Rox, the Charr

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I like her eyes. I personally do think they’re not ordinary for charr, but it’s her own thing. You could say ridiculous, but there’s many people out there that don’t look “normal” in real life too.

Instead of pointing out how ugly she is (which to me just point out to me how visually attached people are), I kind of think her weird looking eyes give her more character than anything else.

If you compare the chat about Braham and Rox, then we are all about how wonderful Brahams armour is and little (though some) about how he actually looks.

Rox is easily the MOST recognizable character in the game, due to her appearance, instead of her attire. I think it’s pretty unique too her, maybe slightly over the top, but to be honest, she looks cute-ish for a charr.

Ofcourse , this is me talking about her as a character, instead of as some set of polygons like you ave all been doing. :P

You’re totally objectifying Rox! T_T (Oh wait, she IS a set of polygons. =p)

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

We don’t know anything about her character. Her attitude, acting, and dialogue will determine her character, not the way she looks. We are talking strictly about the way her eyes looks here, which at the moment is very un-charrlike. Proportions is an important aesthetic component of beauty, and has been studied and categorized thoroughly by people far more knowledgeable in the topics than any poster here (myself included). At the moment, her face has some serious problems with its proportions (due to her eyes).

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: ocaritna.9785

ocaritna.9785

I think Rox was design young, as she maybe as a high spirited-teenager, hence her big eyes, but I (or we) don’t know how much height she have, right? (i could be wrong tho)

Just a shame that Rox didn’t get any special armor/weapon like Braham tho….Feels like Braham is the main character (of the story) that is super important and Rox is only his sidekick, that less important.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Shagaz.6209

Shagaz.6209

My Charr: “Greetings soldier, tribune Rytlock sent me to help you inve… What is wrong with your face?!”
Rox: “:(”
MC: “Buahahahahaha!!!”
R: “:(((”
MC: “BUAHAHAHAHA!!!”
R: ‘hangs herself’
MC: ‘chokes to death’

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

My Charr: “Greetings soldier, tribune Rytlock sent me to help you inve… What is wrong with your face?!”
Rox: “:(”
MC: “Buahahahahaha!!!”
R: “:(((”
MC: “BUAHAHAHAHA!!!”
R: ‘hangs herself’
MC: ‘chokes to death’

true story

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Lomaj.1726

Lomaj.1726

I don’t understand what’s the problem here. Aye she looks lil funny but then all charr are special. :P Other then that it’s a charr thing don’t question this.

Look to those who walked before to lead those who walk after.
Proud charr guardian!

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

while she does look a little silly so do most young animals, example, my puppy i have has huge eyes that dont fit his head either, in fact they looked slightly similar(minus the horns of course)

so maybe the char mid teens look slightly like weird, not like we usually see the whole maturing process for the charr anyways.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Greyfur.1082

Greyfur.1082

while she does look a little silly so do most young animals, example, my puppy i have has huge eyes that dont fit his head either, in fact they looked slightly similar(minus the horns of course)

so maybe the char mid teens look slightly like weird, not like we usually see the whole maturing process for the charr anyways.

Doubt it, charr cubs look “normal” and we all know what adult and old charr look like, so you are proposing that in the transition years between them they look this odd? No its look is deliberate; for what reason? I don’t know.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Doubt it, charr cubs look “normal” and we all know what adult and old charr look like, so you are proposing that in the transition years between them they look this odd? No its look is deliberate; for what reason? I don’t know.

maybe disfigured in an accident or something, im sure they have a reason for going against what the charr are supposed to look like

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

Current ingame cubs are not cubs actually, they are scaled down adults. So Rox can be first step to change that.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Greyfur.1082

Current ingame cubs are not cubs actually, they are scaled down adults. So Rox can be first step to change that.

like actual big cats?

Attachments:

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Do people really want every single character of every single race to look exactly the same?

I have yet to find a single race in real life where every single specimen looks identical, there is after all always specimen that do not “fit in”.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: KorKor.9452

KorKor.9452

like actual big cats?

You get a gold star!

Also there is a discussion going on about Rox in the Charr section on the forums as well.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: sarcasmosaur.8720

sarcasmosaur.8720

All I can think of is this poor creature.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Ben K.7329

Ben K.7329

Do people really want every single character of every single race to look exactly the same?

No. Just the same species would be nice.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

KorKor.9452

All I can think of is this poor creature.

So what you are saying is the Norn get what is suppose to be an attractive buff young hero to save day. While the Charr get a blind defective diseased cat that no warband wanted to quote -lead them into battle-.

That is horrifying!

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

No. Just the same species would be nice.

So a human with lets say big ears is not the same species as a human with small ears?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Ben K.7329

Ben K.7329

A better comparison would be a human and a gibbon.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

“Valiant young Norn”
“This young Charr”

Obviously, they were trying to make them look more “young” when compared to others, but tried a little too hard. :P (Braham isn’t SO bad)

I just hope that doesn’t mean… Mother of God… Their voices. >.>

Braham is essentially the human male model norn sized…which if this was an available bodytype for male norn ALL my characters would be norn. As it stands the current male norn bodytype is rediculous unless you are wearing the heaviest looking armor you can find.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

I decreased the eyes just by 15% and I think it looks alot better imho (although I would go with a 50% reduction)

Left one looks a lot better. Still has that cutesy look that Anet was probably going for but the eyes aren’t massively big.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I personally welcome attempts to break free from stereotypes. It will be nice to see a character that doesn’t fit into this cookie cutter, cliché and shallow writting they’ve been churning out so far. Honestly, I’m well and truly sick of the female charr in GW2, they all seem like the same person to me. If they characterise Rox in any way close to a cute and fluffy kitty cat I’ll praise them for breaking the tedious mould they’ve set so far.

One reason why Eir was one of the more interesting characters in GW2 is because she’s not the typical norn. She’s wise and tactful, not some brash brute that charges into battle skull first. As important as it is to flesh out your world and have key characters represent the lore and characteristics of each race so players can become accustomed to them, carbon copy clichés make for terribly boring allies.

I hope they dye her armour pink and give her baby versions of ranger pets (maybe a bear cub or a leopard cub) and get a cutesy girls voice actor for her. Oh and she should refer to herself in the third person. Well maybe that’s going overboard, but seriously, a female charr that is characterised as cute would be a breakthrough for GW2.

I beg to differ. Female characters have been portrayed as either sex dolls or cute kittens in almost every online game there is. The harsh, serious female charr in Guild Wars 2 are a refreshing change from the sort of thing you see in Tera, WoW, and so on. There shouldn’t be cute & cuddly little cat female charr any more than there should be female charr with double-d’s, lipstick, and thongs. It just doesn’t belong as part of the race.

Female charr have not been portrayed that way. To write her the way they’ve written most (if not all) of the female charr in the game would be the boring and cliché thing to do. It doesn’t matter how females are characterised in other games, this isn’t a feminist issue – there are plenty of aggressive and fierce female charr in GW2 – it’s the norm, this is a new character in a game that has the opportunity to be very different from everything that came before her whether your personal agenda likes that or not.

Tybalt Leftpaw is very different from most male charr (or any charr for that matter). He is by far one of the most engaging and interesting characters in the entire game. He is far more memorable than characters that act the same as every other person from their respective races. It’s far more rewarding to break a stereotype (in this case, the stereotype of a masculine female charr) than it is to constantly pander to it because you want to promote some kind of feminist agenda. Diversity is far more interesting than shallow and one dimensional characterisations of races (and pandering to an issue takes legitimacy and realism away from it). One of the problems of GW2 is that racial molds and characterisations are very one dimensional and stereotypical. We aren’t dealing with wider gaming media, we are dealing with the world of Tyria. In the world of Tyria, the masculine female charr has been done to death. A cutesy female charr is something new and interesting.

We know very little about her aside from her appearance, it’s easily possible she could be the most masculine charr in personality but with a cutesy kitten appearance (although most people seem to think there is nothing cute about her). How she looks and how she acts (and the possibility that they might contrast with each other) might be part of the story they are trying to tell.

As a side note, for all the people praising female charr aesthetic design. How many female charr players do you see in the game? Just because you like something doesn’t mean everyone does. Had the female asura not made compromises on their former aesthetic… lack of cuteness, we would see a lot less of them. The same thing was the case for female monks in GW1. I’m not going to participate in an anime conversation because not only have I never been to a convention, I don’t think Rox looks like the average anime character. All the anime talk sounds like the nonsense that took place when GW1 gave away cat ears for Halloween.

(edited by Shiren.9532)

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

Really? Nobody else finds strange that she has male horns?

The big eyes are the lesser problems here! She has male horns attached in a very weird way to her head (the horn sizes and shapes don’t match the head size and shape, it’s like someone glued them to her head)… Really, male horns… on a female charr O.o for Kalla’s sake!

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

KorKor.9452

@Shiren – Not quoted due to forum text limits.

Do you know what the Charr stand for at all? Have you not read the idea behind the female Charr at all?

http://web.archive.org/web/20120209094625/http://www.arena.net/blog/the-artistic-origin-of-the-charr

It really seems like you need to reread this again and actually get into your head the idea of what a Charr is really supposed to be. The true boring way here to do a Charr is to make them a bloody stereotype that has flooded so many other MMORPG’s just like the bad metal thong armor for female characters instead of sticking to the guns they laid out and creating an amazingly fierce young Charr out to take on the world. It has nothing to do with a personal agenda and instead trying to keep at least one bloody game breaking a mold instead of falling back into the same ol garbage we see in every other fantasy game at the drop of a hat.

Tybalt Leftpaw was unique because of the story written for him and the way he was voiced. Not because he was taken apart and forced to be what we see for males in every other MMORPG which is a male empowerment fantasy. He broke away from other MMORPG stereotypes because of creative writing and they still kept him as what made the Charr great which was a fierce giant cat. Once again what made him loveable was his STORY and VOICE ACTOR not a stereotype male empowerment fantasy from ANOTHER game. Diversity for the Charr is continuing with the current theme laid out in even more creative ways. Touching on what actually makes a manly man manly and what makes a woman a woman without dipping into the bowl of rotten societal stereotypes to do it or even dipping into the bowl of generic Anime garbage just to draw in a key demographic while alienating the rest and destroying what you claimed the race was supposed to be like. A cutesy beast race is boring and overdone so much online and in other communities who we shall not name I could puke.

We know more then people like you keep hinting at due to her appearance and the brief bio given to us about her. You can draw many conclusions thanks to what they have given us and it reads like it was ripped out of a 90’s JRPG. A hero that nobody wanted out against all odds with her giant eyes that will shoot giant eye beams! (Not really) This is the groundwork that all the rest of her will based off of and that is the most important part of any design for a character. What you lay here you often do not get to take back without a major retcon. The only thing missing from that picture to make it even more generic anime is a high anime voice and some random giant emote.

Actually if you bothered to actually check the tails of the Charr you come across instead of assuming they are all male because they do not have the generic face that the npc’s have. You’d notice that a very sizable chunk of Charr are female Charr who used the other more creative faces for this genre. They used the ugly face, the covered in horns, the big nose, and more. The kinds of faces you usually do not get for female types in these kinds of games because usually the female half of the race is designed as garbage eye candy only in a fantasy game or like some cute throwaway anime cat designed to draw in the people who will hug even a cactus if you give it cute eyes.

The Asura didn’t suddenly compromise to get more people. They were that bloody way in the stinking beta and due to their being many types of Asura in GW1 they had loads to build on for all kinds of looks. While with the female Charr who did not exist in GW1 they had to create something from total scratch. Which takes far more time and effort to get done. Which they were cut short on by having to redo a entire race called the Sylvari and it really shows in their animations throughout their race. Once you put armor on them you are hard pressed to see them as anything but generic human without a helmet off. Lets not rush ruin Charr options as well eh?

Also it seems like you are reaching pretty far with that last comment of yours. It is a real stretch to try to compare a style item that is 100% optional and useable by all like the bunny ears in GW2. Next to something that is going to set the standard of all future teenage like Charr and be apart of a living story that has been said will be around for quite some time. So anything added to it is going to be here awhile and likely make it into other aspects of the game such as character creation. The Charr need more creativity that draws from other sources for options that stay true to what they are and not some generic garbage trying to pull an audience that will alienate the fans of them already here.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

KorKor.9452

Other post got to big so it was cut but there are loads of peeps in LA that think the same way. I do not know if they are to scared to post, do not like posting, or are even tired of trying to fight stereotype tropes in games because the people who will quit in a week or not even use the face but claim to like it are louder more aggressive posters usually in these cases. I wish I had taken more screenshots and maybe I shall try in the future to do so but during WvW this tail end of a conversation survived from being pushed on off because they wanted to talk about it.

People like the horns not the face.

Attachments:

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Other post got to big so it was cut but there are loads of peeps in LA that think the same way. I do not know if they are to scared to post, do not like posting, or are even tired of trying to fight stereotype tropes in games because the people who will quit in a week or not even use the face but claim to like it are louder more aggressive posters usually in these cases. I wish I had taken more screenshots and maybe I shall try in the future to do so but during WvW this tail end of a conversation survived from being pushed on off because they wanted to talk about it.

People like the horns not the face.

Those people don’t post because they don’t have a problem. There’s nothing wrong with her. She’s a charr.

You act like it’s a beauty contest and you have a thing for the traditional look. lol

BTW, trying to prove your point that everyone in the game is talking about this extremely game breaking issue of personal taste by having a private conversation with your friend…

It is not helping. Not doing much for your honesty either.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Leaf.3156

Leaf.3156

This is just their April Fool’s joke. Or at least I hope so.

Still scared by how many people would support it.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

I think there are better ways to make characters stand out than to completely deform their facial anatomy.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

She’s watching you…

(Couldn’t resist!)

Attachments:

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

I think there are better ways to make characters stand out than to completely deform their facial anatomy.

its not the face its just the kitten anime eyes she has. For the love of … wate charrs dont have god’s …. errr… Just shrink them down befor this go’s live anet

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

TwoBit.5903

its not the face its just the kitten anime eyes she has. For the love of … wate charrs dont have god’s …. errr… Just shrink them down befor this go’s live anet

Eyes are most important part of the face, and those eyes make seem as though Rox has had a few pieces of her cheek kittenemoved. Speaking of which, compared to the more common and lionesque charr, the lower part of her face looks it’s being squeezed together. Makes her look very alien-like.

Edit: r.e.move is censored? What?

(edited by TwoBit.5903)

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Sorry to derail the derail and get on topic, but notice the text:

quote: During the chaos, Rox—a charr ranger lacking a warband—is sent on a desperate mercy mission by Rytlock Brimstone himself. Team up with this young charr gladium

Anyone suspect she may be little more than a cub? – The low angle camera hides her actual size, if she’s just a kid then the “giant cutesy kitty eyes” might not so be out of place…

Incidentlly, I want those eyes in the makeover pack

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

(edited by Ryuujin.8236)

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Blackmoon.6837

Blackmoon.6837

I hope Anet is ignoring this negative feedback, otherwise their dignity is going down the drain.

The eyes look fine. Sure they come off as an exaggeration of what’s already in the game, but that’s part of building strong diversity in characters. The fact that it’s the eyes that people are worried about instead of say her tail; is a testament to how some people need some psychological evaluation.

Patheitc thread needs some deleting.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

I never said anything wrong about voicing opinion, however, there is always a reason for it. It’s not freewill, but I’ll leave it at that as not to derail this thread too much.

Regardless, the subject matter is so minuscule that all you should take from my response is how much of a parody I made.

The real important factor here is rather you have any respect for Anet’s decisions or not. They are people, like you and me and more importantly, it’s their world to create, not ours. We’re simply indulging in it.

If they want characters with these sorts of styles, then so be it. It’s your fault you can’t cope. I’m just trying to make you see how disrespectful you’re being to the people who designed Rox.

As customers, we have every right to so called “disrespect” who designed Rox. Every character in every game can and will be criticized. Saying that a thread should be deleted is implying that people should not be allowed to express their criticism of Rox. With that being said, deciding to change what you gave your customers in the first place is not a good business practice, and mostly the reason why I will never be buying an Elder Scrolls game again.
Back more on topic, Rox is a disturbing looking character, and that’s what this thread is voicing. Charr should not look like creepy dolls, they should look like tough big cats.

Well said, Euin

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: catqeer.1954

catqeer.1954

they are trying way to hard to make her look young

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Blackmoon.6837

I disagree, I believe that there is quite a bit of constructive criticism in this thread, particularly with what Greyfur did by showing how she would look with properly scaled eyes. What sort of criteria are you holding that makes this thread irrelevant, other then the fact you disagree?

Greyfur’s simple photo manipulation is hardly constructive. There are numerous factors you have to consider before simply downsizing the eyes.

For example, what is the proper anatomy? Do you really believe that the creators of this creature don’t understand what they’re doing? You think we do? Realistically, I’d say it’s entirely possible for a creature of that size and spec to be born with eyes that size. Why deny the possibility?

What about the fact that we have yet to actually meet this character. This one picture has yet to prove anything over the wide range of expressions she has in store. Perhaps this shot was taken while the character was surprised or giving off an expression that had her eyes wide for a moment.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

TwoBit.5903

When you get down to it, Rox is a character made for the player to interact with. If shock and fear are not the intended reactions, then her design has strayed from ArenaNets intentions. It’s by no means the players fault for reacting a certain way. That’s something the designer needs to consider, not the player.

Also, unless she is able to dynamically adjust both the width and height of her eyes (which would be even more terrifying), it’s likely that she’ll be just as ugly throughout the campaign.

(edited by TwoBit.5903)

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Euin.3578

Euin.3578

Greyfur’s simple photo manipulation is hardly constructive. There are numerous factors you have to consider before simply downsizing the eyes.

For example, what is the proper anatomy? Do you really believe that the creators of this creature don’t understand what they’re doing? You think we do? Realistically, I’d say it’s entirely possible for a creature of that size and spec to be born with eyes that size. Why deny the possibility?

What about the fact that we have yet to actually meet this character. This one picture has yet to prove anything over the wide range of expressions she has in store. Perhaps this shot was taken while the character was surprised or giving off an expression that had her eyes wide for a moment.

Unfortunately, here I will have to repeat quite a bit of the thread here to explain this.
1. Charr cubs do not look remotely like her. They are downscaled adults. They have normal sized eyes.
2. She is obviously not a child charr, she is “adolescent”. Adolecent big cats nor charr do not have such large eyes.
3. Comparing her to all other charr, she is completely mutant-like in eye to face ratio. “Realistically” she is a charr, and needs their anatomy, not giant doll eyes. I highly doubt this is the result of an expression, because not a single npc nor player character in this game makes facial expressions beyond scripted emotes, which it is obvious in this shot that its not, she is in the “walking with weapon drawn” animation.This entire thread is about Rox’s terrifying “thousand yard” staring eyes and what can be done to fix it.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

As customers, we have every right to so called “disrespect” who designed Rox. Every character in every game can and will be criticized. Saying that a thread should be deleted is implying that people should not be allowed to express their criticism of Rox. With that being said, deciding to change what you gave your customers in the first place is not a good business practice, and mostly the reason why I will never be buying an Elder Scrolls game again.
Back more on topic, Rox is a disturbing looking character, and that’s what this thread is voicing. Charr should not look like creepy dolls, they should look like tough big cats.

Your opinion, and the others in this thread are 100% arbitrary. There’s no constructive criticism and that’s what makes this thread irrelevant.

It’s not a matter of denying voice. It’s a matter of establishing value, something that can actually help Anet and thus benefit us in the long run. None of that is in this thread.

telling them that the problem seems to be the eyes and that shrinking them down ((which is possible)) would go a long way in making her look better isn’t constructive???

It also lets them know even if they dont change her big old anime eye’s now that we dont like it and maybe they wont do it to a charr again

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Greyfur.1082

I disagree, I believe that there is quite a bit of constructive criticism in this thread, particularly with what Greyfur did by showing how she would look with properly scaled eyes. What sort of criteria are you holding that makes this thread irrelevant, other then the fact you disagree?

Being a paid character artist gives me the insight into proper anatomy of many different creatures. Yes there are variation on ever type of animal, plant etc. but Rox is an (ugly) anomaly charr; when compared to everything ArenaNet said the charr were supposed to be from before BETA.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

This type of stuff always happens when it enters anthro mythology art xD. You make it cutesy and then you get shun by that certain community. Priceless….

I know the eyes are big, but remember those can be adjusted. I think people are forgetting if this becomes a options to the character selection. You can shrink the eyes.

Anyways if it happens it happens I’m cool with it either way cause it’s just one more model adding to the charr selection.

Beats a blank right?

Attachments:

Pineapples

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Blackmoon.6837

Unfortunately, here I will have to repeat quite a bit of the thread here to explain this.
1. Charr cubs do not look remotely like her. They are downscaled adults. They have normal sized eyes.
2. She is obviously not a child charr, she is “adolescent”. Adolecent big cats nor charr do not have such large eyes.
3. Comparing her to all other charr, she is completely mutant-like in eye to face ratio. “Realistically” she is a charr, and needs their anatomy, not giant doll eyes. I highly doubt this is the result of an expression, because not a single npc nor player character in this game makes facial expressions beyond scripted emotes, which it is obvious in this shot that its not, she is in the “walking with weapon drawn” animation.This entire thread is about Rox’s terrifying “thousand yard” staring eyes and what can be done to fix it.

Your assessments are based on what’s already in the game. Again, there’s a massive spectrum to be had. With this specific character they’re attempting to unlock that spectrum and yet you deny them by suggesting that what’s in game is final?

I’m not understanding your inability to think open-mindedly about the possibilities of how Anet could enhance their game’s diversity, without actually challenging their own style, aesthetics and core elements. You’re simply shutting them down, for arbitrary reasons, by suggesting that they can’t widen their perspectives of their fictional universe.

“They look too big and creep me out”. Good for you.

/thread

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: MikeRocks.9243

MikeRocks.9243

Hmmm… Rox kind of reminds me of a certain someone…

Attachments:

The Long Road
Goal: To have one character of every race, gender, and armor class combination at level 80.
Current progress: Human 4/6 | Charr 1/6 | Norn 1/6 | Sylvari 1/6 | Asura 1/6 | Total: 8/30

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Greyfur.1082

This type of stuff always happens when it enters anthro mythology art xD. You make it cutesy and then you get shun by that certain community. Priceless….

I know the eyes are big, but remember those can be adjusted. I think people are forgetting if this becomes a options to the character selection. You can shrink the eyes.

Anyways if it happens it happens I’m cool with it either way cause it’s just one more model adding to the charr selection.

Beats a blank right?

I would not complain if this was for character creation but for one of the main characters in the upcoming story line? I have to voice my opinion and displeasure.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

I would not complain if this was for character creation but for one of the main characters in the upcoming story line? I have to voice my opinion and displeasure.

Understandable,

As for me when I saw Rox my immediate thought was wow a new model coming in? looks youthful and as I read the info it said young charr xD

If she’s going to be one of the main characters in the upcoming storyline then that’s cool too. I’m interested how her character is going to be played than just her cutesy big eyes appearance.

For now her character is a determined one, but I wonder what’s the rest of her personality is going to be?

Will she be a boring main character? or a fun main character? No matter how the model looks, it all depends on the character’s performance on what the creators gave them.

Pineapples

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Euin.3578

Your assessments are based on what’s already in the game. Again, there’s a massive spectrum to be had. With this specific character they’re attempting to unlock that spectrum and yet you deny them by suggesting that what’s in game is final?

I’m not understanding your inability to think open-mindedly about the possibilities of how Anet could enhance their game’s diversity, without actually challenging their own style, aesthetics and core elements. You’re simply shutting them down, for arbitrary reasons, by suggesting that they can’t widen their perspectives of their fictional universe.

“They look too big and creep me out”. Good for you.

/thread

I’m too closed minded to want Anet to make their charr look like charr? Please. You can get a charr to look like a kitten without making a mutant. There’s broadening diversity, and there’s alienating fans of the race. Imagine if the humans had a new representative of their race to stand beside Logan. Imagine that she has giant ears that challenge the size of her head. Now, would you tell people that its “broadening diversity”, that we should accept this human with elephant ears? How could it not be, after all, if a charr with giant eyes is acceptable a human with massive ears must be too. Its hard to want to affiliate yourself with a race when its representatives are over the top caricatures of that race. As others have stated before me, she also goes against what Arenanet originally intended to set as the female charr’s appearance. Its not being irrational to want Arenanet to make a Charr that doesn’t alienate the charr’s fanbase.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Ryuujin.8236

I’m too closed minded to want Anet to make their charr look like charr?

I’m sorry, and you are the leading authority on Charr designs since when exactly? – An elephant eared human would be stupid because you don’t get elephant eared humans, but Arenanet created the Charr. Where they take the charr design aesthetic is theirs to decide.

Personally I like Rox and hope we see the eye option extended to the makeover kit :p

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Greyfur.1082

I wonder if she has any relation to Rox Ashreign, horns have the same vibe.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Rox_Ashreign

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Euin.3578

I’m sorry, and you are the leading authority on Charr designs since when exactly? – An elephant eared human would be stupid because you don’t get elephant eared humans, but Arenanet created the Charr. Where they take the charr design aesthetic is theirs to decide.

Personally I like Rox and hope we see the eye option extended to the makeover kit :p

I’m sorry, but I do not wish that the representative of my very favorite race be a bug-eyed caricature of a charr, thank you. Its not a matter of being a expert on charr designs at all, either, its knowing that a giant eyed charr is gonna weird quite a few people out.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Greyfur.1082

I’m too closed minded to want Anet to make their charr look like charr?

from Arenanet , designers of the charr

“Trying to add a more human-like feminine appearance to the Charr in an effort to gain the best of both worlds wound up watering down the entire design too much: “The human part of our Charr catgirl wasn’t human enough to be cute, and the Charr part of her wasn’t Charr enough to be fierce, let alone look like a female of the same species. So while this experiment was very important for visualization, in the end it didn’t give us the result we wanted.”

“Above all else, we needed to be true to the race, of course!”

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/04/20/arenanet-on-designing-the-charr-a-fire-worshipping-race-of-hel/

(edited by Greyfur.1082)

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Ryuujin.8236

@ Euin: Then just say that! – go to the suggestions forum and tell them you don’t like the design, instead of acting like some some law has been violated.

@Greyfur: And who created Rox again? – Arenanet, so it still stands, it’s their bloody design xD

You know the original charr had horns coming out their shoulders ; but modern charr no longer have those? – But they’re still charr right, or does their new sleeker, less spikey look betray the original concept?

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

(edited by Ryuujin.8236)