers what to do, and how, and in what order? It’s possible, you know.

And when the popular and well informed commanders aren’t on, you don’t have a win-guarantee on main, either – even if they are there you might still fail due to stupid participants in the current round. There are no guarantees, but you can work toward giving everyone a good chance.

Polka will never die

Event overflow feedback

Dean Calaway.9718

(…)
How do you gauge a good overflow? How about you try MAKING one? Explaining to your peers what to do, and how, and in what order? It’s possible, you know.

And when the popular and well informed commanders aren’t on, you don’t have a win-guarantee on main, either – even if they are there you might still fail due to stupid participants in the current round. There are no guarantees, but you can work toward giving everyone a good chance.

Making your own overflow/instance is a boter dream.
Public ones that anyone can join you say, so you don’t have people hidding? Well that’s just like a normal overflow isn’kitten
How do you screen the “stupid” people out so “everyone has a chance”? Put a little description “1337 only”? Lock it in some way with pre meaningless requisites like AP?
What’s stopping people from creating piles of overflows because everyone else’s “stupid”?

And after all that, how would it give the people there a better chance exactly? What’s to say people would actually listen? Or even survive the fight while genuinely trying?

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

uh huh, so since this update went live, have you been in your main server at all??? As ive been stuck in OF all day everyday, and ive never seen the pop up to move to the main server yet, and as many others are saying the same thing, its just way to easy to AFK into a main server and sit there all day doing nothing, or just rolling the events, and I have no doubt at all that if you where stuck in an OF server that was failing time and time again, you could easily move to another server/main.

As for the question about what makes you think OF’s are worse than main servers, simple, friends in the same guild who are in the main server, are succeeding the event to get into scarlet, OF ive been stuck on beat all 3 knights 1 time, and BOOM the event was bugged so we couldn’t continue.

Event overflow feedback

Dean Calaway.9718

uh huh, so since this update went live, have you been in your main server at all??? As ive been stuck in OF all day everyday, and ive never seen the pop up to move to the main server yet, and as many others are saying the same thing, its just way to easy to AFK into a main server and sit there all day doing nothing, or just rolling the events, and I have no doubt at all that if you where stuck in an OF server that was failing time and time again, you could easily move to another server/main.(…)

Theres a simple solution for this, before anything autorun against a wall shouldn’t prevent a kick by inactivity.

Then, more aggressive time windows on full main servers that stack, you get a warning after 10 minutes of inactivity, even if you resume activity the next one will come after 5, and then 2.
Annoying? If you’re playing you won’t see any of these, if you are afk so much there’s a line of people very willing to play.

Lastly, hot maps (like LA right now) should have a presence cool down, say 4 hours, after that your priority to get in the main server would be less than someone who hasn’t been there at all.

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Colly.4073

Colly.4073

I hope Anet is going to release some different content other than Zerg This, Zerg That Rinse and repeat because it’s getting really boring.

Event overflow feedback

Hobbs.9260

I do know what I’m talking about, lets see how much you know about what you are talking about.

First some facts:
Most people like to jump on new content.
GW2 can’t have 1000’s of players per map so everyone is on main.

With that said, overflows are necessary, it’s either them or loading screens.
Now you have an above average attitude when you say you don’t mind overflows, but you quickly add, “AS LONG AS THERES HALF DECENT PLAYERS THERE”.

So, as long as you could hop, because you’re a winner and you don’t wanna be in the losing team, everything would be perfect, right? Because you could side with the winners.
So Anet should put as many working hours as it would take to implement this, a system where you can freely choose what ever overflow you like.
That way, you could be in one that would be populated with “at least half decent players” so you could win.
All you would need to do was choose a good overflow right?

Now tell me, how exactly do you gauge this? How exactly would you, practically speaking, devide players and freely choose a good overflow?
If they win? Don’t they need to win first before you actually know they’re winners? What guarantees you they’ll win it again the next time?

Not to mention, with a system like this you would no longer have, lets say, two overflows 51 players in one, 50 on another.
You’d have one with 100 and another with 1, so not only you’d have the main to full capacity, overflows would instantly get on full capacity as well, what then? Stand around looking at a drop box waiting for 1 spot to clear to get in? Because what would stop players from filling overflows to the brim effectively stopping you from getting in them anyway?
That’s without a shadow of a doubt a much better system than the current one.

And by the way, after the working hours and all the problems this new system would bring, what would happen when the events failed anyway? What would you blame then for the failed events?

Yet another long rant only proving again that you dont know what you are talking about and this time that you didnt even read what I wrote. Only enough of it to continue ranting even more.
Also you seen to be pretty close minded in that the only three options you ever seem to state are either the current system, a sever with 1000’s of people or a load screen. Not one statement was ever made about wanting a map with 1000’s of players. I mean come one that is just ridiculous and unrealistic. No one in their right minds would suggest that as a serious option. Yes you are right overflows are completely necessary, and yes also it is either them or loading screens; but this is where you prove that you dont know what you are talking about and didnt even read, because I never once debated this fact or even brought it up as an issue or some kind of option.
I completely support overflow and prefer it much more to a loading screen, I also dont even care if I ever make it into an main there is nothing wrong with overflows. The players can be just as fun and organized there as in any other. Because of this it also means that main servers can be complete crap when an overflow is better. Here is an idea maybe I would even want to move willingly from a main to a different overflow of my choice. Again this would go back to my suggestion being that I think the only thing needed in this current system is the ability to choose my overflow.
To be honest Im not the type to care about winning or losing, I actually find that frame of thought a very poor way of going through life. How about something called just having fun, and there is nothing fun about being stuck on an overflow for hours that is full of lousy people that dont even put in half of an effort past afking and spamming one.
Also you mentioned that a simple add in to the system would cause so many problems and then who would I have to blame for failed events then? Well first off I never once had any complaint about any failed event – so good job there again showing how you dont know what you are talking about and how you dont read – I will be one of the first people on map chat after a fail saying good try people try again next time. Second, A simple choice of choosing overflows would hardly create minor problems much less major ones. Well unless you consider people like yourself with a very limited frame of thought having trouble adjusting to something so basic as major.

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Rentapest.6503

Rentapest.6503

This is a thread for people to register their dis-satisfaction and general unhappiness with how the overflow afa “failflow” is currently ruining the LA event!

I have not yet once been able to kill Scarlet OR the Hologram for the (unobtainable) achievements because of always being in a crap failflow group that cannot manage more than one knight.

Also, the 6 minute knight achievement is unobtainable and should be removed or changed for simply being able to kill all 3.

If you have completed these events, don’t come post here “I have xx achi, it was easy” etc. This is a chance for people to register enough complaints about how the event needs to be nerfed so failflow can complete it.

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Do you need an explanation as to why Overflows exist?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“I also dont even care if I ever make it into an main there is nothing wrong with overflows. The players can be just as fun and organized there as in any other.”

If this statement was true then there wouldn’t be a problem. Unfortunately it isn’t. In an overflow you can be short of people to complete an event, however hard people try to organize. Meanwhile your home server is guaranteed to be full and capable of completing everything. You then get language problems on Euro servers. And so on.

Overflows are now a serious design issue. They are a game mechanic, nothing else than a game mechanic, that can immediately make players fail events. These are not quick events but once per hour major events that might be temporary over a fortnight. There’s no reason for players to defend the overflow mechanic when it is an obstruction to game play.

Event overflow feedback

Rentapest.6503

No, I just need the bosses in overflow servers/venues to be nerfed so people can actually kill them.

The event is impossible because failure after failure. It’s a complete and utter waste of time being in an overflow group, and why should we spend hours getting a knight to 50% only to have it fail? Especially when every other player on the server has the achievements and back upgrades already and I’m here without a single backpiece upgrade item and require 10! It’s frustrating to say the least.

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

And before you say, “do it like GW1 and districts!”

…that doesn’t solve the problem. That’s another name for ‘overflow’

Event overflow feedback

Smooth Penguin.5294

No, I just need the bosses in overflow servers/venues to be nerfed so people can actually kill them.

The event is impossible because failure after failure. It’s a complete and utter waste of time being in an overflow group, and why should we spend hours getting a knight to 50% only to have it fail? Especially when every other player on the server has the achievements and back upgrades already and I’m here without a single backpiece upgrade item and require 10! It’s frustrating to say the least.

Sounds like you’re complaining more about the lack of skill of the players you’re with. Anet shouldn’t be making an “Easy Mode” just because you’re unable to do content. That wouldn’t be fair to those who have to work hard to get the same achievements you’re after.

I would recommend that if you hate failing so much, buy a Commander Tag, and try to lead people to victory. If they don’t listen, you can at least say you tried.

Event overflow feedback

Hobbs.9260

Yes this statement is true, I have been on overflows that have done better then some mains. A main is in no way guaranteed to be full or capable, or well full or even half full of capable players. Like I said and so have many others, that we have seen main servers fail when overflows win. In no way is the overflow system flawed – or not majorly anyways – it is not the overflow that creates the fail it is players that think if they arent in a main they arent in anything good and there for will not try or just go afk, and then when it does fail they seem to think that only further proves overflows are crap. I personally in say marionette when there were no commanders or insufficient amounts would actively try and organize the maps and instruct individual lanes on what will be needed and when. Even then I had no problem with a fail unless all the effort i put in was lost because people wouldnt organize. If the map proved to try to do what was needed I would be fine.

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

Ok cool. So you know first hand how your LS world event mechanic and instancing are not compatible with a pleasant gaming experience. Overflow Instancing means there is no way to control the members in your “world” and the complexity of the events requires coordination and at least a certain amount of players with skill, gear, and understanding of the underlying mechanic. While I ran the marrionette thing about 30 times with only 2 completions, I really don’t see myself running the Holo thing much at all. Probably just kill the three knights and then do something else. Group roulette is simply lame and the loot isn’t worth the 15:1 loses. Spoon

Event overflow feedback

Smooth Penguin.5294

Ok cool. So you know first hand how your LS world event mechanic and instancing are not compatible with a pleasant gaming experience. Overflow Instancing means there is no way to control the members in your “world” and the complexity of the events requires coordination and at least a certain amount of players with skill, gear, and understanding of the underlying mechanic. While I ran the marrionette thing about 30 times with only 2 completions, I really don’t see myself running the Holo thing much at all. Probably just kill the three knights and then do something else. Group roulette is simply lame and the loot isn’t worth the 15:1 loses. Spoon

If you feel it’s not worth doing, then do something else. Tyria has much more content than just Lion’s Arch. Go do some Jumping Puzzles. Try a Dungeon. Test your skills in FotM. Help your server in WvW.

That said, I find doing this event with 50+ of your guildies to be fun and pleasant experience. The loot is awesome too! Core prices are still pretty overpriced, so we’re making good money selling them on the TP.

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

My thoughts on overflows:

1.) Make it a guild upgrade consumable (like bounty or puzzle), but it would be awesome if guild officers could “generate” private instances for large scale content like this (Teq, Wurm, etc… immediately spring to mind). The high influence and merit costs would prevent people from abusing it and help ensure guilds could fight together when/if they wanted to.

2.) Overflows need to consolidate more often. I know some folks who don’t even realize they are in an overflow with only about a dozen people post-event when there is an exodus to merchants and the TP.

Sort of, but not completely related… the LS is making a somewhat, welcomed IMHO, paradigm shift away from “stack and spank” to thoughtful or strategic boss fights. The problem is that levels 1-80 and the PS do not encourage that sort of thought. So, when people are suddenly thrust into encounters that are completely divergent from the rest of the game’s content when they can spam the 1 key, it causes anger and frustration to them and to those trying to convey strategy. Worse, many folks turn off map chat because they are “tired of being lectured at” or “tired of no one listening”.

My two copper anyway.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

Event overflow feedback

Rentapest.6503

Just did another failed knight event in overflow…

Managed to kill 2/3 knights, got the 3rd to about 25% then the time ran out.

These bosses need to be nerfed! Seriously! Overflow players cannot complete the event because of this.

Event overflow feedback

Smooth Penguin.5294

Just did another failed knight event in overflow…

Managed to kill 2/3 knights, got the 3rd to about 25% then the time ran out.

These bosses need to be nerfed! Seriously! Overflow players cannot complete the event because of this.

Pro tip – The Knights scale up the more people are there. Try getting people to split into smaller groups to take them all down, if zerging makes the event too hard.

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

Pro tip – The Knights scale up the more people are there. Try getting people to split into smaller groups to take them all down, if zerging makes the event too hard.

Pro tip #2 we had no problem taking down the knights in a large zerg sequentially one time, and then it failed another time, and then it worked another time. So strange that people’s experience varies significantly in these events no matter how simple some folks seem to suggest they are…

Useful tip – make sure people get the color buff while fighting the knights, there are a lot of people who don’t realize it boosts damage, or may think standing in the color circles might be damage or debuff. Make sure to post in map chat or say chat for people to pick up the color buff.

The nice thing is that in a zerg you are going to get at least one knight, probably 2 which gets you champ chests and a chance at the powercell things. Of course, if you don’t get all 3 down in time and if you’ve done most of your achievements in LA then you’ll need take one of penguin’s other useful suggestions like go jump… YMMV. Spoon

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I was in an overflow for around 3 hours. I eventually logged off then back in to get a new overflow because it felt like the overflow was barely full the entire time I was there. I figured it might have been one of the last overflows created. I logged back in to find myself on the main server and was able to stay on main the rest of the night, even when switching maps.

I think there’s a problem with overflows. They need to add a visible queue, in the same way they did for WvW.

As long as the overflow is full however, there should be no problem completing this event.

Event overflow feedback

Smooth Penguin.5294

I was in an overflow for around 3 hours. I eventually logged off then back in to get a new overflow because it felt like the overflow was barely full the entire time I was there. I figured it might have been one of the last overflows created. I logged back in to find myself on the main server and was able to stay on main the rest of the night, even when switching maps.

I think there’s a problem with overflows. They need to add a visible queue, in the same way they did for WvW.

As long as the overflow is full however, there should be no problem completing this event.

If you’re a tier 1 server player, you might see your queue number like #600 in line for this event. That would be really depressing.

Event overflow feedback

Rentapest.6503

Another 2x failed knight attmempts in the past hour. sigh

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

If you’re a tier 1 server player, you might see your queue number like #600 in line for this event. That would be really depressing.

Not as depressing as: Your queue is ready. Error.

For these zerg styled events, they really need to change how overflows work, or actually scale it down to 10 people. Having a bunch of half filled overflows just isn’t going to work. The soft caps need to be removed so that new ones aren’t created until they’re actually needed. A list of available overflows with their population (low, medium, high, full excluded) would be nice, but at the very least, overflows (for these events) need to merge in some way.

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

As long as there’s plenty of people doing it in overflow shouldn’t be much of an issue. First time I did it was in overflow and it didn’t fail once.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Event overflow feedback

Rentapest.6503

As long as there’s plenty of people doing it in overflow shouldn’t be much of an issue. First time I did it was in overflow and it didn’t fail once.

Still stuck in overflows, still unable to kill the knights.

[EDIT] Just tried guesting on another server, same story.

This event is a complete and utter joke! Three days now and unable to even get the achievements for killing Scarlet and the Hologram (simple achievements) because of being forced into overflows and groups that cannot even kill one knight, let alone three!

Proposed Fix:
Nerf the bosses in overflows. Simple.

(edited by Rentapest.6503)

Event overflow feedback

Posted by: Clear.8512

Clear.8512

4 Hologram kills
4 overflows.
Meta achievement completed. Overflow is fine, we had knights down with a few minutes to spare.