emphasis on the spinal blades

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Why are portals in LA closed unless you the one very specific backpack? Or do I not get something? Why can’t we participate with normal backpacks?

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

What? I didn’t see anything mention that.

Posted by: Vael Victus.2654

Vael Victus.2654

People are saying the spinal backpiece is required at exotic level in order to go through the portals.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

People are saying the spinal backpiece is required at exotic level in order to go through the portals.

that’s what the portals say. I find that kittened and unfair.

Posted by: Vael Victus.2654

Vael Victus.2654

My lover is working toward a fused skin right now — the last thing she wants is to spend money just to have the privilege of finishing the living story. How does that even scale for newbies? They’ll just throw all their money into building this backpiece?

Posted by: Tofu.1978

Tofu.1978

Don’t know what the portal does since I haven’t been in game yet but from the patch notes

“For the brave who battle their way to the Diverse Ledges, they can meet up with Lionguard Turma. Her latest scouting report states that she’s found a new type of portal but is unable to access it without special equipment derived from Scarlet’s technology.”

Devout Tofu, Hardened Tofu, Cryptic Tofu, Unstable Tofu, Expired Tofu
Knights of the Rose [KoR] – Isle of Janthir

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

How odd that you used lover ;|

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Nothing from the LS itself mentions needing the spinal blades. The only thing that mentions it is some “special portal”. So I’m assuming the story itself doesn’t require you to have the spinal blades, and its maybe just some small bonus area or something.

That doesn’t seem so bad, but I guess it’ll depend on what’s actually in there.

Posted by: prettyspiffy.8302

prettyspiffy.8302

I just tried to get into one of the portals and I was pushed back. It said I needed to have the spinal blades backpiece equipped. Others that had it equipped could go in and stand on it. I really don’t understand why anet would block the ls conclusion like this

Posted by: Tarrek.7436

Tarrek.7436

The exotic piece isn’t that difficult to get. I’ve made 2 and upgraded one to ascended with casual effort and even have enough materials to make another. I think a month is more then enough time to get what you need.

Posted by: Pipra.7580

Pipra.7580

What does the portal do and where does it go?

Posted by: Mathog.3157

Mathog.3157

I entered the portal at Shuttered Gate with just the first level of backpiece. Other portals need those buff things from three legendary bosses I think.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

I absolutely detest the looks of the spinal blades backpiece. Is this a real thing that it will have to be created, and I’ll have to spend my metal creating it, to be able to get into a portal to view/participate in a part of the new content? I’m at work right now — is this a troll post? Or is it real?

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Uuuuuugh, I made this and out it on my alt because it’s the only back peice capable of being celestial… I hope I don’t need it actually equipped to go into any portals…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Posted by: Sylv.6514

Sylv.6514

This appears to be the real deal. You even have to farm and make one of those backpacks for the achievments to get the event chest. Screw that, i’m not going to do some annoying farm to create a back piece i’m just going to end up destroying. It’s an ugly back piece that none of my characters will ever use, and all my characters are geared 80’s, so it’s worthless for transmuting. It pretty much killed any interest i have in participating. kitten move anet.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Personally I love it. Why else would the spinal blades not be tradable? They wanted people to participate and make stuff on their own… And here we go!

Sorry to those who haven’t made them yet though. That’s bad luck, mate.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Vaultnishi.4209

Vaultnishi.4209

You do not need the spinal blades to fight scarlet and get the event chest (I assume you mean the title, helmet and the lions arch bag?), I was able to run through it just fine. Not sure where that portal goes to though.

Posted by: Tigerlily.3765

Tigerlily.3765

I just wish, for the love of God, they has mentioned this so I didn’t throw out three stacks of the spinal shards because I did not want the backpeice. I mean come on .

Posted by: Dietere.3476

Dietere.3476

So to be clear, what exactly is required? The exotic version of the back piece?

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I just wish, for the love of God, they has mentioned this so I didn’t throw out three stacks of the spinal shards because I did not want the backpeice. I mean come on .

I saw pictures of people destroying them, and i bet anet did to, so they coded this in real quick to giggle.

Sorry though! That stinks.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Vassyl.5246

Vassyl.5246

The basic version is enough to use the fourth, violett portal. It does not leed to the boss fight to which the white portals are leading.

Posted by: Sasuke.2573

Sasuke.2573

To go through on of the portals you need to have a light-buff wich you get when you kill the three assault knights. I entered the portal without having the backpiece equipped. I dont know what you are talking about, nothing says you need it. Or you talk of another portal…

(edited by Sasuke.2573)

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

Well, you have two weeks to make one and it wont cost you a single gold. Every mat could be realistically gathered in plenty of time.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

(edited by AcidicVision.5498)

Posted by: wookiee.4631

wookiee.4631

I got in with Fine version. I think it’s kind of dumb to wall off the instance like that too, but I guess if you beat the event you go there anyway. Don’t know for sure because I was DC’d in the middle of the big Drill fight. I ran over to the unlabeled portal and lo and behold you could just skip that fight if you just want the story.

Too bad you need to make an item. At least it doesn’t require a ton of work if you go for bare minimum though, so I’m not that exasperated about it. Eh. :/

Guild: Northern Wolf Clan [WOLF]

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

I saw pictures of people destroying them, and i bet anet did to, so they coded this in real quick to giggle.

Sorry though! That stinks.

Isn’t that what everyone wants from a game developer, childish malevolence?

On a more serious note, why would they choose to end the first season of the LW with the planting of the gear gating seed?

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: SpecterMAT.7306

SpecterMAT.7306

Ok. you guys are confused.

There is a portal at Diverse Ledges which says “spinal blades requires”.
One portal only.

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

this is unfortunate, I have no interest in this backback, I do not like the skin at all. Guess I’m going to need to make something I will use briefly then destroy. What a waste.

Pipra.7580

Again…what are these portals and where do they go?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Gah gear gating… Kill it! Kill it now!

breathes and counts to 10

I guess I’ll go check things out for myself and try not to blow a gasket until after I evaluate….

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

I’ve not a clue what you all are on about. I just completed the boss fight and final instance with Scarlet and I don’t own one of those back pieces. There is no gear gating that I’ve experienced.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

The portal gives you a warning about skipping story steps, so could it just be a shortcut to a final area that everyone gets after the hologram fights?

Or is that warning simply because I hadn’t done other steps yet?

It seems more than a bit stupid to include that as a gear-gated extra, but that’s what it looks like it is.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Aye.8392

Gah gear gating… Kill it! Kill it now!

breathes and counts to 10

I guess I’ll go check things out for myself and try not to blow a gasket until after I evaluate….

I’m with you. 100%. NO GEAR GATING!!

Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Sorann Peace.9056

Sorann Peace.9056

You DO NOT NEED the spinal blade pack to do the story. You ONLY need it to go through the secret entrance. The regular entrances to the drill just require attunement buffs from all three assault knights which spawn at the top of the hour in Lion’s Arch. Going to the SECRET entrance is just for people who want to skip straight to the ending so that they don’t have to worry about the assault knights or the hologram fight failing. The secret entrance does NOT give you the whole instance, it merely shows the ending where Scarlet has already been wounded and you can finish her off and see the final cutscene!

TL;DR no, the spinal blade pack isn’t needed to participate.

Posted by: Zorion.7504

Zorion.7504

It is not required.
You can do the whole event kill the boss and watch the cutscen without the backpack.
You can how ever if you have the backpack, revisit the endscen from the portal at the jumping tower.
The other portals oonly brings you to scarletts ship when you have finished the bosses and got all trhee colors on you.

Aye.8392

You DO NOT NEED the spinal blade pack to do the story. You ONLY need it to go through the secret entrance. The regular entrances to the drill just require attunement buffs from all three assault knights which spawn at the top of the hour in Lion’s Arch. Going to the SECRET entrance is just for people who want to skip straight to the ending so that they don’t have to worry about the assault knights or the hologram fight failing. The secret entrance does NOT give you the whole instance, it merely shows the ending where Scarlet has already been wounded and you can finish her off and see the final cutscene!

Thank you very much for this.

Sorrows Furnace

Pipra.7580

Awesome. Now people can calm the kitten down.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Does the portal work if you had an exotic backpiece that you transmuted? I got one for the easy exotic stats, but hated the look so transmuted it. Will I still be able to get into the portal?

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Thank you, that was kind freaking me out.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

This appears to be the real deal. You even have to farm and make one of those backpacks for the achievments to get the event chest. Screw that, i’m not going to do some annoying farm to create a back piece i’m just going to end up destroying. It’s an ugly back piece that none of my characters will ever use, and all my characters are geared 80’s, so it’s worthless for transmuting. It pretty much killed any interest i have in participating. kitten move anet.

For over a year, getting an exotic back piece was expensive and time consuming.

Now with the spinal blades, it’s actually pretty easy to make an exotic back piece (or several).

My advice, by happy that you can pick your stats, and transmute any skin on it that you like.

These are excellent, and I made several for my alts. Won’t be keeping the spinal blades look, but I’m super happy about the relatively cheap exotic stats (and for my main, ascended stats).

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

I don’t have the gold to craft the back piece to see the final cutscene.

I can’t get the buffs to enter the portal to see the cutscene because either my server can’t coordinate or the champion event bugs out.

I don’t know what else to do but uninstall the game, chalk it up as a loss and move on to something else.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I can’t get the buffs to enter the portal to see the cutscene because either my server can’t coordinate or the champion event bugs out.

I don’t know what else to do but uninstall the game, chalk it up as a loss and move on to something else.

Yeah… that definitely seems like the answer. You aren’t able to get to the end of a single story on the first day of two weeks, because of coordination problems and growing pains intrinsic in this type of event, so just quit for good. That is obviously a reasoned and temperate response to the situation at hand.

Or, and this is really stretching, you could give it some time. Work with your server, guest to a better server, or look for a capable overflow and do it that way. Also, unless you are exceptionally poor, it should be possible to pull together the resources to make the Exotic version. It really doesn’t involve a lot, other than 425 Blade Shards which you have to collect yourself anyway.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Finix.8672

Finix.8672

You can do it with the first level of the backpiece. If you don’t have the gold for that, you have far bigger problems than whether or not you’ll ever finish the story.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

You also don’t need it for alts, or equipped after the first time. I equipped one, went in, then unequipped it and was still able to get in. I also went to an alt who never had one equipped and it let her in too.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.