Go Zerg or go home!

Go Zerg or go home!

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Unknownhero.6745

Unknownhero.6745

So this is just my humble opinion and its based on 2 1/2 days of doing this new event.
To me it appears this entire event was designed to be a 3 pronged attack. Marionette was a good example of dividing our forces is possible. I have been doing the events since they started and have seen many successes and many fails. I will admit yes, running a big zerg does get the job done.
However, I did one run in a quiet overflow, and without much effort or co-ordination we split the 3 assault knights using maybe ( I estimate) 25-30 people on each. Without much planning we burned down all 3 in less that 8 mins, leading me to believe 6 mins is very possible. However when I tried to explain my experience in map chat, I was immediately jumped on by numerous players, and called several kitten names for trying to resist or influence the zerg.
Th e hologram fight is another example. I did a fight last night, with the unusual pleasure of having a group willing to work together. We killed the colors at the same time using small groups. As a result we skipped all the extra adds, and finished the battle with plenty of time left on the clock. This morning I tried to explain this tactic in chat, and was once again pounced upon by a quite a few players, and one commander in particular who was enthusiastically shouting commands in CAPS. The zerg followed his lead, we lost numerous players to the adds, chaos ensued and we ended up just barely squeaking out a win with less than 30 secs left. Needless to say, that commander was quick to point out how right he was, and how wrong I was :/
So, am I crazy for thinking there just might be another way? Is there anyone out there that might also have a different way of thinking? Is “zerg” all we know? What do we do later for future events that also require thinking outside the box? Im guessing there may be a few who agree zerg is not the only way, but Im expecting (like I did in map chat) a barrage of comments telling me what a fool I am.

(edited by Unknownhero.6745)

Go Zerg or go home!

Posted by: XanBie.3675

XanBie.3675

Your not wrong. The issue lies with the rewards (functioning rewards that is) There should be much more incentive to get the 6 min thing done then there is atm. Its either you get some luck and greens vs 10 extra Deluxe Gearboxes.They should ramp the completion reward to make this less Zerg-dependant

Go Zerg or go home!

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

nobody cares about getting the 6 min,

Seen others suggest. Even one tried to suggest an inbetween option.

(Split for two and then everybody goes for the last knight…which should finish them off on time. The idea was totally ignored)

Go Zerg or go home!

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Probably, but there is too little time in overflows, and no tools to organize with , so people just go with the guaranteed method, if people try to organize and even split, and they get too many or too little at one location, they will fail, and will have wasted an hour of their time.

“no tools to organize with” = (no easy way to tell, how many people are at each knight, and what not)

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Go Zerg or go home!

Posted by: Abellus.2615

Abellus.2615

You’ll learn as you do these events; never, ever suggest anything that is counter-zerg. They have a mob mentality and will assume that the mere thought that the zerg is not ideal for once means you are attacking their way of life. If you were in person, they would probably punch you, almost like watching the superbowl and accidentally sneezing something that could be misinterpreted as a cheer for the other team.

There are many great solutions to the zerg problem; ANet refuses them. ANet releases these events designed around not-zerging, but adds no mechanics to prevent it, and then tells us that not-zerging and getting the full reward is ‘optional’. Which is just more frustrating to the coordinated, serious players who have no ‘option’ to abandon the zergers in their own flow and have another instance for the people who plan on playing instead of spamming 1.

For an interesting point of view, check out the CoC’s definition of griefing, Wikipedia’s definition of grieifing, and then consider what happens when a zerg runs past a small group event and chooses not to do it. That’s right, they’re knowingly and willingly griefing every player trying to do the event, and having fun doing it. ANet approves of this form of griefing, as does the majority player base. It’s just the game we play right now.

Go Zerg or go home!

Unknownhero.6745

(Split for two and then everybody goes for the last knight…which should finish them off on time. The idea was totally ignored)

The topic was not entirely about this event , or the one simple objective of 6 mins, it was about principal, and tactics..and possibly future objectives…

Go Zerg or go home!

Unknownhero.6745

“To encourage players to split up, the boon from the associated Attunement Pool will now be required in order to damage each Assault Knight, and only 50 players can have the attunement for each color simultaneously”. ..interesting patch
Wish I had a gold piece for everyone that called me a name when I tried to encourage it :P

Go Zerg or go home!

Posted by: FANY.6524

FANY.6524

Some servers can’t do this, though. If you had 25-30 per knight it means that you had 75-90 people there with you. My server doesn’t have that often – I don’t even think we have an overflow tonight. We just lost the last fight.

Not all servers have the man power. That’s it.

Ashe Walker
Prescribed [Rx]

Go Zerg or go home!

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

We’ve tried that numerous times, it ends with 2 of the knights dying but the last one failing to die due to lack of DPS.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald