I dislike temproary content

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Tranc.6780

Tranc.6780

LordGustoff, I think your scenario could be plausible if Anet was releasing huge PvE content every month, but they’re not. Remember the first month of F&F where we were just fixing signs? Or the second month where there were just a couple new events? If they do the same thing with the next living story, a person logging on after the F&F dungeon goes away would still get the impression that nothing of significance has been added to the game. I know I would.

Even if the living story that follows F&F started with a huge content update, wouldn’t it be better to give a returning player this content PLUS the dungeon that they would have missed?

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Turgon.8625

Turgon.8625

Any idea if the dynamic events in wayfarers and diessa are sticking around afterwards? I would be really really disappointed if they stop – those zones have felt so alive of late.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

From all the interviews I’ve seen, they seem to mention frequently that story content will come and go. And players may miss out on the “history” of guild wars 2 if they are not playing during those times. I think this is a development style they are doing, and it sort of makes sense because they want the world to be as living and changing as possible. While some things are on a constant repeat timer, I think story they want to unfold and then end so another story can begin.

“Living World is really a broader concept, it’s the idea that Guild Wars 2 is (and will become more so) a truly living game, where the world can change and constantly evolve going forward.

This will come in a lot of different forms. One example of stuff we’ve done in the past is new events, dungeons, guild missions, etc. being added that constantly expand the range of content and experiences. We want to keep doing more and more of this with our world in the future, to constantly provide new exciting things you can discover and experience any time in Gw2.

Another form of this is through special events, things like Halloween, Hunger Games, or Wintersday where content is available for a period of time, is removed from the game when that period is over, and could appear again in the future in some form to help provide unique and fun experiences in the game world.

Finally, the storyline of this type of content going into the world is really the “living story” in a sense for the game. We want to try and theme our releases with storylines and main characters in the game world that have exciting story arcs, a lot of the permanent new content, special events, etc. will all have these core story arcs that drive them in the game world. Much like the story of Halloween drove around the potential return of the Mad King, storyline for our living world releases will play a big part in the content that appears and changes the world as a result.

We want to make this a much bigger part of where Gw2 goes in the future, to give a sense that the world truly can change constantly as you’re playing and every time you login. What we’ve done with Flame and Frost so far is really a very small example of what we view the living world to be as a future possibility for Gw2. Things more along the lines of Halloween, Lost Shores, and Wintersday are stronger examples, along with the new events, guild missions, etc. we’ve added in releases since launch.

The goal is to provide a unifying storyline to the world that ushers this new content into the game, changes the game, and makes the world feel truly alive. It’s like every month your GM is running new scenarios for your gaming group to enjoy, or your favorite TV show is airing new episodes to experience. We’re really barely scratching the surface of what this concept can be for our game, and we’ll be building much more in that in 2013."

“Our promise to you in 2013 is to continue to build on the world we’ve built, to make it stronger, to refine and strengthen the game based on the core vision of Guild Wars 2, and to make GW2 an experience unlike any other online game.”

“The story arc of Flame and Frost will eventually conclude, and a new arc will begin. At that point, it won’t be possible to revisit the events of the previous story arc, so be sure to see everything by the time Flame and Frost concludes!

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: LordGustoff.3752

LordGustoff.3752

LordGustoff, I think your scenario could be plausible if Anet was releasing huge PvE content every month, but they’re not. Remember the first month of F&F where we were just fixing signs? Or the second month where there were just a couple new events? If they do the same thing with the next living story, a person logging on after the F&F dungeon goes away would still get the impression that nothing of significance has been added to the game. I know I would.

Even if the living story that follows F&F started with a huge content update, wouldn’t it be better to give a returning player this content PLUS the dungeon that they would have missed?

Considering all the negative feedback on how slow the beginning of the F&F content moved, I doubt that Anet would release the next living story as slow. But of course I am just speculating.

As for appearing that nothing of significance has been added to the game… well I don’t see how that is any different than any other MMO’s release cycle – meaning as far as I am aware, I can’t think of any other MMO that has any major permanent content updates in between expansion releases. At least with GW2, we get something more often than the 2-3 year expansion release cycle.

In GW2 we’ve gotten (an albeit useless) Southsun Cove, FOTM, and a complete overhaul of the Ascalon Catacombs Dungeon, not to mention they have successfully gotten people back into the open world by making meta-events worth doing (IMO, I’m on Crystal Desert and the open world feels pretty active to me). I feel like that’s a fair amount of permanent content for the game being out less than a year.

To answer your last question, no I don’t think it would be better to give a returning player new content plus access to something they may have missed. One of the major points that Anet sold the game on was a world that evolves and changes over time – and there have been many complaints on the forms that Anet hasn’t delivered on this selling point. If they are going to maintain the feel of a world that evolves and changes, there needs to be content that is temporary and can be missed. It’s the only way to deliver on this selling point. The only other way around it is changing the direction of the game.

Personally I like it the way it is.

If you did what they did, you would have what they have.
You have what you have because you do what you do.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Word is that this new flame and frost instance will be a limited-time deal, much like just about everything else that’s been added to the game lately.

This is a bad, bad move. How is this game supposed to look like it’s growing and being developed if nothing ever stays? Person A quits before flame and frost. Person A decides to come back after Flame and Frost has been turned off. Person A sees no new content. “Boo, this game doesn’t get development at all!”

I know that it, personally, leaves a bad taste in my mouth when we’re given content that so much dev-time was devoted to only to have much of it be temporary. Please ensure that at least the 5-man dungeon is permanent.

It’s already decidedly going to be removed in the May patch, so there’s no requesting or changing the mid of A.Net.

The whole idea of Living Story is A.Net’s objective for this game. They’re not going to add tons of bloat content to the game, only to have it played once and never touched again (see every pre-85 raid/dungeon in WoW right now). Content here will get used up in the story arch it belongs to, then it will be ended and the next story arch of Living Story starts again.

Bits and pieces of previous story arches stay in for a long while. Lion’s Arch still has yet to finish the Light House build from the Karka invasion back in November. The fountain in the middle of the city took roughly 4 months to be built back up after it got destroyed in October.

As for if someone leave before the content started and then comes back after the content ends, then they’d have missed that content but have been here for the new content. They’ll be here for whatever new Living Story is effecting the game at that time.

P.S. I think you’re ignoring the other content added besides the temporary content. There’s been new sPvP maps, the custom arenas release Tuesday, spectator mode is getting in, Fractals have been added, Guild Missions are amazing fun, WvW ranks added, new siege weapons incoming, many new Dynamic Events have been speckled throughout the game’s world, Southsun Cove has evolved every patch since it was found. There’s been tons of regular content added beyond just the Living Story content, blinders need to be removed to see it.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Trakarg.2095

Trakarg.2095

Word is that this new flame and frost instance will be a limited-time deal, much like just about everything else that’s been added to the game lately.

This is a bad, bad move. How is this game supposed to look like it’s growing and being developed if nothing ever stays? Person A quits before flame and frost. Person A decides to come back after Flame and Frost has been turned off. Person A sees no new content. “Boo, this game doesn’t get development at all!”

I know that it, personally, leaves a bad taste in my mouth when we’re given content that so much dev-time was devoted to only to have much of it be temporary. Please ensure that at least the 5-man dungeon is permanent.

It’s already decidedly going to be removed in the May patch, so there’s no requesting or changing the mid of A.Net.

The whole idea of Living Story is A.Net’s objective for this game. They’re not going to add tons of bloat content to the game, only to have it played once and never touched again (see every pre-85 raid/dungeon in WoW right now). Content here will get used up in the story arch it belongs to, then it will be ended and the next story arch of Living Story starts again.

Bits and pieces of previous story arches stay in for a long while. Lion’s Arch still has yet to finish the Light House build from the Karka invasion back in November. The fountain in the middle of the city took roughly 4 months to be built back up after it got destroyed in October.

As for if someone leave before the content started and then comes back after the content ends, then they’d have missed that content but have been here for the new content. They’ll be here for whatever new Living Story is effecting the game at that time.

P.S. I think you’re ignoring the other content added besides the temporary content. There’s been new sPvP maps, the custom arenas release Tuesday, spectator mode is getting in, Fractals have been added, Guild Missions are amazing fun, WvW ranks added, new siege weapons incoming, many new Dynamic Events have been speckled throughout the game’s world, Southsun Cove has evolved every patch since it was found. There’s been tons of regular content added beyond just the Living Story content, blinders need to be removed to see it.

That’s nice, but it doesn’t change the fact that there is no practical reason to remove an instanced dungeon once it has been introduced. We haven’t removed any story dungeons, even though the story in all of them is considered “complete.”

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

So now in addition to the dungeon being temporary (not even available for two weeks. It goes away May 12th), they’re adding a new material (Azurite) that’s going to be temporary (and account bound) as well. Source
Slowly but surely I’m really starting to hate Anets choices. Between the temp content and them killing any reason to have alts, I’m not sure how much I’ll keep playing.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

It goes away on May 12th? Really?

Dear god. That makes no sense.

Given that the stuff added in January is still there now I thought that this would have lasted until the patch at the end of May (maybe a week or two into June). Why the sudden time pressure?

I hope they have something impressive lined up for May 13th if that is the case.

in Flame and Frost

skullmount.1758

It goes away on May 12th? Really?

Dear god. That makes no sense.

Given that the stuff added in January is still there now I thought that this would have lasted until the patch at the end of May (maybe a week or two into June). Why the sudden time pressure?

I hope they have something impressive lined up for May 13th if that is the case.

Thats what I’ve been wondering. I also thought it would last throughout May, since everything else has been a month/however long till next patch. I just don’t get some of their decisions anymore.

Darkhaven server

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

Also thought it would for an entire month. Possible reason might be a May 12th update that, like the Jan/Feb, is a prelude to the next living story (though tbh if this is true they should hold this off since time spent in a finale is more important than time spent in a prelude)

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

What a kitten waste of time to put effort into making temporary content. It’s all for nothing in 2 months, and players who join after that will never even know about it.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Furutre.2193

Furutre.2193

Stop crying. This content is amazing, it makes the world feel alive. If you dont like it, play something else. Im tierd of people complaining all the time about the great content Anet releases.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Wait, wasn’t there something about it changing after a couple of weeks? Rather than being removed?

I was trying to find it but I can’t In the patch notes it says:

“Entrances to the Molten Weapons Facility change over time as new locations are found.”

Yeah, I thought it was something about the Molten Weapons Facility becoming fixed in place after 2 weeks? I wish I could remember where I read that (IIRC that is).

in Flame and Frost

Milennin.4825

Stop crying. This content is amazing, it makes the world feel alive. If you dont like it, play something else. Im tierd of people complaining all the time about the great content Anet releases.

How’s the world alive when the content disappears?
How about we just make every dungeon a one-time only experience to make the world feel more alive? Like, it’s breaking my precious immersion, being able to beat the same boss over again! Why do world bosses keep coming back even though they’ve been killed by players a million times now?

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

How about we just make every dungeon a one-time only experience to make the world feel more alive? Like, it’s breaking my precious immersion, being able to beat the same boss over again! Why do world bosses keep coming back even though they’ve been killed by players a million times now?

The dungeon is tied to the invasion from the Molten Alliance.
After we have defeated the Molten Alliance it would make little sense to still have it there (especially since everything else gets removed).

The world bosses are not the same. Several of them is not actually killed and those that are is actually dead, but another character like them takes its place. (The Shatterer is a rank after all, not a specific dragon).

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Flame and Frost

Milennin.4825

The dungeon is tied to the invasion from the Molten Alliance.
After we have defeated the Molten Alliance it would make little sense to still have it there (especially since everything else gets removed).

The world bosses are not the same. Several of them is not actually killed and those that are is actually dead, but another character like them takes its place. (The Shatterer is a rank after all, not a specific dragon).

OK, then where do all these Giganticus Lupicus’ keep coming from? I mean, I keep killing them, but they always come back! And there I thought they were extinct. Why do enemies respawn out of thin air on the world map? Where do all these Orichalcum mines come from every day? I keep mining the same area, but every day there’s more, surely this can’t be right… right?

in Flame and Frost

lordkrall.7241

OK, then where do all these Giganticus Lupicus’ keep coming from? I mean, I keep killing them, but they always come back! And there I thought they were extinct. Why do enemies respawn out of thin air on the world map? Where do all these Orichalcum mines come from every day? I keep mining the same area, but every day there’s more, surely this can’t be right… right?

The dungeons are actually locked in time I believe.
That would of course work with the Molten dungeon as well, IF everything else was still there. But since it don’t it will be a rather major issue to explain a dungeon where two complete strangers (that is not part of any of the Orders nor important to their race or the world at large) suddently wants your help do defeat an enemy that you had no clue existed.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Flame and Frost

Milennin.4825

I have yet to hear a convincing argument why this content should be temporary.

I don’t buy this because: living world crap. We’re playing a videogame here, not a fantasy world simulator (and even if it was, this game would be doing a kitten -poor job).

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Eluveitie.1290

Eluveitie.1290

Can you still visit and participate in the invasion of Normandy? No? Oh, thought so. Because it ended years ago and you probably weren’t born in the time to go there.

That’s the idea. There’s a lot of lore to this game, so time continuity is important. Plus, there’s the exclusivity factor. If you give someone who just joined the game the chance to have something that the player who has played since Beta has, then there’s no special rewards that people can go and say “yes, I was there when it came out”.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Amaroth.8917

Amaroth.8917

I am a new player that started last week. As a new player who won’t have a chance to participate in the new content I think its a BIG negative for the game. I support seasonal content being limited, but this is disappointing.

in Flame and Frost

Milennin.4825

Can you still visit and participate in the invasion of Normandy? No? Oh, thought so. Because it ended years ago and you probably weren’t born in the time to go there.

That’s the idea. There’s a lot of lore to this game, so time continuity is important. Plus, there’s the exclusivity factor. If you give someone who just joined the game the chance to have something that the player who has played since Beta has, then there’s no special rewards that people can go and say “yes, I was there when it came out”.

Argument does not hold up when:
-I can run other dungeons just fine without them disappearing from my game.
-Enemies appear out of thin air on the overworld.
-Orr never changes, even after I have beaten Zhaitan.
-World bosses return every few hours, no matter how often they are killed.
-Natural resources grow back every 24 hours.

Exclusivity does nothing to improve gameplay. It doesn’t make the game better, or more fun to play. It doesn’t do anything.
These devs have been working on creating a new dungeon, when they could have spent their time reworking current content. Like, I don’t know, fixing Citadel of Flames path 1 so it isn’t face-rolled by a group of 5 idiots every 4 minutes. Maybe fix the numerous bugs. Maybe make current dungeon bosses more than punching bags with a massive HP bar.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Amaroth.8917

Amaroth.8917

I am a new player that started last week. I am very disappointed I won’t have the opportunity to participate in the new patch content.

in Flame and Frost

lordkrall.7241

I am a new player that started last week. I am very disappointed I won’t have the opportunity to participate in the new patch content.

Why not?
It is in the starter areas, and you are upscaled to level 80 in the dungeon.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: acedragonz.9387

acedragonz.9387

Argument does not hold up when:
-I can run other dungeons just fine without them disappearing from my game.
-Enemies appear out of thin air on the overworld.
-Orr never changes, even after I have beaten Zhaitan.
-World bosses return every few hours, no matter how often they are killed.
-Natural resources grow back every 24 hours.

Exclusivity does nothing to improve gameplay. It doesn’t make the game better, or more fun to play. It doesn’t do anything.
These devs have been working on creating a new dungeon, when they could have spent their time reworking current content. Like, I don’t know, fixing Citadel of Flames path 1 so it isn’t face-rolled by a group of 5 idiots every 4 minutes. Maybe fix the numerous bugs. Maybe make current dungeon bosses more than punching bags with a massive HP bar.

Very easy solution. Don’t play.. If you don’t like it why bother? Others obviously enjoy it, so why are you talking about it being a waste of time if only the minority thinks that? I don’t regret a second that I invested in this Living Story.

in Flame and Frost

Milennin.4825

Very easy solution. Don’t play.. If you don’t like it why bother? Others obviously enjoy it, so why are you talking about it being a waste of time if only the minority thinks that? I don’t regret a second that I invested in this Living Story.

Really? Did you even read my post? Why the hell would I want content to stay in the game if I didn’t like it? …

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Deimos.9285

Deimos.9285

Personally I love the fact that the game keeps having one time events like this, it really makes it worthwhile to actually play on a consistent basis so you can experience the events unfold. It also rewards the people that are dedicated enough to be playing more often rather than those that play for a week and take three months off. Basically the more frequently you play the more you should get out of the game, in my opinion there is nothing wrong with that.

I am Death incarnate.

in Flame and Frost

acedragonz.9387

Really? Did you even read my post? Why the hell would I want content to stay in the game if I didn’t like it? …

I am not talking about the content per say. I should’ve explained better. The F&F will leave marks on Tyria while other dungeons do not. Thus it being repeatable is not relevant to the storyline but in F&F it is. If you do not like the fact that they are actually trying to make something different with an MMO.. then leave.

in Flame and Frost

Milennin.4825

Personally I love the fact that the game keeps having one time events like this, it really makes it worthwhile to actually play on a consistent basis so you can experience the events unfold. It also rewards the people that are dedicated enough to be playing more often rather than those that play for a week and take three months off. Basically the more frequently you play the more you should get out of the game, in my opinion there is nothing wrong with that.

So, it’s only a reward if it’s temporary? Why is the content not a reward if it’s there to stay? What does anyone gain from someone missing out on temporary content?

in Flame and Frost

skullmount.1758

Except that you could still get that with the events (like closing MA portals, take back settlements, etc.) that are part of the one time LS content. The bigger pieces, like the dungeon, are then wasted content, as the OP says, since we only get to play it for so long. The devs spent (I’m assuming, but pretty sure it has to be accurate) a lot more time on the dungeon than the events.
Any future player who finds out about previous content (however they find it out, if they do at all) is SOL., because, oops, you weren’t here from the beginning so you don’t get to enjoy any of this.

Darkhaven server

in Flame and Frost

Milennin.4825

I am not talking about the content per say. I should’ve explained better. The F&F will leave marks on Tyria while other dungeons do not. Thus it being repeatable is not relevant to the storyline but in F&F it is. If you do not like the fact that they are actually trying to make something different with an MMO.. then leave.

How does content that completely disappears after a set time leave a mark on Tyria? And even then, answer this for me: What does temporary content add to the game after it’s gone? How does this content improve the game, not just at this moment, but in the years to come?

As for your final piece of advice, here’s something for you: if you do not like the fact that I’m wanting content to stay in the game… then leave.

in Flame and Frost

acedragonz.9387

How does content that completely disappears after a set time leave a mark on Tyria? And even then, answer this for me: What does temporary content add to the game after it’s gone? How does this content improve the game, not just at this moment, but in the years to come?

As for your final piece of advice, here’s something for you: if you do not like the fact that I’m wanting content to stay in the game… then leave.

For every action there is a reaction. The destruction of the Molten Alliance will have an impact one something thus continuing the Living Story.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Deimos.9285

Deimos.9285

So, it’s only a reward if it’s temporary? Why is the content not a reward if it’s there to stay? What does anyone gain from someone missing out on temporary content?

It’s a reward for the people that are playing the game for the two weeks that it is available, you end up remembering one time events far longer than you will another dungeon that will just be phased out of play as it is not CoF P1. The point of it is you can say “I was there” in 3 years when new players are still joining the game and admiring your fused gauntlets. It brings more history to the game and the dedicated players will be seen as something to aspire to by the newer players in the future.

I am Death incarnate.

in Flame and Frost

Milennin.4825

For every action there is a reaction. The destruction of the Molten Alliance will have an impact one something thus continuing the Living Story.

OK, but I still need a reason why a player who joins any time beyond next month should care that this content ever existed? On the other hand, I’m sure they will care about the terrible state current, permanent, dungeons are in.

in Flame and Frost

acedragonz.9387

OK, but I still need a reason why a player who joins any time beyond next month should care that this content ever existed? On the other hand, I’m sure they will care about the terrible state current, permanent, dungeons are in.

Ugh… w/e have it your way you won. BRAVO! Explaining it to you is like explaining it to a wall ._.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Xista.7391

Xista.7391

I think it would be nice if temporary content would be stretched to 2-3 months, instead of 1 month or less (where it would make sense).

I don’t see why content can’t overlap a little.

In-game opinions of Skyhammer: http://i.imgur.com/FKymDjC.jpg

in Flame and Frost

acedragonz.9387

I think it would be nice if temporary content would be stretched to 2-3 months, instead of 1 month or less (where it would make sense).

I don’t see why content can’t overlap a little.

I agree with you… but they’d also have to release a lot more of content to “keep it fresh”.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

What a kitten waste of time to put effort into making temporary content. It’s all for nothing in 2 months, and players who join after that will never even know about it.

They’re giving us free new content each month for our non-subscription accounts, rather than releasing a pay-for expansion? What a waste of time, indeed.

in Flame and Frost

Milennin.4825

They’re giving us free new content each month for our non-subscription accounts, rather than releasing a pay-for expansion? What a waste of time, indeed.

Yup, when they could have made it a permanent addition to the game.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: MorganOneNine.1025

MorganOneNine.1025

Easy solution (with some programming, of course)… Keep the physical dungeon itself, remove the Molten enemies after two weeks, populate it with another type of enemy that moved in after the Molten was defeated, and make it a permanent dungeon. Easy-peesy way to have both temporary and permanent content without wasting the resources that went into creating it: it becomes another dungeon for future players, while still being fun for those who participated in its inception.

in Flame and Frost

Milennin.4825

^ I would support that.

in Flame and Frost

skullmount.1758

Easy solution (with some programming, of course)… Keep the physical dungeon itself, remove the Molten enemies after two weeks, populate it with another type of enemy that moved in after the Molten was defeated, and make it a permanent dungeon. Easy-peesy way to have both temporary and permanent content without wasting the resources that went into creating it: it becomes another dungeon for future players, while still being fun for those who participated in its inception.

I guess that would work. Would still need to keep the mechanics somehow.
I prefer the idea of a historian or something at the dungeons start saying this is what happened. Would be both lore friendly (kinda) and would make it so new players know that something happened here/was added.

Darkhaven server

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

What was A-Net thinking? I mean seriously. Why waste time on this dungeon? I can understand making holiday events temporary, but i’m just baffled that they couldn’t add some kind of storyline to keep it permanent.

After defeating the dungeon, they could’ve added something like:
“The molten alliance has defeated, but their operations continue underground.”

I could understand if they were pumping out dungeons and content every month, but this has spanned for several months, and it’s development time is too slow to justify an ever-changing world.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: sonicwhip.9052

sonicwhip.9052

Temporary content is very unwise for a game that still does not have enough permanent content to satisfy the pve crowd.
I don’t think I will even continue playing if the next months patch is another temporary content update that lasts for a month or less.
we need some mother kitten permanent things to do.

in Flame and Frost

Milennin.4825

Considering the quality of the new dungeon it’s bad that it’s being removed…

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Vulpis.8063

Vulpis.8063

I don’t mind the temporary content, but when it comes at the exclusion of permanent content then it is a problem.

Flame & Frost is not permanent content though.

I think that’s the point he was trying to make—they’re putting all this effort into temporary content, and next to none into permanant content.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Vulpis.8063

Vulpis.8063

From all the interviews I’ve seen, they seem to mention frequently that story content will come and go. And players may miss out on the “history” of guild wars 2 if they are not playing during those times. I think this is a development style they are doing, and it sort of makes sense because they want the world to be as living and changing as possible. While some things are on a constant repeat timer, I think story they want to unfold and then end so another story can begin.

You know, I’m reminded of another game that tried to run with the same game-plan. It was called Myst Uru (and Uru Online. And Myst Online, though by that point, they’d alreadygone just running the thing in maintenance mode). Well, you see how well that worked out…

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: wookiee.4631

wookiee.4631

I don’t see why there can’t be a nice mix of permanent and temporary content. Lost Shores added some permanent stuff, obviously, but the story didn’t last. That’s fine, we still have things that were left behind: a new map, and a new dungeon, and that lighthouse is gone.

I honestly wasn’t expecting much from this patch, and it seems to be proving me right. I’m still bored. It just culminate in a dungeon. No giant boss in a new location or something. No big twists. 5 guys join up and do another dungeon. That dungeon maybe fun, but I don’t think it’ll stick with players as much. Southsun Cove maybe empty and dull right now, but at least it was significant and stands out on the world map. I look forward to when they finally fix it because it’ll make it more of a significant area.

I was hyped for F&F initially, but it’s worn out now. It certainly could have been worse, but it just doesn’t engage me. It’s only their first Living Story, so Anet deserves some slack, I just hope that future Living Stories are more interesting and leave more of an impact. So…no to temporary content that leaves nothing permanent in the game world. Better luck next time.

Guild: Northern Wolf Clan [WOLF]

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: steelwind.1054

steelwind.1054

Makes perfect sense to me! Temporary content leads to cash shop spikes (get em’ before there gone mentality). ANet has no plans on making GW2 anything but a short term game with high turnover, they could care less about keeping players long term. Just get em into the cash shop, get them to bust out their wallets, then try to get em back with the next temp content, what you do in between isn’t their concern.

For all you that adore B2P/f2P, enjoy, this is what you get, exactly what you pay for.

in Flame and Frost

Milennin.4825

ANet has no plans on making GW2 anything but a short term game with high turnover, they could care less about keeping players long term. Just get em into the cash shop, get them to bust out their wallets, then try to get em back with the next temp content, what you do in between isn’t their concern.

People stop playing → people losing ingame friends → even less people playing → results in smaller player base for the next patch → lower sales next patch

So no, I’m pretty sure they’d want people to keep playing.