Report AFK people under "botting"?

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: linearlight.8962

linearlight.8962

Q:

Question: i want to report afkers during the Scarlet hologram fight, which category should I put this under; and can I attach screen shots?

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

Why would going afk be categorized as botting? What if someone just so happened to pass out for staying up for long hours at a time and just suddenly crashed, leaving their game up.

Or they could possibly be experiencing technical problems/frozen game/lag etc.

And I hope you’re aware people with children do play this game as well, and life happens.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

There are no rules against afking.

Posted by: jblade.6470

jblade.6470

While it can make things more difficult for other players, the other replies are right in saying there is nothing saying that players can’t AFK wherever and whenever they want. Anet usually puts in a short AFK timer to kick players when it really matters like in PvP for example.

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

Well, botting is a serious accusation that – as far as I know – results in a perma ban for the one being reported for it (hopefully after proof has been found)… AFKing is not anywhere near botting when it comes to severity so “botting” doesn’t seem to be the right choice here. I don’t understand why they still didn’t add a category like “other” to the list though…

But maybe it’s because they don’t want to know about all those other things people are trying to report anyway? I for my part would not want to be informed about anyone afking, no matter where he/she did that.

Reason: How do you tell apart leechers from those needing to take an important call or prevent their children from eating something poisonous or touching the stove with their hands (just some examples, but going to the toilet during a nearly one hour event should also not be bannable, don’t you think)?

I for my part always ignore the AFKers, but I guess – judging by your staterment – that’s no option for you…?

EDIT: However, as others already mentioned, there are no rules against afking… So I highly doubt that, even if you report them, there will be consequences for them.

(edited by Rayti.6531)

Posted by: Abaia.1365

Abaia.1365

Actually, that’s an interesting question since we’ve been told by Anet to report AFKers in this instance.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/escape/Report-AFK-people/3721305

Posted by: Inelastic.1430

Inelastic.1430

I’ve seen people go afk during the fight next to the door to enter the final area. During the second hologram fight part, pick the blue one to fight and stand next to the afkers (or “behind the hologram”). Eventually it’ll pick that direction to blast, and two blasts will kill the afkers.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The people going AFK during the fight are probably those wanting the achievements. It’s easier to get them if you simply don’t participate. Unless the people you’re reporting are AFKing every single time, there’s really no point in reporting them. ArenaNet is only going to investigate them if they get multiple reports and even then, they’ll have to catch the player “botting” in real time, which isn’t going to happen. Simply put, you’re only wasting your time if you bother to report them.

AFKing by itself is not against the rules. AFKing and getting rewarded however could be considered griefing as well as exploiting (the contribution system).

Rayti.6531

Actually, that’s an interesting question since we’ve been told by Anet to report AFKers in this instance.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/escape/Report-AFK-people/3721305

Actually what you have been told is:
“If you see something in-game which you feel violates our Code of Conduct, please report these instances in-game so Customer Support can review.” (CC Danicia, 05.03.2014)

The problem is, it does not violate the Code/Rules of Conduct to go afk… At least not directly. I didn’t find anything about it – maybe you can hint me at it?

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-rules-of-conduct/

What I did find was something about “inappropriate behavior” (see 21.). shrugs
Much more interesting in 21. is, that it can have consequences for YOU to submit false reports.

So… does it count as false report to state someone is “botting” (due to lack of category options) when what he/she actually is doing is “being AFK”…? I wouldn’t take the risk just because someone is AFK. Not to mention the difficulty to prove that the AFKer is deliberately manipulating the event and not just answering the call of nature.

The only point in the Rules of Conduct actually mentioning AFKing/actively participating is 22. – about PvP match manipulation

(edited by Rayti.6531)

Posted by: Abaia.1365

Abaia.1365

“If you see something in-game which you feel violates our Code of Conduct, please report these instances in-game so Customer Support can review.” (CC Danicia, 05.03.2014)

Which was in response to the question: “Since there are more and more people abusing this, I want to ask before I get myself in trouble for “abusing” the report system: Is this a reportable offence?”

Whether or not it violates the CoC isn’t the question here. The question is merely one of procedure.

Posted by: Antaris.5281

Antaris.5281

So here are the 4 reasons that people wanted to hide in the corner:

1. Emergency from real life and need a safe spot.
2. Need a fail-safe attempt on achievement.
3. Leeching.
4. Griefing.

For the first one, unlike the previous LS, I don’t see why people can’t get out of the breachmaker, take care of the business, then pop back in since the 3 attunements stays there for a period of time. Or better yet, wait for the next attempt if your life truly demands your full attention.

To fix the leeching problem though, other than devs personally go there and swing the ban-hammer, look at players screenshot reports one by one, a patch that makes hologram’s attack cover the player’s hiding spot would help. In the last LS, people hides in all kinds of place in the city so it’s difficult to track all the leechers, but breachmaker is a small arena, should be easy.

Only if ANet release a booster to increase server player’s overall morality.

Posted by: Neoheart.2750

Neoheart.2750

Shorter timers.

Your dealing with saving the world in real life? fine, not a problem. Yes, you have been logged out for inactivity and taking up a server slot…not because life is unfair but because you were INACTIVE.

If you went “afk” at work all the time would you then expect to return as you see fit and be showered with gifts from your peers?

INB4 “it’s a game not a job”…yes i understand that but two words go hand in hand with each other on this subject. game and play. play the game.

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Some people hide in the corner to get the achievement

Posted by: ToT.7018

ToT.7018

The odd person stands there to get the achievement. Its no big deal at all.
Move on nothing to see here.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I’m not AFK, I’m hiding in the corner to successfully complete the achievement designed and implemented by Anet. Just because I’m not moving does not mean I am not at the keyboard. If I find out you report me I will file a report against you for griefing me.

Posted by: BuD.7851

BuD.7851

For the first one, unlike the previous LS, I don’t see why people can’t get out of the breachmaker, take care of the business, then pop back in since the 3 attunements stays there for a period of time. Or better yet, wait for the next attempt if your life truly demands your full attention.

I’m on call for half the month.
If it is an emergency, I’m not thinking “OMG I have to shut GW2 down so people dont think Im leeching!” I’m rushing out the door. Theres a timer that will log me out.

Rayti.6531

Which was in response to the question: “Since there are more and more people abusing this, I want to ask before I get myself in trouble for “abusing” the report system: Is this a reportable offence?”

Whether or not it violates the CoC isn’t the question here. The question is merely one of procedure.

Unfortunately the question regarding procedure isn’t answered in the cited thread either…

Even if it would violate the CoC I think there should be an option to report them for exactly what they are doing. Not for something totally different that has nothing to do with their violation. It’s not like it makes filtering easier for the team if everything is reported as “botting”.

As far as I can remember, many people already asked for additional categories for different cases, but yet there are still none…

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Theres a timer that will log me out.

That timer is like 40-50 minutes. I just alt-f4. If you were working on something, would you not bother to save it before rushing away?

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

As far as I can remember, many people already asked for additional categories for different cases, but yet there are still none…

Actually one other option got implemented months ago.. “LFG Abuse” (for the LFG party search beta).

In the old GW1 game there was an option for ‘leeching’, perhaps that should be reinstated here in this game.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Yes. Report them for botting since Leeching is not an option.

Don’t let them threaten you back. They are behaving in a way which hurts the majority of players for their own gain. This is contrary to the design and spirit of the game.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Szamsziel.5627

Szamsziel.5627

Actually ZudetGambeous.9573 is right. Hiding at safe spot is not equal to being AFK. It may be just not participating in event – for example reading in-game emails. You cannot force anyone to attack/move if someone is not willing too.
What I suggest is a check – if you are not playing AND if there is active event in your proximity – every x minutes there should be a time bar (like if you are in overflow and the main has space). If you do not click you will be thrown into overflow – then also your participation in the event will be removed.
If there is no active event – then the timer should be extended. It should also cover Tequatl/Wurm/Temples leechers.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

The achievements promote AFKing although those people are usually still playing just not doing anything most of the time.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Neoheart.2750

Neoheart.2750

I’m not AFK, I’m hiding in the corner to successfully complete the achievement designed and implemented by Anet. Just because I’m not moving does not mean I am not at the keyboard. If I find out you report me I will file a report against you for griefing me.

[img]http://makeameme.org/media/created/biggest-achievement-ever.jpg[/img]

get rolled in WvW season1 much?

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

I report everyone who makes threatening and harassing comments in map chat toward AFKers. Any mention of the term ‘leech’ gets reported immediately.

Harassment is most definately against the CoC, while AFK is not.

timmyf.1490

I report everyone who makes threatening and harassing comments in map chat toward AFKers. Any mention of the term ‘leech’ gets reported immediately.

OP, please do not let threats like this keep you from reporting leechers using the Botting option.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

So here are the 4 reasons that people wanted to hide in the corner:

2. Need a fail-safe attempt on achievement.
3. Leeching.
4. Griefing.

To fix the leeching problem though, other than devs personally go there and swing the ban-hammer, look at players screenshot reports one by one, a patch that makes hologram’s attack cover the player’s hiding spot would help. In the last LS, people hides in all kinds of place in the city so it’s difficult to track all the leechers, but breachmaker is a small arena, should be easy.

Only if ANet release a booster to increase server player’s overall morality.

Griefing… now im imagining some nasty little troll hiding in the corner rubbing his hands together and giggling devilishly at everyone, being proud of himself for idling and hoping people notice him. Rather awkward way of trolling. XD

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Mad Rasputin.7809

OP, please do not let threats like this keep you from reporting leechers using the Botting option.

Not a threat.

Report anyone you like. If you are abusing the report button, ANet will do something about that themselves.

If you are making harassing comments in map chat towards other players, that is against the CoC and you will be reported if I see it.

timmyf.1490

Not a threat.

Report anyone you like. If you are abusing the report button, ANet will do something about that themselves.

If you are making harassing comments in map chat towards other players, that is against the CoC and you will be reported if I see it.

Sure. I usually say something along the lines of “Please don’t just AFK in the corner. Please help us with the event.” before reporting.

That is CLEARLY not harassment.

Mad Rasputin.7809

Not a threat.

Sure. I usually say something along the lines of “Please don’t just AFK in the corner. Please help us with the event.” before reporting.

That is CLEARLY not harassment.

That is not harassment and I would not report that. Anyone can ask someone to help or do something in a friendly manner.

Calling somebody a leech or other derogatory term is harassment and will get reported.

Szamsziel.5627

timmyf.1490 – what do you do if I’ll answer: “Sorry, trading ATM, maybe later?”
;)

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

Actually, this is Anet’s problem and it is about time they take their heads out of the sand and start to deal with it properly. They are the ones making content that only allow specific numbers of people to participate in each instance and unfortunately they are set up to be somewhat challenging and this translates to the need for participation by the majority of players.
As far as I am concerned AFK’ing is grieving the other players because in many cases their non-participation could lead to failure of the event. I did it twice yesterday and failed due to people standing in the bloody corner doing nothing so we didn’t have enough dps or support to complete in the time frame allotted, and that by its very definition is interfering with a player’s progress, hence grieving.

I understand there are legitimate reasons people go afk, been there done that but I think there should be a tab to report people specifically for this and it is up to Anet to look for patterns of abuse much the same as botting and punish the abusers accordingly.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490 – what do you do if I’ll answer: “Sorry, trading ATM, maybe later?”
;)

I’ll ask you to WP out of the event and trade elsewhere. I’d even send you the 2-3 silver for taking the WP if you’re too lazy to go through the Mists.

Szamsziel.5627

The issue is – the only thing you can do is ask. And I may follow … or nor. But both are in accordance with rules.

And just one thing – question is why people are standing doing nothing? Because there is a reward associated with that. Remove the incentive. You are not participating? Fine, no reward for you. Simple as that. No achievement, no killing chest – nothing.
But also the person is not counted for event scaling. Then you can AFK all day long.
Edit : And to avoid dpsing when not counted in scaling – each minute afk you get 1 min debuff – cannot use skills. Wp-ting – remove debuf

(edited by Szamsziel.5627)

timmyf.1490

The issue is – the only thing you can do is ask. And I may follow … or nor. But both are in accordance with rules.

And just one thing – question is why people are standing doing nothing? Because there is a reward associated with that. Remove the incentive. You are not participating? Fine, no reward for you. Simple as that. No achievement, no killing chest – nothing.
But also the person is not counted for event scaling. Then you can AFK all day long.

I can’t say whether people who are AFKing on Scarlet’s ship count toward scaling or not. We’d need Anet to confirm/deny that.

If the rules are currently such that you can AFK to receive equal or better rewards or achievements than players contributing to the event, ArenaNet needs to update the rules.

I hope they see the responses of players on these threads, recognize that there is a problem, and develop a solution quickly.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

See my post above, this is grieving other players pure and simple. If this were to happen in a dungeon you would be booted, it goes unnoticed in large events mostly due to the amount of people but I can tell you first hand it negatively impacted two rounds with Scarlet last night alone. So yes, Anet has designed the content this way and yes they should very well put in some form of detecting and removing afk’ers. As for removing their reward, great but it does nothing to solve the issue of others not being rewarded due to this behavior.

Anet needs to, at the very least speak up loud and clear on this and in my mind find a way to either remove these type of players from this type of content or build content that cannot be abused this way.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

ToT.7018

I think the issue is the first achievement trying to avoid scarlets attack. Last night there was 1-3 people afking the first fight to get the achievement. This happened in 4 consecutive fights and all 4 succeeded.
I do not have an issue with this at all, i fought her every time and didnt get the achievement. If the only way to do this is to ‘afk’ once for 5 mins then that is fine with me.
I will keep trying to do it by fighting her and if i cant be done i will stand in the doorway myself for 5 mins. Please feel free to report me and i will have you for harassment.
Someone afking for 40 mins and someone at there keyboard watching for 5 mins is totally different.
No where is there an ingame law that says i must be fighting whilst im in game, whats next no afk or hanging about in towns.
It’s time people stopped acting like kids and grow up

Szamsziel.5627

In dungeon – I agree. Small party, if you need to go AFK due to any reason you can ask people (especially if they are your friends) just to wait or kill extra mobs.
For large scale events…
That’s why I proposed : AFK doesn’t count for an event. No participation so no upscaling and no reward. Simple?
ToT : watching to learn so in long term it is even beneficial for whole community

timmyf.1490

No where is there an ingame law that says i must be fighting whilst im in game, whats next no afk or hanging about in towns.

But this isn’t a town. That’s the point. If you want to afk, play TP, etc, don’t do it in the middle of a large scale battle.

My events DID fail last night with 3-5 AFKers. (Did it twice, both failed.) That could be in part because I’m a “bad” or something, or it could be that 10-20% of the players were standing in a corner. Luckily, I had guild members in a different zone of the fight and went into the instance with them.

ToT.7018

Szamsziel i have no idea what your statement means towards me can you please clarify thankyou.
And for the record as i have stated i have tried and will keep trying to get the achievement by fighting if it get to the last day and i havent then i may have no option to stand outside the attack to get it done

timmyf.1490

Szamsziel i have no idea what your statement means towards me can you please clarify thankyou.
And for the record as i have stated i have tried and will keep trying to get the achievement by fighting if it get to the last day and i havent then i may have no option to stand outside the attack to get it done

You know what? This is fair.

If you spend two weeks trying to get the stupid achievement and can’t and finally, on the last day, you decide AFKing is the only way, I’ll give you a pass.

That happened to me with rubble runs: I didn’t want to do rubble runs because I wasn’t contributing, but Monday before patch day, I didn’t have enough Heirlooms, so I did some rubble running. I felt guilty for it, but I thought it was my last chance.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

That’s not what that post says at all. People are piling claims of botting and griefing on the AFKers and the response is, “If you think it violates the CoC, report them and let ANet make the call.” It is not confirming nor denying a stance by ANet on AFKing.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

Mad Rasputin.7809

But this isn’t a town. That’s the point. If you want to afk, play TP, etc, don’t do it in the middle of a large scale battle.

My events DID fail last night with 3-5 AFKers. (Did it twice, both failed.) That could be in part because I’m a “bad” or something, or it could be that 10-20% of the players were standing in a corner. Luckily, I had guild members in a different zone of the fight and went into the instance with them.

No offense to you personally, but zoning out with your guildies when they defeat theirs leaves your platform empty handed. I’ve heard reports of several people doing this, leaving that one last platform short handed at the end and ultimately fails.

A bigger problem than the 3-5 AFKers are the 5-6 active players that are trying to DPS without the proper buff, thereby accomplishing nothing.

Teach everyone the proper method of beating it, have everyone stay on their platform until the end, and your chances of success will be a lot higher. Those 3-4 AFKers are just the scapegoats for the other real issues.

ToT.7018

My events DID fail last night with 3-5 AFKers. (Did it twice, both failed.) That could be in part because I’m a “bad” or something, or it could be that 10-20% of the players were standing in a corner. Luckily, I had guild members in a different zone of the fight and went into the instance with them.[/quote]

As i also said there was 1 – 3 people stood in the doorway for 5 minutes and they joined the fight when it came to killing the 3 coloured holograms and all 4 events i participated in succeeded.
This is my personal opinion to me no one else, let them get their achievement if that’s what they want

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

In my opinion, standing in that spot and not participating in the fight is griefing.
I usually make screenshots of those afkers every 5 min and send an email to exploits@arena.net, adding the screenshots.

Works like a charm.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

The hologram fight is definatly doable with afkers. Saw ~20 afkers and we still finished with plenty time left.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Kal Spiro.9745

Edit : And to avoid dpsing when not counted in scaling – each minute afk you get 1 min debuff – cannot use skills. Wp-ting – remove debuf

I can’t imagine why someone would attempt to AFK the event. Not fight, I can understand, the only way I’ve seen to get the two achievements up there is to not attack anything. If you don’t attack you can’t mess up. But you have to be constantly moving and active.

I just spent my time mimicking Heal-o-Tron.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

Szamsziel.5627

It wasn’t directed toward you. I apologize if I made you to interpret it differently. You are actively participating in event – kudos for you. But even if you need to stay AFK in the same event I’m participating – I don’t mind at all.

What you had said just put in my mind an (probably bad) answer for those who harass the “still participants”: “I’m watching the fight to learn”.

Kal Spiro.9745

In my opinion, standing in that spot and not participating in the fight is griefing.
I usually make screenshots of those afkers every 5 min and send an email to exploits@arena.net, adding the screenshots.

Works like a charm.

What works? Your ability to take screenshots or your ability to send emails? Those are the only things you could be talking about because they are the only things you would have any confirmation of resolution on. Whether ANet did anything with your information to those people is privileged and you are not privy.

Kal Spiro.9745

It wasn’t directed toward you. I apologize if I made you to interpret it differently. You are actively participating in event – kudos for you. But even if you need to stay AFK in the same event I’m participating – I don’t mind at all.

What you had said just put in my mind an (probably bad) answer for those who harass the “still participants”: “I’m watching the fight to learn”.

No, just tacking my comments onto your response.

ToT.7018

Ok no problems guys,
i have plenty of time after work and weekends to get the achievements done as they are meant to be done, but as i can say i can see why people afk 5 mins to get there’s, maybe they are just short of playing hours or just done want to repeat the same event numerous times to get the one or two achievements.
Anyway in a couple of weeks all this will be forgotten and we will have moved onto another part of the game.
Happy gaming guys and goodluck maybe i see you in an overflow lol