Cursed Shore is very frustrating for solo players

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Ramenboii.3927

Ramenboii.3927

So basically, I’m mainly a sPvP player, with some WvW, and so is my guild. So when I started roaming around the world for 100% completion I had to do is pretty much by myself.

And some of my favorite zones are Frostgorge Sound and Fireheart Rise, and of course Mount Maelstrom. However, as I slowly started to creep towards Orr, beginning with Straits of Devastation, and really getting on my nerves at the Cursed Shores, I’ve become more and more frustrated playing through these zones.

I understand what ANet was trying to do by getting rid of the traditional questing and bringing in Dynamic Events, and it isn’t the fact that these Orr zones have no heart quests, but the fact that everywhere I go I am constantly mobbed by monsters re-spawning at a ridiculous rate.

And I’ve read and heard that playing in parties are a great way to get through these areas, but for me, I much rather prefer going through PvE by myself on my own schedule because if I’m in a party, I feel obligated to only concentrate on playing or staying online longer than I had intended.

Anyways, I’ve really enjoyed every aspect of this game, I’d just like to say that for a player like me that specifically enjoys PvE alone, it could get quite frustrating sometimes around Orr.

TL:DR I like to play PvE alone because PvE is what I do when I do not have a chunk of time I can just sit down and play, so Orr could get quite frustrating for me.

To swing a sword and swing it again…

(edited by Moderator)

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

Group up and play until you need to go? And now that Cursed shore along with the rest of Orr has more and more people in it every day (hitting 80 and what not) it’s really not as bad as you make it out to be.

I know when I hit 80 on my first character I didn’t want to do Orr as the zone was void of other characters during off-peak times (my prime due to timezones) but even off-peak now has players running around and soloing is a non issue

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

“Group up and play until you need to go? "
That is not the point.

I hope in the (near) future this issue will be addressed.
U r supposed to be able to do everything solo, well, except Dungeons and Group DE’s.
Now it is not, mostly becos of the very fast respawing of foes at times and at some places.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: KryoKore.3281

KryoKore.3281

I have no problem on Cursed with my Necro. Gotta pick and choose your battles in this area, you pull everything and yeah, you’ll die. I did the majority of skill points (minus the labyrinth area – respawn rates are nuts there Anet) by myself. Bottom line – you can solo you just have to have more patience and take it slower than other zones. (And no I’m not talking about Champions, which obviously you’re not soloing)

If you do notice the respawn rates are messed up, do what I do. HEAL and RUN. (I run and throw out defensive abilities – they will stop chasing you eventually!)

(edited by KryoKore.3281)

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Ska.7943

Ska.7943

Yeah, I play a lot of Cursed Shore or Malichor’s Leap solo. It’s not a real problem until some other guy playing solo comes running by, bringing a bunch of mobs my way while I’m mining an ore node (after I patiently cleared my way to where the node is). :P

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Faramir.3582

Faramir.3582

OP it will take some time but will get used to play solo in Orr zones.Started from dyeing several times while running through them at the beginning to not go even in downed state now.Don`t expect to solo champions or group events.Apart from these all vistas/skill points and points of interests can be done solo without problems.Might take a bit,but will learn which risens to just run pass not bothering with them and which ones is better to stop and clear.Now generally speaking I`m enjoying Orr.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

i got to a way-point and have not deviated from it much, so yes, i do look like i am a bot but am honestly “playing”. since there are risen everywhere you go down there, there is no need for traveling to the next outpost – it’s all the same enemies. so i camp out at my favorite outpost and hope that eventually i can continue farther down on the map.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: green plum.7514

green plum.7514

I was under impression that Orr was designed with groups in mind. Saying that its hard to solo is like complaining that dungeons are too hard to solo. Join a PvE guild (you can join multiple guilds, right?) and group with them.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Yes, the general mob density and insane respawn rate make all Orr zones really annoying in general. That’s why everyone just seems to hang about the same 3-4 events and only venture out on search for Orichcalium.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

There are still areas in Orr where the increased influx of players hasn’t gotten to. I was running around in the extreme SW of Cursed Shore today. There were two DE’s with Champions (group events) and no one was there. The mob density is such that there is a mob every 30-50 feet (this is underwater). Fighting one means fighting 2-3. Moving around at all (in a game designed to have evasion be your main source of defense) usually means aggroing something else. I haven’t had much trouble elsewhere in Orr, but I won’t be going back there alone again.

ANet wanted the game to be about doing things because they are fun. However the majority of folks, at least on my server, seem to be doing the same Orr events over and over because there are a lot of people, meaning the event is done quickly. ANet’s game design was predicated on the idea that people would pursue fun. However, my view is that in practice people are pursuing the path of least resistance to their goals.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Thalimae.3406

Thalimae.3406

I did the Cursed Shore yesterday and it wasn’t all that hard. Sure I died a few times but that was mainly cause I didn’t pay attention to the environment or mobs so I ended up in a tough spot. However it’s a lot easier running around with at least one other player to watch each other’s backs. If you don’t like groups maybe you should at least consider grabbing a buddy to accompany you or temporarily team up with other players as soon as you see them. If you have to flee and there’s no other way run towards other players (as long as they don’t stand around in an otherwise save spot being afk) and then kill the mobs together.

So yeah, if you’re careful you can indeed solo everything but GW2 is designed around the premise that working together should be beneficial and Imho it shows especially in Orr where everything is sooo much easier with other people around.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Essarious Quw.8946

Essarious Quw.8946

I loved Orr’s difficulty. It really felt like I was inside the land of an Elder Dragon and he really -really- didn’t want me to be there. I did most of it solo as well as the advance scout for the rest of the PvE’rs in my guild. The first map in Orr was the hardest for me, and the others were not as stressful but still not easy.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Orr is easy, even as a solo player. I tried to go naked (all armor off) around in Orr and still managed way more than expected.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Yukishiro.8792

Yukishiro.8792

There’s nothing hard about Orr. It is just mind-numbingly boring having to constantly clear mobs that serve no purpose but to delay you.

The only way to get into trouble (as opposed to tedium) is when you try to avoid the tedium by just running through a bunch of the trash and hoping they leash.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Novalight.7568

Novalight.7568

Yeh, Orr was maybe hard-ish for the 1st time I entered (skill points in an area that has random stun…that was fun), but then it became boring fast. Farming maps with mobs that have annoying abilities and nodes that make you run around the whole map (unless u have a server that someone makes a map for you). And doing Orr (snicker) is so much different depending on the class you have… And same repetitive zerg DE farming for hours, yeh….what I always wanted.

“GW2 takes everything you love about GW1” – M. O’Brien
“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“The most important thing in any game should be the player” – R. Soesbee

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

Once u realize what you signed up for you can anticipate and expect things and Cursed Shore is actually easy compared to Malchor… Malchor was INSANE. champs, vets, and billion high respawn mobs clustered, with all sorts of conditions on you, like malchor was an intense version of Cursed Shore… with the bosses like Lyssa and Eye of Zhaitan around…. I mean Cursed Shore has some good bosses but the rest of the area is a lot easier to navigate, mobs more scattered, easier terrain and you can avoid stuff.

I solo’d most of Orr, just sneak around slowly, stay out of range and now you know their ranges are huge and are extremely aggressive and sensitive. I choose one target to clear so I can make a route and sneak through the rest. But in Malchor once again, I complain against it, i couldn’t even do that without being swarmed xD Going for one meant going for at least three or four with max range attacks. I believe they should move a lot of the intensity of stuff in Malchor to Cursed Shore because Cursed Shore should be more “end game” levels until they open new maps

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Jalad Lantana.3027

Jalad Lantana.3027

I sometimes think that all three zones in Orr were left to last and have the least refinement put into the dynamic events and general mob population. It plays like it was rushed out and that to make up for a lack of good dynamic events throughout the zone, the devs threw in the towel and just said lets up the respawn rates and the general mob density, job done. As a result most players stay in a few key areas while some areas like the extreame south east edge and the western edge are rarely visited and suicide to visit solo.

There area also quite a few defend X posts that if you try to defend them with less than 3 people you will be over run with a constant flow of mobs some of which spawn right behind you.

It can be a fun zone when the population is high enough, but when everyone is in WvW, not so much.

HOD
Guardian / Ranger / Mesmer / Necro / Warrior
Played since 1st online ‘demo’ months before the BWEs.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Wift.9862

Wift.9862

I’m actually disappointed that Orr isn’t harder than it already is. There isn’t much in this game that actually requires a coordinated group to play with, besides WvW, dungeons and sPvP. I was hoping that Orr would feel like a struggle, that actually required players to unite and plan about how to attack these supposedly deadly monsters. Instead, it just felt like another couple of zones to zerg with a couple random groups. Little to no coordination required.

I hope for expansions, Anet makes some raid-like dungeon zones, because these zones really lack any challenge what-so-ever.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: helladoom.4317

helladoom.4317

There’s nothing hard about Orr. It is just mind-numbingly boring having to constantly clear mobs that serve no purpose but to delay you.

In other words, getting from A to B in Orr is much more labor intensive (aka “harder”) than in the lower level zones.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Sinning.7483

Sinning.7483

Try grabbing some gear at ya level (even cheap Greens)…I’ve solo’d Orr full map completion on 4 toons different classes and not had a problem, looking above I;d say you might need better gear or maybe just not used to PVE? (thought PVP would be harder tho).

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

Well it only makes sense that high level zone Orr is harder to get around in… Lol it’d be too easy other wise. It’d also not make sense for the base of operations of an elder dragon with armies of undead?