Rox, the Charr

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: KorKor.9452

KorKor.9452

But at least Rox isn’t Rytlock’s long-lost adult love child we (and everyone else) never knew about…

Don’t give them ideas! They could do it at a later date since she is sticking around! ;.;

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Superpal.4961

Superpal.4961

OP here ..

Just wanted to login and say, Rox doesn’t look half-bad ingame, anymore. I like the way she looks now. I’m going to assume that you scaled her eyes down, and if you did, thanks for listening to your players.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

KorKor.9452

Probably has more to do with the fact you are not zoomed in on her when looking at her and she is in a larger environment. Still a bad call to do it at all.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Nimmi.1650

Nimmi.1650

She’s cute. I think she looks like Tardar Sauce, Grumpy cat.

Hehehehehe, Tardar Sauce. <3

Anyways, she doesn’t look that bad in game. The eyes could still use a improvement as they are very flat. Her voice doesn’t fit her appearance all that well either. It sounds much older than she looks. I’m pretty sure that is something we will have to get used to based on Arena-nets past replies towards VOs. If any VO needs fixing, it’s Trahearne’s. Overall, I don’t mind her. Still seems like a Charr (with very very big eyes) to me, but a Charr no less. XD

(edited by Nimmi.1650)

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Pietoro.2014

Pietoro.2014

Rox looks idiotic. She’s an adorable kitten with googly eyes, which is just wrong and doesn’t even match her voice.

The rest of her characterization is good, though. I like her personality.

+Gaura Havocshot – Engineer
+Felzza – Elementalist
+Roienna – Guardian

(edited by Pietoro.2014)

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: BlakThornArrow.2389

BlakThornArrow.2389

I Loved Rox a great new character.

White Lions Claw , dungeon, Living Story ,
Personal Story, WvsW , Guild Missions, Living Story and so much more.
(We have Teamspeak and a forum ) join us!

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

Rox’s voice doesn’t match her appearance – she sounds too old for a young charr. And her eyes still scare me.

Still too hideously anime for a charr.

Edit: I just listened to her voice. So VERY out of place.

Well she’s a charr after all and from what we understand their voices do get a little deep when they’re older. Now if she was a extremely young cub then maybe her voice would match her appearance.

Pineapples

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: catqeer.1954

catqeer.1954

Well personality wise Rox is better then Braham… Braham is just a lot like his mother that is for sure… <.<

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

KorKor.9452

Ya, but a character should be good on it’s own. Not because when compared to the other offering it just looks better.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

Ok…. I have a SERIOUS problem with this. WHY IS ROX WEARING MASCARA? HORRIBLE! DX
My charr is dying of laughter

Attachments:

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Pietoro.2014

Pietoro.2014

Just sad, that they violate their own professed design philosophy of female charr by cute-ing Rox up to a parody-level and even giving her huge eyelashes.

CUZ OTHERWISE HOW WILL WE KNOW SHE’S A GURL, RIGHT?

+Gaura Havocshot – Engineer
+Felzza – Elementalist
+Roienna – Guardian

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: FenGuild.1097

FenGuild.1097

Just sad, that they violate their own professed design philosophy of female charr by cute-ing Rox up to a parody-level and even giving her huge eyelashes.

That’s what happens when charrs get humans influence since they work together now……well most

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

OP here ..

Just wanted to login and say, Rox doesn’t look half-bad ingame, anymore. I like the way she looks now. I’m going to assume that you scaled her eyes down, and if you did, thanks for listening to your players.

dud what are you talking about there still huge and thay even Clip ever so slightly with her face animations

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: quickthorn.4918

quickthorn.4918

If Rox’s voice had matched the huge eyes and childlike look, it would have been overkill. I actually liked her voice because I was concerned they’d make it high pitched and squeaky after seeing her picture. Made her seem less silly than she appeared.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Okay character, but those eyes are a little too big.

Probably Tybalt’s secret niece that he never mentioned. I can see why.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

Ok…. I have a SERIOUS problem with this. WHY IS ROX WEARING MASCARA? HORRIBLE! DX

I saw this and did a double take. She has EYELASHES!!! I was like…what!?!? Also, she can’t blink because her eyeballs stick out farther than her eyelids.

Seriously, watch her. She NEVER blinks.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

But at least Rox isn’t Rytlock’s long-lost adult love child we (and everyone else) never knew about…

Don’t give them ideas! They could do it at a later date since she is sticking around! ;.;

I think he was taking a stab at Braham, if you haven’t done his quest yet.

I was pleased with her look in game. It didn’t look deformed in any way to me. She actually looked pretty cool and was more memorable (aesthetically) than every other female charr I’ve come across.

I didn’t like her voice. She sounds like every other female charr in the game. I wish they’d stop doing that. It also doesn’t seem to match her looks. The voice actor failed to capture anything other than “grr I’m a female charr, hear me roar” which is really disappointing.

I liked the devourer bit. I was hoping for some kind of pet taming in the story, this was probably the least interesting variation of that, especially when she kept on saying she had enough pets despite not having any pet with her (that was really confusing). I like the idea of the ranger and the pet being equals. In this relationship it really seems like the pet needs Rox more than she needs it. I really hope further in the story the devourer proves itself to be invaluable to Rox to really put them both on equal footing.

Personally I don’t find Rox to be as interesting as Broham. Proving herself to Rytlock doesn’t really seem all that interesting of a motivation to me (compared to avenging her fallen warband or some kind of personal involvement such as Broham’s village and people, even if it has that soap opera estranged son element to it). Can you imagine Liam Neeson in Taken being anywhere near as engaging if he was doing all those things as part of a job interview for MI6 or just on a generic mission for the CIA? He is engaging because he is on a mission to save his daughter, Rox is on a mission to prove herself to Rytlock. Aside from not her having a warband and Rytlock being awesome, why do we care about her quest? Why does it have to be his warband? If she (or her mother/insert other personal connection) was more personally involved with the hatchery or the Molten Alliance it might seem more relevant or important that we be involved with her (it’s possible, her last war band was killed in a mining explosion, that could be the doing of the dredge). Her story might be more engaging. It’s early days yet and it could be revealed later that she has more meat to her (or perhaps I zoned out and missed what is already there). So far I don’t find her very engaging as a character.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

catqeer.1954

you do realize a lot of charr patterns cause that… a lot of cats look like they have eye liner on….

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

you do realize a lot of charr patterns cause that… a lot of cats look like they have eye liner on….

The fact that they’re lining unnaturally ginormous eyes causes them to look artificial and showy.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Euin.3578

Euin.3578

Its the eyelashes. She has more glamourous eyelashes then most humans naturally have.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: RetroSamus.9860

RetroSamus.9860

I think that Rox looks pretty awesome to be honest. Also kinda like her personality and her voice.
She doesn’t has that fearing aura most char has that makes her kinda an outcast.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Kreslin.6832

Kreslin.6832

Yes, she’s cute, but why? Why? Why are Arena changing canon charr’s appearance to something completely different? Why? Why? Why?
No, I’m seriously. What the cause? Rox looks like she is from anime cartoon. She looks completely different from canon charr. And I ask you why? To satisfy a new audience, who like Anime? Or what? I don’t get it. It’s not a charr from GW world. This charr are from some Anime. I don’t understand this. Can someone explain me this? Why are Arena doing this?

Seize the day.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an anime about giant cat people. I’m sure it exists, but I wouldn’t think it was common enough to provoke this kind of hysterical reaction from the paranoid anime haters.

As someone who watches anime, I have no idea what any of you are talking about, she looks far more like she belongs in GW2 than any anime I’ve ever watched.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

quickthorn.4918

Tybalt and Dinky were atypical in certain ways for charr because they were quite whimsical and not doing the tough-guy act, but fans tended to like them for it. So while the pet devourer thing was a bit cutesy, it’s not as if there’s no precedent at all.

I am a little concerned they’re going to retcon the appearance of charr in order to make them more popular as a class, because I hate it when games decide to inflict sudden, drastic plastic surgery on races (hello, dragon age 2 elves). It’s worse when existing characters change appearance though, and that isn’t the case.

I think a bishonen Rytlock would break my brain… heh heh.

It’s probably best not to jump to any hasty conclusions based on just one model.

(edited by quickthorn.4918)

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Good day,

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/march-2013/

Genuine question .. are Rox’ eyes going to look like that? Right now, she looks like a comic-stylised character. I’ll have a hard time taking her serious, and importantly; immerse myself in the lore you’re writing into the game.

Thanks.

The reason you don’t care about this character is because they have no personality. There is no back story to them. Where they come from, why are they’re here, why they’re important.

These characters just come out of no where, have no back story and no personality.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

By the way; the big cute eyes and mascara is an old technique used to care about the story. A lazy one too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uJarz7BYnHA#t=409s

(edited by Calae.1738)

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Brutalistik.6473

Yes, she’s cute, but why? Why? Why are Arena changing canon charr’s appearance to something completely different? Why? Why? Why?
No, I’m seriously. What the cause? Rox looks like she is from anime cartoon. She looks completely different from canon charr. And I ask you why? To satisfy a new audience, who like Anime? Or what? I don’t get it. It’s not a charr from GW world. This charr are from some Anime. I don’t understand this. Can someone explain me this? Why are Arena doing this?

That doesn’t make sense..why would it be a permanent look when most likely it would be a extra option for the face selection.

Pineapples

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Kreslin.6832

Kreslin.6832

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an anime about giant cat people. I’m sure it exists, but I wouldn’t think it was common enough to provoke this kind of hysterical reaction from the paranoid anime haters.

As someone who watches anime, I have no idea what any of you are talking about, she looks far more like she belongs in GW2 than any anime I’ve ever watched.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Seize the day.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I like her look.
It has a certain “I can haz warbandz?!” feel to it.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

Hi, everyone. The team has been following the spirited discussion about Rox (and Braham). I just wanted to pop in with a note from our Lead Character Artist so he can provide some background information and clarity about the art direction for Rox.

Aaron Coberly, Lead Character Artist

Hey everyone, this is Aaron Coberly, the Lead Character Artist here on Guild Wars 2. I can see that there are a lot of strong feelings about the design decisions for Rox so I wanted to come on and set the record straight. The goal with Rox was to expand the charr’s visual options. She is a young charr so we thought it would be a good opportunity to introduce the cute kitty cat end of the spectrum. This isn’t a change of direction but an expansion of the race. Our goal is to add more variety to all of the races over time and we saw this as a good opportunity to do this with the female charr. The charr are a feline race, which gives us a lot of options—from the grizzled matronly lioness to the strong puma and even the cute house cat. We don’t want to limit our options to just one section of the feline genus. Our designs are inspired by all the feline variety that exists in nature.

Further on down the road, it does mean that if we introduce new faces into character creation, they will include a broader range. Does that mean that this particular face will be in there? No, because she is a main character, but there could be a cute kitty cat style face.

Hope that information helps you all understand the thinking behind Rox’s appearance.

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Euin.3578

Hi, everyone. The team has been following the spirited discussion about Rox (and Braham). I just wanted to pop in with a note from our Lead Character Artist so he can provide some background information and clarity about the art direction for Rox.

Hey everyone, this is Aaron Coberly, the Lead Character Artist here on Guild Wars 2. I can see that there are a lot of strong feelings about the design decisions for Rox so I wanted to come on and set the record straight. The goal with Rox was to expand the charr’s visual options. She is a young charr so we thought it would be a good opportunity to introduce the cute kitty cat end of the spectrum. This isn’t a change of direction but an expansion of the race. Our goal is to add more variety to all of the races over time and we saw this as a good opportunity to do this with the female charr. The charr are a feline race, which gives us a lot of options—from the grizzled matronly lioness to the strong puma and even the cute house cat. We don’t want to limit our options to just one section of the feline genus. Our designs are inspired by all the feline variety that exists in nature.

Further on down the road, it does mean that if we introduce new faces into character creation, they will include a broader range. Does that mean that this particular face will be in there? No, because she is a main character, but there could be a cute kitty cat style face.

Hope that information helps you all understand the thinking behind Rox’s appearance.

Can we please have some meaner faces too?

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Brutalistik.6473

No, because she is a main character, but there could be a cute kitty cat style face.

Awww fiddlesticks!, but also good news and great approach to give more options to the race. However back on topic…….fiddlesticks!

Pineapples

(edited by Brutalistik.6473)

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

quickthorn.4918

If they’re going to introduce more house cat options, please consider offering more typical domestic cat colours/patterns – not to take any existing stuff away but as an extra. I say this because I originally wanted to create a charr with fur like my own cat (black/white tuxedo cat) and no patterns really gave that effect. I know it’s just fluff, but just putting that idea out there.

Fur colour aside I like them fierce looking though.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Blur.3465

Blur.3465

Our goal is to add more variety to all of the races over time .

Soooo…does that mean we’ll get more character creation options in the future? I have high hopes about that

Feanor

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: RandomHominid.3456

RandomHominid.3456

I get that bigger eyes = child appearance, however Rox doesn’t look like a cute young house cat, she looks like a poster anime child creature. It really does not fit with the style of GW2, it belongs in cute asian-themed games.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Brutalistik.6473

I get that bigger eyes = child appearance, however Rox doesn’t look like a cute young house cat, she looks like a poster anime child creature. It really does not fit with the style of GW2, it belongs in cute asian-themed games.

Well that’s what happens when you make alliances with the humans in game. You adapt to their culture looking pretty.

Pineapples

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Ok…. I have a SERIOUS problem with this. WHY IS ROX WEARING MASCARA?

Two of the cats I deal with in my close circle of friends have black rings around their eyes like that – one’s a savanna, the other is a random mishmash house-cat.

They do come like that in nature, honest. It’s probably a good adaptation – cuts down glare, important to animals with pretty excellent low-light sensitivity.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Also, why is it that Rox cannot wear mascara? Confused.

Also, for everyone complaining that Rox does not fit the Charr theme. Why does every Charr have to fit under a certain characteristic? Can there not be a variety??

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Thou shalt not challenge that all non-humans exist in a state of mono-culture.

Complexity scares people.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Nimmi.1650

Nimmi.1650

Yay more faces for character creation would be awesome ! : D

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Euin.3578

Also, for everyone complaining that Rox does not fit the Charr theme. Why does every Charr have to fit under a certain characteristic? Can there not be a variety??

A big cat wearing makeup is a little out there, no?

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

Thank you for the insight! I don’t have strong feelings about Rox’s appearance either way (although I’m really fond of her as a character), but hints at future customization options, and especially expanding the variety of appearances for each race, is very exciting!

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

Rox’s eyes are disturbingly large even for something domestic cat themed, and they plain look like they do not fit in her skull.

Adding variety is great and all, but she just looks incredibly out of place because the art theme she seems to use is a huge departure from almost any other Charr facial design. She looks like some creepy over exaggerated doll compared to other Charr.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Less out there than a big cat talking. This is a fantasy game and these are humanoid creatures. If they can walk around, talk, wear armor and clothing, why can they not wear make up?

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Less out there than a big cat talking. This is a fantasy game and these are humanoid creatures. If they can walk around, talk, wear armor and clothing, why can they not wear make up?

I’m thinking because people feel it’s unnatural and human like.

But I don’t have a problem with it. I mean, it’s not unheard of to want to participate in cultural behaviors when surrounded by them. I’d assume, if a human woman were to surround herself in Charr culture, she’d dress and act more similar to other females so why not the other way around? Could be a sign of curiosity or respect…-shrug-

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

catqeer.1954

Sweet now i can have the young youthful male charr I always wanted sweet…

(edited by catqeer.1954)

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Euin.3578

Mascara is actually extremely sticky, sticky and fur do not go together, secondly, charr claws, mascara tubes, and eyeballs also don’t mix together. That just sounds like a recipe for disaster. As long as they don’t start all wearing makeup its fine though. And no lipstick. Unless its for parody use.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Brutalistik.6473

Oh you know the orange and apples syndrome….

• History always repeats itself

Mascara is actually extremely sticky, sticky and fur do not go together, secondly, charr claws, mascara tubes, and eyeballs also don’t mix together. That just sounds like a recipe for disaster. As long as they don’t start all wearing makeup its fine though. And no lipstick. Unless its for parody use.

It’s a good thing it can happen in a video game right?

Pineapples

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

I’ll just throw my two cents in here. I get that they were going for a more “cute” look for her, however it’s those eyes. They’re well beyond the range of “cutesy” and firmly within the realm of pseudo anime character. To be honest her look is so jarring next to the other charr that I find her appearance rather disturbing.

That said I actually rather like what I’ve seen of her as a character so far and really enjoyed the mission and her dialogue throughout it and look forward to seeing more with her.

But really, for future reference when making cute charr can we at least keep their proportions within a reasonable range? I don’t think even housecat kittens have eyes as proportionally large as Rox’s.

Rox, the Charr

in Flame and Frost

Euin.3578

It’s a good thing it can happen in a video game right?

I would really rather it didn’t. Too much like a worgen for my tastes. Animals wearing makeup. Eugh. Talk about the creepiest thing ever.