Why is the Pale Tree Silent?

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

For those of us who have read the short story on Scarlet (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/short-story-what-scarlet-saw/, we know that she interacted with the Pale Tree while Scarlet was in the “eternal alchemy”:

Please: go no further. In seeking to comprehend the forces that shape us, you will unleash them. Society cannot withstand that.

The Pale Tree knows and sees many things. It must know, or at least have an idea, what Scarlet saw, and why she is doing these things.

Why is it still silent?

Posted by: Skittles.7480

Skittles.7480

It must be a pretty dangerous secret. Signs seem to point to Caithe knowing something on the subject as well.

Posted by: Eulolia.2467

Eulolia.2467

They actually updated the dialogue on the avatar recently. She talks a bit about her grief at Scarlet being consumed by something.

Subscribe for exciting guild wars 2 videos! https://www.youtube.com/user/eulololia/

Posted by: Avascar.9237

Avascar.9237

The Pale Tree is actually the one consuming Scarlet, she’s just deceiving others with her emotions!

Posted by: jweez.7214

jweez.7214

She had something to do with what’s wrong with scarlet and it must be shady.

Also one of the asura says that whatever is driving scarlet to do the things she is doing now “came in with her” (in reference to the machine that drove her mad). Well, the pale tree was quite literally with her when it happened.

Posted by: darksome.1697

darksome.1697

I bet the Tanned Tree is behind all this, the rascal!

Posted by: Zardul.3952

Zardul.3952

i think the Pale Tree is the Jungle dragon Mordremoth

Main: lvl 80 Ranger ,
Alt: lvl 80 Mesmer

Posted by: Zardul.3952

Zardul.3952

the Awakening of a Sylvari ends with a tree coming out the ground which turns out to be a dragon.

if thats not a BIG hint that the Pale TREE is a huge dragon ….

i dunno what is.

Main: lvl 80 Ranger ,
Alt: lvl 80 Mesmer

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

Now that would be an awesome twist. The Pale Tree is Mordremoth, and Scarlet is going to poison the leylines to poison the Pale Tree, thus ending the dragon and the ‘dream’.

That would be great! All they need to do now is put together a montage of really small scenes and passages that gave small hints the Pale Tree was Mordremoth all along.

Kaiser Sözed!

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

She’s silent because she’s useless. That’s going to be my assessment. Really surprised they haven’t done more with the pale tree, especially because Scarlet is a sylvari.

Posted by: cainejw.7142

cainejw.7142

For those of us who have read the short story on Scarlet (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/short-story-what-scarlet-saw/, we know that she interacted with the Pale Tree while Scarlet was in the “eternal alchemy”:

Please: go no further. In seeking to comprehend the forces that shape us, you will unleash them. Society cannot withstand that.

The Pale Tree knows and sees many things. It must know, or at least have an idea, what Scarlet saw, and why she is doing these things.

Why is it still silent?

I assume the same reason the Iconics are absolutely nowhere to be found: inability to remember continuity and characters that existed before launch.

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

I don’t think that the Pale Tree is Mordremoth. However, it’s possible that she and our Sylvari are purified minions of Mordremoth. And that would certainly be a secret worth keeping.

Imagine the fallout of this realization. Many Sylvari would keep fighting on our side, but many would suffer an identity crisis. Many would join the Nightmare Court, realizing it to be closer to the true form of the Sylvari. The Tree and the Sylvari would no longer be trusted by the other races (are they really on our side, or is it a ruse?) The Orders would be thrown for a loop. Do they continue working with the Sylvari, or burn them all in case Mordremoth somehow regained control? What about the Sylvari within the Orders? Do they turn their blades against themselves? Some would likely do so, finding death a more comforting option than being turned by the dragon. The whole of Tyria would have their eyes on the Sylvari and the Pale Tree would have a lot to answer for.

It’d be interesting to say the least.

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

Cause it left the building to work on it’s tan.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

A guildie just pointed out that the Pale Tree must have felt so many of Her children slain, all those in LA who didn’t make it out. I’d think there’d be something in her dialogue about it.

Preferably not in the style of the line from A Vision of Orr about the world shuddering, which is a fine line on its own but does not mesh at all with the surrounding conversation in tone or style.

Posted by: Azkal.9340

Azkal.9340

I doubt that the Pale Tree is Mordremoth, but more, like Kalarchis said, a champion of Mordremoth. If she were Mordremoth then that would have extreme Problems with the Syvlari Personal Story.

Where would you start out as a Sylvari? The Pale Tree is this good and pure creature throughout the entire Personal Story (not only for Sylvari) and how would they be able to integrate all of that into this new world where the Pale Tree is now a magic consuming Elder Dragon?

I still think that Scarlet saw Mordremoth (the Sylvari’ true purpose) and is trying to control him in order to free the Sylvari from his chains so that they can choose their own destiny instead of being the slaves of a dragon. In the end she will ultimately fail and instead of saving the Sylvari and the rest of Tyria from the next Elder Dragon she will awaken and doom us all, making her this really tragic “hero”. I can easily see Mordremoth awakening next patch, Scarlet laughs insanely thinking she can controll him now, something goes wrong, Mordremoth laughs back and gobbles her up!

Would be cool if Mordremoth is also the dragon that the Sylvari PC sees in the Dream meaning that their Wyld Hunt isn’t over yet.

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

She is too busying giving birth to more slyvari.

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

Based on the “secret” from Aetherpath that Scarlet knows about Caithe, I always thought:

Caithe is working with Scarlet…

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

My GF’s explanation is that the Pale Tree was a dragon lieutenant who broke free, akin to Glimm.

This would also explain why Sylvari aren’t corrupted: They are already touched by dragon power as-is.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

It’s silent about it because, well, secrets are meant to be kept. Not told to whatever shorty asura happens to swagger in to beg and plead.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Aajolea.8132

Aajolea.8132

Operation kill-the-meat-bags? How they find out so soon! Everyone act planty and pretend its a mad conspirational bitter idea, and pale tree is just very unset and in mourning at present….