Wasn't an "Expansion's Worth" of content

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Nor was it “Features you usually only get in Expansion”. I think the content amount was fine, but Anet, you need to get off this new “THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER” kick you’ve been doing recently. It takes content that is fine & makes it disappointing. I don’t know if it’s a new marketing or community guy or something, but they are making the company as a whole look bad.

It actually gives the “Anet lied!” fools some ammo in their rants. Stop over-selling your stuff. The F&F early content would have been bearable if you had said NOTHING about it. It would have felt more organic & interesting.

Please. It’s making you all look silly.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Snowmoon.1758

Snowmoon.1758

I hope they don’t go “You can plant an acorn and watch trees grow realtime” next.
I hope they don’t get infected by the “Peter Molyneux” syndrome.

Staunch Supporter of Mounts in Guild Wars 2. Gimme mah Fluffeh White Bunneh!!!
Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

2 weeks from now: Where’s my content from the past few months?

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: KjarlSeaspite.9573

KjarlSeaspite.9573

Would you prefer spending 15 bucks a month for the same content over and over like in WoW until they decide time for a new patch nearly 5 months later or would you prefer small updates over time?

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Wintyr.1780

Wintyr.1780

the content they are talking about is over the whole year not the first 4 months they stated these for months were to be imporvments on current content and would be small. So i dont see any lie’s yet

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Campalishous.9076

Campalishous.9076

The comment wasn’t specific to F&F but everything done over the past 3 months for all parts of the game. In total that is a lot of content & new features that most companies would have saved for an expac.

I do however agree they oversold F&F

[DIS] Campa Lishous

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Snowmoon.1758

Snowmoon.1758

Would you prefer spending 15 bucks a month for the same content over and over like in WoW until they decide time for a new patch nearly 5 months later or would you prefer small updates over time?

I prefer content to be permanent instead of temporary.
Anet is giving the signal (at least for me) that it is wasting it time and resources on producing temporary content.

Like the other thread that mentioned. They went thru the trouble of making a dungeon, just so it will only last for 12 days? What?
Either the dungeon is so stupidly easy and simple to design, or Anet employees really like churning out content.

Back to the topic tho, i felt it was really in bad taste to liken the Flame and Frost storyline to an actual expansion. It really adds fuel to the rumor that the game is not profitable anymore and they are not planning to release any more expansions this year (or ever).

I still don’t understand, why go thru all the trouble of designing temporary content that would be removed?? whats the logic in that?? Are they using GW2 as a testing ground to test out new idea for a new MMO that they are cooking up? It doesn’t make any sense.

Staunch Supporter of Mounts in Guild Wars 2. Gimme mah Fluffeh White Bunneh!!!
Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Maybe if the content was permanent, it would be better. I’m getting tired of having to play by THEIR schedule.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Cutedge.3802

Cutedge.3802

It’s not a matter of if Guild Wars 2 patches more than World of Warcraft (Spoiler Alert: they do), it’s a matter of setting expectations of what is coming. In terms of features, yeah they kind of delivered with the WvW levelling system, Guild Missions, and some sPvP features but in terms of content what did we get? Running around and hitting Use to repair signs? A dungeon that will be permanently removed in 2 weeks? A seasonal event that is set to be removed tomorrow until next year?

How is that an expansion’s worth of content?

You can only try and dare to live

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: BulletNG.7069

BulletNG.7069

I also expected more.

Dawn of Dementia [DUI] – Yak’s Bend
Formerly: Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] – Gate of Madness

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Rika.7249

Rika.7249

It’s not a matter of if Guild Wars 2 patches more than World of Warcraft (Spoiler Alert: they do), it’s a matter of setting expectations of what is coming. In terms of features, yeah they kind of delivered with the WvW levelling system, Guild Missions, and some sPvP features but in terms of content what did we get? Running around and hitting Use to repair signs? A dungeon that will be permanently removed in 2 weeks? A seasonal event that is set to be removed tomorrow until next year?

How is that an expansion’s worth of content?

It’s not. Meanwhile the Fractals – The ONLY means of achieving anything worthwhile, is collecting dust. No unique level X+ rewards for the best players. No new fractals. A 30 minute dungeon temporary dungeon that anyone can do, however..

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

the content they are talking about is over the whole year not the first 4 months they stated these for months were to be imporvments on current content and would be small. So i dont see any lie’s yet

F&F is done. When they said an expansion’s worth, they were talking in the context of F&F not the overall living story.
It’s not a LIE, it’s a cheesy sales pitch. If they want to look desperate, then by all means, stay the course. But they should just say what they are doing, not talk about how this “WILL CHANGE TYRIA FOREVERRRRR!!!” Frequent content updates are not special in the industry anymore.

To answer your non-relevant question with an option you didn’t provide: I prefer they stop over-selling their content & making them selves look foolish. It’s just dumb. F&F isn’t even close to an expansion of content, & it doesn’t provide features that are normally reserved for expansions either. If feels kinda pathetic when they need to over-hype stuff.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

Well they’ve done a TON of work on the back-end of the game, where they could have just left things the same way it was at launch. So I wouldn’t say there wasn’t an expansion’s worth of content… it’s just that most of it becomes “the new normal” after it’s out and not exciting to talk about.

On the other hand I do agree things seemed really, really, really weird with the whole implementation of F&F. Mad King was spot-on. Fractals were spot-on. Super Adventure Box was a great treat.

But F&F has felt at a loss for the kind of leadership those other projects had. Oh well. Hope Living Story gets a total reboot in the next chapter personally. Simplify the confusing quest structure, and diversify the underwhelming missions.

(edited by TurtleofPower.5641)

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Destai.9603

Destai.9603

I certainly don’t feel this was an expansion’s worth of content. It’s far less. The content that comprised the prelude and this release are so quick to complete. An expansion has things like new classes, zones, weapons, races, etc. So far we’ve received one new permanent zone that’s been neglected.

I’m not sure I like the idea of once in a lifetime content. That needs to stop. It adds unneeded pressure to play the game and play it right now. To enjoy the new temporary content like SAB, some players have to set aside their other goals like legendaries or world completion. That’s not fair and counterproductive to actually enjoying the game. Furthermore, so much work is put into content that happens just once.

SAB should remain in the game, it was well received. This new dungeon should remain the game. South Sun Cove should be fleshed out. I know they’re trying to let the game mature a bit before adding new weapons or classes – that’s fine. But don’t say it’s an expansion’s worth of content. I appreciate the content, it’s wonderful and enjoyable. I only wish it felt like it was going to last and remain meaningful in the game. Right now it just feels like ArenaNet is searching for ideas and identity.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I like the idea behind it all and as first shot at this “living world” concept, it’s decent enough. But, there’s much to learn from this. A 4 month arc of what was 2-3 nights gameplay caused it to feel too stretched and lost its epic feel. There’s no doubt hard work has gone in, its just too diffused across a too long period of time.

Has it changed the world? Not really. Maybe Southson, but there never quite felt the threat against Tyria. Sure, maybe Wayfarer had a threat, but at no point did Tyria’s subject cities feel on the brink of disaster. Maybe random attacks on it would have helped.

The marketing was over hyped by a massive way and the writing was not good – I do believe that the writing can pave the cracks over any gameplay issues. It doesn’t have to be a literary sensation, but its not even amateur level imo. If the the 3 pacts were involved, why were we as the “Commander” never involved apart from collecting listening devices? Why did we never be a part of their investigation? I don’t really like the Pacts personally, but they’re here to stay, so use them better for this sort of thing.

On the flip side, I did enjoy helping refugees. That was a varied event. Short, but atmospheric. The dungeon was also superb and I agree it was a good way to round off the story. I understand solo players frustrations, but I can’t see any other way to have told the story and aim for a “big” feel. It’s also free monthly content and taht has to be taken into account as well.

Much to reflect on by the LW team I suspect

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Vulpis.8063

Vulpis.8063

I’d rather spend another $40 and see the game world double in size, like it did with each of Factions and Nightfall in GW1. I’d also like to see Heroes make a return, if Arenanet is going to stick us with mandatory Raids just to finish a storyline. GW1 was great because you didn’t have to do that mess unless you wanted to, because an alternative was provided.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: KjarlSeaspite.9573

KjarlSeaspite.9573

F&F is done. When they said an expansion’s worth, they were talking in the context of F&F not the overall living story.
It’s not a LIE, it’s a cheesy sales pitch. If they want to look desperate, then by all means, stay the course. But they should just say what they are doing, not talk about how this “WILL CHANGE TYRIA FOREVERRRRR!!!” Frequent content updates are not special in the industry anymore.

To answer your non-relevant question with an option you didn’t provide: I prefer they stop over-selling their content & making them selves look foolish. It’s just dumb. F&F isn’t even close to an expansion of content, & it doesn’t provide features that are normally reserved for expansions either. If feels kinda pathetic when they need to over-hype stuff.

Where did they say F&F was going to be “expansion’s worth” of content?

If you’re so upset that you’re not getting what you want…then leave? If you don’t like the content then play something else, do something else until more content comes out that you like. Sorry they can’t pander to you specifically.

I personally enjoy the story and the guild i’m in actually have RP plots surrounding the Living Story, making it all the more interesting and fun when something new comes along. At least they’re doing what they promised with new content just about every month…WoW could never make or keep that promise…matter of fact not many MMOs can.

in Flame and Frost

Vulpis.8063

I personally enjoy the story and the guild i’m in actually have RP plots surrounding the Living Story, making it all the more interesting and fun when something new comes along. At least they’re doing what they promised with new content just about every month…WoW could never make or keep that promise…matter of fact not many MMOs can.

True—then again, most other MMOs, when they bring out new content, it stays, rather than vanishing forever within a few months after release. Which is kind of a disturbing thing when you consider ‘new content’ is usually used as means to try to lure ‘new players’. Now imagine when said player discovers that the very content that caused them to come here in the first place has gone ‘poof’. Granted, Arenanet would already have their money by that point, so I guess it probably doesn’t matter anyway.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

They backed off the “expansion worth of content” fairly quick. It was a gimmick that the marketing department forced the devs to use, against the devs wishes. Once the backlash started (almost immediately) they convinced the marketing department it was a bad idea and to drop it.

So if you want to blame someone blame the marketing department. All this was hinted at in a dev post shortly after they brought it up.

in Flame and Frost

Vulpis.8063

They backed off the “expansion worth of content” fairly quick. It was a gimmick that the marketing department forced the devs to use, against the devs wishes. Once the backlash started (almost immediately) they convinced the marketing department it was a bad idea and to drop it.

So if you want to blame someone blame the marketing department. All this was hinted at in a dev post shortly after they brought it up.

So who do we blame for the idiotic decision to end an otherwise completely soloable event with a single completely unsoloable dungeon, rendering all of the previous effort put into the event worthless? If that’s what they’re going to keep pulling, especially with content that’re basically just going to be thrown away (now talk about a waste of resources, money, and manpower!) , I’d just as soon they not bother with it at all, and instead put those wasted resources into permanant content rather than repeatedly flushing it down the drain with the temporary stuff.