Gift of blades a bad joke?

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The Tailor version of gift of blades uses 15 bolts of damask… while the leatherworker version uses 15 elonian leather squares….

I mean seriously? How did that make it past QA? One of those things costs a total of 15g while the other costs 300g….

Posted by: Fantastic.5298

Fantastic.5298

lol if that’s true, that sucks. Just craft it on a leatherworker

Posted by: izze.3284

izze.3284

well i tried the armorsmith one and surprise that uses deldrimor ingots

tbh i think is should be overthought and the recipe should contain always the same ingredients…

[SWAG]Izze
Frostfang, Howler, 2x Sunrise, Predator, Kamohoali’ Kotaki

Posted by: Questionable.4631

Questionable.4631

So anyone know about how much it costs to get leather working up to 500 lol. the cost difference between making it on the different professions is fairly large

I’d at least hope it’s changed so as a tailor you can make it with either 15 elonian leather or 15 bolts of damask. same for the other profession, make it using either of the two ascended crafting materials they can make.

(edited by Questionable.4631)

Posted by: Dehuang.2053

Dehuang.2053

I already have a bad luck of having a squishy ele as a main that now, because tailor is my only leveled crafting station, i get hit by Anet even HARDER because i have to pay 5000% more of what a heavy class would pay, for the same result.
First, Light ascended armor took 50% more gold to craft than heavy, now 5000% more costly for a back piece?? The opposite would actually make sense, a heavy could pay more to get this, because they have more base damage, health and everything.. but for light armor? I don’t understand.

izze.3284

just confirmed it – bought another one for my leatherworker and tada: 15 elonian leather or 15 deldrimore ingots!

even though the price diffrence is not that huge between deldrimor and elonian wine – the one to damask is huge and its wrong to make the same recipe output with 3 diffrent versions.

update with screenshots

Attachments:

[SWAG]Izze

(edited by izze.3284)

Posted by: Shirogatsu.3150

Shirogatsu.3150

Not cool :| /15 quaggans

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Wait what. Seriously. Tailoring is nasty enough as it is. This is not cool, they really need to consider changing that.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Gosh fracking darn it to all the hecks. (Lessee if that eludes felinization). My only 500 is my tailor. I’m nowhere near that on LW because the only Ascended I wanted to make were some Light pieces. I did that, and the Wings … but then I stopped making damask.

I sure hope they alter that soon.

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

Wow, glad I picked up the Tailoring one… thats some bullkitten right there.

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

Make sure to check your medium armor privilege next time you log in.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

Would be cheaper to flat out level leatherworking from 1-500 than it would be to buy 15 damask. Making damask cost so much silk and other mats was just dumb.

Also cant wait for people to come in and say “its your fault for not watching the market and buying 20000 silk beforehand when it was cheap, the economy is fine noobs”

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

Oh, man. I’ve been sitting a ton of elonian leather squares that i didn’t sell before the bottom fell out on the market. Time to make my money back.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

It’s still better to use Leatherworking but, Bolts of Damask should come down in price. Have you noticed the volume of clothes that are within the bags? After all the complaints over the scarcity of cloth in game, I think it finally sunk in

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Why would the amount of the ingredients be different? There are other recipes in the game that require “X” lodestones. Some lodestones are worth more than others.

Posted by: dbgfeller.8120

dbgfeller.8120

Guys, just buy the leather and make it with your leatherworker. 400-500 is about 60 Gold, so it is still cheaper.

Where is your problem?

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Mwahahahah leatherworking for the win!

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: lazarus.1639

lazarus.1639

Tailor here. Tired of kittening wasting money.

izze.3284

Why would the amount of the ingredients be different? There are other recipes in the game that require “X” lodestones. Some lodestones are worth more than others.

sure there are recipes with lodestones, BUT the big diffrence is that those recipes craft diffrent items this recipe produces always the same item – the gift of blades – and haveing a price diffrence even by only 10g is a huge no go to craft the same item.

[SWAG]Izze

Posted by: blurps.2340

blurps.2340

It’s still better to use Leatherworking but, Bolts of Damask should come down in price. Have you noticed the volume of clothes that are within the bags? After all the complaints over the scarcity of cloth in game, I think it finally sunk in

So far I got about the same rate of cloth drops as farming dungeons and temples. Meaning it would still take about 6-8 hours of straight farming to fill the quota for the daily bolt of damask.

Posted by: Doodakoff.5246

Doodakoff.5246

This has to be a mistake surely!

I don’t really want to max out leatherworking after spending so much time and effort getting my armorsmith to 500!

Please can a Dev let us know if it is meant to be this way?

Posted by: zxosz.4097

zxosz.4097

this needs to be addressed asap

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Why exactly is this a problem? You think Anet is going to constantly adjust the mats required due to current prices?

Let’s say Damask becomes cheap and Elonian becomes the most expensive in the game.

You think Anet would reverse the recipes then? When should they be reversed? By how much? It opens a pandora’s box.

Just suck it up and be efficient. Use Elonian Square if you are so paranoid about gold.

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

Why exactly is this a problem? You think Anet is going to constantly adjust the mats required due to current prices?

Let’s say Damask becomes cheap and Elonian becomes the most expensive in the game.

You think Anet would reverse the recipes then? When should they be reversed? By how much? It opens a pandora’s box.

Just suck it up and be efficient. Use Elonian Square if you are so paranoid about gold.

Was going to post the same exact thing. Perfectly worded, crazy to think people want recipe requirements to be based off from current market prices.

ZudetGambeous.9573

Why not? They consistently do it the other way around.

When mats become too low in value they change the recipes and make them more expensive and nerf the drop rates. So why exactly should they only adjust it one way and not the other?

Of course they should adjust it, one profession shouldn’t have easy access to an item that another profession can not hope to possibly obtain when it is meant to be a limited time LS item.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Well players make the market prices and it seems Silk is dropping like crazy from event. Maybe they’re attempting to normalize the price a bit? .-.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Feliponious.3521

Feliponious.3521

Are you people seriously suggesting Anet, when deciding how to balance things, should look at the trading post, pick some arbitrary amount of gold they think you should spend, and then balance the material requirements accordingly?

Guys, you can craft each of the items yourselves. They don’t balance for the market, the market balances for the patch. I have a feeling none of you have any concept of supply and demand. Make your own elonian leather squares! It will only take 15 days and if I’m right about this you’ll watch the cost of elonian squares go down as people find profit in producing them.

Either way, this isn’t Anet’s fault that the price is that high. I think you guys are so used to controlled economies that you don’t know how real economies work.

Posted by: Feliponious.3521

Feliponious.3521

Why not? They consistently do it the other way around.

When mats become too low in value they change the recipes and make them more expensive and nerf the drop rates. So why exactly should they only adjust it one way and not the other?

Of course they should adjust it, one profession shouldn’t have easy access to an item that another profession can not hope to possibly obtain when it is meant to be a limited time LS item.

First off they only do that when the supply and demand are convoluted; when an item that was not intended to be rare is rare. If they have done otherwise then they are meddling and have opened the can of worms for people to whine about the price of items on the trading post, which is ridiculous. Please, stick with screwing up the real world economy with your “it’s not fair” mantra. Leave it out of the video games.

Also! This item is not limited to the living story. None of the craftable items from any of the living stories are limited to that story instance. You simply hold the required materials and wait until it’s available for crafting. You don’t have to craft it in that two week window.

(edited by Feliponious.3521)

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

They shouldn’t do it because of the prices. They should adjust the recipe to be in line with ALL the other ascended mat recipes.

Mithrillium only needs 100 mithril.
Elder Spirit only needs 150 elder wood.
Elonian Cord only needs 150 thick leather.
Yet, Silken Thread needs 300 silk…

It doesn’t help matters at all, since silk is needed for armorsmithing and leatherworking to get it to 400 as well.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I’m really not following how this is ANet’s fault, nor problem. ANet doesn’t control the market, we do. If Tailoring is so expensive that’s not ANet’s fault it’s ours. That’s what supply and demand means. Obviously the demand for cloth is high, therefore it’s expensive.

Besides that, complaining about it like this isn’t going to do anything good. They’re more likely to increase the required mats in leatherworking to increase the price than they are to lower tailoring.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

Leather needed its value revitalized since forever. This backpiece is a step in the right direction to get markets out of the gutter.

Posted by: draconx.3102

draconx.3102

Don’t you get to choose which profession you want when you buy the recipe?

Obviously the tailor recipe is not a very good choice given current market value of materials, so pick one of the other two.

Posted by: blurps.2340

blurps.2340

I’m really not following how this is ANet’s fault, nor problem. ANet doesn’t control the market, we do. If Tailoring is so expensive that’s not ANet’s fault it’s ours. That’s what supply and demand means. Obviously the demand for cloth is high, therefore it’s expensive.

And why exactly is there more demand ?

1. Bolts of Damask are used in all types of armour, whereas metal and leather are only required for heavy and medium armour respectively. Both heavy and medium armour sets actually use up more Bolts of Damask than Deldrimor Steel Ingots and the leather squares.

2. Crafting a Bolt of Damask takes substantially more primary raw materials ( i.e. silk scraps ) than the corresponding items of the other crafts.

Last I checked ANet designed the recipes. Unless that changed very recently, it is indeed their fault and their fault alone for fiddling with demand both on the raw material level and on the intermediate product level.

izze.3284

i think you dont get my point here – i dont want anet to change the amount of materials that are required to craft this. I want the recipe to require the same materials via all the crafting.

Heck let us put in an Augur Stone and 5 of Deldrimor,Damask,Elonian leather in the mystic forge to craft the gift of blades – so everyone has to pay the same price instead of discovering that you can save money by choosing the correct armor type…

[SWAG]Izze

Posted by: Savoy.6824

Savoy.6824

Have any of you knee jerkers checked the prices lately? Silk plummeted last night and so did linen. And since the Dulfy posted the cheapest way to craft it was to use leather the price of the leather mats sky rocketed. Were all on the same playing field now YAAAAAAYYYYYYYY

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once – Nietzsche

ZudetGambeous.9573

Besides that, complaining about it like this isn’t going to do anything good. They’re more likely to increase the required mats in leatherworking to increase the price than they are to lower tailoring.

you’re right, I forgot that I programmed the game to:

1. Make silk bolts take 3 silk instead of 2
2. Made damask take 100 bolts of silk instead of 50 like all the other items
3. Made damask used in all 3 armor sets instead of just 1 like elonian and steel

we the players are so foolish for programming those things that made silk so expensive. That will learn us to do that again.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

ANet is trolling all tailors. They are laughing sooo hard right now in their office, that Scarlet got scared a bit.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

They really should make it Leather no matter the profession. We need some uses for leather.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

They really should make it Leather no matter the profession. We need some uses for leather.

Expect leather it to be used to make the precursor/legendary crafting books.

I hope..

Posted by: Fantastic.5298

Fantastic.5298

The problem at hand is that cloth is used in all the armor crafting professions, followed by ore which is used in all the weapon professions and armor smithing and then leather is used primarily in leatherworking. Arena clearly made the demand for cloth higher, which wouldn’t make sense from a game players perspective

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

Lol calm down they are working on a fix to bring crafting materials up to par from their mistake of having easy to get dungeon armor versus crafting..

Of course it’ll be cheaper when thousands of leather squares at 1 copper above merchant. Or is this Huss and fuss more about all the times you merchant leather rather then to put it on the tp?

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

So far I got about the same rate of cloth drops as farming dungeons and temples. Meaning it would still take about 6-8 hours of straight farming to fill the quota for the daily bolt of damask.

But… how many players run dungeons compared to how many are running LA? They’ll more than likely be a huge surge in cloth in game if people keep running this.

How anyone could even consider questioning Anet’s role in the market astounds me. They severely influence both supply and demand in game. And yes, they constantly are adjusting the market every few months to keep us chasing it. Just like they adjust meta builds to keep us switching them up. It’s to keep the game interesting, sort of

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

Bolt of Damask is 100 silk bolts, Elonian leather square is 50 cured thick leather squares. Thats where the problem is.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

Posted by: iKuroNekoXIII.3249

iKuroNekoXIII.3249

Well my only profession that is maxed out is tailor… hope silk prices falls by a lot LOL.

Words are the strongest weapon. Choose them wisely.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I’ve maxed Tailor, Leatherworking and Armoursmithing. I could choose which Gift to buy, but I have another concern above what’s involved to craft it. If I’m making this back piece for a light-armoured character, do I need to buy the Tailor version, or will any of these do?

I’ve never seen a backpiece be dependent upon the armour the player is designed to wear; a backpiece has always been just that.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

I’ve maxed Tailor, Leatherworking and Armoursmithing. I could choose which Gift to buy, but I have another concern above what’s involved to craft it. If I’m making this back piece for a light-armoured character, do I need to buy the Tailor version, or will any of these do?

I’ve never seen a backpiece be dependent upon the armour the player is designed to wear; a backpiece has always been just that.

This is a valid question I think. It’s something I was curious about as well.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I have everything maxed at 500, plus my main is a Thief, so the Medium Leatherworker requirements are a blessing.

Sorry to those who didn’t invest in Silk early.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Back pieces are universal, they don’t have armor type requirements. The idea was obviously just to make it as accessible as possible to crafters.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Back pieces are universal, they don’t have armor type requirements. The idea was obviously just to make it as accessible as possible to crafters.

Oh, well if that’s the case, I feel bad for those who didn’t take the time to level all their Crafting to 500. But at least now that some mat prices are falling, it’s a good time to start.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Oh, well if that’s the case, I feel bad for those who didn’t take the time to level all their Crafting to 500. But at least now that some mat prices are falling, it’s a good time to start.

Besides weapon ones, I’m looking at using a crafting guide to get everything up to 400 at least. Tailoring I may take to 500 purely to get an ascended armor for fractal runs.

Actually, may level weapon ones as well, just cooking is the one I don’t care for.

(edited by Kalavier.1097)