Why are group events so poorly tuned?

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

To be more specific, I’m talking about the Miasma events in the current Living World. (Way too late to be talking about it but… anyway.)
I have yet to see one completed, not even close.

I’m not expecting a group to just roll over the enemies, and I think introducing Elite level mobs in place of Champions is a good idea. It becomes a problem when the only things in the area are Veteran+, with nearly half of them being Elite.
This wouldn’t even be a problem, except the group size I was looking at was maybe ten (10) people.

Elites seem to be tuned for about 3-5 people, and that’s cool. But when there’s barely enough people to deal with a full set of veteran mobs and maybe one or two elites, why are 3+ of these superpowered HP-sinks showing up?

While I realize that zergs need to be curbed and/or catered, can ANet please do something about how it treats group sizes? We shouldn’t have to be on Vent/TeamSpeak/etc and managing group sizes to very specific magic numbers in order to get the enemy clusters to be manageable.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Stone.6751

Stone.6751

I have seen them completed many times?

Penny Royalty – Level 80 Guardian
Raingarde – Level 80 Necromancer

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It’s because the events grab the number of players in a much bigger radius than the event circle, on the assumption that those players will converge and do the event as well. Of course, this usually isn’t the case as those players are usually off rescuing civilians or Heirloom hunting, but the mobs in the event are still scaled up regardless.

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

Yeah I’ve seen miasma events completed several times.
Although, some specific ones always fail. No matter how many people there are.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Thanks, Zaxares and Zanshin. I’d still love to get some dev presence here, or a link to somewhere it’s been addressed.

I have to wonder the circumstances you guys have seen it succeed? Very small groups? Earlier in the event cycle?

If it’s any kind of example, I’ve been a part of 5- to 10-man teams that tackled a world boss faster than a map-full zerg. If it’s group size that’s a problem, then the events need to be tuned to right-size to the active player count. And future events should be sure that there’s never just one or two active events in place.

Since the miasma is supposed to eventually overwhelm the players and lock of the zone, I figure that the later miasma events might be rigged to be unbeatable in the time frame. Thematically apropos, but bad form to include something that can’t be beaten in a situation where players are supposed to invest time in interacting with it.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

Thanks, Zaxares and Zanshin. I’d still love to get some dev presence here, or a link to somewhere it’s been addressed.

I have to wonder the circumstances you guys have seen it succeed? Very small groups? Earlier in the event cycle?

If it’s any kind of example, I’ve been a part of 5- to 10-man teams that tackled a world boss faster than a map-full zerg. If it’s group size that’s a problem, then the events need to be tuned to right-size to the active player count. And future events should be sure that there’s never just one or two active events in place.

Since the miasma is supposed to eventually overwhelm the players and lock of the zone, I figure that the later miasma events might be rigged to be unbeatable in the time frame. Thematically apropos, but bad form to include something that can’t be beaten in a situation where players are supposed to invest time in interacting with it.

LA is always overridden by miasma 10 minutes before the hour. All the miasma events do is providing you with extra citizens to save.

Posted by: Sodeni.6041

Sodeni.6041

Omg this is fabolous! Thanks for making this story^^! hahahah

Posted by: kitsuneshoujo.5734

kitsuneshoujo.5734

I’d just love it if they would turn off the magical orbital strikes that come from nothing. There is nothing strategic of fun about getting blasted away while you’re fighting a pile of skill-spamming mobs that only have aoe-knockbacks on their hotbar.

Not kidding. Last night I encountered a “thug” that repeatedly knocked me back. Couldn’t even dodge because as soon as the stun ended it would knock me back down again immediately.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

because less people is more

These events are easier to complete if there are about 5-10 people, if you see more than that, leave, go somewhere else.
The more people there, the higher it scales, the harder it is to complete.

Posted by: DougTheSlug.3920

DougTheSlug.3920

After initially attempting and getting pathetic results, I completed triple threat on sunday (all 3 miasma’s completed at the same time)

My post from another thread which includes tips: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/escape/Triple-Threat-even-possible-now/first#post3709505

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

There’s no problem with the events, but rather with the players. Once you understand the mechanics of the event, you realize that zerging is the worst thing you can do. Have people split up and be stationed on different areas of the map. That way you don’t upscale enemies, and you have coverage to clear each event.

But, players can choose how they want to play. If you don’t care to reach the 1200 citizens rescue mark, then it won’t happen. Working as intended.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I preferred when up-scaled events spawned Champions rather than Elites. At least the Champs drop better loot, whereas Elite drops seem no better than Vet or normal mob drops. Ah well, the developer giveth, and he taketh away.

Posted by: Dakota.4591

Dakota.4591

There’s no problem with the events, but rather with the players.

I think this right here is the problem. ANet has done a better job than many other MMOs in making events that can’t be failed because of a select few people. But recent events have started to buck this trend. New Tequatl was like this before they changed the turrets. Marionette was like this. And now the LA miasma events. It’s less of an impact than the others, as you can still make 1200 citizens without beating a single miasma (albeit with some difficulty), but the event scales upwards at a far greater rate than player involvement. And max-scaled miasma events are unbeatable in their current state.

While I understand ANet wanting the events to not be facerolled up against a zerg, the way Miasma events are scaled are a good example of how not to do it.