Scaling Down and Precision Based Builds

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Homitu.7216

Homitu.7216

Just for reference, I have an 80 elementalist, which I primarily play with a vitality/healing/condition damage support build for frequent dungeon runs. I wanted to mess around with a strong crit stacking build but didn’t want to constantly respec my ele, so I decided to level a new character and experiment with precision/crit throughout.

I chose a warrior.

I put my first 10 points into the precision tree and took the Deep Strike trait, which grants 40 precision for every unused signet. I tossed on 3 signet utility skills, including one that improved precision. I crafted a full set of precision gear. To my delight, at level 30, I have a little over 100% crit chance. When I’m fighting at my level, I mow enemies down so satisfyingly fast.

Here’s the interesting problem I found: when I scale down to lower level content, my crit chance drops dramatically. 4 levels down, for example, and it drops all the way to 66%. As expected, the dps decrease is very noticeable. As such, it actually becomes much much more difficult to kill lower level enemies than enemies at my own level. This struck me as incredibly odd. I’m basically wondering whether it’s intended or a bug.

I can’t imagine this is intended as this actually makes lower level content harder than higher level content. In fact, I would have been stronger in that very same zone 5 levels ago than I am now. I’ve essentially become weaker and less effective at the same content.

Note, I’m not complaining since it’s fun, but if it’s a bug, I’ll report it. Also note, I understand the curve on crit chance as you level. The same amount of precision won’t be as effective at higher levels as it is at my current level. My issue has nothing to do with this though.

Thanks for any input!

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Voltar.8574

Voltar.8574

yeah. if anything, it should be higher at lower levels. maybe there’s a specific mechanic that kittens crit chance with the scaling down because of that.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

This does seem like an odd anomaly obviously related to the maths of down-scaling.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there were quite a few of such inconsistencies to be found.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

At level 40, Deep Strikes nearly doubled my precision.

As a level 80 downscaled to 40 by Caudecus Manor, it’s a wasted trait.

User was infracted for being awesome.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Begur.3205

Begur.3205

On one BWE I notice following thing: level 20 zone, I am 20lvl. Level up and my stats became lower then there are was on my level 20.
I am pretty sure nothing was changes in the system so far. Scaling up and down are simple and can produce strange results.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Varil.8206

Varil.8206

I’ve found crit chance to be a little inconsistent. One time I remember(running with the +40/signet trait) using a signet(dropping a precision temporarily), but when it finished recharging my crit chance had changed slightly, by 1-2%. It’d be nice to know what the formula for calculating crit chance is, to better predict how much I want/need at a given level to get an acceptable critical hit chance(assuming I’m not going for 100% crit builds).

It’s relatively minor, but I’d actually like it if the crit-fishing build were more viable at higher levels. The inevitable drop-off of damage, coupled with how dangerous high-level enemies become makes the build really ineffective at higher levels, except in niche situations. Still doable, up to about 70 I could rely on evasion and occasional bow/kiting use to stay alive, but it was definitely far less effective than it used to be.